Like Tree9514Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #5776
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe smith View Post
    Does anyone know if bring prescribed antidepressants in the past can disqualify someone from being hired? I'm pretty sure that that can be considered descrimination but I'm curious if anyone has any info on it or knows someone who has been through the same situation
    It's case by case. You'll have to see the Psychiatrist and explain your case. As long as you don't have any current problems you should be ok.
    FDNY Exam 6019 List# 14XX.
    Lawsuit Victim: Completed process, cancelled academy.

    FDNY Exam 2000 List# 6XX.

  2. #5777
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    28

    Default

    One of my ems friends failed the medical the first time and passed the second. He said that was the norm. All of the people that were there that day were for retesting and all of them passed.

    There's not much we can do. They're not cancelling this class no matter what the size, that's obvious.

  3. #5778
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Thanks man...

  4. #5779
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Okay so out of the EMS guys what number did they get up to? kinda important info for us OC guys.
    Plz if u dont know for sure, no guesses. HAHA!

    WHERE IS MY PACKET!!!!!

  5. #5780
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    Okay so out of the EMS guys what number did they get up to? kinda important info for us OC guys.
    Plz if u dont know for sure, no guesses. HAHA!

    WHERE IS MY PACKET!!!!!
    This isn't relevant because of the time on the job thing. Also we do not have the possibility of having our score adjusted for lying about residency because there is no residency credit on the promotion. They canvassed the whole list, but the # they reach won't be a great guide for you guys.

  6. #5781
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    Okay so out of the EMS guys what number did they get up to? kinda important info for us OC guys.
    Plz if u dont know for sure, no guesses. HAHA!

    WHERE IS MY PACKET!!!!!
    I wouldn't put much faith in that promo list number. The factors that effect that list are very different than those that will impact the open competitive list. You're gonna have to wait for the first class or two off the OC to learn anything.

  7. #5782
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    I wouldn't put much faith in that promo list number. The factors that effect that list are very different than those that will impact the open competitive list. You're gonna have to wait for the first class or two off the OC to learn anything.
    thanks and thank you too Manhattan medic

    my list number is 8xx so i was hoping to be in that first OC class

  8. #5783
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    thanks and thank you too Manhattan medic

    my list number is 8xx so i was hoping to be in that first OC class
    Well you know you will be processed for it. Whether or not they reach that far down is hard to say, but you gotta prepare like they might.
    coldblood92 likes this.

  9. #5784
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sffdnyhopeful09 View Post
    Thanks for the quick response but that's not what I was referring to. I was actually referring to the Myerjack workout that Lt. Cassiola gave out in the weight room. It basically had a straight rundown of exercises to go through for a full body circuit in a specific order.
    Fireman James Myerjack was a Bronx truckie and a powerlifter(bench, squat, deadlift). While he was very strong, and by accounts a good fireman, he noticed that he was lacking in endurance on the fireground. So he developed a full body circuit.

    Core x 20-25 reps(or max)
    Low Back x 20-25 reps (or max)
    Shoulders x 20-25 reps
    Upper Back x 20-25 reps
    Chest x 20-25 reps
    Biceps x 20-25 reps
    Triceps x 20-25 reps
    Quads x 20-25 reps
    Hamstrings x 20-25 reps
    Calves x 20-25 reps

    x 1-3 sets, 1-3 minutes of rest.

    Sample exercises:

    Core: V-Ups, Leg Raises, 3 point plank holds(instead of reps, go for minutes) or weighted planks, Flutter kicks, etc. Personally I am more of a fan of core stability exercises then things like situps and the like. Try this laying down: Leg raise off the floor 6-12 inches(hold), spread legs(hold), full leg raise, and flutter kick.

    Low back: Superman holds, back extensions, stiff leg good mornings/seated good mornings, bird dogs I suppose you can work in some deadlifts, just don't go for max reps and be aware of your training volume from the whole week.

    Shoulders: Double Dumbbell/Kettlebell shoulder presses. You can do with a barbell, but again watch your training volume, stay between an empty bar to 65 pounds.

    Upper Back: Dumbbell/Kettlebell rows.

    Chest: Weighted pushups, dumbbell bench press, dips with a forward lean

    Biceps: Dumbbell curls, barbell curls(empty bar should be fine)

    Triceps: Triceps extensions(bodyweight with suspension bands/trx, standing dumbbell, strict standing with trx, lying down), pushdowns, dips(upright).

    Quads: Front squats, bulgarian spit squats, step ups(dumbbell), lunges(I dont care for them), goblet squats. Again watch the volume if you are already back and front squatting.

    Hamstrings: Romanian deadlifts, kettlebell swings

    Calves: Raises

    I think the original workout includes some machine work(cables, leg machines), hard to do that without being an *******. Unless you gym is dead/empty.

    Also look into getting a kettlebell. It is a great tool for higher rep work. Great cardio workout, beats running IMO. Combine the kettlebell with some bodyweight exercises/suspension/TRX exercises.

    The original workout was posted in the List 2043 thread!
    Last edited by mky915; 12-12-2012 at 09:42 PM.
    CableGuy516 likes this.

