Like Tree9843Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    tbh, any answer I gave would be a guess. I had a surgery done on my shoulder in 2005, and like everyone else here, heard the stories about surgeries and DQ's so I did some research, asked around on the forum, and asked guys on the job. They all said if there is no scar, don't mention it. If there is, and the dr's can find out about it, be honest because the surgery won't def DQ you, but lying about it will. I know a guy who got on with the same surgery I had, he had to get a note from the operating dr clearing him for duty.
    Thanks, I would rather be honest. I dunno if it qualifies as surgery. But I am sure they can find it on my insurance records.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Do any of you guys think a premature death of a parent from heart complications could DQ? I go every year to get checked out for what my father had and have never had an issue, but could that present one?
    No That reminds me of a science fiction movie, the one ethan hawk can't go into space because they have a cast system developed on DNA testing and genetics. That would be ridiculous if they could get DQ you
    mocon337 likes this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Many people failed the heart rate, others for various medical conditions. Those that failed the heart rate will have a second chance but 8:12 instead of 5:12 and with the doctors watching. Doctor sees you gasping for air or becoming disoriented and your finished. Stairs are at 60 steps per minute with a 50 pound vest. 3 min warm up with no weight and a 5 min rest before vest goes on. Being that we are ems the doctors also had our records pulled all sick leave and LODI documents. I have heard of a few people being DQed for excessive sick leave and/or LODI.
    Exam 2500
    List: 10x
    Medical: Passed
    CPAT: 7:50 Passed
    Candidate run: 9:30
    Class: 1/14/2013?

Forum Member

Checked my mail on the way to work tonight. CPAT notice came

First run is 12/1.

Thebigempty: that's interesting, I've always wondered if they would pull that info. Feels good to be a relatively good employee that doesn't abuse our sick leave policy/LODI.
    Last edited by Manhattan Medic; 11-13-2012 at 11:08 PM.
    zachryw2001 likes this.

Forum Member

if you had surgery on a joint, definitely expect to at the very least need a note from the dr who performed the surgery clearing you.
    I had broken my femur in the Army and have a rod in my leg and I passed both the nypd and fdny medicals. I just had to see the othro doc, but I was cleared in both cases.
    HopefulFF likes this.
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

eZc
    Forum Member

Default 40 lb weight vest for sale

Hey guys,
    Best of luck to you - I am a 6019'er who didn't score well enough on 2000 to have a shot.
    I had bought a 40 lb adjustable weight vest back then to train - looks like I won't be needing it now, so will sell to anyone interested with a reasonable offer. PM me if interested - I'm in nassau county, so local pickup/meetup would be preferred to save yourself the cost of shipping.
    Here's the product from sports authority website which is where I purchased from:

http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...=&{copy:camp}=

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcfd31 View Post
    I had broken my femur in the Army and have a rod in my leg and I passed both the nypd and fdny medicals. I just had to see the othro doc, but I was cleared in both cases.
    did you see their orthopedic dr or a personal one? When I was posting I couldn't remember which dr they sent the guy I spoke with to, but I believe it was a city dr.

Forum Member

anyone know the validity of a vision REQUIREMENT such has "you must have at least 20/40 vision" or get lasik to fix it so you can pass?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thebigempty View Post
    Many people failed the heart rate, others for various medical conditions. Those that failed the heart rate will have a second chance but 8:12 instead of 5:12 and with the doctors watching. Doctor sees you gasping for air or becoming disoriented and your finished. Stairs are at 60 steps per minute with a 50 pound vest. 3 min warm up with no weight and a 5 min rest before vest goes on. Being that we are ems the doctors also had our records pulled all sick leave and LODI documents. I have heard of a few people being DQed for excessive sick leave and/or LODI.

What is the max heart rate you are allowed to go up to before being disqualified? I can't remember from my 6019 medical if its 70%, 75%, etc.
    List 14XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bravest2009 View Post
    What is the max heart rate you are allowed to go up to before being disqualified? I can't remember from my 6019 medical if its 70%, 75%, etc.
    on the stair master its 220-age x .9
    for example if your 21 its 220-21 x.9 = 179

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by steven9d3 View Post
    on the stair master its 220-age x .9
    for example if your 21 its 220-21 x.9 = 179
    okay cool. so it's 90% of your max heart rate then for the medical. Thank you.
    List 14XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bravest2009 View Post
    okay cool. so it's 90% of your max heart rate then for the medical. Thank you.
    im 99% sure if im wrong someone please correct me

Forum Member

In mathematical order of operations, you would multiply your age by .9 and then subtract that from 220. Would that be the correct way of doing this, or would it be better represented by (220-age) x .9 as opposed to 220- (age x .9)?

