Like Tree9532Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    In the article it also states that you can condition your body within 2 weeks. I think im going to go with this logic. Ill start running a few weeks before the actual academy. No point in destroying your knees and ankles now. Thats just my opinion.
    I would very much advise against going from zero miles / week of running to a program of 15-20 miles a week of tempo runs at the academy. You need to condition your muscles and joints, not just your cardio, to sustain a program of running like that over a prolonged period of time. Otherwise you can very easily end up with tendonitis, bursitis, shin splints or other overuse injuries that comes with ramping up a program too quickly.

I'm not saying I'd advise running A LOT before the academy, but a general cardio program (however you want to do it) with at least 5 miles of running / week is what I would recommend.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Good link.

I have to agree with it from my personal expierence in the past few months. I quit lifting heavy and started running more and the result was that I got fat and lazy. I joined a new gym last week and I already feel so much better.

In the article it also states that you can condition your body within 2 weeks. I think im going to go with this logic. Ill start running a few weeks before the actual academy. No point in destroying your knees and ankles now. Thats just my opinion.
    How did you get fat and lazy while on a running program? Maybe it just wasn't designed right for you?

I will say that from experience, I was never a runner. I was always the guy who looked in shape, but ask me to run 1.5 miles in under 12 minutes and there was no way. In preparation for a job where I would have to go through some type of academy, I started a running program. It didn't take me 2 weeks to get to a level where I could pass the entry exams (all of which revolve around a 1.5 miles run in the range of 12-13 minutes). It took me probably about 6 months to a year to get comfortable in that range. But I refused to stop running because, like the article said, if you don't use it you lose it pretty quick. In doing so, I've gotten my times down big time over the past 2-3 years. I can now run 1.5 miles under 12 minutes in my sleep.

I took on this venture because, like the article states, entry fitness tests and academies are based on conditioning. I want to be physically prepared for that academy so that my conditioning does not get in the way of me learning the job. My training has been focused on: 1. getting my foot in the door by passing an entry fitness test, and 2. making it through the academy. I always figured that once I got on a job, I could then tailor my training based on what the demands of the job were.

So yeah, this article may be 100% accurate that strength training is more worthwhile and practical than conditioning. Hopefully we all have a 20+ year career in front of us, but before that we all have to go through an academy where we will probably do more conditioning in 20 weeks than we will for the rest of our lives after that. Right or wrong, it is what it is and that's what I'm preparing for.

*Disclaimer* I'm not saying, "Just run," but I guess I am saying "Don't just lift." A good mix of running and body-weight calisthenics can do wonders for anyone!
    Last edited by CableGuy516; 12-13-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Forum Member

x 2 CableGuy

Well said. Unless things are going to change, suck it up and hit the pavement. Being a good runner doesn't necessary enhance performance on the fireground, but being a good runner is necessary for most fire academies. Lots of programs to maximize times for running <5miles.

I love to see a change in PT programs in fire academies, just $, logistics, and tradition are some barriers that need to be climbed. Conditioning with sandbags, dragging tires forward and backward, wrestling partner carries, sledgehammer swings, the use of OOS hose to sprint and pull and for weighted pushups, are cheap alternatives towards the right direction, imo.

Forum Member

Sorry I wasn't clear on a few issues. I didn't completely abandon running. I still run about 5 miles a week but that is a huge step back from what I was doing last month. 15 mile minimums per week.

I used to be 230 pounds and lost over 50 pounds just by focusing on lifting and protein shakes/bars. I guess once I stopped lifting my body just went back to its old habits. Everybody is different tho, that's just how my body and mind reacts to a lack of picking things up and putting it down.

As for the actual academy, you start off running 1.5 miles a day and gradually climb to 5 or 6 mile runs by the end of 20 weeks. So no one there is expecting you to be a marathon runner. The only expectation is that you pass the first in under 12 min and even than they give you a 1 min leeway. I could do that with no problem so the way I see it is that I have to enter the academy 100 percent and for me that means concentrating on lifting and just being an everyday juicebag (minus the juice lol).

Thanks for your guys thoughts and concerns.
    nycthirteen likes this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mky915 View Post
    Interesting article by Rippetoe at T-Nation, he addresses police/fire academies and military bootcamps at the end. I personally agree with the spirit of this article.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ning_is_a_sham
    I have been to his seminars, I think RIPP is awesome, but you have to run in the academy, you have to run to get into the academy.

