Like Tree11285Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Not a good enough fight for the city against age extension

Forum Member

The city of New York should want the most qualified individual with out discriminating against sex, race and AGE. Your either in good health and physical shape or your not. That's what the job is all about. It's about knowing you will come out of your next fire and all your brothers are accounted for.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffdude13 View Post
    EMS guys or otj..

Is the 1.5 mile run right before the academy also when they test your 4 pull ups, 30 sit ups, and 30 push-ups, also what are the rules about falling short of one, all three or a combination of any of them
    1.5 miles in under 13 minutes before being hired. This is the final test.
    Day 1 of the academy you test the 4 exercises you listed, and if you fail any of them you are required to do remedial fitness training (2 hours extra, twice a week). This time you must do the 1.5 miles in under 12 minutes, and then 30 pushups, 30 sit ups, and 4 pull ups in a minute each. A mild amount of practice should render all of these easily passable. The running is the only curveball in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    I'm not trying to be rude. But if someone cant do one of the above listed; they are probably going into the wrong career
    I think he was just asking for what the specific rules are. Also to be fair push ups don't really make you better at much else besides doing more push ups. And at no other point in the academy do they make you do sit ups.

Quote Originally Posted by 6019Victim View Post
    I don't see a benefit for the city keeping the age cut off at 29? What is their benefit for that? Also raising the age to 36 won't change a thing. It doesn't benefit the city when the age is 29 or 49. Actually come to think of it it will benefit the city when more guys pay to take the exam
    You don't think having people start a 25 year career with a significant risk of injury or death at a later age is a problem? You don't think the city has actuaries to figure out how much more likely a firefighter is to die of a heart attack on the job if they start their career at 35 instead of 30? Hiring older people absolutely does pose a risk in their eyes, and it is something that they will likely fight tooth and nail against, especially because it is discrimination that they are allowed to practice, due to the inherent risks of the job. It's laughable that you think the city cares about the $15-25 that they get from you when you sign up for the exam. The city spent millions more on administering the test than they took in in exam fees, that has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 6019Victim View Post
    However, explain why it benefits FDNY/The City of New York to raise the hiring age? What do they get out of it? Is there a tangible benefit to the city? There really needs to be if you want them to raise the age, because this isn't a one way street, this isn't just what you want, this is really about what they want for candidates.

I don't see a benefit for the city keeping the age cut off at 29? What is their benefit for that? Also raising the age to 36 won't change a thing. It doesn't benefit the city when the age is 29 or 49. Actually come to think of it it will benefit the city when more guys pay to take the exam
    Like Manhattan Medic said, you are totally missing the point. Its not about the age of a first year firefighter, the City doesn't spend all that time and money pushing a candidate through the Rock and then training on the job so 10 years after they are hired they are pushing 50 and incapable of pulling their weight the way they did when they were 25 or 30. My brother got on early in his twenties and ten years later he has a LOT of patchwork keeping him together because of the stress of the job. If he started with a body 10, 15 years older? Wouldn't have even made it this far. I sympathize with you, and I feel your pain, but just be honest about why you are advocating what you are advocating - your own position and not what benefits the Dept. I'm in the same boat - it not for the age extension, I would not be qualify for this exam. And if something doesn't work out, I won't have another chance. But I personally won't go calling foul just because the rules don't benefit me.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

I can understand as well, but 29 in my opinion is to low a number for cutoff. If they said 32 is the cutoff and not extending beyond that, I could understand. 35, 36 is to big a number for someone who gonna be waiting 4 yrs just to start the academy. They'll be pushing to close to 40 by the time they get into the rock, and then the high physical demand that's expected of you can cause a lodd right off the back. It becomes a liability issue, but I think 30, 32 for a cutoff would be more reasonable compared to 35 or 36 for a cutoff. The 6019 got lucky they got an age extension but they should of went the emt/ems route. I wish I knew about the emt promo back then but shame on me for not looking into anything and just working to support my family, I got way to comfy with the job I had and now I don't anymore.
    I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Does your probation after the academy vary from person to person? I thought it was a year but have read somewhere that some people had 18 month probation and others having 2 years. Just wonder how they decide how long to make someone's probation.

Not that it really matters, I'd do a 5 year probation if that's what it took lol.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Does your probation after the academy vary from person to person? I thought it was a year but have read somewhere that some people had 18 month probation and others having 2 years. Just wonder how they decide how long to make someone's probation.

