Like Tree9829Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Finding someone who really knows what they are doing is hard. Check out squatRx on youtube, should be a series if you found the videos I am talking about. Check out rippetoes book or videos on you tube.
    Yeah, I totally agree. Squats are a "total body workout" not exactly but it's a great compound movement but I would recommended getting down the form first with someone who's been in the field for a while and knows exactly what you doing. I even got hurt recently squatting 315 and my form is on point but there are so many factors that go into it such as body type(endo, ectro) and how tall you you. I have the worst frame for squats, I'm 6'2 and between and between and ecto and mesomorph, so I'd do some research first or just stick with body weight squats for now and work your way up!
    Goodlucl

Forum Member

This is actually a dilemma I've been facing and I wanted to know if anyone can give their two cents. I have a bit of time until I get called but as soon as I got my # I feel like i began to disregard lifting a bit and became obsessed with running and calisthenics. I definitely feel like I lost some strength in my squats and dead lifts, but my cardio is probably at an all time best. I'm a pretty lean guy by nature (6'3" 190), and I'm often worried that that isn't a good size, and the running will make me even scrawnier. Should I stick with the running and bodyweight work or cut back on it and get back to heavy lifting?
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    This is actually a dilemma I've been facing and I wanted to know if anyone can give their two cents. I have a bit of time until I get called but as soon as I got my # I feel like i began to disregard lifting a bit and became obsessed with running and calisthenics. I definitely feel like I lost some strength in my squats and dead lifts, but my cardio is probably at an all time best. I'm a pretty lean guy by nature (6'3" 190), and I'm often worried that that isn't a good size, and the running will make me even scrawnier. Should I stick with the running and bodyweight work or cut back on it and get back to heavy lifting?
    Muscular endurance is probably more important than pure strength.

Forum Member

This is just my 2 cents as someone with a degree in Phys Ed. I would continue with cardio and lifting. Making sure you're getting enough calories everyday to sustain your weight. Calorie counting is the best way to do it.

Its normal to feel more tired if you're also doing cardio now. Your body is tired and therefore less able to do other activities. (this will lessen with time as your body is more able to remove lactic acid efficiently)

If you tell me your workout schedule/goals maybe there's something that could/should be adjusted. Reps and sets. amount of time between sets. Remember ur not lifting to be a body builder..Functional muscle is the goal

Forum Member

Rumormill: Low 300s made it through the medical. Doesn't leave a lot of room for error in passing the CPAT, background investigation, and run. The run will be on the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th, corresponding with the different platoon days off (2 = B, 3 = C, 5 = A/D). If that's all true then they will have to let us know about the run... very soon.

Now the fun is seeing if this pans out.
    HopefulFF and River6019 like this.

Forum Member

Why don't you run 5/3/1 and you can do both. There is no need to lift more than 95% of your 1RM.
    If you want to get some size, do a 5 x 10/50 reps on your main lifts between 50%-70%. Same with your assistance. You can do 5/3/1 on a twice a week(Mon. and Fri.), and a third day if you want to add in assistance, or any other supplementary work. Conditioning after your lifting or in between Mon. and Fri. No hard conditioning Thur. and Sun.(day before).

If you are going to lift, and run/bodyweight. Keep the calories up and eat and sleep more. Keep it clean.
    Last edited by mky915; 12-18-2012 at 04:32 AM.
    HopefulFF likes this.

Forum Member

This may be a redundant question, I haven't been able to find time to get on here recently, but has anyone from the OC been contacted to begin the process?
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 99
    List: 36XX

It's all heart.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Rumormill: Low 300s made it through the medical. Doesn't leave a lot of room for error in passing the CPAT, background investigation, and run. The run will be on the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th, corresponding with the different platoon days off (2 = B, 3 = C, 5 = A/D). If that's all true then they will have to let us know about the run... very soon.

