Like Tree11287Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bacon View Post
    do they do the mile and half test on a track or from point a to b?
    It's point A to B than back to A. So .75 miles each way.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Since we're on the topic. Do any of you guys subscribe to the "minimalist" running sneaker philosophy? Not necessarily vibram 5 fingers per se. But just a regular, closed sneaker with no cushion. Someone has been trying to get me to buy the Merrill version for months now. I'm running low on cash and I need to make a smart purchase. Have any of you guys gone this route?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Since we're on the topic. Do any of you guys subscribe to the "minimalist" running sneaker philosophy? Not necessarily vibram 5 fingers per se. But just a regular, closed sneaker with no cushion. Someone has been trying to get me to buy the Merrill version for months now. I'm running low on cash and I need to make a smart purchase. Have any of you guys gone this route?
    I would go to a specialty shop and go with their advice. Jack Rabbit in Manhattan has been my shop of choice for years. Everyone who works there is a competitive triathlete and they'll put you on a treadmill and videotape your gait and mechanics and recommend something appropriate. Personally, I err on the side of some cushioning but no correction (no 5-fingers but also no clunky stability shoes). At least some cushioning makes sense if you are running in NYC.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Thanks. And yeah I know about jack rabbit and stores like it. That's how I got my current asics. I've just noticed that the trend has been going more towards less cushion. And I kinda feel like the employees at these stores have their own preference, which they'll recommend.

Which shoe with that minimal cushion do you use if you don't mind me asking?
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 11-20-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Thanks. And yeah I know about jack rabbit and stores like it. That's how I got my current asics. I've just noticed that the trend has been going more towards less cushion. And I kinda feel like the employees at these stores have their own preference, which they'll recommend.

Which shoe with that minimal cushion do you use if you don't mind me asking?
    I'm running with Mizuno's right now, neutral shoe with some but not too much cushioning. I've also run with Brooks and Asics and like them a lot. Mechanics aside, even if you want a neutral shoe without a ton of cushioning or correction, I'd just try the different manufacturers versions of that kind of shoe to see what you are most comfortable in. Through trial and error I've found that Mizuno makes the shoe that fits my foot best but you might very well be different.
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Good stuff, thanks broseph...
    BigGriffC12 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    I'm running with Mizuno's right now, neutral shoe with some but not too much cushioning. I've also run with Brooks and Asics and like them a lot. Mechanics aside, even if you want a neutral shoe without a ton of cushioning or correction, I'd just try the different manufacturers versions of that kind of shoe to see what you are most comfortable in. Through trial and error I've found that Mizuno makes the shoe that fits my foot best but you might very well be different.
    Jack rabbit having a clearance sale Friday from 9 am to 6 pm ... I'm also running with mizuno went to the Brooklyn store last week and settle for those since they the best one for my feet great stability and comfort

Forum Member

Hey guys, I'm still around. I've been following this thread this whole time but I forgot my password and kept getting locked out so I end of resetting mine.

I haven't worked out in months, reason being I got injured and just recently got surgery to repair it. By the time they call me up next year I still might not be ready and I will have to defer.

I wasn't sure you could, but MM (who has been nothing but a fountain of information) just confirmed it last page.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    Score 101
    List #17XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with this. Treadmills are easier on your knees, shins, etc. than concrete and you get the same cardio workout. I certainly wouldn't suggest training ONLY on treadmills but I have used them forever as part of my training programs and I've (knock on wood) avoided any serious injuries so far.
    supposedly they don't use the the hamstrings the same.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

In my experience treadmill hurt less and I can run everyday ... Outdoors hurts more but I feel great and build more endurance faster
    Last edited by Dannyvale ; 11-21-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Forum Member

My best 1.5 mile time was 9:31 but I was running with the wind lol. But I immediately turned around and ran into the wind and my time was 11:54. So not bad after just running 1.5 miles and doing the next 1.5 into the wind. And another time running with no wind at all I was at 11:13. I would like to stay under 11 minutes though.

It's funny how training has changed my feelings towards running. I used to run between 2-5 days a week at 3 miles per session, and here and there less. But I used to love running, it was therapeutic for me. Now that I'm training for the FDNY I'm running more than that, longer distances, and trying to maintain a certain speed. Running is now a chore to do.

