Like Tree9513Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Just curious how many of you have your weight vest and have been doing stairs? Also which gyms are you guys going to that have a stairmill? I'm going with nysc
    Just got mine in the mail along with the heart monitor someone said they use at the medical. I was able to pick up a 80lb vest on ebay for around $160 shipped.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    Just curious how many of you have your weight vest and have been doing stairs? Also which gyms are you guys going to that have a stairmill? I'm going with nysc
    Just got mine in the mail along with the heart monitor someone said they use at the medical. I was able to pick up a 80lb vest on ebay for around $160 shipped.
    I'm pretty broke right now so for me its been, a couple of 35lbs dumbbells wrapped in a towel and put in a backpack. Then I walk to the longest staircase in my neighborhood (unfortunately only 14 steps high) and walk up and down it for 10 minutes. Thankfully my GF has a heart monitor I can borrow.

Pretty Ghetto but I feel like its getting the job done.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    I'm pretty broke right now so for me its been, a couple of 35lbs dumbbells wrapped in a towel and put in a backpack. Then I walk to the longest staircase in my neighborhood (unfortunately only 14 steps high) and walk up and down it for 10 minutes. Thankfully my GF has a heart monitor I can borrow.

Pretty Ghetto but I feel like its getting the job done.
    I hear ya lol. I had to ask for mine as an early xmas present. I was thinking of finding a set of stairs to train with it, but I hear going down the steps is especially hard on the knees which is why I need to shell out some money to join a gym with the stairmill

Forum Member

2x a week I work out on a stairs machine like the one we'll use for the cpat/med. im up to 58lbs for 10 minutes (4 minutes without touching the rails). Then ill drop down to body weight and up the speed any where between 7-10 for another 10 minutes. Im trying to add about 4lbs per week to the vest until I get to 75lbs. Ideally I'd be on the stairs for 10 minutes at 75lbs without touching the sides. Baby steps though haha
    Dannypanigale likes this.

Forum Member

Does anyone know if bring prescribed antidepressants in the past can disqualify someone from being hired? I'm pretty sure that that can be considered descrimination but I'm curious if anyone has any info on it or knows someone who has been through the same situation

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    I hear ya lol. I had to ask for mine as an early xmas present. I was thinking of finding a set of stairs to train with it, but I hear going down the steps is especially hard on the knees which is why I need to shell out some money to join a gym with the stairmill
    Has anyone trained on both types of step mills, and if so is there that much of a difference? My gym only has the old school one, not like the CPAT type. Still should do the trick as far as training right?
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe smith View Post
    Does anyone know if bring prescribed antidepressants in the past can disqualify someone from being hired? I'm pretty sure that that can be considered descrimination but I'm curious if anyone has any info on it or knows someone who has been through the same situation

i'm not sure but i would imagine the psychiatrist would want to have a serious chat with that person if they were.

Edit: don't take my word too seriously. i just remembered how anxious i used to get reading through the old thread 4 years ago just to find out i was worrying myself over joey jerkoff's opinion spouted off as fact. the reason i said that about the psychiatrist was only because of what i've read about people sending up red flags when they take the written psych and being asked to come in and speak with the M.D.
    Last edited by J0hnnyb0y; 12-11-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Forum Member

So I've herd two rumors churning out of the rumor mill this week. Only 200 people have so far passed the medical from the EMT list. And also they don't have enough people to fill the first class I herd this from an instructor at the rock.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureFirefighter2000 View Post
    So I've herd two rumors churning out of the rumor mill this week. Only 200 people have so far passed the medical from the EMT list. And also they don't have enough people to fill the first class I herd this from an instructor at the rock.
    Same dude. Spoke to a lt. in W-Burg yesterday. He didn't give any numbers but he said they were really having trouble filling up the entire class. He also said don't be surprised if hundreds of guys with high #s are unable to prove residency for the OC.
    Last edited by mocon337; 12-11-2012 at 08:43 PM.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stang0480 View Post
    Hey everyone.. Got diagnosed with diabetes a few days ago! Been trying to speak with someone at Metrotech but not much luck. Am I outta the game now with this diagnosis or is it still possible to get on the dept with this? Any help would be appreciated.

Exam - 2000
    List - 79xx

which type do you have. That sucks, are you insulin dependent.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Same dude. Spoke to a lt. in W-Burg yesterday. He didn't give any numbers but he said they were really having trouble filling up the entire class. He also said don't be surprised if hundreds of guys with high #s are unable to prove residency for the OC.
    I think its gonna be more than that.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I think its gonna be more than that.
    Well I meant in regards to my number. You could probably get bumped up a thousand spots or more if that be the case. Not rooting for anyone to fail but that would be pretty damn helpful haha
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureFirefighter2000 View Post
    The first OC guy that gets their packet in the mail and posts in this thread gets a prize !

Forum Member

If you get your score adjusted, will dcas eventually establish an updated list of new scores?
    Test 2000
    Score:98
    List# 5XXX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stang0480 View Post
    Hey everyone.. Got diagnosed with diabetes a few days ago! Been trying to speak with someone at Metrotech but not much luck. Am I outta the game now with this diagnosis or is it still possible to get on the dept with this? Any help would be appreciated.

Exam - 2000
    List - 79xx
    The chances of your list number getting called is approximately 3 -4 years so you have plenty of time to change your diet, progress and get better for the long term. Good luck and stay healthy !

