Like Tree9539Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Yea. Have gotten all emails up to this point. Someone else said they have buddies in the 700s that got emails. Others say that they sent out 360 emails for 330 spots so maybe i just didnt make the cut. But if that guy says people in the 700s got emails there is no reason for me not to get one. Just gotta wait it out till Monday I guess. For now I'm on suicide watch.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    Yea. Have gotten all emails up to this point. Someone else said they have buddies in the 700s that got emails. Others say that they sent out 360 emails for 330 spots so maybe i just didnt make the cut. But if that guy says people in the 700s got emails there is no reason for me not to get one. Just gotta wait it out till Monday I guess. For now I'm on suicide watch.
    God it's so easy to match up different usernames to the same person when you say the same thing in two different places.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thebigempty View Post
    Got email for run today. Run will be January 2-5. 13 or less to qualify. Offer of appointment letters to be given on completion of run.
    Lets just make that 12 or less....if you're in the 12-13 crowd, they'll coral you into a group, scream at you and mark you with a huge slash across the chest so that everyone will know you're a huge bag of ***** who didn't show up prepared.

If you complain of chest pains or diff. breathing, they're going to make a whole show of it. That means an ALS unit, a BLS unit a Conditions car and......the worst part for you, a CFR-D Engine...you'll never live it down!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Lets just make that 12 or less....if you're in the 12-13 crowd, they'll coral you into a group, scream at you and mark you with a huge slash across the chest so that everyone will know you're a huge bag of ***** who didn't show up prepared.

If you complain of chest pains or diff. breathing, they're going to make a whole show of it. That means an ALS unit, a BLS unit a Conditions car and......the worst part for you, a CFR-D Engine...you'll never live it down!
    I'm sure the one engine in The Bronx that gets all CFR runs on Randall's will be very pleased by this! A first look at their future probies!

I'm in the safely under 12 crowd, or was. Did it today in 15, which of course is a travesty, but no pain afterwards so that's still an improvement in my book.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    God it's so easy to match up different usernames to the same person when you say the same thing in two different places.
    Thanks for making that observation Newton.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just my 2 cents.

Hey guys. I'm on the job and went through the same motions some of you are going through now with the testing and preparations for the academy. I check in here once in a blue moon to see what kind of chatter is going on because when I was in your shoes I found the FH forum to be a valuable resource and I still recommend it to anyone I meet who took the test and has questions about what to expect.

At the time, when I received my application packet and started to seriously train for the academy I was mostly running (I would say about 3 miles every other day) and using my home gym, focusing on basic exercise like push-ups, sit ups and dips. I felt confident I was doing the right thing. After about 3 months, I went for my medical and took the stair machine heart rate test and failed. I was definitely surprised and angry at myself for thinking I was prepared. Luckily, they give you another chance to test and I was given a date for about 4-5 weeks later. I was now on a mission. My plan involved more running and, this is IMPORTANT, using a heart rate monitor when I ran. Aiming for around 85% of my max heart rate, I was running every other day and got my mileage up to about 7 miles, which took me about an hour, not including warming up and stretching, then cooling down and stretching again. I found that the heart rate monitor kept me at a pace (higher OR lower) where I wanted to be. I now swear by it and tell people that if you are spending time to do cardio exercise, you mine as well do it at the right level. I did not really change up what I was doing as far as sit ups, dips and push-ups, just maybe adding some shoulder and upper body exercises. As you might have figured out, I did this routine for about 4-5 weeks and passed the stair test! I still continued this regimen after passing the medical to be ready for "the run" and then the academy. In the end, I passed everything and was in the academy 2 months later.

That was the facts, here is my opinion. I was definitely ready for the 1.5 mile run and the runs during PT in the academy. After all that running, (and stressing) I ended up losing about 20 pounds during my "training" and actually gained weight during the academy. By the way, 1 1/2 miles under 12 minutes should NOT be a challenge, again just my opinion. I felt I should have done more pull ups and more weight training. Not heavy weight but light weight and high reps, which is what you do in the academy. I just didn't feel bulked up enough.