Now the fun is seeing if this pans out.

isnt the investigation the first thing you have to pass so they dont waste money on the medical?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY2000 View Post
    This may be a redundant question, I haven't been able to find time to get on here recently, but has anyone from the OC been contacted to begin the process?
    Not yet. We should hopefully start receiving packets after the first of the year.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    This is just my 2 cents as someone with a degree in Phys Ed. I would continue with cardio and lifting. Making sure you're getting enough calories everyday to sustain your weight. Calorie counting is the best way to do it.

Its normal to feel more tired if you're also doing cardio now. Your body is tired and therefore less able to do other activities. (this will lessen with time as your body is more able to remove lactic acid efficiently)

If you tell me your workout schedule/goals maybe there's something that could/should be adjusted. Reps and sets. amount of time between sets. Remember ur not lifting to be a body builder..Functional muscle is the goal
    Before I got my # I was pretty consistent with 5x5 workout with the basic compound lifts, adding 5 lbs. every other workout. With this I was running like twice a week maybe, but getting cardio from playing ball and stuff. Now I'm running BEFORE lifting, always doing a pull-up push up type workout after, but cut my heavy lifting back to only twice a week. I wanna go back to 5x5 with the running I'm doing now but the strength gains will be that much harder. Let me know if you have any suggestions. I'm in the low 2000s so I have time to experiment a bit and see what gives the best results.
    Last edited by mocon337; 12-18-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Before I got my # I was pretty consistent with 5x5 workout with the basic compound lifts, adding 5 lbs. every other workout. With this I was running like twice a week maybe, but getting cardio from playing ball and stuff. Now I'm running BEFORE lifting, always doing a pull-up push up type workout after, but cut my heavy lifting back to only twice a week. I wanna go back to 5x5 with the running I'm doing now but the strength gains will be that much harder. Let me know if you have any suggestions. I'm in the low 2000s so I have time to experiment a bit and see what gives the best results.
    5 x 5 is strictly a strength program, it is something that Bill Starr or StrongLifts does not recommend doing in conjunction with running. You are going to stall on this with cardio, mine as well run 5/3/1 and you can do both lifting and running. Or run a 5 x 5 for as long as you can and milk it, then jump on 5/3/1 when you stall on 5 x 5.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by steven9d3 View Post
    isnt the investigation the first thing you have to pass so they dont waste money on the medical?
    It's not something that is done in a day. If you have open court cases or other legal things that need to be documented that can take time, they also send away for official transcripts and what not, they send out letter of recommendation forms, and probably a few other things I either forgot or don't know about.

Also since we were already employees there's kind of an assumption that we will pass the background, so everything has been jumbled/pushed together.

Forum Member

Like someone else stated. the 5x5 workouts are purely strength. and I think we as potential firefighters should be working for better strength-endurance.

Im gonna try my best to break some stuff down to give you a better understanding of how you might want to work out .

Energy levels and recovery: I once had this describe to me. Think of your energy level like a bucket of water. Every time you're doing activity you're taking out cups from that bucket. Depending on how much is left is how much potential maximum you can do. Every hour you rest that bucket slowly refills. Pretty basic but leads into my idea of doing cardio MWF and strength-endurance training TTHS.

Now this goes against a research article i read that stated doing cardio before strength training will lead to more muscular gains. Here is the problem for me and probably you too. This study was people doing cardio at 80% max for less than 20 minutes. Thats not what my cardio workout looks like right now. I'm, and im assuming you are too; pushing yourself to a higher and higher VO2 max, AKA better cardio, faster mile. Whatever easy term to understand.

