Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 1019 FirstFirst ... 13202122232425263373123523 ... LastLast
Like Tree7734Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/cityroom/384177;.w6

Whoops this the mobile version. I hope it works on your computers.

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...ate-follow-ups

funny, when I applied in 2006, i knew 0 people on the FDNY, and moved a couple times throughout the process, yet I managed to make it to all steps of the process without a hitch........

peculiar
    I should have cleaned up the chili.....why didn't I clean up the chili!!!!!!

Forum Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EHBlnPUW0c

Encouragement is what the court thinks what they want

Forum Member

so are these people who only filled out the original slip of interest and didn't file at all.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 12-22-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    so are these people who only filled out the original slip of interest and didn't file at all.
    I would like to know this as well. What do they mean their applications are pending?

Forum Member

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...ate-follow-ups

This is truly unbelievable. In any other fire department testing process in any other city in this country, the very first way to weed out candidates is to only accept those applicants who bothered to fill out the application correctly and fully. These are definitely the guys you want in the firehouse, the guys who needed to be pushed and dragged all the way to the rock.

By the way, I live out in California, I couldn’t even name one guy on the job right now, so who is going to come knock on my door to encourage me to keep at it? I am saving up my pennies to fly out there for the written. This stuff ****es me off to no end. It’s simply not right.
    Last edited by theheights202; 12-23-2011 at 12:44 AM.

Forum Member

The news sucks, its amazing how they never report all the facts. They totally left out that filing was closed and they are pretty much extending it for black applicants only. What the hell are they talking about with making the generalization that white applicants are getting encouraged more, if the filing is closed no one can be encouraged.

There is no way this judge is not gonna implement quotas or throw out the test. I hope the city can fully appeal in under a year.

Forum Member

does anyone know whether applications are still actually open for black applicants.

it sounds as though "follow up" may be something else, to still have applications open is a blatant violation of the law, and as I have been keeping track of the court case, I have not seen anywhere that this stipulation to keep the period open for black applicants only has been cleared.

Plus let's remember that MOH recipient Dakota Meyer did the right thing by refusing ANY special treatment.
    Think any of these guys will follow his example?

Forum Member

A little bit of advice for the guys about to take test. There is ging to be A LOT of double standard BS going on. You will get only one shot to do things, and do them correctly while others will get many. Sucks, believe me I know.

So... you can let it really bother you (and rightly so) and this will add undue stress & anger.
    Or you can worry about yourself. Only yourself. And the hell with what happens with any other guy or gal.

Advice given to me many years ago and boy did it pay off!

Good luck.

Forum Member

I keep telling myself **** like the Vulcans doing door to door stuff to encourage applicants to finish the application process is okay because if people couldn't be bothered to sign up chances are they will not score strongly on the written. I also hope DCAS doesn't use as many statistical tricks as last time to try and massage the numbers, but I know that's naive of me.

This was discussed a little a few weeks ago, but anyone know if they plan on having information sessions where you actually come in for a sit down and they go over some things or are they just doing a tutorial that you look over at your own leisure on your computer. I was just looking at their website and no mention of info sessions were there but I believe there were mentions of it on the last letter.

Forum Member

So only 5 days away from our first look at the online practice tutorial for the exam. Is there a chance in hell of it actually getting put up that day? Or even if it does will it actualy reflect what will be on the exam? I'm paranoid they'll throw us another curveball on the real exam like the subjective "strongly agree, agree, etc..." questions that ended up being worth 1/3 of the test and never brought up in any of the practice tests or tutorial sessions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    I'm paranoid they'll throw us another curveball on the real exam like the subjective "strongly agree, agree, etc..."
    Not that I know anything about anything, but you can bet your *** that they'll throw those questions on there. I'd go so far as to say that I guarantee it.

Forum Member

About which type of strongly agree/disagree questions are we talking? The scenario or personality-based? Anyone have examples? Both are pretty easy and police departments nationwide have been using them for a while. At first, they seem difficult. If they're the ones I am thinking about, answering anything but "strongly" carries a smaller point value as you seem shakey or unsure of what you might do in the given scenario. Too many of these unsure or neutral answers will really hurt your score.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    About which type of strongly agree/disagree questions are we talking? The scenario or personality-based? Anyone have examples? Both are pretty easy and police departments nationwide have been using them for a while. At first, they seem difficult. If they're the ones I am thinking about, answering anything but "strongly" carries a smaller point value as you seem shakey or unsure of what you might do in the given scenario. Too many of these unsure or neutral answers will really hurt your score.
    While I agree that too many "unsure" or "neutral" answers are a bad idea, I think it's inaccurate to suggest that you should always mainly pick the "strongly" answers. From what I've learned, there are many questions where the plain old "agree" or "disagree" answers are often weighted more. These questions are not as gimme as you may think IMO.

Forum Member

Those type of question, "strongly agree, agree, disagree, strongly disagree", are placed on test to look for consistency. As with what roadrunner09 just said, playing it safe by always answering in the middle is NOT the way to go about it. I recently just took the philly fire exam and attended every study session. This is the first time philly has used those type of question and the instructors told us to stay consistent. They're going to ask you the same question over and over again, but it completely different ways. So they have a list of the related questions and check to match up whether you answered the same for the given situation. I'm not an instructor or test god or anything, but after being told that, I noticed it on the test. Just relax, and stay consistent. Try your best to pick out the related question but DON'T overdue it. You'll end up roping yourself into insanity...

Forum Member

Does anyone know if the online test preparation is still supposed to begin tomorrow ?

Forum Member

I was reading online that there was a proposal by Councilmen Comrie that applicants who graduated from NYC High Schools will receive bonus points on the exam. I was wondering if anyone knew the outcome of this proposal and if it will be implemented for the upcoming exam? Also, if this is the case, how many bonus points will be received? The articles I read varied from anywhere between 3 and 8 bonus points. Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Does anyone know if the online test preparation is still supposed to begin tomorrow ?

I think it's safe to safe that nobody knows a freakin thing at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by kd44 View Post
    I was reading online that there was a proposal by Councilmen Comrie that applicants who graduated from NYC High Schools will receive bonus points on the exam. I was wondering if anyone knew the outcome of this proposal and if it will be implemented for the upcoming exam? Also, if this is the case, how many bonus points will be received? The articles I read varied from anywhere between 3 and 8 bonus points. Thanks

Yeah that's kind of old news at this point I guess. Long story short, if you're under 21 and went to a NYC highschool, you can get 5 points for that. However the residency points are still there for anyone else (although the criteria is different this time around). And you can't get both high school and residency credits. It's one or the other.

Thread Information