If you have access to a stair machine, then use that tool to train specifically for the stair test. Get a weighted vest and a heart rate monitor and you'll know exactly where you stand. I don't know the exact numbers for the weighted vest or the test, but you can find them somewhere on the forum. If you're good on the stairs and worried about the run, then do some running, but not as much as I did. My focus was making my heart more efficient and my tool was to run, which I also happen to like doing. You don't need to kill yourself running to pass the 1.5 mile run or to run during the academy, but obviously you have to be prepared to run 3-5 miles during PT on a regular basis without straggling behind. Also, I don't believe you can squeeze months of cardio training into a few weeks by doing high mileage. You will just hurt yourself. Slowly build up your mileage to an acceptable distance, maybe 3-5 miles. Again, use a heart rate monitor. I also want to mention the importance of having a decent running sneaker, both for training and the academy. You don't want to injure yourself with the wrong shoes. Trust me, it's possible. Also, running sneakers don't last forever so toss those keds from high school and spend a little money on a decent sneaker. If you get shin splints (or any other frequent pain) from running, I'd recommend going to an actual running store to speak with someone.

Now, I'll give my little disclaimer that this is only my opinion and what worked for me. It might work for you, it might not. Everyone on here and everyone getting ready for the academy is different: size, weight, age, past injuries, current fitness level, desire to be a NYC firefighter. You will realize this.

One last thing, no matter what you think or what people tell you, in order to succeed you must strive to be the best, that is the smartest, fastest and strongest.

Good luck! Feel free to message me with any questions.

Forum Member

Thanks for the words of wisdom, dotherightthing. I personally have trouble pacing myself while running, and will try wearing the heart rate monitor while I run to see if that helps.

Forum Member

dotherightthing,

That was an awesome post, thank you! Thanks for taking your time to come help us hopefuls just like bam, southbx, and nev have done.

You suggest doing some work with weights, specifically low weight and high reps. Could you give some recommendations on the types of exercise that are done in the academy with this approach? I'm thinking along the lines of shoulder press, curls, lat raises... anything like that? I have loaded my workouts with push ups, dips, sit ups and leg work so I think I'm on the right track, but I just recently started working with 10 lb dumbbells so any suggestions would be awesome.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    dotherightthing,

That was an awesome post, thank you! Thanks for taking your time to come help us hopefuls just like bam, southbx, and nev have done.

You suggest doing some work with weights, specifically low weight and high reps. Could you give some recommendations on the types of exercise that are done in the academy with this approach? I'm thinking along the lines of shoulder press, curls, lat raises... anything like that? I have loaded my workouts with push ups, dips, sit ups and leg work so I think I'm on the right track, but I just recently started working with 10 lb dumbbells so any suggestions would be awesome.
    CableGuy, you are on the right track. I suggest adding pull-ups to your workouts. I also think 10 lb dumbbells are the way to go. I don't want to mention any specific workouts from the academy for a few reasons. First, the last academy was 4 1/2 years ago so the instructors may have totally redesigned the PT. I don't want to speak on their behalf about what to exactly expect during PT. I will say that for me, it was low weight, just like the 10 lbs you are using, high rep exercises. The focus is on strengthening your core. Also, remember that the physical part of the academy is not just during PT, as you will be moving a charged handline, carrying and raising ladders, climbing stairs, etc. I think this is no surprise to anyone. I also don't want to get into too many specifics about the academy because I do feel it is sacred. I am not too comfortable talking about it in such a public forum like this. It might sound weird and that I am making up my own rules, but hey, that's me. Send me a private message, which I just turned on. I apologize if you tried to message me earlier and couldn't.

Forum Member

Thanks for making that observation Newton.
    I'd call you a jerk but... Well... Not sure it would change much.

In all seriousness I am hoping for your sake it was just a fluke or screw up. After months of rumors about us being short it would be a real kick in the balls for those at the bottom of the list to find out there's actually more than enough and you aren't getting reached.

Re: dotherightthing: great post, lotta info I'd incorporate into training if I was just getting started or didnt have just 3 weeks till go time.

Forum Member

Looks like the July class will be at least half EMS promos. I know there is 145 without the 2 years and maybe 50 to 100 ready to go right now but lists numbers were not reached for January including myself. I'll be sweating it out with you guys come summer.