I would still lift weights or do push up and pull ups. I plan on lifting and running on off days, but not running every day. Then shift it more towards running a little more and lifting a little less.

we will see how I end up changing things.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 12-13-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

I'm getting frustrated because I was going along fine with a decent amount of running, but in the last month I've started having overtraining injuries... even though I don't think I have been. I realized part of the problem might be the 2 year old sneakers, but even after replacing them I'm having a hard time getting back into the swing of things. Super annoying.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I'm getting frustrated because I was going along fine with a decent amount of running, but in the last month I've started having overtraining injuries... even though I don't think I have been. I realized part of the problem might be the 2 year old sneakers, but even after replacing them I'm having a hard time getting back into the swing of things. Super annoying.
    If you're feeling pretty good about the running times and distances, give yourself a break before the academy starts. Take a few days off, lighten up on the running for the two weeks or longer prior to the 14th. The academy is hard on the body, beyond running and lifting. Don't start with workout fatigue. Be healed and rested.
    DannyD0pe likes this.

Forum Member

I know it's hard to since you're short on time before the academy, but you have to get back into it slowly. If you're still feeling pain, ideally you probably need a couple weeks off of recuperation but I don't think you've got that. Maybe just take a 4-5 day stretch off and see how it feels? If I feel discomfort during/after a run I will usually just give it a long weekend off as a precaution and that does the trick.

Guys who do have time to build a running plan - please increase slowly! If you rush into it and overtrain, the injuries are so hard to overcome. The only thing you can do is rest it and then you will be back to square one again. I know someone who went from very little running to half marathon training. After the race, they were all sorts of messed up and the only cure was rest followed by physical therapy before they could even attempt to run a mile again.

Forum Member

Thanks, it sucks, but I know your both right. I've comfortably done the 1.5 on my own in the allotted time, so I'm not too worried about losing that, especially when I can do other exercises to keep my cardio up without running. Still, it would definitely suck to start the academy with any sort of injury. I can't imagine how one would make it through if on day one you've got tendonitis or something.

Forum Member

Still, it would definitely suck to start the academy with any sort of injury. I can't imagine how one would make it through if on day one you've got tendonitis or something.
    You said it man. I'd rather be winded than deal with pain!

MembersZone Subscriber

As for the actual academy, you start off running 1.5 miles a day and gradually climb to 5 or 6 mile runs by the end of 20 weeks. So no one there is expecting you to be a marathon runner. The only expectation is that you pass the first in under 12 min and even than they give you a 1 min leeway. I could do that with no problem so the way I see it is that I have to enter the academy 100 percent and for me that means concentrating on lifting and just being an everyday juicebag (minus the juice lol).
    So you've been through it?
    The 1.5 mile run is just a requirement at the beginning and the end of the academy.
    You can very well be running 3 to 5 miles during PT the first week. It just depends on who the instructor is.
    You may very well be up to 7-8 at the end.

What does this mean?
    A: Run. It's no joke.

Don't overtrain to pain or injury and only your body can tell you that. But you need to be ready. You may not be the fastest runner, but you won't be the slowest. And when you finish, don't just collapse and wait for the rest to cross the finish line. You cheer the others still running on until everyone finishes.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    So you've been through it?
    The 1.5 mile run is just a requirement at the beginning and the end of the academy.
    You can very well be running 3 to 5 miles during PT the first week. It just depends on who the instructor is.
    You may very well be up to 7-8 at the end.

What does this mean?
    A: Run. It's no joke.

Don't overtrain to pain or injury and only your body can tell you that. But you need to be ready. You may not be the fastest runner, but you won't be the slowest. And when you finish, don't just collapse and wait for the rest to cross the finish line. You cheer the others still running on until everyone finishes.
    Um no I haven't been through it but I spoke to many OTJ and read many forums about the academy and everyone says its a gradual increase.

Even without inside knowledge, let's just think criticallycritically for a second shall we. The running test is 1.5 miles in under 13 min to enter the academy. Do you really think they going to make canindates run 5 miles the first day? If that was the case than the test to enter the academy would be a bit more harder.
    Last edited by knicksh2o; 12-13-2012 at 08:01 PM.
    Test: 2000
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Can someone list all the documents that we will need as far as the background check/investigation/residency proof that we will need upon being called? ... its been posted a few times but i can't seen to find it anywhere

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah.
    You're right. I have no clue what I'm talking about.
    Carry on.
    Good luck.

