Like Tree10540Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    Say you are average fitness with no prior training. What would you say is the average amount of time sombody needs to prepare for passing the medical and physical tests especially passing the stair test.

Assume you will train full time and put full effort and research into proper training.
    What's average to you? Do you train your legs with squats? People fail or get "jello" legs because they are weak and unconditioned to handle the extra weight.

Start on the stepmill now. 1st day go weighted/heavy. 2nd day go unweighted for longer time(15-20 minutes). 3rd day go weighted/medium. Aim for past 3 minute time or whatever is the allotted time. Remember to do it hands free. Remember to focus on regular and controlled breathing. 4th day you can use for back squats, front squats, calf raises, and light cardio. Eat. Sleep. Repeat, and add time and weight as you progress.

Heavy day, Light day , Medium day, and Assistance day can be applied to almost every aspect of physical training. Heavy and Light can be Mon. Tues. Rest is Wed. Medium is Thurs. Sat. Assistance is Sat. Sun. is rest.

Make you sure you add in some upper body stuff for strength, hypertrophy, endurance, balance, and prehab. The body is a chain, you need to strengthen it whole. Imbalances will cause weakness and overcompensation. Pull more than you push, 2:1 ratio and remember to overhead press.

Again, heavy-light-medium-assistance can be applied to strength training and cardio.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Freeze small water bottles and stand with them under he arches of your feet. Roll hem back and fourth, it'll hurt, but it'll help too. If it keeps up you'll need orthotic inserts for your sneakers. Not dr. Schoals, but something prescribed by a podiatrist.
    Best way is to get a lacrosse or golf ball and to roll out the bottom of your foot as previously said. Do it everyday and it won't be painful anymore as you roll out all the muscle knots. A good advice for anyone who is training is to invest into a foamroller and foam roll everyday. Google and Youtube should have all the info on foam rolling or i can explain more if requested.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 99
    List #: 38xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe smith View Post
    Does anyone know, if you defer to the next class, if you go through the entire process twice? By process, I mean physical, background, medical etc. I ask because if I'm in the first class off the oc list and it starts before July 1st, I may have to defer, unfortunately.
    You may potentially have to redo the medical/cpat, but I'm unsure of how long those are good for. If you pass the medical the first time and 6 months later they want you to do it again it will essentially be another drug test, another run through the stairmaster, and a doc checking up to make sure nothing about your medical history has changed.

If you don't have to repeat them then this is why they have the 1.5 mile run. I've been meaning to mention this here, but I'm pretty sure the run has absolutely nothing to do with checking to see if you are a decent runner, and everything to do with testing your aerobic capacity right before they put you in the academy. They don't want someone who has gotten soft in the months after they finished all of the other requirements, so it's one last step along the way, which can be used to approximate your VO2max: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-ex...px#runwalktest

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    My old landlord is currently on the OTJ and he said the same that everyone else is saying, do a lot of cardio. He said light weight training but a lot of reps will aid you more that trying to do your max weight.

Also does anyone else deal with plantar fasciitis ? I've been running for years and never had an issue. But before training for the academy I would only do 3 miles, now I'm doing 4-5 miles and running more frequently and it's becoming and issue. I can run through it now but I don't want it to get worse. Does anyone have any tips to overcome it ? Plus those first 3 steps in the morning are a bitch to walk through lol.
    Have you tried foam rolling/lacrosse ball it?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bathjHW6wY

Go to a running/endurance specialty store, and have them check your foot, run/walk style, and can outfit with proper running shoes.

Drop the volume down. Take a few steps back to advance forward. Increase volume very minimal, 5-10%.

All else fails see Dr. Foot. Good luck.

edit:Stay away from NSAID's/ibuprofen/vitamin I!!!
    Last edited by mky915; 12-14-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Forum Member

