Like Tree9544Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

I haven't heard about a math part. What type of math are they looking at? I'm assuming nothing too complex.

MembersZone Subscriber

For those of you that are preparing for the 2012 New York Fire exam, go to the link below to review our 325 question exam prep. The focus of our exam prep is, the Background Information Survey Exam. Our Background Information Survey examination contains over 125 questions.

With each question, we provide you with suggested answers and explanations that put you in the mindset of what the examiners are looking for in top-scoring applicants. This section of your exam we will be the key to you scoring in the top percentile of the exam. Good Luck !!

http://www.fireprep.com/new_york_fir...examinati.html

Assistant Chief Brent Collins, Cleveland Fire Dept.
    Firehouse.com Entry Level Contributor Author since 2002
    www.fireprep.com
    1-800-989-FIRE

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I haven't heard about a math part. What type of math are they looking at? I'm assuming nothing too complex.
    Guys on the job who had taken practice exams in the past few months said there was a lot of high school level math (square roots, exponents, adding and subtracting fractions, stuff like that). However, nothing like that appears on the tutorials so maybe they dropped it. I certainly don't want to add to the speculation, just repeating what I heard from guys who took the practice exams. Will be interesting to hear back from the guys taking the exam on St. Paddy's to see if anything like that shows up.

Forum Member

I got my notice a few days ago, 12pm on St. Paddy's in Studio Square. I see a lot of you guys have it at 4, anyone have it at noon?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    Guys on the job who had taken practice exams in the past few months said there was a lot of high school level math (square roots, exponents, adding and subtracting fractions, stuff like that). However, nothing like that appears on the tutorials so maybe they dropped it. I certainly don't want to add to the speculation, just repeating what I heard from guys who took the practice exams. Will be interesting to hear back from the guys taking the exam on St. Paddy's to see if anything like that shows up.
    The exponents and square roots, did they say how advanced it was ? Will it be simple stuff like whats the square root of 9 or will they have like figure out the square root of 1057 and or add the square roots of two numbers ? And same with exponent stuff. I need to know how much I should study into it because I haven't done this stuff in almost 10 years.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    It could be annoying to find a spot over there at times. My exam is at 12:00 on a monday and they say get there a half an hour before so I'll leave at 10:00am to give myself time to find a spot. If I happen to find something quickly I'll go grab a bite to eat before the exam. Odds are you won't a spot too close though, you're going to most likely be a few blocks away. But it's Astoria, so walk around and check out all the good looking women over there during walk to the beer garden lol.
    Thanks for the response Tom. Unfortunately I think most of the good looking women will be asleep at 8:30am when I have my test, lol. Would you happen to know how the parking is in the morning? I'm hoping that if I get there around 7:30 I'll be able to get a spot before everyone starts parking in their usual spots for their 9-5 job.

Forum Member

The exponents and square roots, did they say how advanced it was ? Will it be simple stuff like whats the square root of 9 or will they have like figure out the square root of 1057 and or add the square roots of two numbers ? And same with exponent stuff. I need to know how much I should study into it because I haven't done this stuff in almost 10 years.
    What I was told was that it was a little more advanced - adding square roots of numbers, for example - but again, these were just sample questions while the city was creating the exams we'll all take. They might very well have decided to skip all of that. Nothing like that shows up on the tutorial. To be on the safe side, I'm going to buy an SAT practice guide and make sure I brush up on all of that math just to be safe.

Forum Member

I took the last fire fighter test and they had no difficult math questions or even any math questions that I can remember. I would be very surprised if they had any math questions. To be honest, I hope they do, because I can easily learn that stuff while most people probably wouldn't. This would give me a higher score.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Irish6019 View Post
    Don't speculate. This is a terrible idea and will never happen. You only lower the value of this thread posting crap like this. Most of you I don't think know the value that this thread holds..
    I'm just pointing this out because I took the last fire department test and could not see how it was biased in any way shape or form. I also basically scored 100% on all non-psychology type questions on the test without any turturial or any test preperation.

The only way they can make a test that is not "biased" in my opinion is if they use some sort of lottery.

This honestly ****es me off, but I can almost guarantee it will be the case.

