Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 222 of 1023 FirstFirst ... 122172212219220221222223224225232272322722 ... LastLast
Results 4,421 to 4,440 of 20451
Like Tree7763Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Anyone who is barely making the 1.5mile under 12min should step up their running game ASAP. I don't know about you guys but I personally don't want to be stuck at the bottom of the list in anything when it comes to the academy, as of right now im doing 6min miles for the first 4-5 miles and I'm still trying hard to do it even faster. Don't be the one in the back getting screamed at by DIs for being a slow F$ck!

Forum Member

I've been reading these posts for week or so now and was just wondering why this department is so sought after rather than any other department? Granted I would love to be on the job there or Boston FD but just because of the tradition that they have. Just wondering what what your guys reasoning?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Anyone who is barely making the 1.5mile under 12min should step up their running game ASAP. I don't know about you guys but I personally don't want to be stuck at the bottom of the list in anything when it comes to the academy, as of right now im doing 6min miles for the first 4-5 miles and I'm still trying hard to do it even faster. Don't be the one in the back getting screamed at by DIs for being a slow F$ck!
    I gotta step up the cardio, but I gotta drop some weight which will help. I have been lifting heavy for yrs now since the last time I worked out towards the academy. Last weigh in was 283. but i'm not fat but it's to much weight to carry for that kind of running.
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    How many guys run at once? I assume they don't have all 300 going at a time. Also, is there more than one guy pacing you besides the one going at 8min/mile?
    Our class was small so they split us into 2 groups. I guess they'll split you into 4-6 groups with a class that big. Take that as opinion only.

They have a DI at the halfway mark just waiting there (assume to headcount so nobody cheats), and a guy who actually runs the thing with you keeping the mile and half pace. Whatever you do, DO NOT try and rock earplugs and an ipod for that run. Some jackass tried that and got scorched by one of the instructors.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcfd31 View Post
    I gotta step up the cardio, but I gotta drop some weight which will help. I have been lifting heavy for yrs now since the last time I worked out towards the academy. Last weigh in was 283. but i'm not fat but it's to much weight to carry for that kind of running.
    Just keep in mind the height to weight chart bro, you have an amazing list number don't get held up because your "overweight" in their standards.

Forum Member

you're 283lbs now and were doing 75lbs @ 75 steps per minute?! How in the world....

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Our class was small so they split us into 2 groups. I guess they'll split you into 4-6 groups with a class that big. Take that as opinion only.

They have a DI at the halfway mark just waiting there (assume to headcount so nobody cheats), and a guy who actually runs the thing with you keeping the mile and half pace. Whatever you do, DO NOT try and rock earplugs and an ipod for that run. Some jackass tried that and got scorched by one of the instructors.

lol, that must have been a sight to see.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wantachangeinpay View Post
    I've been reading these posts for week or so now and was just wondering why this department is so sought after rather than any other department? Granted I would love to be on the job there or Boston FD but just because of the tradition that they have. Just wondering what what your guys reasoning?
    It probably varies from person to person. For me I always loved NYC from a young age, and wanted to move here for years before I did, and well before I got interested in firefighting. When I got interested in firefighting it just got coupled with the desire to come here.

While this doesn't explain why some are willing to move cross country to take the job, there is also a logistical component to it. FDNY is the largest FD in the country, in the heart of the densest urban area in the country. If you could measure what % of the population in the metro area is interested in the job, it would probably be the same as many other places, but this metro area has 20-30m people, so the # that are interested is a whole lot higher.

Forum Member

Just keep in mind the height to weight chart bro, you have an amazing list number don't get held up because your "overweight" in their standards.
    I think I was around mid 250's when I did my medical's and they didnt say anything about it. So I want to get to that but would rather be in the 240's. I know at that weight I can around a 7 min mile
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

No I haven't done the stairmaster with that much weight since I was in my 250's. I think I need to drop some weight before I start that again
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

I think I was around mid 250's when I did my medical's and they didnt say anything about it. So I want to get to that but would rather be in the 240's. I know at that weight I can around a 7 min mile
    How tall are you?

Forum Member

No I haven't done the stairmaster with that much weight since I was in my 250's. I think I need to drop some weight before I start that again

Ya, it's a lot of weight on your joints....how tall are you?

Forum Member

6'2, yes it def is. But thats why I will drop some weight before picking up the cardio. Doing no weight on stairmaster and doing eliptical is fine with my current weight, but when u add the weight and then the running I def have to drop some
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

6'2, yes it def is. But thats why I will drop some weight before picking up the cardio. Doing no weight on stairmaster and doing eliptical is fine with my current weight, but when u add the weight and then the running I def have to drop some
    Well, that sort of helps make sense of it. Still, it's a bit of a relief to know you made it through your medical at 6'2"/250. I am a bit anxious about being 6'/195.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Well, that sort of helps make sense of it. Still, it's a bit of a relief to know you made it through your medical at 6'2"/250. I am a bit anxious about being 6'/195.

I believe someone else here said before they were 5'11 and were told they had to be under 216 to be OK. You should be fine at 6/195.

I guess they don't weight you unless you look heavy? Since everyone carries weight differently?
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Well, that sort of helps make sense of it. Still, it's a bit of a relief to know
    you made it through your medical at 6'2"/250. I am a bit anxious about being 6'/195.
    I dont see that being a prob at all. I know in the Army I had to be taped on every PT test. My max was 74" 211. I dont think it will ever be possible to get to that weight lol
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

You people make me feel skinny. 6'2 165lbs.......
    rcfd31 likes this.

Forum Member

I believe someone else here said before they were 5'11 and were told they had to be under 216 to be OK. You should be fine at 6/195.

I guess they don't weight you unless you look heavy? Since everyone carries weight differently?
    haha unfortunately that was me.

Forum Member

What chart they go by. What are their standards?

Forum Member

Everyone gets weighed, however your medical clearance is ultimately made by one of the MDs at BHS, so they can and do look at the whole picture when making that decision.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    haha unfortunately that was me.
    Go onnnnnnnnnnn. Refresh us with the details of the story.

Thread Information