Hey! Great Thread and I've pretty much read through it all, hoping to be called for the June 13' or Jan 14' Class, List # 7XX for the Open Comp. I work out/play sports almost days, so I'm not too concerned with the physical at all. But I've had a few minor charges with were all dismissed, so I heard I should be fine with that, no drugs or violence. Also I've had a few surgeries , no joint related or anything but I do have a minor case of spondylosis, which means one of my vertebrae are slightly out of place but I squat 315+ and DL 325+ and do a lot of flexibility training, so it's clearly not a problem at all. So besides that I'm fairly confident, but what exactly is the Psych part about? I heard rumors about them hooking you up to Lie Detectors but they are accurate about 67% of the time, which is kinda scary if they base it off that?
    Thanks and Goodluck to everyone else!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SnatchBK View Post
    Hey! Great Thread and I've pretty much read through it all, hoping to be called for the June 13' or Jan 14' Class, List # 7XX for the Open Comp. I work out/play sports almost days, so I'm not too concerned with the physical at all. But I've had a few minor charges with were all dismissed, so I heard I should be fine with that, no drugs or violence. Also I've had a few surgeries , no joint related or anything but I do have a minor case of spondylosis, which means one of my vertebrae are slightly out of place but I squat 315+ and DL 325+ and do a lot of flexibility training, so it's clearly not a problem at all. So besides that I'm fairly confident, but what exactly is the Psych part about? I heard rumors about them hooking you up to Lie Detectors but they are accurate about 67% of the time, which is kinda scary if they base it off that?
    Thanks and Goodluck to everyone else!
    There is no polygraph for this job. The psych is all written, it asks the same questions multiple times to look for inconsistencies. If your back does not hurt and has not had or need surgery. Keep that under wraps.
    Exam 2500
    List: 10x
    Medical: Passed
    CPAT: 7:50 Passed
    Candidate run: 9:30
    Class: 1/14/2013?

Forum Member

Doc's aren't sure if it's 1 or 2 yet.. They have me on insulin shots now. Need to go back in 2 weeks so they can pick apart my blood to see how my body's reacting to it and see which type I have.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mky915 View Post
    What's average to you? Do you train your legs with squats? People fail or get "jello" legs because they are weak and unconditioned to handle the extra weight.

Start on the stepmill now. 1st day go weighted/heavy. 2nd day go unweighted for longer time(15-20 minutes). 3rd day go weighted/medium. Aim for past 3 minute time or whatever is the allotted time. Remember to do it hands free. Remember to focus on regular and controlled breathing. 4th day you can use for back squats, front squats, calf raises, and light cardio. Eat. Sleep. Repeat, and add time and weight as you progress.

Heavy day, Light day , Medium day, and Assistance day can be applied to almost every aspect of physical training. Heavy and Light can be Mon. Tues. Rest is Wed. Medium is Thurs. Sat. Assistance is Sat. Sun. is rest.

Make you sure you add in some upper body stuff for strength, hypertrophy, endurance, balance, and prehab. The body is a chain, you need to strengthen it whole. Imbalances will cause weakness and overcompensation. Pull more than you push, 2:1 ratio and remember to overhead press.

Again, heavy-light-medium-assistance can be applied to strength training and cardio.
    You sir sound like some one who reads and knows about strength training
    to other posters, don't run out and try to squat if you haven't already been doing it. It's actually easy to hurt your self if some one hast taught you correctly, 99% of people at the gym do it wrong. I had Ripp teach me and I still hurt my back all the time and and need to find a coach. I can dead lift all day with out hurting myself. Look up Rippetoe's books or videos on youtube for your own training, but for FD the stepmill is safer and more applicable.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, Crossfit, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, My Mom Died, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, Funeral, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, Crossfit, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, My Town Was Destroyed, Gut Houses, Rebuild, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, Crossfit, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, , Crossfit, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, Waiting for the call. I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running, I'm running...

In a nutshell
    I'm confused here. Didn't many people post that too much running is bad and you could get injured?

What is the deal, can this guy be running too much?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    You sir sound like some one who reads and knows about strength training
    to other posters, don't run out and try to squat if you haven't already been doing it. It's actually easy to hurt your self if some one hast taught you correctly, 99% of people at the gym do it wrong. I had Ripp teach me and I still hurt my back all the time and and need to find a coach. I can dead lift all day with out hurting myself. Look up Rippetoe's books or videos on youtube for your own training, but for FD the stepmill is safer and more applicable.
    Thank you but I am still learning. I did rec'ed the stepmill in my original post to the original question.
    I still standby doing squats and their ability to strengthen the muscles, tendons, and ligaments. I love doing stairs work, but it is no substitute. The stronger you are the greater potential in your muscular/power endurance. The biggest misconception is the need to lift heavy all the time or do a 1 rep max to get strong every week. This is false and poor programming. You can get strong with reps and at 70-95% of your max. You can work on your form in the 50% range until you get it right to reinforce correct motor patterns.