I suggest alternating cardio days with lifting days 6 days a week and take one day a week off
    (until you reach a cardio state you are happy with. Once you reach that point, do it for 6 weeks straight(at that level, i.i.e.. 3 miles in 20 minutes). If at the end of 6 weeks you still do not feel you want to improve your cardio anymore, i would recommend trying to workout 3x week doing cardio and strength training in the same day)

Here is something interesting that most people do not know. Really a big deal when it comes to working out. Your body can release high amounts of testosterone for 45-60 mins. The more muscle groups you work at any given time the more testosterone you release. So doing a compound exercise workout that is less than an hour is a really good idea. Probably between 8-10 reps is best...This is going to go against what most people believe but I'm just telling it its the truth as I've learned it. Doing 10reps for 3 sets will release more testosterone than doing a 5x5 workout. Assuming you are working in the proper %max

You said you're doing "basic" compound lifts, and pull-up push up type workout.
    Well pull-ups, push ups, dips also compound exercises...Single arm row and so on. Im going to assume you doing squats and chest press and rows and pull ups. LMK WHAT EXACTLY UR DOING. but on body weight workouts like pull-ups and dips. Once you can do 3 sets off 10, start breaking out that weight belt.

If any thing was unclear lmk. Ill re-explain it or re type it up. Im kinda running out the door. Sry
    mocon337 likes this.

Forum Member

Considering enlisting into the military to serve my country. Not just for the extra points for future tests, it's something that genuinely interests me. Does anybody know if or how the reserves affects extra points compared with full time duty with dcas?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYorDIETRYIN View Post
    Considering enlisting into the military to serve my country. Not just for the extra points for future tests, it's something that genuinely interests me. Does anybody know if or how the reserves affects extra points compared with full time duty with dcas?
    Could be wrong but thought I read somewhere that DCAS only gives veterans points to active duty service.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Could be wrong but thought I read somewhere that DCAS only gives veterans points to active duty service.
    My understanding is that you do not have to be Active Duty as opposed to Reserves to qualify for Vet points. The NOE makes no distinction. If one served and is discharged with an Honorable during a time of war (the present day counts as Op Enduring Freedom continues) one should be eligible for the points. That's my understanding, at least.

As for deductions for age - your days in service will be detailed in your service record (DD 214) and different from Active Duty. A Reservist's days of service (applicable to the age threshold) would include all days served in training, monthly/yearly reserve duty, and any deployments but not the total span of time from when they signed up to discharge. This is my understanding, but I'd certainly confirm it all with the military liaison at Metrotech.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYorDIETRYIN View Post
    Genuinely interested are you? How did your meeting with the recruiter go? I suspect that meeting hasnt happened yet, and if it will, hinges on how your question gets answered. Your thinley veiled advertisement of your true priorities is disappointing.

Hey btw, how is your quest for that EMS parking placard working out?
    zachryw2001, ATFDFF and grok350 like this.
    To Persist is to Conquer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mky915 View Post
    Why don't you run 5/3/1 and you can do both. There is no need to lift more than 95% of your 1RM.
    If you want to get some size, do a 5 x 10/50 reps on your main lifts between 50%-70%. Same with your assistance. You can do 5/3/1 on a twice a week(Mon. and Fri.), and a third day if you want to add in assistance, or any other supplementary work. Conditioning after your lifting or in between Mon. and Fri. No hard conditioning Thur. and Sun.(day before).

If you are going to lift, and run/bodyweight. Keep the calories up and eat and sleep more. Keep it clean.
    I am gonna do something like this. I never looked into the specifics of 5/3/1 but would like a heavy day and a higher rep volume day. Just got my squatting down again, starting going with a wider stance and seems to be a better back position. I need to need time in for running.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 12-19-2012 at 12:52 AM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

For the ems guys going through the process that have their 1.5mile runs well below 12, what type of training program did you do to achieve this. I just started tinning my runs around my complex this week which is 6laps(approx 1.7miles) and within the first week I'm down from im down to 13:30. Distance has never been my thing so any tips that did the trick to bring you into the 11s? As i said i just started timing my runs this week and have been following that guide posted a few pages back with the interval/endurance running alternate days

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    For the ems guys going through the process that have their 1.5mile runs well below 12, what type of training program did you do to achieve this. I just started tinning my runs around my complex this week which is 6laps(approx 1.7miles) and within the first week I'm down from im down to 13:30. Distance has never been my thing so any tips that did the trick to bring you into the 11s? As i said i just started timing my runs this week and have been following that guide posted a few pages back with the interval/endurance running alternate days
    A good mix of runs should do the trick, which it sounds like you're following. A slower long run builds endurance while the intervals get you used to running at a pace faster than you're used to.