Forum Member

Looks like the July class will be at least half EMS promos. I know there is 145 without the 2 years and maybe 50 to 100 ready to go right now but lists numbers were not reached for January including myself. I'll be sweating it out with you guys come summer.
    Awww well... At least you'll still get there, plenty of people would still kill to be in the second class.

Forum Member

Awww well... At least you'll still get there, plenty of people would still kill to be in the second class.
    ...and the third and fourth and fifth and the one 4 years from now.....
    sffdnyhopeful09 and BKLYNBOY like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    ...and the third and fourth and fifth and the one 4 years from now.....
    I know I know my sentiment was what I said before. The rumor mill BS did a good job perpetuating the notion that they'd exhaust the list just to get to 300 this time around, and it turns out that was all a load of ****. It's gotta be annoying for anyone at the end of the list who got their hopes up for this class and now has to wait, especially with friends and coworkers leaving while they're stuck waiting. In the grand scheme of things it's a minor problem but I know I'd be pretty upset if it were me.

Forum Member

to be sure I am understanding this correctly: the promo list has 150 people who passed all other phases and will have their 2 yrs completed by june/july 2013?

Forum Member

To everyone going for the run next week and entering the class in three, good luck fellas. You all earned the first spot with your service to the city, in my opinion. Looking forward to hearing your stories.

To anyone just missing the first class, take solace in knowing those guys and gals will be freezing their asses off at the Rock and you all (and me, hopefully!) get to enjoy the balmy summer/autumn days at Club Rock. I'm sure they'll be serving margaritas poolside at the end of the day.

To everyone on the forum, regardless of when your number is up, have a nice holiday. Forward progress after years of BS is something to be thankful for.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

This is horrible news for anyone with an OC list number in upper hundreds. Not only will we miss the summer class but now we might miss the one after that depending on what happens with the priority hires.
    Oh well. Our time will come soon.

Good luck to everyone running next week. Please share any info you have for us.
    Last edited by knicksh2o; 12-24-2012 at 01:29 PM.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    to be sure I am understanding this correctly: the promo list has 150 people who passed all other phases and will have their 2 yrs completed by june/july 2013?
    Yeah, roughly.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    This is horrible news for anyone with an OC list number in upper hundreds. Not only will we miss the summer class but now we might miss the one after that depending on what happens with the priority hires.
    Oh well. Our time will come soon.

Good luck to everyone running next week. Please share any info you have for us.
    You have no idea how many of those 150 who don't have the 2 years yet will have their 2 years by the summer. You have no idea how many people will pass the 1.5 mile runs. You have no idea how many people they will need to go through to get X amount of qualified candidates off the OC list. You have no idea how the priority hires are going to be spread out over the next four years. Try not to worry about the things you can not control!

I'm excited for the next few months. I'm not going to get a packet but I'm eager to see what the ratio is for canvassed candidates to qualified candidates. Every class they put in is 1 class closer to the rest of us. Try to enjoy yourself in the meantime!

Forum Member

Yeah, roughly.
    even being conservative, if you say the promo list got 400 guys in to the academy that's a pretty damn good representation.

Forum Member

Best of luck to those who have the honor of making it to the run (not that you'll need it). And enjoy your Christmas everyone...

http://imgur.com/zSCEu.jpg
    River6019 and mocon337 like this.

Forum Member

Thanks for the heart rate formula. Happy holidays to all. Hopefully our biggest holiday wishes will all come true. If your wishes are the same as mine , which I assume they are, then we all will see each other on the job at some point.

Forum Member

As its been said before.. Good luck to everyone who is going to the run.. And for those on the cusp, keep training.. Your time is close. Either way, have a merry, safe, and healthy Christmas.

Forum Member

Hello everyone. First, happy holidays to all. Second, the good luck to those running in the next following weeks, and hope everything goes well for you. Third, I've been following this forum for some time. I just wanted to know my chances of getting in any time soon? That way I don't have to put my hopes up high for next year.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 97
    List: 86XX

MembersZone Subscriber

Merry Christmas everyone!!
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Thread Information