Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 229 of 1143 FirstFirst ... 129179219226227228229230231232239279329729 ... LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,580 of 22842
Like Tree8974Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    You're clueless.

On the topic of starting another academy while one is in already shows you're even more clueless. It's been done before multiple times. Especially with classes less than 300 which it sounds like the January EMT class might be.
    What?? You honestly think its cheaper to hire somebody new, train them, pay their salary, pension, fringe benefits etc then have guys already working work overtime? Each person they hire costs the city millions long term. It's much much cheaper to pay overtime then hire somebody. You don't have to trust me, just google it. (http://www.lvrj.com/news/county-offi...144311185.html, http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/...-firefighters/).

As far as the academy goes... you got me there. Like I said I have no idea how they are set up at the rock, but if they had the facilities and instructors available, why stagger the classes? Why not just have a bigger class to begin with.
    Last edited by eng1irons; 10-21-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eng1irons View Post
    What?? You honestly think its cheaper to hire somebody new, train them, pay their salary, pension, fringe benefits etc then have guys already working work overtime? Each person they hire costs the city millions long term. It's much much cheaper to pay overtime then hire somebody. You don't have to trust me, just google it. (http://www.lvrj.com/news/county-offi...144311185.html).

As far as the academy goes... you got me there. Like I said I have no idea how they are set up at the rock, but if they had the facilities and instructors available, why stagger the classes? Why not just have a bigger class to begin with.
    Overtime is cheaper to a point, but at some point new bodies are less expensive. Also the level of overtime they're at is unsustainable and unsafe.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by steven9d3 View Post
    one guy from the rock and multiple staff cheifs
    i wouldn't go by hear say unless its been in a department order or on there website..they have never double stacked the classes even after 9/11 when they were really hurting. they did a class and started one a few weeks after. they split the class up where one class comes in a few hours earlier.

Forum Member

There will be NO double classes... There's lack of room at the rock. 325 candidates will be the top amount. That place is not an nypd training building people! Lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eng1irons View Post
    What?? You honestly think its cheaper to hire somebody new, train them, pay their salary, pension, fringe benefits etc then have guys already working work overtime? Each person they hire costs the city millions long term. It's much much cheaper to pay overtime then hire somebody. You don't have to trust me, just google it. (http://www.lvrj.com/news/county-offi...144311185.html, http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/...-firefighters/).

Instead of giving me an article in Vegas why don't u google FDNY overtime and educate yourself. The starting salary in NYC is so much lower for starting FF's then a FF at top pay that your paying the guys at top pay, which almost all the guys on the job make, almost 200% more than a probie. Plus the fact that new probies pensions are in a new tier and cheaper. plus when the OT dries up guys will retire in droves.

Just look at what the job looked like before the hiring freeze. They were almost 400 guys over head count to keep OT costs non existent. That should tell you more than u need to know.

Forum Member

Instead of giving me an article in Vegas why don't u google FDNY overtime and educate yourself. The starting salary in NYC is so much lower for starting FF's then a FF at top pay that your paying the guys at top pay, which almost all the guys on the job make, almost 200% more than a probie. Plus the fact that new probies pensions are in a new tier and cheaper. plus when the OT dries up guys will retire in droves.

Just look at what the job looked like before the hiring freeze. They were almost 400 guys over head count to keep OT costs non existent. That should tell you more than u need to know.
    why are guys going to retire in droves?? they have there best three years ..it doesn't matter if the OT dries up

Forum Member

Its last not best.

Forum Member

Its last not best.
    its the average of your 3 best years

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by steven9d3 View Post
    its the average of your 3 best years
    average of best three i meant, its only your last year for guys that got on around 1999 0r 2000

Forum Member

Some of you guys on the last few pages have been killing me.

http://cdn-6.create.net/siteimages/6.../f_1371969.jpg

/grammar nazi

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BKLYNBOY View Post
    So rumor has it that the promo list might not have enough eligible canidates to fill the first class, workout ppl you might be getting called sooner then you think!
    assuming its physical Wouldnt they not get passed over yet?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Salary wise, yes it is cheaper to hire a probie than pay a top pay ff overtime. That's obvious. I don't think you're taking into account all the fringe benefits the city takes on (during their whole career, 22 years no less) when they hire somebody That's 22 years of pension, health insurance etc that they're paying into. Each person the city hires costs millions throughout their career. It's the exact reason PD didn't hire anybody during the budget crisis either. Our overtime spiked as well, but it's still cheaper.

When the OT does get cut though, people will start retiring. That's when it is cheaper to replace them with new people. That's what nassau pd did, during their budget crisis they couldn't hire (because again its cheaper to pay the OT), so they offered incentives for people to retire and replaced them with new guys.

It's not worth hijacking the thread or arguing over though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    assuming its physical Wouldnt they not get passed over yet?
    So far I have heard that 120 were dq'd because of age

Forum Member

i think we are going to see alot of people lose there extra points on the test its going to be tough for people to prove they live in the city and i know roughly around 15-20 people who took the test and 2 (1 within hiring range) of the "accidentally" clicked the residency box when they live in nassau

Forum Member

I was hoping you would say more than 2.

I was under the impression it was the last 3 years for the guys with retiring age.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 10-21-2012 at 06:35 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I was hoping you would say more than 2.

I was under the impression it was the last 3 years for the guys with retiring age.

im hoping there is a bunch of long island boys that were planning on using there friend/family's city address but wont be able to now

and i dont know for sure about all the different pension teirs but i know the one with guys that have 20 years or more is the average of their 3 best years

Forum Member

Do you guys know how flexible they are with the proof of residency for those under 21 @ time of application? All I have are W-2 forms and my H.S. Diploma, which is from a year before the requested period of 7/10-7/11.

Forum Member

What is the letter stating without being to detailed? Is it just for your test scores?

Forum Member

I'm pretty sure that they will ask for notarized papers from your parents stating that you were living there with them and maybe they will even ask THEM to send some papers to prove that THEY lived there as well lol. That's just my guess though

Forum Member

Candidates applying for New York City Residency Credit must provide any three of the following:
    • Mortgage in the candidate’s name valid during the 12-month period between July 1, 2010 and June 30, 2011
    • Cable bills for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Telephone bills for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Gas, electric or water utility bills for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Checking or savings account statements for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Credit card statements for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011 and
    • W-2 form(s) from the candidate’s employer for the 2010 and 2011 tax years.
    Candidates aged 21 or younger have the option of submitting three of the proofs listed above or, as an
    alternative, candidates who are 21 years of age or younger at the time of their application to take the exam may provide:
    (a) A diploma from a New York City Public High School; or
    (b) A transcript from a private high school in New York City showing a New York City address for the candidate; or
    (c) A GED certificate issued from a New York City institution during the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011 to a
    candidate who presents evidence that his last school enrollment was in a New York City Public High School;
    -ANDone
    additional proof of residency, from the list above.
    The Fire Department of New York reserves the right to accept other documents in lieu of the above, under special
    circumstances which validate various living arrangements as determined by the Department and approved by the
    Department of Citywide Administrative Services.

Thread Information