If you can tell me how they can make a test that will not be "biased" and not use a lottery, then please tell me how.

Forum Member

If they decide to use this lottery system then what would be the point in having extra points for being a Veteran or living in the city or even legacy? If someone could explain to me how the lottery system would work that would be great. For instance as long as you passed the exam you have the ability to be hired?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    I'm just pointing this out because I took the last fire department test and could not see how it was biased in any way shape or form. I also basically scored 100% on all non-psychology type questions on the test without any turturial or any test preperation.

The only way they can make a test that is not "biased" in my opinion is if they use some sort of lottery.

This honestly ****es me off, but I can almost guarantee it will be the case.
    No you can't, stop throwing information out there like it's already a fact. Who knows, maybe all sides agreed the math isn't bias because it's something that should have been learned in high school. We all have heard different rumors about this exam but stop throwing BS out there like its already absolute fact. It doesn't help anyone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    Thanks for the response Tom. Unfortunately I think most of the good looking women will be asleep at 8:30am when I have my test, lol. Would you happen to know how the parking is in the morning? I'm hoping that if I get there around 7:30 I'll be able to get a spot before everyone starts parking in their usual spots for their 9-5 job.
    To be honest it's hard to say because I've never been over there in the morning.

Forum Member

From Merit Matters...

Wednesday, February 1, 2012
    The Vulcan/CCR Lawsuit Looks Very Much Like a WIN-WIN for the Bloomberg Administratio

You have to wonder...I mean despite all their over-the-top rhetoric equating Michael Bloomberg to George Wallace, their lawsuit is giving the Bloomberg administration the biggest two-pronged economic boom it could ever have wished for!

The hiring freeze makes the closing of Fire Companies a virtual certainty due to the increasing under-staffing, while the skyrocketing overtime numbers will, no doubt be used to fuel the coming hard push for “serious and drastic pension reform.”

What of their charge that “It’s the Bloomberg Administration’s fault for fighting the Vulcan Society to begin with”?

What of it?!

The fact is that they deliberately locked the Bloomberg administration into that fight by charging the current Mayor with “deliberate discrimination,” a laughable charge given that non-Latino blacks are the most OVER-represented ethnic group in the New York City workforce (23% of NYC’s population and 36% of its Municipal workforce).

Without that one single charge, it’s doubtful the Bloomberg administration would’ve ever been in court. After all, their fight, unlike Merit Matters isn’t about standards, it’s about clearing the administration’s name from that scurrilous charge.

But that bridge has been crossed, those die have been cast, we are where we are and there’s no way to avoid giving this administration more than enough ammunition and justification for significant firehouse closings and serious, if not draconian pension reforms.

Some have speculated that the FDNY’s under-staffing will only be extended and exacerbated by the coming “new exam" (Exam #2000), which initial reports claim requires disciplined note taking and sound reasoning skills. If that’s true, speculation is that it will render a far LESS diverse result than did Exam 6019 (a/k/a “the opinion survey”).

If that speculation turns out to be even remotely true, then the under-staffing will almost certainly extend out possibly for another 3 to 5 years.

Should that happen, attrition will almost certainly make it impossible for the FDNY to staff its existing compliment of firehouses around the city, virtually assuring a significant number of closings.

Before that happens, the skyrocketing overtime in the field will boost the pensions of retiring members to unprecedented levels, fueling the cry for massive and systemic pension reform.

Already a public, in which defined benefits pensions are almost nonexistent, is supportive of major pension reform by something like 70% to 30%!

Whether anything the Vulcan Society does attracts more minorities to the ranks of the FDNY, it will almost certainly change this job – reducing the number of firehouses (and jobs) and decreasing the compensation for all future workers (via the coming pension reforms).

Those are two very good reasons the Bloomberg Administration should, at the least, put the Vulcan Society and the CCR on its Christmas card list!

JMK

Forum Member

I took the last test too, and you know what? I got hired and you didn't. I did better than you. Stop speculating!

You have no idea how much bull**** I read on here and I think to myself how much you guys hurt yourselves. How many of you have read the 6019 thread from beginning to end? How many have read the thread before that? Understand the process, what's happened and don't spew "information". Talk about what you're going through, what you've done. Anything relevant.. stay on topic, help each other out. Ask people like me questions.
    Last edited by Irish6019; 02-02-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    To be honest, I hope they do, because I can easily learn that stuff while most people probably wouldn't. This would give me a higher score.