And the treadmill vs outside running I go with outside running. I hate running on the treadmill. I know they say it's easier but after a mile I wanna get off I'm so bored.
    mocon337 and BKLYNBOY like this.
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Hows it going guys i finally signed up and joined this site....but i have been following this thread for a very long time just reading posts, since before i even took the exam. I jus want to say thanks for all of the helpful info you guys post and wish everyone here the best of luck on joining and passing the cpat exam. Just a little about me: I just turned 23 i scored 100 on the written exam and my list number is in the 22XX range...Again thanks for everything guys and i look forward to reading more helpful info. Best of luck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    My best 1.5 mile time was 9:31 but I was running with the wind lol. But I immediately turned around and ran into the wind and my time was 11:54. So not bad after just running 1.5 miles and doing the next 1.5 into the wind. And another time running with no wind at all I was at 11:13. I would like to stay under 11 minutes though.

It's funny how training has changed my feelings towards running. I used to run between 2-5 days a week at 3 miles per session, and here and there less. But I used to love running, it was therapeutic for me. Now that I'm training for the FDNY I'm running more than that, longer distances, and trying to maintain a certain speed. Running is now a chore to do.

And the treadmill vs outside running I go with outside running. I hate running on the treadmill. I know they say it's easier but after a mile I wanna get off I'm so bored.
    so true the treadmill is the most boring piece of equipment in the gym I usually just use it to warm up if the eliptical is taken, I also hit about a mile and get bored, my very first run ever outside I was able to go 4.5 miles at a 10 minute mile pace, I could never do that on a treadmill lol
    01-13

Forum Member

I bet we all are looking forward to a holiday where we can actually give our family members tangible info on our progress here instead of those vague answers we've had to give the last few years. Have a good one tomorrow boys.
    Last edited by HopefulFF; 11-21-2012 at 07:39 PM.
    GIMMEFIRE600 and coldblood92 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I bet we all are looking forward to a holiday where we can actually give our family members tangible info on our progress here instead of those vague answers we've had to give the last few years. Have a good one tomorrow boys.
    I usually get wrong info from them that they heard from some one on the job and its irritating because I have a family member who wants to get on, so it looks like I'm full of ****. I learned to just avoid answering questions. He can figure it out on his own if he wants the job so bad.
    BigGriffC12 likes this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Happy Thanksgiving everyone...

Enjoy this day off, as probies we might be working come next Thanksgiving.. hopefully

Forum Member

Don't know how good of a deal this actually is, or the reputation of the place but thought I'd pass it along anyway:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/diamond...mond-vision-13
    Score: 99
    List #: 4XXX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingHenrik View Post
    Don't know how good of a deal this actually is, or the reputation of the place but thought I'd pass it along anyway:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/diamond...mond-vision-13
    Dude you must have missed the memo.. Perfect vision is no longer a requirement. You can wear glasses or contacts when taking the vision test.

MembersZone Subscriber

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Dude you must have missed the memo.. Perfect vision is no longer a requirement. You can wear glasses or contacts when taking the vision test.
    Thats great. Just saw what you were talking about a few pages back. Thanks.
    Last edited by KingHenrik; 11-23-2012 at 01:58 AM.
    Score: 99
    List #: 4XXX

Forum Member

Brooklyn born your inbox is full

Forum Member

It feels so good to be done. I had my CPAT on wednesday. Its a lot faster than at The Rock sessions. The instructors at academy in practice are great for over training us. The course at CPAT is smooth and fast. Plus I did most practice runs at The Rock in the rain. I finished my CPAT wednesday in 7:20 (3 mins to spare) and while at practice session the fastest I went was 7:35. Even if you guys are in tip top shape you should still go to the practice sessions when its your time. They help and its awesome just to be at the academy. There is a lot of standing around once the trial runs begin but its still great to be there and I think most of you would agree with me on that! All thats left now is waiting for the call. I guess when they call for the mile and half for Jan 5th that means that i'm in. Not sure. Cant wait for that run! Yewww.
    Oh and thanks to anyone who has donated to the NY Beach Relief. If you ordered a T shirt from us you'll have it soon. We shipped out a whole lot the other day. Thanks!

Forum Member

Gongrats Man.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Great job JerkAlert! It's so nice to see you EMS guys who put in your time getting through the steps. Best of luck to you in the academy cause I know you're gunna kill the run!
    JerkAlert likes this.

Forum Member

Congrats buddy, best of luck to you in the academy. Hope you have a bit of down time to keep us updated!
    Test 2000
    List #: 57XX

Thread Information