Like Tree11270Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    You're correct. According to the document 745 claimants are eligible. Meaning they will have a pool of 745 people of which to choose from to eventually get the 293. How they go about choosing them is beyond me.
    Ok so the number is still 293 possibly being hired (the big # is just the pool of eligibles)?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Ok so the number is still 293 possibly being hired (the big # is just the pool of eligibles)?
    Correct. Even if by some chance more than 293 pass all the phases, the city only has to hire 293 of them. Which btw, there is also an exact breakdown of how many must be black and how many must be Hispanic.

Forum Member

Remember these priority hires will be coming on the job with over 10 years. I would suspect most will work for a day and vest out. And I doubt they could get 293 out of 750.
    Exam 2500
    List: 10x
    Medical: Passed
    CPAT: 7:50 Passed
    Candidate run: 9:30
    Class: 1/14/2013?

Forum Member

If this is the case I would suspect the June/July class to be the remainder of EMS and at least the start of the priority hires.
    Exam 2500

Forum Member

Correct. Even if by some chance more than 293 pass all the phases, the city only has to hire 293 of them. Which btw, there is also an exact breakdown of how many must be black and how many must be Hispanic.
    At least this looks like a real transparent process......

Forum Member

I almost fainted....again.

Forum Member

I'm laughing at this now, why we should all b organized against this tyranny.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    I'm laughing at this now, why we should all b organized against this tyranny.
    I honestly think its better to just let it take its course, rather than risk another 4 years with no hiring. 293 in the grand scheme of things is nothing.
    Exam 2500

Forum Member

The second circuit court of appeals still has to rule on this which I imagine will be soon. If they don't overturn the decision entirely they might at least send the case back for a real trail with an unbiased judge (as they seemed to indicate back in the summer). We can play the numbers game with these clowns all day and speculate on when they might trickle in but if even one person is hired over someone else based on the color of their skin, there should be massive outrage. Not a single one of those "priority hires" deserves this job.

You don't counteract perceived racism with more racism.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thebigempty View Post
    I honestly think its better to just let it take its course, rather than risk another 4 years with no hiring. 293 in the grand scheme of things is nothing.
    I couldn't disagree with you more. That 293 would be a very big deal in the grand scheme of things because depending on unqualified individuals to pull you out of a burning building let alone show up to work on time is dangerous. On top of that 293 QUALIFIED people getting bumped off the list down the road for these people and not getting their dream jobs just because they might be white, Asian, or Indian is an incredible injustice. Finally letting 293 slide through like this sets a precedent for future cases, so its 293 this time and next time it could be a 1000.
    vekdoggs75 and DJ_Reverse like this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    I couldn't disagree with you more. That 293 would be a very big deal in the grand scheme of things because depending on unqualified individuals to pull you out of a burning building let alone show up to work on time is dangerous. On top of that 293 QUALIFIED people getting bumped off the list down the road for these people and not getting their dream jobs just because they might be white, Asian, or Indian is an incredible injustice. Finally letting 293 slide through like this sets a precedent for future cases, so its 293 this time and next time it could be a 1000.
    Completely agree with what you said, but lets not forget that these priority hires are also going to affect blacks and Hispanics on 2000 and not just whites and asians. Its an atrocious injustice for all.
    vekdoggs75 and River6019 like this.