Not that it really matters, I'd do a 5 year probation if that's what it took lol.
    I think your probation is longer if you are hired with a stip(maybe some issues in the past, etc)
    However thats just from rust I've read on here, someone otj will probably chime in with the exact answer soon. I can't wait until this thread picks up some around Jan

Forum Member

Probation ends one year from your date of appointment, unless you were hired with a stipulation for some offense or another. The most common is having a past DWI. This will extend your probation for an additional year. Other factors might extend your probation on a month to month basis. If you are given a poor review by your captain prior to completion of probation, he might opt to extend your time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Do the same step mill rules for the CPAT apply to the step mill portion of the medical? I.e., can't touch the rails.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

A thought on age limits:
    In Philly there was a group of medics that sued for age discrimination and were successful. I know there is federal law permitting these age limits and preventing suits regarding them. However, from what I gather, the long and short of it was that because the city had already hired older candidates after those laws were enacted, the court ruled that they had set a precedent that showed candidates of an age over their new age limits could be successful on the job. The city now has no age limit on their FD test whatsoever.

Now, there's probably a lot of wrinkles to the whole thing that I don't understand, but perhaps by raising the age extension this once, the city has let the cat out of the bag. If they concede that the thousands of candidates who took 6019 and aged out are still fit for the job, it might be hard for them to argue that everyone else over 29 for some reason isn't. Given what happened in Philly, the powers that be in NYC might realize that preventing another legal situation would be well worth the liability brought on by extending the age limit 5 or 6 years. Again, just a thought (from a guy who likely won't get his number called and will be "too old" next time around).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffdude13 View Post
    EMS guys or otj..

Is the 1.5 mile run right before the academy also when they test your 4 pull ups, 30 sit ups, and 30 push-ups, also what are the rules about falling short of one, all three or a combination of any of them
    Are they separated or doing them one right after the other for time? Just curious.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 12-10-2012 at 04:44 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    I can't wait until this thread picks up some around Jan
    Me too man, me too

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Do the same step mill rules for the CPAT apply to the step mill portion of the medical? I.e., can't touch the rails.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by rpnyc1 View Post
    Now, there's probably a lot of wrinkles to the whole thing that I don't understand, but perhaps by raising the age extension this once, the city has let the cat out of the bag. If they concede that the thousands of candidates who took 6019 and aged out are still fit for the job, it might be hard for them to argue that everyone else over 29 for some reason isn't. Given what happened in Philly, the powers that be in NYC might realize that preventing another legal situation would be well worth the liability brought on by extending the age limit 5 or 6 years. Again, just a thought (from a guy who likely won't get his number called and will be "too old" next time around).
    I agree with ya, the age extension as it is was the city's way of doing something nice without really making a permanent change to the age limit. It could be the first step in getting the age limit raised, however it is a battle that someone will have to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Are they separated or doing them one right after the other for time? Just curious.
    Obviously can't speak from experience, but I get the impression they would be somewhat separated, not just 3 minutes to do everything all at once (with the run before or after). I'm sure this will be answered definitively in about a month (if not sooner by someone OTJ).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Probation ends one year from your date of appointment, unless you were hired with a stipulation for some offense or another. The most common is having a past DWI. This will extend your probation for an additional year. Other factors might extend your probation on a month to month basis. If you are given a poor review by your captain prior to completion of probation, he might opt to extend your time.
    This implies that a DWI is not an automatic disqualification. Do you or anyone know if the FDNY has the same rule that NYPD has that states you need at least 5 years of not having an alcohol related incident after your conviction of a DWI before you are hired?
    Last edited by DannyD0pe; 12-10-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    This implies that a DWI is not an automatic disqualification. Do you or anyone know if the FDNY has the same rule that NYPD has that states you need at least 5 years of not having an alcohol related incident after your conviction of a DWI before you are hired?
    Pd is incredibly strict with alcohol. Its pretty common during pd's oral psych to ask how many drinks you've had in your whole lifetime. Anything other than holidays and special occasions is frowned upon. I just went through the process, and they're really tough on drinking dwi is a def dq. I don't think fd is as strict being that they've hired with stips in the past.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    I can understand as well, but 29 in my opinion is to low a number for cutoff. If they said 32 is the cutoff and not extending beyond that, I could understand. 35, 36 is to big a number for someone who gonna be waiting 4 yrs just to start the academy. They'll be pushing to close to 40 by the time they get into the rock, and then the high physical demand that's expected of you can cause a lodd right off the back. It becomes a liability issue, but I think 30, 32 for a cutoff would be more reasonable compared to 35 or 36 for a cutoff. The 6019 got lucky they got an age extension but they should of went the emt/ems route. I wish I knew about the emt promo back then but shame on me for not looking into anything and just working to support my family, I got way to comfy with the job I had and now I don't anymore.
    I'm not saying I agree with 36. What I'm saying is I don't see it being fair for 6019 candidates to have an age extension on just one NOE. That's not EEO. I agree with 29 being an odd low age cut off. 32 would be solid

Forum Member

Hey guys. Just joined the thread. I have a sub 600 list number and I'm excited to hopefully get some mail soon.