(Sometimes I wonder why I even bother.)
    Last edited by ffbam24; 12-13-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Forum Member

Say you are average fitness with no prior training. What would you say is the average amount of time sombody needs to prepare for passing the medical and physical tests especially passing the stair test.

Assume you will train full time and put full effort and research into proper training.

Forum Member

Um no I haven't been through it but I spoke to many OTJ and read many forums about the academy and everyone says its a gradual increase.

Even without inside knowledge, let's just think criticallycritically for a second shall we. The running test is 1.5 miles in under 13 min to enter the academy. Do you really think they going to make canindates run 5 miles the first day? If that was the case than the test to enter the academy would be a bit more harder.
    A guy on the job (Bam) tells you something, DON'T ARGUE WITH HIM! He knows, you don't. You could very well be running upwards of 4 miles by week two.

Two ears and one mouth. Learn to listen twice as much as you talk.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    A guy on the job (Bam) tells you something, DON'T ARGUE WITH HIM! He knows, you don't. You could very well be running upwards of 4 miles by week two.

Two ears and one mouth. Learn to listen twice as much as you talk.
    Best advice I got on this subject matter was from a battalion chief.

Run
    Run
    Run
    and when you need to train
    run some more.

Forum Member

Uhmmm I don't know if you know who I am but I am kind of ~'*a big deal*'~ on a number of Internet forums. So like, trust me bro.

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    Say you are average fitness with no prior training. What would you say is the average amount of time sombody needs to prepare for passing the medical and physical tests especially passing the stair test.

Assume you will train full time and put full effort and research into proper training.
    I would say at least 4 months before the CPAT/medical. But that assumes a good amount of training done smartly. Really a lot of variables though. Start training before they call your #.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post

It's going to be different for everyone. The best thing you can do is get out there today, don't wait til tomorrow or the next day. Start doing some workouts and see what your baseline is. Slowly increase it as time goes on and see how your body handles it.

I know people who are just naturally gifted who can sit on the couch for a year, get up and run 3 miles in 24 minutes without breaking a sweat. I'm the exact opposite of that and it took me a long time to get to that. You won't know til you try!
    Last edited by CableGuy516; 12-14-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Grammar policed myself

Forum Member

My old landlord is currently on the OTJ and he said the same that everyone else is saying, do a lot of cardio. He said light weight training but a lot of reps will aid you more that trying to do your max weight.

Also does anyone else deal with plantar fasciitis ? I've been running for years and never had an issue. But before training for the academy I would only do 3 miles, now I'm doing 4-5 miles and running more frequently and it's becoming and issue. I can run through it now but I don't want it to get worse. Does anyone have any tips to overcome it ? Plus those first 3 steps in the morning are a bitch to walk through lol.
    Exam: 2000
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    My old landlord is currently on the OTJ and he said the same that everyone else is saying, do a lot of cardio. He said light weight training but a lot of reps will aid you more that trying to do your max weight.

Also does anyone else deal with plantar fasciitis ? I've been running for years and never had an issue. But before training for the academy I would only do 3 miles, now I'm doing 4-5 miles and running more frequently and it's becoming and issue. I can run through it now but I don't want it to get worse. Does anyone have any tips to overcome it ? Plus those first 3 steps in the morning are a bitch to walk through lol.
    Freeze small water bottles and stand with them under he arches of your feet. Roll hem back and fourth, it'll hurt, but it'll help too. If it keeps up you'll need orthotic inserts for your sneakers. Not dr. Schoals, but something prescribed by a podiatrist.

Forum Member

Does anyone know, if you defer to the next class, if you go through the entire process twice? By process, I mean physical, background, medical etc. I ask because if I'm in the first class off the oc list and it starts before July 1st, I may have to defer, unfortunately.

Forum Member

I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, Crossfit, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, My Mom Died, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, Funeral, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, Crossfit, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, My Town Was Destroyed, Gut Houses, Rebuild, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, Crossfit, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, , Crossfit, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, Waiting for the call. I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running...

In a nutshell
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe smith View Post
    Does anyone know, if you defer to the next class, if you go through the entire process twice? By process, I mean physical, background, medical etc. I ask because if I'm in the first class off the oc list and it starts before July 1st, I may have to defer, unfortunately.
    Did you see what happened to the people that deferred with 6019, they're probably pulling their hair out or have second guessed their decision everyday for the last 4 years. With the controversy around the test i wouldn't chance it. I honestly can't even think of a reason for a person to defer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe smith View Post
    Take it from someone who deferred....DON'T DO IT!

Thread Information