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    The chances of your list number getting called is approximately 3 -4 years so you have plenty of time to change your diet, progress and get better for the long term. Good luck and stay healthy !
    It all comes down to if it's Type I or II diabetes. Type II can be managed fairly well or possibly "cured", Type I on the other hand is genetic and not much can be done about it. Hopefully future treatments can cure Type I because it's really an unfortunate disease.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 99
    List #: 38xx

Forum Member

869 emts and they can't even get 200 into the academy? Jesus Xmas

Let's just hope fdny decides on what to do NOW and not wait until mid January to make a decision on the postponement of the first class. Something tells me the latter will occur.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post

Let's just hope fdny decides on what to do NOW and not wait until mid January to make a decision on the postponement of the first class. Something tells me the latter will occur.
    plz god i hope not. Ill be rdy for june.

Is this stuff really true thats being said? Or is it just rumor? because i heard the ratio for emt promo was 1.5to1 so it would be really odd to me if they couldnt fill the class

Forum Member

Anticipating a disaster a scenario like we had with 6019, I am curious of something regarding the age "waiver" for military veterans... I am 25 now and, assuming worst case scenario of the next filing period opening after my twenty ninth birthday, could I theoretically sign up for a four year enlistment a week before my birthday, serve four years, take the written exam whenever it is offered during that time span, and then be eligible for hire when I get discharged at the age of 33?? I'm confused by how the military age preference is enforced

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by J0hnnyb0y View Post
    Anticipating a disaster a scenario like we had with 6019, I am curious of something regarding the age "waiver" for military veterans... I am 25 now and, assuming worst case scenario of the next filing period opening after my twenty ninth birthday, could I theoretically sign up for a four year enlistment a week before my birthday, serve four years, take the written exam whenever it is offered during that time span, and then be eligible for hire when I get discharged at the age of 33?? I'm confused by how the military age preference is enforced
    First off don't just join the military for the sole reason of getting on FDNY or any fire department. Join the military because you truly have a desire to serve your country. I served with to many people who joined just to have the benefits when they got out and you could definitely tell they truly hated the time they spent in.

And the way that the New York State Military Law works (ad most other states work) is that for each year you serve honorably you can deduct those years from your actual age. If you are 33 and served 5 years, then for the purpose of testing you would only be 28 and therefore eligible to sit for FDNY.
    ffbam24 likes this.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Remember that 869 is not the accurate #. Many can not be processed due to insufficient time on the job right now. Over the next 1-2 years probably 1-200 will become eligible and be processed.

Last week my investigator told me that 1/14 was still the plan, though I realize that doesn't necessarily mean much. Worth noting though that they are not yet done with the medical retests, and probably not done with the CPATs either, so the picture isn't complete yet.

Re: Diabetes dude: you probably cannot get on the job with diabetes unless it's type 2 that you are able to control with diet. If it's type 1 and you need insulin... I just can't see them allowing that. Could be worth trying to call a recruitment # and asking.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    First off don't just join the military for the sole reason of getting on FDNY or any fire department. Join the military because you truly have a desire to serve your country. I served with to many people who joined just to have the benefits when they got out and you could definitely tell they truly hated the time they spent in.

And the way that the New York State Military Law works (ad most other states work) is that for each year you serve honorably you can deduct those years from your actual age. If you are 33 and served 5 years, then for the purpose of testing you would only be 28 and therefore eligible to sit for FDNY.
    i appreciate your advice but with all due respect if it ends up being my last and only option of getting otj i will do it in a heartbeat. your second paragraph....that's assuming that the timing works out perfectly and a person would be getting out of the military at the same year that the test is being offered, right? what if it isn't offered for another year or so after being discharged, and the person is 34 or 35 (30 or 31 after deducting years served). is that person SOL? do you know if they (various military branches) have a history of working with servicemen as far as allowing them to sit for the exams when they offered during the period of time that they are on active duty?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Remember that 869 is not the accurate #. Many can not be processed due to insufficient time on the job right now. Over the next 1-2 years probably 1-200 will become eligible and be processed.

Last week my investigator told me that 1/14 was still the plan, though I realize that doesn't necessarily mean much. Worth noting though that they are not yet done with the medical retests, and probably not done with the CPATs either, so the picture isn't complete yet.

Re: Diabetes dude: you probably cannot get on the job with diabetes unless it's type 2 that you are able to control with diet. If it's type 1 and you need insulin... I just can't see them allowing that. Could be worth trying to call a recruitment # and asking.
    Yeah well if we use your timeline as a reference than the final cpat and the 30 day extended medical should be wrapping up by early next week.

We also have to think about how many eligibles will fail the 1.5 mile.

Conclusion? Who knows what's going to happen.
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Yeah well if we use your timeline as a reference than the final cpat and the 30 day extended medical should be wrapping up by early next week.

We also have to think about how many eligibles will fail the 1.5 mile.

Conclusion? Who knows what's going to happen.
    no one knows for sure but i cant see them delaying the first class if they have over 200

Forum Member

A captain at HQ said 330 from EMS are currently ready for January 14th. The chief newspaper also reported in a small blurb in the last issue that the class is proceeding as planned. CID told a few people I know the run is planned for Jan 2-5.
    Exam 2500
    List: 10x
    Medical: Passed
    CPAT: 7:50 Passed
    Candidate run: 9:30
    Class: 1/14/2013?

Thread Information