Forum Member

The plight of 6019 people is bulls@*t. However, the one age extension is enough. The age limit is fair and for good reason. Guys I work with who are in their 50's are physically beat up. This job is just hard on the body. I'm in my 30s and I feel worn out from time to time and I'm in good shape.
    I3akdraf and grok350 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpnyc1 View Post
    A thought on age limits:
    In Philly there was a group of medics that sued for age discrimination and were successful. I know there is federal law permitting these age limits and preventing suits regarding them. However, from what I gather, the long and short of it was that because the city had already hired older candidates after those laws were enacted, the court ruled that they had set a precedent that showed candidates of an age over their new age limits could be successful on the job. The city now has no age limit on their FD test whatsoever.

This is really interesting, thanks for sharing. I guess there is precedent for the lawsuit, so maybe we'll see something like that happen soon here as well...
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Anothering thing is I think military people are excluded from the age requirement or something. I have been told that military guys start at even older age than we old 6019 testers.

So this would also set precedent.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    Anothering thing is I think military people are excluded from the age requirement or something.
    "All persons who were engaged in military duty as defined in Section 243 of New York State Military Law may deduct from their actual age the length of time spent in such military duty up to a maximum deduction of six years."

I have been told that military guys start at even older age than we old 6019 testers.
    And people who took 6019 can sit for Exam 2000 as long as they have not reached their 36th birthday. Military members must not have reached their 35th birthday to sit for Exam 2000.

Almost every state I have ever tested in has the same rule for former military members.
    Last edited by zachryw2001; 12-11-2012 at 11:28 AM.
    nycthirteen likes this.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

Forum Member

Anothering thing is I think military people are excluded from the age requirement or something. I have been told that military guys start at even older age than we old 6019 testers.

So this would also set precedent.
    Set precedent for what??? if people don't like the fact that this is done for military personnel.....dont be a coward and serve your country and you will receive the same benefits
    zachryw2001 and nycthirteen like this.

Forum Member

He did not use the military as a example other than to say that people are obviously capable at older ages. If he is young enough he should join the military, I wish I did.
    If he is older, I am sure(or hope) he just meant it as older people are still capable, proof being vets do it, not that vets don't deserve their extension, at least I hope thats how he meant it.

IMO veterans obviously deserve the extension as I think every one agrees, and the reason it won't be extended for everyone, is partly the competition.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 12-11-2012 at 02:06 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

No one should be forced to forfeit opportunities like working in the FD because they were serving, and thankfully the laws have been set up to take care of that. The military extension is specified in the laws and not related to the precedent the courts were talking about in Philly.

In Philly, the issue was that after the laws regarding age limits had been passed, the city continued to maintain a certain age limit for civilian and civil servant applicants, and then lowered the age limits a few years later. The court ruled that because they'd voluntarily hired older candidates and couldn't prove any adverse effects of doing so, they had to continue hiring candidates of that age. Basically they said, "you can pick an age limit and stick to it, but you can't hire up to 35 years old one year and then only up to 29 the next." The city chose to abolish age limits all together this time around, which surprised a lot of people. They do have an interview process though, so maybe they just flush guys they think are too old during that phase.

Anyway, the only way I see things changing in NYC (and I'm not saying they should, it's just an interesting possibility that will affect a lot of guys) is if someone can make the argument that extending the age limits for 6019 means it should be extended for all. The argument being that, yes, 6019 guys got a raw deal, but the city still can't hire them if their age is truly a liability. If the city is okay with offering the test to thousands of applicants over 29, then they can't turn around in four years and say "anyone over 29 is too much of a risk to hire." It's one or the other, and the city seemed to make that choice with the 6019 candidates for exam 2000.

Forum Member

Hey everyone.. Got diagnosed with diabetes a few days ago! Been trying to speak with someone at Metrotech but not much luck. Am I outta the game now with this diagnosis or is it still possible to get on the dept with this? Any help would be appreciated.

Exam - 2000
    List - 79xx

Forum Member

Watch Forks Over Knives :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ijukNzlUg

Maybe changing your diet can help? Worth a shot.
    Score: 99
    List #: 4XXX

Thread Information