*notes helpful math lesson*

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Ok if that's so then please explain in vivid details what happens after you pass the written and physical exams? Like what's involved in the medical? What could disqualify you from the hiring process?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    Ok if that's so then please explain in vivid details what happens after you pass the written and physical exams? Like what's involved in the medical? What could disqualify you from the hiring process?
    Passing the written isn't your concern. You need to score perfectly.. If you don't plan on making this your goal, stay home.

The cpat isn't anything to worry about. If it's the same format, two "practices" then the actual test, but if you pass a "practice" it's good enough.. I finished with minutes to spare. If you can't pass the cpat, you would have been kicked off the rock the first week anyway.

The medical is jsut a thorough physical. Tests your heart, lung function, eyes, ears, heartrate* blood, everything. I starred heart rate, bc this is the second thing you can control in the process so far. While the medical as a whole is vital to pass the first time through, hear rate is the only thing you can really control. Be in shape. I took medicals with guys who didn't pass the first time around, and you know what? They aren't fireman now. Don't rock the boat so to speak..

In terms of what could disqualify you? Exactly what you think... Bad lungs, heart issues(they ekg you) blood issues, eyes(i think its 20/40? don't take my word on this) ears, depression, drinking too much, drugs. It's yours to fail.

Forum Member

Deleted post
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 02-10-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Forum Member

Honestly, at this point, there is no reason to focus any energy on anything but this written test. Focus one step at a time. It helps immensely in this overly long process..

Forum Member

Anyone have any ideas when we apply for the residency credits ? I've heard of a few cases in past exams where guys weren't sure when to apply for their residency credits and they ended up getting screwed out of those 5 extra points.

Also Irish6019, have you heard anything about the potential math on the upcoming exam ? Someone said they've heard from firefighters that have tested the exam that math such as adding/subtracting square roots, adding/subtracting fractions, and exponents will be on this upcoming exam. Since yesterday I've been working on math I haven't done in 10 years lol.
    Last edited by TomFromQueens; 02-02-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Forum Member

Anyone have any ideas when we apply for the residency credits ? I've heard of a few cases in past exams where guys weren't sure when to apply for their residency credits and they ended up getting screwed out of those 5 extra points.

Also Irish6019, have you heard anything about the potential math on the upcoming exam ? Someone said they've heard from firefighters that have tested the exam that math such as adding/subtracting square roots, adding/subtracting fractions, and exponents will be on this upcoming exam. Since yesterday I've been working on math I haven't done in 10 years lol.
    I doubt they will have that on the test. That sounds more like an intro to algebra. I don't think they will go passed fractions or decimals. Remember dcas mentioned BASIC arithmetic. I don't think they will put something that takes them more than a minute to two minutes to solve. But the residency credit is a good question. I think it's the day of the test but don't know if it's before or after the exam.
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 02-02-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Forum Member

My question is does anyone know when dcas are going to have tutorial sessions and the dates we are able to attend?

MembersZone Subscriber

Irish,
    Thank you.

SirEd, STFU.
    When did you become the expert on how our department will hire?
    Stop your speculation, which in turn freaks everyone else out here, because you have no information to back it up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Irish,
    Thank you.

SirEd, STFU.
    When did you become the expert on how our department will hire?
    Stop your speculation, which in turn freaks everyone else out here, because you have no information to back it up.
    Well said..thank you...like I said before they determine tie breakers based on the last 5 digits of ur ssn combined with the first 4...it's on the dcas website if anyone has doubts

What arrogance on his part to assume the city will use a lottery...not that it's fair to utilize that tie breaking procedure in the first place but how else can you do it?

On a different note..did anyone sign up for the 2 session 4 hour cram course starting fen 26th?

Forum Member

Another question..i may be looking a bit ahead but let's say I get called for the physical exam will I get disqualified if my vision in my right eye is 20/35? I have been debating on LASIK surgery...just a bit concerned about the cost...has anyone on here had the procedure done?

Thread Information