Like Tree9608Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Wow that really changes my whole perspective on LASIK gonna have to push back that thanks go the ingot dude
    FD Exam # 2000
    Score- 102
    List- 10xx
    CPAT- Passed
    Psych- Passed
    Medical - Passed
    Retest for stairs -Passed
    Medically cleared for hire....."can't wait" -Bart Scott

Forum Member

They probably got rid of that because requiring lasik discriminates on low income people.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Has anyone on here from List 2000 been called for the next steps after the written exam? I'm <350 on the list and am wondering when I can start to expect moving along in the process. My main issue is that I'm working full-time at a very demanding job right now and I can really do with knowing roughly how much time I need to get in shape again. If I can have a two month notice before the CPAT I'd be golden. If only life could be so predictable, though.... If anyone can share that'd be great, even from list #2500. Thanks!
    WTRBG likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fuoco83 View Post
    Has anyone on here from List 2000 been called for the next steps after the written exam? I'm <350 on the list and am wondering when I can start to expect moving along in the process. My main issue is that I'm working full-time at a very demanding job right now and I can really do with knowing roughly how much time I need to get in shape again. If I can have a two month notice before the CPAT I'd be golden. If only life could be so predictable, though.... If anyone can share that'd be great, even from list #2500. Thanks!

You need to start prepping for the CPAT and medical NOW. Even if you don't get the call till Nov. (highly unlikely) wouldn't you rather be prepared and ready than not be prepared and fail and blow an opportunity of a lifetime.
    Last edited by zachryw2001; 11-15-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: spelling
    Dannyvale likes this.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

You will be processed with the very first batch of candidates called from List 2000. It is not just the CPAT you need to train for, but perhaps more importantly the Medical (IMO). The CPAT, especially with the training course they'll give you, is more than manageable. But making sure your weight (and ESPECIALLY your cardio conditioning for the stair master) isn't something that everyone can just show up for and pass. Case in point, look at some of the DQ numbers for the past few pages. Conventional wisdom seems to have the first batch of List 2000 candidates (you included) being called early in 2013, probably Jan-March, so get yourself squared away.
    zachryw2001 likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

The cpat is a joke and you get a 12 week prep course for it so I wouldn't worry about it. I would, however, worry about the actual academy. Running 5 miles a day is not something an average person can pick up overnight
    zachryw2001 likes this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Thanks a lot for this info. So wait.... They give us 3 months to prepare before the medical and the CPAT? If that's the case, that's amazing. 3 months is enough time to get into marathon running shape! I was freaking out because I thought they'd give just 2-4 weeks...

Can anyone also share how the process goes? Is it CPAT first and then medical, background check, etc or is it all totally random?

Thanks again for all the helpful info. Right now I'm useless for sharing anything back since I've got no experience in this yet. I'm definitely not one of those people that Romney accuses of being takers. I feel guilty taking and not being able to give anything back.
    Last edited by fuoco83; 11-15-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks a lot for this info. So wait.... They give us 3 months to prepare before the medical and the CPAT? If that's the case, that's amazing. 3 months is enough time to get into marathon running shape! I was freaking out because I thought they'd give just 2-4 weeks...

Can anyone also share how the process goes? Is it CPAT first and then medical, background check, etc or is it all totally random?

Thanks again for all the helpful info. Right now I'm useless for sharing anything back since I've got no experience in this yet. I'm definitely not one of those people that Romney accuses of being takers. I feel guilty taking and not being able to give anything back.
    they give you 12 weeks cpat prep 1 day a week which is not even close enough to the amount of work you should be doing on your own, the medical can be before or after your cpat Im not sure what order they use but you'll def be meeting with a investigator before any other step.
    01-13

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BKLYNBOY View Post
    they give you 12 weeks cpat prep 1 day a week which is not even close enough to the amount of work you should be doing on your own, the medical can be before or after your cpat Im not sure what order they use but you'll def be meeting with a investigator before any other step.

so you go through the background check before CPAT and the Medical?

Forum Member

yea because if there is anything that is going to automatically DQ like age,felony, etc it basically weeds people out doesn't make sense to start a guy with cpat training or set them up for a medical if they are over the age limit
    01-13

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BKLYNBOY View Post
    Thanks for the info

Forum Member

So I'm a little freaked out about the residency issue after reading a few posts on here about it.
    Last edited by fuoco83; 04-04-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Forum Member

So I'm a little freaked out about the residency issue after reading a few posts on here about it.

Sorry for the length on this one, but I've got to explain my situation:

I asked everywhere I could about the residency credit question both before, during, and after the test and I could never get a straight answer. So here's my deal: I believe the timeframe for residency for this test was July 2010-August 2011. I was living overseas and moved back to NYC at the end of July 2010. I started working in August and can prove my residency from August onwards. I even bought my own place last year here in the City and I've been legit living here since the end of July 2010.

One person along the process told me to just put it because they would be pretty flexible if I literally just moved back to NYC in July 2010 and I can prove everything from August onwards. Proving anything in July would be tough besides notarized, sworn statements by people because I was staying with a family member in NYC while I got myself settled and started working in August of that year.

