Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 221 of 1156 FirstFirst ... 121171211218219220221222223224231271321721 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,420 of 23118
Like Tree9072Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

7andchange, on what grounds did they hire you on a stip for? If you don't mind me asking. I'm currently going through my investigation for promo and I listed a couple arrests from when I was a teenager and one when I was 18 over 11 years ago. (EMS knows about these already) I didn't want to et DQ'd for not disclosing. It says you must disclose even the youthful offender stuff so I didn't hold back. Not trying to get DQ'd I grew up and have not even gotten as much as a speeding ticket since by they way. Thumbs up I guess.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MDEL210201 View Post
    Hey all,
    Does anyone have the path that is used for the mile and a half run? I know it was posted many moons ago but I cannot seem to find it. Thnx folks!!
    Couldn't find it exactly but from what I remember from old posts I made an outline of the path.

http://www.runningmap.com/?id=464681

At around the blue pedestrian bridge there is a semi faded white spray painted marker indicating "1 mile"

I run on Randall's island at least twice a week, its beautiful and obviously great for motivation. If you are close enough to the 102nd st pedestrian bridge or in Astoria you cant go wrong adding this stretch to your runs.
    HopefulFF and JerkAlert like this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Hey man, thanks for the info..I was trying to think to myself, on the 6019 that the FD was like 600 or so under headcount, it would only make sense to try to keep the numbers close since its cheaper to not have to pay overtime to everyone, and if it took 886 for a class of 300? that means that if this list is active for 4 years and they do 300 a year that is about 3000 on the list give or take right? and hopefully, once Bloomburg gets voted out of office the new mayor will have a better grasp that you can't sacrifice public safety.

On a different note..does anyone know about how the veterans/disabled points work? the announcement doesn't say anything about having to live in the NYC area, just that you have to meet the criteria set by the state of new york..right? or did I totally read that wrong, because if I remember correctly, I clicked on the link from the 6019 exam and the scores posted some with vet status did not have residency...
    when i got on my friend and i both used the vet points..... for some reason he couldn't use them because he was from out of state and i could because i was from state

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Couldn't find it exactly but from what I remember from old posts I made an outline of the path.

At around the blue pedestrian bridge there is a semi faded white spray painted marker indicating "1 mile"

I run on Randall's island at least twice a week, its beautiful and obviously great for motivation. If you are close enough to the 102nd st pedestrian bridge or in Astoria you cant go wrong adding this stretch to your runs.
    so it's a straight 1.5M run? Not a loop?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thnx bro, yea I am in Astoria and since my runs suck i thought what better way then to run where it will be!! Lol

Forum Member

If you're in Astoria just map out a 1.5 mile run along 1 of the quiet stretches like Shore Blvd/Vernon. When I practice pacing myself for that I run on 20th Ave from 35 St to the river and back, it's just over 1.5 miles.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MDEL210201 View Post
    Thnx bro, yea I am in Astoria and since my runs suck i thought what better way then to run where it will be!! Lol
    Hell yeah man. Just going over the tri-boro (sorry RFK) and back will force your runs to get better. That bridge used to be brutal for me with all the stairs and inclines. The on ramp for the walkway is at 27th street on the Queens side btw.
    ffbam24 likes this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    If you're in Astoria just map out a 1.5 mile run along 1 of the quiet stretches like Shore Blvd/Vernon. When I practice pacing myself for that I run on 20th Ave from 35 St to the river and back, it's just over 1.5 miles.
    Looks like we have a bunch of Astoria people up for the job. Who else is looking forward to being able to bike to the Rock in 10 minutes everyday?
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Looks like we have a bunch of Astoria people up for the job. Who else is looking forward to being able to bike to the Rock in 10 minutes everyday?
    **** that I'm hoping to get a ride. The bike ride ain't that short and it's going to be brutal to do after 10 hour days.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Years count towards the back end but atleast it counts! I say take it bro. With your list number you will probably be in the third class anyways so you will get a "year" in atleast. Only one thing that sucks about it..... 2 academys in one year!!! Lol.
    No.....the years from NYPD to FDNY count on the Front End. Meaning if you have 2 years with NYPD and transfer to the FDNY then you would have to do 18 years to retire (under the 20 year pesnion that is)

If the years counted on the back end it would mean if you had 2 years on NYPD and then transfered to FDNY that you would still have to do the 20 years on FDNY for the full pension BUT you would retire with a 22year pension due to the time carried over from NYPD.