Forum Member

How many times in this thread will this be repeated.

It makes more sense if you are aware that the way you calculate your theoretical max heart rate is by subtracting your age from 220. Since the maximum threshold for the medical is 90% of that, the correct equation would be (220-age)*0.9, which is done for 5:12, @ 60 steps/min, with a 50 pound vest.

Being anxious about the medical tomorrow I went to the fire academy today to use the stairs there. I did double the required amount of time [10:24 instead of 5:12] and was ****ing blown away to see my heart rate stayed steady at 155 the whole time (my goal was <175). Can't wait for tomorrow.

Forum Member

good luck tomorrow MM
    WTRBG likes this.

Forum Member

good luck tomorrow MM
    I second that. Good luck man.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    I second that. Good luck man.
    I third it. Knock it outta the park, man...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    How many times in this thread will this be repeated.

It makes more sense if you are aware that the way you calculate your theoretical max heart rate is by subtracting your age from 220. Since the maximum threshold for the medical is 90% of that, the correct equation would be (220-age)*0.9, which is done for 5:12, @ 60 steps/min, with a 50 pound vest.

Being anxious about the medical tomorrow I went to the fire academy today to use the stairs there. I did double the required amount of time [10:24 instead of 5:12] and was ****ing blown away to see my heart rate stayed steady at 155 the whole time (my goal was <175). Can't wait for tomorrow.
    good luck tomorrow

MembersZone Subscriber

Desire4theJob, sent you a PM

Forum Member

guys/girls don't lie on the medical if you had surgery tell them about it especially on the knee or ankle because they look at your joints very closely and if they see scars that resemble a surgical procedure its a goodbye good luck in your life an work on your cardio I saw a lot of sad faces today.
    01-13

Forum Member

A few things I'm wondering today.

First, if they are going to be so rigorous with candidates from 2500, how will they get to a class of anywhere close to 300 by January? Does that mean they will push the class back a month or two in order to try and put in some folks from the OC? They have never actually officially said the class will start in January…

Also, I wonder if they'll be this rigorous with medicals and backgrounds for candidates from the OC, considering that could kick open a hornets nest of criticism that they are using medicals and investigations to favor one group or another…

Anyways, all things we'll know the answer to before too long. Good luck to everyone on 2500 doing their medicals and CPAT in the near future.
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post

Also, I wonder if they'll be this rigorous with medicals and backgrounds for candidates from the OC, considering that could kick open a hornets nest of criticism that they are using medicals and investigations to favor one group or another…
    this is simply not true. theyare rigorous with medicals because they dont want someone to drop dead from poor health one day after being hired. and with the backround investigation, they will look into everything although i have heard of guys getting on with dwi's.

Forum Member

This whole process reminds me of the powerball jackpot... You go take the test, circle strongly agree for everything, get excited about a great score but in reality you only hit on the first number. 5 more numbers for the jackpot lol. God damn anxiety is building
    mocon337 likes this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

did you see their orthopedic dr or a personal one? When I was posting I couldn't remember which dr they sent the guy I spoke with to, but I believe it was a city dr.
    I had to go see the city doc down at 9mt. The only days he was there was Sat's.
    HopefulFF likes this.
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fightfor6019 View Post
    this is simply not true. theyare rigorous with medicals because they dont want someone to drop dead from poor health one day after being hired. and with the backround investigation, they will look into everything although i have heard of guys getting on with dwi's.
    What is "simply not true"? I was wondering what the future might hold for candidates from the OC. Since the future hasn't, you know, happened yet, it is neither true nor untrue.

All I was doing was wondering how rigorous they will be for candidates from the OC. Hearing the medical pass rates (what was it - 8 guys out of 70 the other day?) the rates are considerably lower than any previous class I've ever known anyone in. But speculation doesn't matter much. We'll find out soon enough.
    List # 53X

Thread Information