Can anyone here advise, based on their experiences, as to whether or not I'd be able to keep my residency points? Thanks a lot.
    Straight from the notice -> NEW YORK CITY RESIDENCY CREDIT: Points equivalent to five percent of the maximum possible final exam score will be added to the final exam score of those candidates who qualify for the New York City Residency Credit. To be eligible for the residency credit, a candidate must achieve a passing score on the examination, and must produce proof, as listed below, of the candidate’s continuous residency in New York City from July 1, 2010 through June 30, 2011. Candidates interested in seeking the residency credit must apply by following the instructions which will be provided on the date of the computer-based test. Merely supplying a New York City address on the application form for this examination does not serve as a request for the residency credit. Requests for residency credit must be received by DCAS before the eligible list is established.

I'm pretty sure they will not be "flexible" with this. They will cover their ***** to the fullest just to make sure they leave no room for any more lawsuits. You can only imagine how many others will try to get notarized letters from family members that live within the boroughs just to get those extra five points and quite frankly the chances of them taking notarized letters and thats it probably wont happen. You will not lose anything by trying but it's just going to be tough to have that overlooked. Regardless good luck bro.
    Last edited by Jukez; 11-16-2012 at 12:14 AM.

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

fuoco83, I think that a couple of notarized letters and sworn statements should be sufficient enough to prove that you were living within the five boros for that one month; moreover, providing that you have more than enough documents to prove it at their request. I know many will disagree with me, but I can't see one person getting disqualified just for not being able to produce one months worth of residency proof. What's your list number around if you don't mind me asking?
    Last edited by FdnytolifeE293; 11-16-2012 at 01:37 AM.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    They probably got rid of that because requiring lasik discriminates on low income people.
    Preface: I have no idea why they changed the rules, just giving my $0.02. Maybe they finally came around to realizing that having 20/20 vision is not absolutely necessary at all times to perform the job? Especially when you can get special glasses made for your SCBA mask? If not that, maybe they have a concrete reason for deciding it was no longer essential, that has nothing to do with helping/hurting minorities? Because not everything related to the hiring process is some conspiracy to help/hurt different statistical groups of people.
    Desire4theJob likes this.

Forum Member

Does anybody have any insight for me regarding my current predicament...

Last week I took a nasty spill at home, caught the edge of the bath tub as I went down, and fractured my skull. I passed the medical twice already-once in 08 and again in 2010-but at that time I had never broken any bones.

my list number is 37xx so I'm not expecting to hear anything for a couple of years, but when I do, I'm ***** scared that this might mean an automatic DQ for me. I had no intracranial bleeding, swelling, or similar complications, and the ED doctor said I can expect a full recovery. Obviously, however, the skull is the one bone that protects the more important organ, so I'm nervous as to how the physician's down at 9MT will see this.

If anybody's got any experience with this type of injury, or knows somebody with a similar story, I'd be very relieved to hear SOMETHING. lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by J0hnnyb0y View Post
    Does anybody have any insight for me regarding my current predicament...

Last week I took a nasty spill at home, caught the edge of the bath tub as I went down, and fractured my skull. I passed the medical twice already-once in 08 and again in 2010-but at that time I had never broken any bones.

my list number is 37xx so I'm not expecting to hear anything for a couple of years, but when I do, I'm ***** scared that this might mean an automatic DQ for me. I had no intracranial bleeding, swelling, or similar complications, and the ED doctor said I can expect a full recovery. Obviously, however, the skull is the one bone that protects the more important organ, so I'm nervous as to how the physician's down at 9MT will see this.

If anybody's got any experience with this type of injury, or knows somebody with a similar story, I'd be very relieved to hear SOMETHING. lol
    Any obvious big scars or deformity obvious on your head if not then it never happened dont dig a hole for urself that doesnt need to be
    01-13

Forum Member

i see where you're coming from, but the medical questionnaire asks about any broken bones or head injuries, and lying will surely disqualify me. i just don't see how i can avoid facing the music with this. it is a broken bone just like anything else, and will heal, but the stigma that comes with brain injury is what's got me really worried. i know what you mean though-thanks.

Forum Member

If there was no brain injury, then it's just a question of "has your skull fully healed", and while you might have to get documentation from an MD saying as much, I can't see them giving you that much grief about it. Your skull is not a complex network of bones, ligaments, and cartilage that bends at weird angles, so I can't see it being in quite the same boat as a knee or hip problem.

Forum Member

Thanks again to both of you for putting my mind at ease, and ManhattanMedic-that does make sense.

Forum Member

does anyone remember the number of people from EMS that were already DQ due to the age i looked for it in previous pages but couldn't find it

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Checked my mail on the way to work tonight. CPAT notice came

First run is 12/1.

EDIT: just read through the last couple pages... congrats dude!
    Last edited by WTRBG; 11-16-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 105
    List: 2xx

Forum Member

Second circuit court is taking forever to rule on this case. Wonder if that bodes good or ill for us?
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by steven9d3 View Post
    does anyone remember the number of people from EMS that were already DQ due to the age i looked for it in previous pages but couldn't find it
    If a concrete # has ever been produced I've never seen it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's 50-100, but that's just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Second circuit court is taking forever to rule on this case. Wonder if that bodes good or ill for us?
    Probably just them being slow/busy with a lot of work?

Forum Member

The Chief Newspaper just posted this on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/TheChiefLeader

Thread Information