  10. #5785
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Disregard it was in the List 6019 thread posted by shanahan14. I got the order messed up, so disregard my order.

    Myerjack circuit training

    This is for matty21 and any1 else who wants to try it.The muscle groups are 1 ABS 2 LOWER BACK 3 CHEST 4 UPPER BACK 5 SHOULDERS 6 BIS 7 TRIS 8 QUADS 9 HAMSTRINGS 10 CALVES

    You do 1 exercise for each body part and then w/o rest go directly to the next exercise. Ex.abs to l. back to chest till you get to calves. 1st revolution do 20-25 reps ( only abs and l. back extensions do till failure) This is for muscular endurance

    Start with one or two revolutions and work your way to four. If you want muscle mass do 20-25 reps for 12 workout sessions. after 12 sessions, do 20-25 reps 1st time around, 15-20 2nd (more weight or resistance each time), 10-15, and last 6-10 reps ( for the 4th time around. Change up the exercise for each time you go around. ex chest- do flat, inlcine, flyes etc.

    Just keep jumping from machine to machine or station to station- it builds endurance and is aerobic training because of the little rest. good luck. If you are not familiar with the equipment get a trainer, don't hurt yourself.

    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t97154-72/#post961741 (Fdny List 6019)

  11. #5786
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mky915 View Post
    Also look into getting a kettlebell. It is a great tool for higher rep work. Great cardio workout, beats running IMO. Combine the kettlebell with some bodyweight exercises/suspension/TRX exercises.

    Kettlebells are getting very popular it seems. There are a decent amount at my gym. I want to get more into them, but got turned off after using them with what was most likely improper form. Doing swings (two handed) is obviously the main exercise. Anything else you recommend? Youtube is free and amazing for tutorials these days. For everything from exercising to learning guitar.

  12. #5787
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Kettlebells are getting very popular it seems. There are a decent amount at my gym. I want to get more into them, but got turned off after using them with what was most likely improper form. Doing swings (two handed) is obviously the main exercise. Anything else you recommend? Youtube is free and amazing for tutorials these days. For everything from exercising to learning guitar.
    The two handed swing is the foundation. You can also do them single handed. Keeping working on the form. Use and snap those hips!

    The King of Kettlbell lifts is the single arm snatch. The three main lifts are the swing, clean, and snatch. Some other lifts are your standard shoulder pressing, single arm rows, and goblet squats. For the core Turkish Get Ups.

    I always do them in some sort of circuit or pyramid fashion. I like pyramids (pyramid down and pyramid up).
    sffdnyhopeful09 likes this.

  13. #5788
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    861

    Default

    Thanks bro!

  14. #5789
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,075

    Default

    The swing and the snatch are great for mixing strength and endurance, however there are nuances to the form, and so you should be careful at first, because you can hurt yourself if you aren't comfortable with doing the moves correctly. Sets of swings/snatches can be worked into crossfit style circuits easily and are great for that kind of stuff.

  15. #5790
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    The swing and the snatch are great for mixing strength and endurance, however there are nuances to the form, and so you should be careful at first, because you can hurt yourself if you aren't comfortable with doing the moves correctly. Sets of swings/snatches can be worked into crossfit style circuits easily and are great for that kind of stuff.
    Duly noted. It sucks trying to perfect the form in public on any kind of lift before upping the weight. I feel like chicks are looking at you funny haha. I know it's all in the mind though, nobody gives two F's...
    mocon337 likes this.

  16. #5791
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    I screwed up a muscle in my lower back pretty bad by using bad form/too much weight on kb swings when I was first starting out. Definitely make sure you are doing the movement correctly. If you try to distribute your weight on your feet as the kb moves (in front of you on the balls of your feet, under your crotch on your heels) and remember you lift the kb up by popping your hips, not using your arms that should be a good foundation to get started.
    Spiderneck30 likes this.

  17. #5792
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Hey guys, first off i want to thank you for all the good insight you've all given into this long and unsure process. Ive been following this thread for a couple of months and would be lost without it. I have a pretty high list number so like most of you in here I'm anxiously waiting for that mailing. Im in great shape as far as my heart rate and1.5 mile run time is concerned. I do have one major concern though. About a year ago i herniated 2 discs at work and went out on workers comp for 3 months. Since then i have made a full recovery and through extensive research, therapy, diet change i have been able to resume full physical activities with no limitations. I can do everything i was able to do before the injury and have not had signs of flare ups ever since. Doc said it seems like the discs got reabsorbed and I'm good to go. I'm worried this will prevent me from getting my/our dream job. If anyone has any insight on this i would love to hear it. Will i have an opportunty to prove to the doctor that i am healed and have no limitation. If i thought this would keep me from doing this job to the ability its supposed to be done i would step away but i know it won't stop me but am getting mixed reviews on how the fdny will take it.

  18. #5793
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Interesting article by Rippetoe at T-Nation, he addresses police/fire academies and military bootcamps at the end. I personally agree with the spirit of this article.

