Like Tree11254Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Pretty sure they keep the span short between the letter mailing and the actual medical so guys don't have time to try and flush the system for the drug test. Sounds logical....
    I wish it was faster tho.. One week is more than enough to flush a system. Damn I wish they used a hair test
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

In the Psychological Interview do they ask you similar questions to the Psychological questions from the written exam to test the accuracy and honesty of your answers ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    I wish it was faster tho.. One week is more than enough to flush a system. Damn I wish they used a hair test
    Damn you're a narc. Why do you care about which method they use? If someone has a real problem then they probably won't be able to stop and they will show up positive. If someone smokes pot once and a while and stops so that they can pass the test/get on that doesn't really bother me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Damn you're a narc. Why do you care about which method they use? If someone has a real problem then they probably won't be able to stop and they will show up positive. If someone smokes pot once and a while and stops so that they can pass the test/get on that doesn't really bother me.
    Although I would love to be a firefighter, you called me out on my real dream job.. DEA lol

No I just want to make sure I get into the May academy with a list number in the low 800s.. stricter drug enforcement means better chance. Once im on, I dont care what they smoke lol

Forum Member

I guess with a hair sample drug test (which can trace drugs up to a year or so) like they do in NYPD more people will be disqualified and this will be better for those in the upper list numbers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    No I just want to make sure I get into the May academy with a list number in the low 800s.. stricter drug enforcement means better chance. Once im on, I dont care what they smoke lol
    I care. I don't need someone gigged out on something on the fire floor with me.
    Then when the department gets wind of someone using or they're on a stip, you'll get the joys of going out of service as they conduct a "random drug test" on multiple occasions.
    My1Goal, vekdoggs75 and DJ_Reverse like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    I care. I don't need someone gigged out on something on the fire floor with me.
    Then when the department gets wind of someone using or they're on a stip, you'll get the joys of going out of service as they conduct a "random drug test" on multiple occasions.
    I was joking. Obviously I care too.

Forum Member

It's a shame that you feel that way.

Do you know the lengths at which most fire departments go to investigate whether or not somebody is a drug user or has ever even used drugs for that matter? Any drug use in the past five years is a DQ usually. Any hard drug use ever, automatic DQ. Then, on top of having to explain drug use in an application, you then have to take a polygraph to make sure you're telling the truth about being a non-drug user.

I don't understand how the best fire department in the world doesn't use the same technology as another agency (NYPD) in the same city who hires five times as many candidates.

Also most people that I know who do drugs or even smoke weed occasionally, either are people with serious drug issues, complete losers, or decent people with zero ambition. I wouldn't want to be crawling down a smoke filled hallway with any of them.
    My1Goal and sffdnyhopeful09 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    It's a shame that you feel that way.

Do you know the lengths at which most fire departments go to investigate whether or not somebody is a drug user or has ever even used drugs for that matter? Any drug use in the past five years is a DQ usually. Any hard drug use ever, automatic DQ. Then, on top of having to explain drug use in an application, you then have to take a polygraph to make sure you're telling the truth about being a non-drug user.

I don't understand how the best fire department in the world doesn't use the same technology as another agency (NYPD) in the same city who hires five times as many candidates.

Also most people that I know who do drugs or even smoke weed occasionally, either are people with serious drug issues, complete losers, or decent people with zero ambition. I wouldn't want to be crawling down a smoke filled hallway with any of them.
    I think in regards to most serious drugs (heroin, coke/crack, meth, etc) I agree with the sentiment, but I just can't get myself to feel the same way about pot. I know plenty of normal people with real jobs who would rather smoke on a Friday night instead of binge drink and I can't find fault with that.

What I love about the emergency services is the way that binge drinking is celebrated while any/all illegal drugs are made out to be demonic.

Forum Member

I think in regards to most serious drugs (heroin, coke/crack, meth, etc) I agree with the sentiment, but I just can't get myself to feel the same way about pot. I know plenty of normal people with real jobs who would rather smoke on a Friday night instead of binge drink and I can't find fault with that.

What I love about the emergency services is the way that binge drinking is celebrated while any/all illegal drugs are made out to be demonic.
    Does FDNY give you polygraph tests?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    Does FDNY give you polygraph tests?
    No. Also I find the fact that this forum requires all messages to be at least 10 characters a bit ridiculous. Were you the one who also asked about the psych interview? There is none, unless something gets flagged in your test.
    DannyD0pe likes this.

Forum Member

No. Also I find the fact that this forum requires all messages to be at least 10 characters a bit ridiculous. Were you the one who also asked about the psych interview? There is none, unless something gets flagged in your test.
    Yes. Thank you for the response. Good luck and I hope you get the job !

Forum Member

I'm curious, do you know by chance what could flag someone's test? Just curious and want to know more about the whole process if possible. Best of luck with the rest of the process man, happy for you.