Forum Member

Thank you but I am still learning. I did rec'ed the stepmill in my original post to the original question.
    I still standby doing squats and their ability to strengthen the muscles, tendons, and ligaments. I love doing stairs work, but it is no substitute. The stronger you are the greater potential in your muscular/power endurance. The biggest misconception is the need to lift heavy all the time or do a 1 rep max to get strong every week. This is false and poor programming. You can get strong with reps and at 70-95% of your max. You can work on your form in the 50% range until you get it right to reinforce correct motor patterns.
    Yeah I know you reccomended the step mill, I was just talking about my trouble with squats and Anthropometry and back.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Freeze small water bottles and stand with them under he arches of your feet. Roll hem back and fourth, it'll hurt, but it'll help too. If it keeps up you'll need orthotic inserts for your sneakers. Not dr. Schoals, but something prescribed by a podiatrist.
    before you get out of bed stretch, then immediately step into sneakers right out of bed. I was told this by a physical therapist. It hurts so bad in the morning because your body just spent the last 8 hrs healing the damaged tissue, and as soon as you put pressure back on the foot you immediately start re-tearing it. so best advice is stretching, and in the morning put the least amount of pressure on the foot before you gently stretch it out. This helped me a lot, but i am still bothered by it probably because I wont really take enough time off my feet to let it heal as much as it should. Good luck. Frozen water bottles under the foot right after a long run help bigtime.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

Guys who are not powerlifters should really do front squats instead of back squats. Front squats are just superior for people who don't compete in powerlifting. Forces you to stay upright, builds upper back strength, easier on the lower back, much safer and practical. You need good flexibility and technique, which both can always be achieved through foam rolling and stretching and forces you to check your ego so you don't get hurt.
    DannyD0pe likes this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 99
    List #: 38xx

Forum Member

They are different moves with different benefits and drawbacks. The classic squat is the king of lifts, and is ****ing fantastic, but even after doing it for years my form (and my hip flexibility) is far from perfect. Front squats force you to be a lot more honest with yourself because if you have bad form or try to go too heavy you're just plain going to drop the weight, however personally I hate them with a passion because they kill my wrists.

I think anyone looking to start weightlifting should find a friend or a professional that can show you proper form for barbell movements like the squat or deadlift.

Forum Member

May I ask if squatting is really necessary to pass any of the tests?

Do you really need any upper body strength to pass any of the tests?

Forum Member

Squats will help. Upper body is a must.
    Exam 2500

Forum Member

Few things are "necessary" however if you are going to train to get stronger then squats are just about the best thing out there in terms of how many different muscles in your body are used for one movement. If you don't know how I would be wary of starting without someone working with you on form, but other than that they are great.

Forum Member

Am I wrong to think the only tests that are a problem and need extra training for are the 1.5 mile run and the heart rate test?

What other tests do you really need strength training for? I am just wondering so i know how to train properly.

Maybe someone who took the test can actually say if weightlifting really helped anywhere. And if the only important thing to train for is the heart rate test and the 1.5 mile run.

Forum Member

Am I wrong to think the only tests that are a problem and need extra training for are the 1.5 mile run and the heart rate test?

What other tests do you really need strength training for? I am just wondering so i know how to train properly.

Maybe someone who took the test can actually say if weightlifting really helped anywhere. And if the only important thing to train for is the heart rate test and the 1.5 mile run.
    The stronger you are, the less energy expenditure and the easier tasks will be. Remember what you are getting yourself into. You are wearing an extra 50 pounds or more and are expected to perform functions that are very physically demanding for an average duration of 10-20 minutes (or more).

1.5 mile run is just a general test of fitness. I can only give you a personal experience with the stepmill on the CPAT(I have taken it 3 times) and going thru a community college fire academy. I never trained on a stepmill, and I never got 'jello legs' from the 3 minutes on it. All I did was back squats, front squats, deadlifts, clean and jerks, and forward and reverse tire dragging, with some supplementary calf work. Look at it like this, a small step with the vest on represents a very sub-maximal weight and expenditure from those strength lifts. From strength training, my muscles in the body can handle the stress of firefighting tasks better and more efficient, such as stair work. Even for a 1.5 run mile you will notice a difference with strength training. You will develop a higher rate of force and power in your run.