    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ning_is_a_sham

  19. #5794
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firehopeful88 View Post
    Hey guys, first off i want to thank you for all the good insight you've all given into this long and unsure process. Ive been following this thread for a couple of months and would be lost without it. I have a pretty high list number so like most of you in here I'm anxiously waiting for that mailing. Im in great shape as far as my heart rate and1.5 mile run time is concerned. I do have one major concern though. About a year ago i herniated 2 discs at work and went out on workers comp for 3 months. Since then i have made a full recovery and through extensive research, therapy, diet change i have been able to resume full physical activities with no limitations. I can do everything i was able to do before the injury and have not had signs of flare ups ever since. Doc said it seems like the discs got reabsorbed and I'm good to go. I'm worried this will prevent me from getting my/our dream job. If anyone has any insight on this i would love to hear it. Will i have an opportunty to prove to the doctor that i am healed and have no limitation. If i thought this would keep me from doing this job to the ability its supposed to be done i would step away but i know it won't stop me but am getting mixed reviews on how the fdny will take it.
    Re: FD physical exams

    It's all up to the MD and his discretion.

  20. #5795
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Sup guys. I finally got my hands on a stairmaster machine. Either I understimated the stairmaster or I set the speed too high. I remember somone posting the settings that they use at the academy for the CPAT but cant seem to find it. Can someone please repost that.

  21. #5796
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I received my letter with a list number #44xx. As far as I can tell, I should expect to get a call within the next four years. Great. I do have one concern however.

    When I was 18 I took a physical prior to starting college football. I was told that I had a heart murmur. I did an echocardiogram and the doctor didn't think anything of it. He cleared me and I played a couple years of college ball. Prior to that, in high school I was very active, competed in decathlons, never had an issue.

    What do you guys think? Have you ever heard of someone failing the medical due to a heart murmur?

    Maybe I should get a physical to see if the heart murmur has gone away since five years ago?

  22. #5797
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post
    Sup guys. I finally got my hands on a stairmaster machine. Either I understimated the stairmaster or I set the speed too high. I remember somone posting the settings that they use at the academy for the CPAT but cant seem to find it. Can someone please repost that.
    I believe the stairmill at the medical is at 60steps/min. The stairmaster is something different than a stairmill. One of the ems guys that took it already can chime in.

  23. #5798
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Hello everyone. Been following this thread for quite some time and have finally decided to take the plung and post. Anyway I was told by a good friend of mine who is OTJ that there will be a total of 10 classes. Each with 300 candidates and each class lasting 4 months. Iam not sure if the ems class is counted as one of the 10. Just curious, has anyone else heard anything along those lines? Maybe one of you ems guys heard something? I would normally never ever pass some scoop unless its was 100% verfied, but my friend has been dead on as far as the information he's been giving me.
    Exam 2000
    Score 101
    List # 18XX
    Intake 03/05/14
    Cpat 03/27/14 - Passed
    Medical 07/22/14
    Psychological 08/09/14

  24. #5799
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mky915 View Post
    Interesting article by Rippetoe at T-Nation, he addresses police/fire academies and military bootcamps at the end. I personally agree with the spirit of this article.

    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ning_is_a_sham
    Good link.

    I have to agree with it from my personal expierence in the past few months. I quit lifting heavy and started running more and the result was that I got fat and lazy. I joined a new gym last week and I already feel so much better.

    In the article it also states that you can condition your body within 2 weeks. I think im going to go with this logic. Ill start running a few weeks before the actual academy. No point in destroying your knees and ankles now. Thats just my opinion.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

  25. #5800
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firehopeful88 View Post
    Herniated discs
    Quote Originally Posted by sully35 View Post
    Heart murmur
    I am no expert on what are automatic disqualifiers, however both of you better expect to go to a specialist and get documentation from them that the condition is resolved or benign. It's up to the doctor as to whether or not that will suffice.

    Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post
    Sup guys. I finally got my hands on a stairmaster machine. Either I understimated the stairmaster or I set the speed too high. I remember somone posting the settings that they use at the academy for the CPAT but cant seem to find it. Can someone please repost that.
    First off, you're using this, right:
    http://www.michellemasonfitness.com/.../stairmill.png

    And for testing it's 60 steps/minute, which is I think level 5. If you can't figure out the speed for each level just go up to 4-6, and start a stop watch. You can keep time by counting each step if you are at the right speed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gheech View Post
    10 4 month long academies
    The 10 back to back academy thing has been rumored here, though there's no official story about it. Maybe, maybe not? We'll see in the next year or 2. I will say that we were told several months ago that the academy would be 20 weeks long. Don't know if that's still the case.

    Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Ill start running a few weeks before the actual academy. No point in destroying your knees and ankles now. Thats just my opinion.
    You should start running before that, or at least gauge how well you can do the 1.5 mile run. I think more than a few people might be caught off guard by that. It's a long distance to run on just adrenaline and hope. Also the amount of running needed to prepare for this shouldn't be so much that it's tearing up your joints, unless you have poor form or ****ty shoes.
    Last edited by Manhattan Medic; 12-13-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 42 users browsing this thread. (8 members and 34 guests)

  1. 4040clubBouncer,
  2. DedicatedAmbition,
  3. frankp88,
  4. lukerep,
  5. Matador611,
  6. Ravendmb1,
  7. thehulk

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 12:13 PM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register