Like Tree10593Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Wow so I did even worse than I thought. I set it at 50. 59 sounds hard. After doing the step mill, My CNS was shot and the rest of my work out sucked.
    I am even more surprised that so many people pass that part of the test. More of testament to how much often I need to train for it.
    so much of it has to do with nerves and breathing. if you go in there nervous you will psyche yourself out. go in there thinking that its a breeze, and inhale slowly over 4 steps and exhale slowly over 4 steps, and keep your breathing rate steady at that exact rate the entire time and you'll pass. avoid caffeine the day off the test and of course train hard until then and you'll be fine.
    Dannyvale likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Wow so I did even worse than I thought. I set it at 50. 59 sounds hard. After doing the step mill, My CNS was shot and the rest of my work out sucked.
    I am even more surprised that so many people pass that part of the test. More of testament to how much often I need to train for it.
    Train if you was to get called Tomorow !!! How's your 1.5 run ? And what's the furthest you can run ?

Forum Member

How is everyone's 1.5? I want to know how I stack I'm up against you guys. Had a personal best today at 11:31. Pretty happy but I felt like I was going to die afterwards lol.
    Dannyvale likes this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Hey guys, thanks for all the information posted so far, it's been great. I know it's hard to say but when do you guys think a list number just over 700 will be called? I was also wondering if you can defer a class, does anyone know if this is possible?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyvale View Post
    Train if you was to get called Tomorow !!! How's your 1.5 run ? And what's the furthest you can run ?
    I have years before I will get called but my 1.5 run is probably bad. I haven't started running yet. I have been strictly lifting weights, Deadlifts, squats, bench, changed my priorities and started training for conditioning yesterday. Shorter rest periods etc. My friend is in the 2000's so I will start running with him.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jrugger View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for all the information posted so far, it's been great. I know it's hard to say but when do you guys think a list number just over 700 will be called? I was also wondering if you can defer a class, does anyone know if this is possible?
    it would be a really stupid move. I have heard of people who deferred off 6019 for really stupid reasons like the temperature of the season and thus never got on.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    How is everyone's 1.5? I want to know how I stack I'm up against you guys. Had a personal best today at 11:31. Pretty happy but I felt like I was going to die afterwards lol.
    you ahead of me ....the fastest I've done it its 12:28 .... to slow !!!!

Forum Member

you ahead of me ....the fastest I've done it its 12:28 .... to slow !!!!
    Keep going dude. I was doing 13 min only a few months back
    Dannyvale likes this.

Forum Member

Unless you have a physical ailment that needs repair, DO NOT DEFER

Forum Member

13 mins is the slowest it can be done if you run between 12-13 u will have to stay for pt remedial every day unpaid....you have to try to get under 12 but aim to get as fast as possible because im pretty sure they run at much faster pace in the academy and you dont want to be that guy!!
    01-13

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BKLYNBOY View Post
    13 mins is the slowest it can be done if you run between 12-13 u will have to stay for pt remedial every day unpaid....you have to try to get under 12 but aim to get as fast as possible because im pretty sure they run at much faster pace in the academy and you dont want to be that guy!!
    How many miles a day you'll be running in the academy ?

Forum Member

Honestly, if you make it to the run and can't keep up with everyone and ahead of the pacer, you're not thirsty. Your adrenaline should make this not an issue.

IMO
    BKLYNBOY likes this.

Forum Member

How many miles a day you'll be running in the academy ?
    I'm not sure exactly but dont expect any thing less then 3 miles I heard they get up to 8 miles towards the end.
    01-13

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eng1irons View Post
    Giveback are forever. Once we lose a benefit, it's gone and not coming back.

A tier 3 guy was killed in the line of duty last year. Nothings going to change.

COLA is the same for tier 2 and 3. It's set by the gov't, isn't it?
    Under tier 2 COLA would not kick in until 10 years after retirement, and the retiree has to be at least 55 years of age. Once COLA starts it is only based on the first 18,000 a pensioner makes, and the rate of increase is half of the consumer price index for that year (max of 3%, meaning half of 3%).

Under tier 3, if one stays to 25 years, they immediately start getting COLA as soon as they retire, it is calculated based on their entire pensionable amount, and the rate of increase is the consumer price index (3% max, meaning it could actually rise up to 3% a year).

What does any of the above mean? I'm not entirely sure. But if I understand it right the math adds up quick for tier 3, but.. not so much for 2.

First or second class. Get going now if you want to be prepared. You can defer, but they usually want a decent reason.

Forum Member

I'm not sure exactly but dont expect any thing less then 3 miles I heard they get up to 8 miles towards the end.
    In CPAT training the lieutenant that runs health and fitness has said that he's not entirely sure what they will be doing this time around. He said that, yes, they have done long runs in the past, however they're thinking this time around will be shorter but faster. Regardless the point to get good at running on the road. I can comfortably do 1.5 miles in 11:30, and can almost do a 5k at that pace.
    knicksh2o likes this.

Forum Member

You make me look like an allstar bro. 1.5m in 8:52 is my best time

Forum Member

do all your running outside don't step foot on a treadmill!!!!!
    Dannyvale likes this.
    01-13

Forum Member

Candidates from 2500 might have already heard this when in for their investigations and medicals, but heard from two different highly reliable sources today that the first class is tentatively scheduled to begin on 14 January. Depending on actually getting enough candidates from 2500 processed in time.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

do all your running outside don't step foot on a treadmill!!!!!
    I'm not sure I agree with this. Treadmills are easier on your knees, shins, etc. than concrete and you get the same cardio workout. I certainly wouldn't suggest training ONLY on treadmills but I have used them forever as part of my training programs and I've (knock on wood) avoided any serious injuries so far.
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    You make me look like an allstar bro. 1.5m in 8:52 is my best time
    Damn kid that's over 10mph. That's awesome. I've been lifting my whole life and always neglected my running. Canceled my gym membership tho and been running a lot more. Went down from over 13 min 1.5m to my current 11:31... I'll get to you soon lol
    Dannyvale likes this.

Forum Member

Damn kid that's over 10mph. That's awesome. I've been lifting my whole life and always neglected my running. Canceled my gym membership tho and been running a lot more. Went down from over 13 min 1.5m to my current 11:31... I'll get to you soon lol
    I said this before here and I will say it again. I been running outdoors since I started training for 6019 a few years back and could never beat my platau of 10mins. Someone a little over 6 months ago told me to run places where there is alot of hills and elevated paths. I took his advice and look at where I'm at now. So there's the secret bro, run hills and like Blkynboy said...... NEVER go on the treadmill.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    So there's the secret bro, run hills and like Blkynboy said...... NEVER go on the treadmill.
    You can increase the elevation as much or little as you want on treadmills. My marathon times have dropped steadily for a decade and I sometimes run on treadmills. And I've never had shinsplints, knee trouble, or other impact related injuries. Just my two cents. Take it or leave it.
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    You can increase the elevation as much or little as you want on treadmills. My marathon times have dropped steadily for a decade and I sometimes run on treadmills. And I've never had shinsplints, knee trouble, or other impact related injuries. Just my two cents. Take it or leave it.
    I can run on a treadmill for an eternity with a steep incline even and not get tired lol. But hey I guess it may work for some and not for others. I'm just trying to simulate what you will be doing In the academy and they run outdoors 95 percent of the time.

Forum Member

What list number will be called?
    Last edited by Jrugger; 11-27-2012 at 02:29 AM.

Forum Member

do they do the mile and half test on a track or from point a to b?

Thread Information