Can you get by without it? Sure. But I really think you are holding yourself back as a firefighter if you are not strength training seriously(along with your conditioning work). I have said this repeatedly, the stronger you are the greater potential your muscular/power endurance will be and the easier tasks will be with respect to your conditioning. For a long and healthy firefighting career, it would be wise to keep the body strong, especially in the back, legs, and shoulders. Maybe Manhattan Medic can chime in on the importance of having a strong back for lifting patients off of a backboard or GS'ing a pt. and putting them onto the gurney(Manhattan Medic, one guy comes from behind the pt. and grabs their wrist in a criss cross fashion and another grabs the legs, what do you guys call it in NYC?). An injury to the back can potentially put you out and unfit for duty. As you get older, your muscles will atrophy.

You really got to experience it for yourself to make a comparison. With the right programming and exercises it will truly benefit you as a firefighter and for your general health. Good luck to you on your journey thru this.
    petrole and frankp88 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thebigempty View Post
    There is no polygraph for this job. The psych is all written, it asks the same questions multiple times to look for inconsistencies. If your back does not hurt and has not had or need surgery. Keep that under wraps.
    Thanks for the quick reply! Okay, that'll help me sleep at night now Lol btw congrats on passing everything so far , is there anything you didn't expect or anything challenging , besides the CPAT, I'm not really worried about the physical part?
    Hope to see you on the other side

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Few things are "necessary" however if you are going to train to get stronger then squats are just about the best thing out there in terms of how many different muscles in your body are used for one movement. If you don't know how I would be wary of starting without someone working with you on form, but other than that they are great.
    Finding someone who really knows what they are doing is hard. Check out squatRx on youtube, should be a series if you found the videos I am talking about. Check out rippetoes book or videos on you tube.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 12-15-2012 at 07:46 PM.
    petrole likes this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I used this from the time I went in for the cpat training right up to the point of the final run and experienced great muscle endurance gains as well as shedded whatever small amount of excess body weight I had right before the academy so I want to put it to use again to build a foundation after my last surgery. I'm in the low thousands so I know I've got at least 6 months before getting the packet again and this program will help be exactly where I need to be when I start the process again. Thanks again and best of luck.

Forum Member

Disregard it was in the List 6019 thread posted by shanahan14. I got the order messed up, so disregard my order.

Myerjack circuit training

This is for matty21 and any1 else who wants to try it.The muscle groups are 1 ABS 2 LOWER BACK 3 CHEST 4 UPPER BACK 5 SHOULDERS 6 BIS 7 TRIS 8 QUADS 9 HAMSTRINGS 10 CALVES

You do 1 exercise for each body part and then w/o rest go directly to the next exercise. Ex.abs to l. back to chest till you get to calves. 1st revolution do 20-25 reps ( only abs and l. back extensions do till failure) This is for muscular endurance

Start with one or two revolutions and work your way to four. If you want muscle mass do 20-25 reps for 12 workout sessions. after 12 sessions, do 20-25 reps 1st time around, 15-20 2nd (more weight or resistance each time), 10-15, and last 6-10 reps ( for the 4th time around. Change up the exercise for each time you go around. ex chest- do flat, inlcine, flyes etc.

Just keep jumping from machine to machine or station to station- it builds endurance and is aerobic training because of the little rest. good luck. If you are not familiar with the equipment get a trainer, don't hurt yourself.

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t97154-72/#post961741 (Fdny List 6019)

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I used this from the time I went in for the cpat training right up to the point of the final run and experienced great muscle endurance gains as well as shedded whatever small amount of excess body weight I had right before the academy so I want to put it to use again to build a foundation after my last surgery. I'm in the low thousands so I know I've got at least 6 months before getting the packet again and this program will help be exactly where I need to be when I start the process again. Thanks again and best of luck.

Forum Member

I apologize for the double post but I'm posting from my phone and I have no clue how to delete a post.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SnatchBK View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply! Okay, that'll help me sleep at night now Lol btw congrats on passing everything so far , is there anything you didn't expect or anything challenging , besides the CPAT, I'm not really worried about the physical part?
    Hope to see you on the other side
    Nothing really surprising. Just keep training.
    Exam 2500

Thread Information