Either way you still have to go back to bottom pay now when entering the FDNY. You can no longer carry your salary and seniority over from NYPD as of April 2006.

Forum Member

Except anyone hired by NYPD/FDNY now will not be tier 2. I am not sure if those years will count on the front/back for tier 3, but regardless, anyone hired to either right now are looking at 22.5+ years.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    so it's a straight 1.5M run? Not a loop?
    It's a straight run. You run basially .75 of a mile, do a quick little turn around, and run back to where you started. There was a tiny bit of an incline right around halfway if I remember correctly.

PS Unless I lived on Randall's Island, I wouldn't think for a second of biking that ****. I can't imagine the cramps riding a bike home after that crap.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nev7248 View Post
    when i got on my friend and i both used the vet points..... for some reason he couldn't use them because he was from out of state and i could because i was from state
    I called DCAS when I registered...The lady said that as long as I was a resident by time of appt and met the criteria..I read it in the NOE and called to confirm.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    It's a straight run. You run basially .75 of a mile, do a quick little turn around, and run back to where you started. There was a tiny bit of an incline right around halfway if I remember correctly.

PS Unless I lived on Randall's Island, I wouldn't think for a second of biking that ****. I can't imagine the cramps riding a bike home after that crap.

must be tough not to try and all out sprint that last .75 lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    must be tough not to try and all out sprint that last .75 lol
    Haha it is certainly tempting, but I pictured myself sprinting, tripping, and breaking my wrist or some doofy **** like that.

The other good part is they have a DI running behind you to keep pace so you're not uncertain of your time at any point.

Forum Member

Haha it is certainly tempting, but I pictured myself sprinting, tripping, and breaking my wrist or some doofy **** like that.

The other good part is they have a DI running behind you to keep pace so you're not uncertain of your time at any point.

I'm already worried about pulling my hamstring during the run. I know it's silly, and there's like 20 steps before that run, but with all this wait time I can't help it lol

Forum Member

I've always wondered what they did for that. I've practiced doing 1.5 mile runs regularly, in part to calm my anxieties about whether or not I can do it in <12 minutes (I can). Having established that, I've found it helpful to go out and practice it just to get pacing down. Like.. what does a 7.5min/mile feel like? I don't want to sprint the thing, get winded, and end up screwing myself. Last time I did a practice run I did it at a relatively comfortable pace in 11.5 minutes, which is by no means an impressive time, but perfectly fine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I've always wondered what they did for that. I've practiced doing 1.5 mile runs regularly, in part to calm my anxieties about whether or not I can do it in <12 minutes (I can). Having established that, I've found it helpful to go out and practice it just to get pacing down. Like.. what does a 7.5min/mile feel like? I don't want to sprint the thing, get winded, and end up screwing myself. Last time I did a practice run I did it at a relatively comfortable pace in 11.5 minutes, which is by no means an impressive time, but perfectly fine.
    You'll be absolutely shocked how slow the pace is when you do it. I started out at a really slow jog, looked back and was already like 50 feet in front of the DI within 2-3 minutes.

Forum Member

You'll be absolutely shocked how slow the pace is when you do it. I started out at a really slow jog, looked back and was already like 50 feet in front of the DI within 2-3 minutes.
    When I started trying to run regularly around a year and a half ago I regularly tried to run at a sub 8min/mile pace to see how far I could go. I couldn't even do a mile. It's an easy pace if you're in any sort of shape, but it's no walk in the park for anybody that hasn't been running.

Forum Member

How many guys run at once? I assume they don't have all 300 going at a time. Also, is there more than one guy pacing you besides the one going at 8min/mile?

Thread Information