Like Tree9843Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Yeah that video was ridiculous man - Yeah it would be greatly appreciated if you could keep us updated on what you're hearing and seeing. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Question, does anyone know how the job views rotator cuff surgery? Like if you have the surgery done or not done?
    Exam #2000
    #10XX

MembersZone Subscriber

Disregard, answered my own question.
    Exam #2000
    #10XX

Forum Member

Another solid Merit Matters article.

http://meritmattersusa.blogspot.com/...racism-in.html
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

No joke I just showed that video to some one staying with me from rockaway, an older woman who is like my aunt. It made her really start to cry in the first 2 min, so I took the Ipad away. Video looks very professional.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 11-27-2012 at 07:05 PM.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

I have a pretty good feeling that the city is going to get a class of three hundred come Jan. 2014. Why? Well, they haven't hired in over 4 years and they're dead set on breaking that streak. They'll get the numbers they want if it kills them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    I have a pretty good feeling that the city is going to get a class of three hundred come Jan. 2014. Why? Well, they haven't hired in over 4 years and they're dead set on breaking that streak. They'll get the numbers they want if it kills them.
    I hope so. I am burning my time in prep. It'd be pretty ****ty to end up having the class postponed and then also have no time left. If all goes according to plan I only got 22 tours left!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    You mean jan 2013

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I bought this one, and from what I can tell it's the same one that the department actually uses when doing its testing. It's cheap and reliable. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i00
    I this really the heart rate monitor the fire department uses during the stair climbing test?

Can anyone else confirm this?

Forum Member

No, well same thing almost. They use a Polar. Real basic model. Like an RS100, most basic model. They spray the sensor with some water and strap it to your chest (around or about) and off you go. The watch stays on the side of the step mill and they check it periodically.

Forum Member

Hey guys/gals

Take a few minutes to read this. Found it helpful somewhat.

http://www.fireflag.org/?zone=/union...andidate20FAQs
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Hey guys/gals

Take a few minutes to read this. Found it helpful somewhat.

http://www.fireflag.org/?zone=/union...andidate20FAQs
    I found this very helpful. Thanks much!! I still havent found anyone with a list number closer to mine which is X<150. Anyone interested please PM me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post
    I found this very helpful. Thanks much!! I still havent found anyone with a list number closer to mine which is X<150. Anyone interested please PM me.
    I tried to PM you, but it didn't work.

Anyone on here live in Brooklyn? I live down in the Sunset Park/Bay Ridge area and want to get a group together to PT. Let me know.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    And congrats on passing the cpat !!! The feeling most be priceless !!!
    The feeling of passing that watered down test should be at most a slight sense of relief of making it past the easiest hurdle of this process. Certainly not "priceless"

For those of you worried about your heartrate: SPRINTS
    Incorporate speed/sprint work into your running.
    Distance running will only improve endurance via aerobic exercise. Sprints will increase anaerobic metabolism and output, therefore helping lower the HR.

This comes from personal experience. I personally had to come back 30 days later.
    sffdnyhopeful09 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    The feeling of passing that watered down test should be at most a slight sense of relief of making it past the easiest hurdle of this process. Certainly not "priceless"

For those of you worried about your heartrate: SPRINTS
    Incorporate speed/sprint work into your running.
    Distance running will only improve endurance via aerobic exercise. Sprints will increase anaerobic metabolism and output, therefore helping lower the HR.

This comes from personal experience. I personally had to come back 30 days later.
    Thanks for the advice. What do you mean by 30 days later? How Long are the sprints? what about doing sets with the weighted vest?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Thanks for the advice. What do you mean by 30 days later? How Long are the sprints? what about doing sets with the weighted vest?
    He means he failed the heart rate test the first time around. I also agree about the CPAT. My first shot is Saturday and I can't say I'm all that worried about it.

To the guys OTJ, serious question: When does one **** at the academy? Like if I'm in the middle of PT and I gotta drop a big one. How much yelling might I get? Is ****ting my pants a better option?

MembersZone Subscriber

If you fail most any part of the physical, you come back 30 days later to retake that portion. In most cases it's the HR on the stairs or weight issues.

I think I posted the sprints before somewhere back in one of these threads. When I was working on it, the guys at the stairs recommended 10 40yd sprints. I'd incorporate that into my non-distance days. You can try the same thing with stairs, bleachers, large hills, etc. You'll feel a difference at the end of 10.

But by no means should you be trying these with a weight vest. You're already putting your knees through a beating running with your own weight. Utilize it for the stairmachine or an elliptical. Not for anything impact related.
    FDNYPD likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    He means he failed the heart rate test the first time around. I also agree about the CPAT. My first shot is Saturday and I can't say I'm all that worried about it.

To the guys OTJ, serious question: When does one **** at the academy? Like if I'm in the middle of PT and I gotta drop a big one. How much yelling might I get? Is ****ting my pants a better option?
    LOL. You'll have plenty of opportunity. Unless you have IBS or something
    It'll be pounded into you to go with a partner. If you're not prior military, you'll learn to make dookie quick.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    LOL. You'll have plenty of opportunity. Unless you have IBS or something
    It'll be pounded into you to go with a partner. If you're not prior military, you'll learn to make dookie quick.
    For some reason I'm picturing Lt Pete reciting/screaming a long speech about the importance of a high fiber diet while also counting off how long it takes you to do your business hahahaha.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would follow that man anywhere.

Forum Member

maybe someone can help me out. i bought one of those expandable file folders to collect all the paperwork to give to my investigator, would they like originals? my notarized lease agreements and bank statements they can have for residency, however my dd-214 is a little more important. if we give them the original do we get it back at the end of the backround investigation? i was always told to make copies of my dd-214 and keep the original in a very safe place.

my list number is 2** so i know i have a few weeks but just was wondering how they felt about photocopied docs

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    maybe someone can help me out. i bought one of those expandable file folders to collect all the paperwork to give to my investigator, would they like originals? my notarized lease agreements and bank statements they can have for residency, however my dd-214 is a little more important. if we give them the original do we get it back at the end of the backround investigation? i was always told to make copies of my dd-214 and keep the original in a very safe place.

my list number is 2** so i know i have a few weeks but just was wondering how they felt about photocopied docs
    You bring originals which they inspect, make copies of, then return to you.

It's a little silly at times because my "original" bank statement to prove current residency was just printed from my bank's website, and I was totally fine with them just keeping it, but they insisted on returning the original. So the original was then taken home and shredded.

Forum Member

http://www.wikihow.com/Slow-Your-Heart-Rate-Down

For those concerned about their heart rate, like myself, these tips have been working for me. Some basic tips about interval training as well. I want to get it done the first time, like im sure many of you do. good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ice&Fire View Post
    http://www.wikihow.com/Slow-Your-Heart-Rate-Down

For those concerned about their heart rate, like myself, these tips have been working for me. Some basic tips about interval training as well. I want to get it done the first time, like im sure many of you do. good luck.
    Good tips. Especially the fish oil one. Never knew that.

I'm personally not too worried about the stairs/HR test. If I fail than ill come back in 30 days and do it for 8 min. No biggy. I think knowing in the back of your head that there is a second chance opportunity will actually help a lot people calm ther nerves and pass the test in the first place.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

True nutrition has fish oil for cheap.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Thread Information