If you want to go a step further with it, do some sets of body weight exercises with little to no break in between each set. I've seen some pretty solid drops in my times by really pushing myself with squats, lunges, pushups, etc. done at a quick pace. I found its a great way to build cardiovascular endurance without actually running, so it saves your knees/ankles/feet/whatever is bothering you.
    grok350 and Dannypanigale like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    Mix running longer distances (without regard to pace), running shorter distances (1-2 miles) where you work on a certain pace, and throw in stuff to improve your endurance (interval training, crossfit, etc). It took me a while to get decent at running, but what actually sped my pace up was doing the crossfit/interval stuff.

Ran yesterday after 5 days off. Did alright, then had a heavy, awkward carry down last night. My ****ing knees were killing me when I was going home. I could barely walk down the stairs to the ****ing subway. It's really weird that up until sometime in November I was doing fine with this, and now it feels like I'm twice my age. No running for another week.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Mix running longer distances (without regard to pace), running shorter distances (1-2 miles) where you work on a certain pace, and throw in stuff to improve your endurance (interval training, crossfit, etc). It took me a while to get decent at running, but what actually sped my pace up was doing the crossfit/interval stuff.

Ran yesterday after 5 days off. Did alright, then had a heavy, awkward carry down last night. My ****ing knees were killing me when I was going home. I could barely walk down the stairs to the ****ing subway. It's really weird that up until sometime in November I was doing fine with this, and now it feels like I'm twice my age. No running for another week.
    Had the same problem a few weeks back. I couldnt walk down to the subway for the life of me as well. Went to the neighborhood costco and picked up an industrialized size of joint pills. I believe it was glucosomine + MSM(in the senior citizen section lol). 15 bucks for like a 6 month supply and my knees felt better the very next day.

Dont know if we had the same issue as only one of my knees was bothering me but for 15 bucks its worth giving it a shot.

Deff dont run for another week. Rest them.

Quick question: which part of the process can be done on the weekends?
    I know the CPAT classes can be taken on saturdays, but what about the CPAt orientation Background investigation and medical? I started a new job this week and I imagine it would be hard for me to take off weekdays for atleast a little while.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Quick question: which part of the process can be done on the weekends?
    I know the CPAT classes can be taken on saturdays, but what about the CPAt orientation Background investigation and medical? I started a new job this week and I imagine it would be hard for me to take off weekdays for atleast a little while.
    CPAT training is nights/weekends. You get 2 different dates for CPAT orientation at DCAS, so maybe one will be a weekend, but I don't know. Investigation/Psych/Medical are weekdays for sure because they are at HQ. CPAT... they scheduled people pretty much every day so... just suck it up and deal.

Forum Member

If you have a knee problem you gotta ice ice ice it. 20 minutes on, 20 off, at least 2x a day preferably right after you run. My knee was bothering me for a bit and I started doing this, felt 100% better within a few days. Now even if my knee is fine, if I'm relaxing at night I'll throw the ice pack on for 20 minutes anyway. I'd recommend the one linked below, it's pliable and gets crazy cold in the freezer, quickly.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i00
    coldblood92 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    A good mix of runs should do the trick, which it sounds like you're following. A slower long run builds endurance while the intervals get you used to running at a pace faster than you're used to.

If you want to go a step further with it, do some sets of body weight exercises with little to no break in between each set. I've seen some pretty solid drops in my times by really pushing myself with squats, lunges, pushups, etc. done at a quick pace. I found its a great way to build cardiovascular endurance without actually running, so it saves your knees/ankles/feet/whatever is bothering you.
    I'll definitely try the body weight exercises. I really want to get to a point where I'm running 3miles straight without stopping.

Thread Information