Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 1020 FirstFirst ... 14212223242526273474124524 ... LastLast
Like Tree7739Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Got an e-mail from the FDNY this afternoon. I should receive my Admission Notice by 01/27 telling me when and where I'll be taking the exam.

Forum Member

Got the same email. Here's hoping.

Forum Member

Got the email too, but no mention of the release of the study guide tomorrow.

Guess we will have to wait and see.

I feel like a little kid awaiting Christmas haha

MembersZone Subscriber

got the email

now fingers crossed for the study guide

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Yeah that's kind of old news at this point I guess. Long story short, if you're under 21 and went to a NYC highschool, you can get 5 points for that. However the residency points are still there for anyone else (although the criteria is different this time around). And you can't get both high school and residency credits. It's one or the other.
    Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it.

Forum Member

The FDNY website states, "The test will evaluate basic abilities, such as Reading, Listening, Problem Solving, Basic Arithmetic and related areas. It also will assess the way candidates approach work, interact with others, and concentrate on details."

What the hell? "Listening"? Does anyone have any idea what that'll be like?
    Also, "approach work, interact with others..." Fu*k. That sounds like the questions they had on the last exam. Goddamnit.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

MembersZone Subscriber

"The CBT will not test your computer skills or ability to use a computer. You will have the
    opportunity to take a computer‐based tutorial so that you are familiar with computerbased
    testing and the various question types. You are strongly encouraged to view the
    tutorial, which will be available here by January 11, 2012. Information about how to
    access the tutorial also will be provided with the Admission Notice that should be
    received by January 27, 2012
    ."

Does the bold part seem a little off? We can access the tutorial on the 11th but the information on how to access it isn't available til the 27th.

Forum Member

Zach- What website was that quote from? I don't remember seeing anything about the 27th on there. Thanks for the heads up.

Not sure if this has been posted here already, but from the rumors going around our test may be a lot like the LAFD and LACoFD. Here is the test prep for LACoFD.
    http://www.fire.lacounty.gov/helpwan...dy%20Guide.pdf

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    Zach- What website was that quote from? I don't remember seeing anything about the 27th on there. Thanks for the heads up.
    Its from DCAS link for the firefighter tutorial.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/home/home.shtml (this is their home page scroll down to the 'Firefighter Test Tutorial'

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloa...t_tutorial.pdf

Forum Member

you people are shot out about this test.. maybe 4% of the people that will end up on this list will actually get a job.. stop stressing about it, take the test and hope for the best.. no use of worrying about a "listening" section.. if you're that concerned sign up for one of the prep tests in staten i or brooklyn.. as far as the admissions date when you get it, you get it.. good luck to all.. stay safe to you vollie buffs and other heroes out there.. LOL

MembersZone Subscriber

so the tutorial is here

link to the using cbt
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/em...utorials.shtml

link to the actual tutorial
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/em...utorials.shtml

good luck to everyone

Forum Member

Test seems pretty generic/civil service-ish...doesn't seem like it will be that bad.

Forum Member

Yeah, seems extremely simple, which worries me. How many thousand people are going to ace this test? The whole idea of the social security number lottery as the tie breaker is scary.

Forum Member

I'm leaning more towards the likelihood of the following headline: "FDNY does not hire again, computers deamed discriminatory."

Forum Member

Yeah, seems extremely simple, which worries me. How many thousand people are going to ace this test? The whole idea of the social security number lottery as the tie breaker is scary.
    Social security number lottery? did I miss something?

And in all honesty...if 61,000 people sign up..40,000ish will test..

of those 40,000ish who test, about 30,000 will pass or fall into a competitive score range(before extra points) 85-95

of those 30,000 about 20 will actually achieve a score that will make them hireable (90-100) before extra credit

of those 20,000...about 18,000 will have extra credit added to their score to the point where it will actually help them (get a score between 95 and 105 and up).

you get the idea..once it is all said and done after the CPAT is complete about 15,000 give or take will be eligible..then you have to factor in the background investigations, the medical, the psych (not saying I'll pass everything or be in the running to get hired), but firefighter exam processes are demanding, physically, mentally, and emotionally..people will be weeded out.

Forum Member

Does anyone know how the tie breaker works? The lower your ss number the higher on the list? or vice versa?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kd44 View Post
    Does anyone know how the tie breaker works? The lower your ss number the higher on the list? or vice versa?
    I did some digging and found this on another site-I always thought they went with the last four digits but this says differently. The important part is at the end.

"Simply put, the department in charge of overseeing the civil service hiring process at any level of government and in any territory within New York State may employ any system for the purpose of breaking tie scores and assigning list numbers, provided that the means are fair and impartial. To to tie this all together, below is the exact means by which DCAS uses to break tie scores and issue distinct list numbers, as set forth in the Rules of the City of New York, under Title 55, Department of Citywide Administrative Services, in Appendix A: Personnel Rules and Regulations of the City Of New York*, RULE IV—EXAMINATION PROCEDURES, VETERANS PREFERENCE, ELIGIBLE LISTS AND CERTIFICATION, SECTION IV—ADMINISTRATION AND RATING
    OF EXAMINATIONS

4.4.11. Candidates With Same Final Examination Rating.

Whenever two or more candidates in an examination receive the same final examination ratings, their respective place on the resulting eligible list shall be determined for administrative reasons only by a sequence of the number derived from the last five and then the first four positions of their social security numbers."
    Last edited by dkjets75; 01-11-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Forum Member

"only by a sequence of the number derived from the last five and then the first four positions of their social security numbers." "

What does that mean? they switch the placement of the last 5 & first 4 of your social? as in 123-45-6789 is now 56789-1234 and that determines your placement?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    "only by a sequence of the number derived from the last five and then the first four positions of their social security numbers." "

What does that mean? they switch the placement of the last 5 & first 4 of your social? as in 123-45-6789 is now 56789-1234 and that determines your placement?
    Im trying to figure the same thing out bro, it makes absolutely no sense. I don't understand why they can't use a more merit based system to determine a tie breaker. Doesnt surprise me at all that DCAS would create the most illogical system for a pretty simple task.

Do we have any wannabe lawyers on here that can translate for us?

Forum Member

hey guys, got an e-mail much like everyone else saying i should be getting an admission notice by the 27th, but anyone actually get the admission notice yet?

also, just checked out the online tutorial...seems very, very straightforward, however i don't want to underestimate the exam itself...if the questions on the exam are anything like the questions in the tutorial we should be expecting lots of 100's

the strongly agree/disagree questions is what is concerning to me though...through experience i've noticed that the strongly agree/disagree answers carry more weight, especially on job applications...i would assume this would hold true for this exam? any insights?

Thread Information