Forum Member

Hey guys hope all is well. In terms of the background investigation, what will DQ you? I know a conviction might, but what about bad credit, poor job history, lack of experience? Does anyone know of someone being DQ'ed for something like this?

Forum Member

August 30 - Received Background Investigation packet, around this time the department also sent out invite for orientation/sign up for the CPAT prep class
    September 17ish - orientation sessions at The Rock for CPAT prep class
    September 25 - CPAT prep class starts
    October 4 - List #s leaked
    October 11 & 16 - CPAT Orientation dates at DCAS testing center
    October 17 - Background Investigation meeting
    Late October - Actually got my score/List # in the mail
    November 15 - Medical
    December 1 - CPAT practice #1
    December 10 - CPAT practice #2
    December 13 - CPAT final attempt

Things felt pretty rushed all the way through, so I imagine they'd like to get started sooner and have a bit more time to work with OC people. So hopefully for your sake and theirs, they'll get going with it in January/February as soon as this class goes in.

good stuff bro, thanks for the detailed info. So I guess for a June class meds should be starting in March/April unless they do speed things up now.
    NYgrad2012 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    good stuff bro, thanks for the detailed info. So I guess for a June class meds should be starting in March/April unless they do speed things up now.
    Considering that BklynBoy stated they already seem to be putting packages together, it is my opinion that anyone who is on the OC list under #1000 should be ready to receive that package as early as YESTERDAY.

Have your records squared away. If you are a recreational user of something you shouldn't be recreationally using, quit that $h!t NOW. And make sure you are getting yourself in the best possible shape you can without injuring yourself in the process from overtraining.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jrugger View Post
    Hey guys hope all is well. In terms of the background investigation, what will DQ you? I know a conviction might, but what about bad credit, poor job history, lack of experience? Does anyone know of someone being DQ'ed for something like this?
    It shouldn't, but I'd say the general rule of thumb with most things is just to disclose it if asked, because they are pretty forgiving about stuff in the past if you tell them about it, but if it's kinda a big deal and you don't mention it then you are lying to them. Lying is always worse.

HopefulFF: If they do it right the process should be a bit more drawn out.

Forum Member

Guys we all know weed is gonna be legal in the next 5 years so no point in arguing.
    Score: 99
    List #: 4XXX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jrugger View Post
    Experience has nothing to do with you getting this job except for maybe the 6 months full time work you need, but they are pretty forgiving like MM said, I was fired from a government job and was able to still make it to EMS and pass for FIRE
    01-13

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingHenrik View Post
    Guys we all know weed is gonna be legal in the next 5 years so no point in arguing.
    As of today it is legal in Washington State, where I am. I don't/won't use it because I wouldn't want to get DQ'd for it, but that would be interesting to see how that played out if you did and it was legal in your state.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingHenrik View Post
    Beer is legal too, doesn't mean you should be drinking it while on the job. Moving on.
    ffbam24, vekdoggs75 and 3000miles like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    Beer is legal too, doesn't mean you should be drinking it while on the job. Moving on.
    Never said I thought it was a good idea to smoke or drink on the job. Just saying that in a few years these drug tests probably won't apply to weed.
    Score: 99
    List #: 4XXX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3000miles View Post
    As of today it is legal in Washington State, where I am. I don't/won't use it because I wouldn't want to get DQ'd for it, but that would be interesting to see how that played out if you did and it was legal in your state.
    God knows the fdny doesn't need any more lawsuits but I think a canindate from a state where pot is legal has a legit shot of winning a legal battle if he tests positive for weed and gets disqualified for it.

Obv the fdny shouldn't worry about such matters since the few states that have legalized it are miles away but I wonder what other jobs would do in this situation. Like a government job or a corporate job. Interesting topic especially when more and more states will legalize it in the near future.

Forum Member

Congrats to all those who are already qualified and ready to hit the final run for the academy. I remember that feeling all to well and I can't wait to feel it again.

I was curious if any of you guys that recently took the CPAT prep course at the rock were given a sheet of paper that had a total body circuit breakdown. I know they gave it out when I last took the prep course but that was a few years ago and I can find mine. If anyone does have I'd really appreciate it if they could post that in any way. I know it's long so even just a pic of the paper would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Good luck to those that are knocking on that door as well as to the rest of us. God knows what curveballs will be thrown at us this time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by joro89 View Post
    I'm curious, do you know by chance what could flag someone's test? Just curious and want to know more about the whole process if possible. Best of luck with the rest of the process man, happy for you.
    I got flagged and had to meet with the psych doc just for the fact that I had moved around a couple times. Out of state for college then back, then went to DC for a couple years for work and then back. She just was curious the reasons and then let me go. Was with her for less than 10 minutes. As for the kid in front of me... well he was in there a good 45 minutes and when he came out he looked like he was going to cry. Not sure what the hell he answered on his test but she definitely grilled him. Made me nervous as **** until I went in there.
    joro89 likes this.
    Test 2000
    Score 101
    List # 16**

Thread Information