Forum Member

This has been discussed before but I can't find the answer. Were all previous lists before 6019 created after the physical? Where as 2000 was listed before the physical, because the Physical does not count towards a score?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    This has been discussed before but I can't find the answer. Were all previous lists before 6019 created after the physical? Where as 2000 was listed before the physical, because the Physical does not count towards a score?
    Yes. The physical and written were weighed 50/50. In the physical, each event was timed, if you failed to finish an event in the allotted time you would lose points.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BKLYNBOY View Post
    Dam you hope your fellow EMS people fail thats pretty messed up. I dont wish that upon anybody!!
    Yes. If you show up to the run and are not prepared you should fail. Slipping through the cracks and being let into the academy after medical "part B" only 2 fail out or quit 2 weeks later when I could have had that spot is ****ty. Of course anyone who deserves it will get the spot. More power to them! But when i'm back on my street corner in a POS ambulance heading out in the middle of a nor'easter to pick up a 24 year old with the common cold and I hear about guys leaving 2 weeks into it I am going to be upset. Obviously my crappy list number is no ones fault but my own but when I say I hope guys fail so that I can get my chance I mean it. Those who deserve to fail next week will, and I pray to jewgod that I get a call.
    Last edited by JerkAlert; 12-27-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    6019Victim likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thebigempty View Post
    That is not a good attitude to have, "you have to want this job" is what firefighter David Abreu told us once during a Army commercial, but the meaning of have to want is the notion that you will go out and get it on your own merrit. This idea well I don't want to ruffle any feathers or "I've got mine" going into the academy defeats the purpose of what that very same academy is trying to accomplish. Letting this fall by thr wayside could endanger you're life in the future if someone unfit or unmotivated for the job gets on. You truly do have to want this and without work but handout, defeats that very same tone of that commercial.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    Yes. If you show up to the run and are not prepared you should fail. Slipping through the cracks and being let into the academy after medical "part B" only 2 fail out or quit 2 weeks later when I could have had that spot is ****ty. Of course anyone who deserves it will get the spot. More power to them! But when i'm back on my street corner in a POS ambulance heading out in the middle of a nor'easter to pick up a 24 year old with the common cold and I hear about guys leaving 2 weeks into it I am going to be upset. Obviously my crappy list number is no ones fault but my own but when I say I hope guys fail so that I can get my chance I mean it. Those who deserve to fail next week will, and I pray to jewgod that I get a call.

appropriate username is appropriate.

lol I'm just busting balls.
    JerkAlert likes this.

Forum Member

*sigh* Not really looking forward to starting up college classes again while what is looking like what might be an even longer wait now. Hopefully there are at least a couple of girls there who have had their hearts set on meeting a disgruntled, jaded wannabe firefighter...
    JerkAlert, mocon337 and mannyjay like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    You need 35 people to fail or defer right? That's not impossible.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    *sigh* Not really looking forward to starting up college classes again while what is looking like what might be an even longer wait now. Hopefully there are at least a couple of girls there who have had their hearts set on meeting a disgruntled, jaded wannabe firefighter...
    Dude you're set. I always had the best luck with women when showing them my jaded and cynical side. Luck would have it that working EMS refined those lovely traits.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    You need 35 people to fail or defer right? That's not impossible.
    MM not even. Im like 10 guys out right now....from the info that I have gathered at least. And the final numbers on emails that went out is only 320. If they want to put in 320 Jan14th my chances are looking ok. They are anticipating second round of runs Jan 7-11. They can call me at 3:00 a.m. day of, and tell me the run is 13 miles. I'll be ready! Fingers crossed but not getting my hopes up anymore. Did that the past 4 months when my mom was fighting cancer and it didn't work out so I'm kinda over getting my hopes up.

Good luck brother. Please keep me informed on how many guys keel over and cough up blood the day of your run. Thanks.
    Last edited by JerkAlert; 12-27-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Well, that's not an unhire-able number, but if they reach you, it'll be sometime in late 2015 or 2016.

On a separate note, someone mentioned an explanation of grooming standards in the letter. I'd like to know how that read, can someone please enlighten me.
    Damn. So I guess chances of me getting in is slim to none. Smh. Thanks for the response though. I guess I need to think of some other career for now.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 97
    List: 86XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Dude you're set. I always had the best luck with women when showing them my jaded and cynical side. Luck would have it that working EMS refined those lovely traits.

What's the coolest FDNY apparel that I should wear? Also, do you think it is too early for a dept themed forearm tattoo? It's not too early right?
    sffdnyhopeful09 and River6019 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    What's the coolest FDNY apparel that I should wear? Also, do you think it is too early for a dept themed forearm tattoo? It's not too early right?

I know someone who would tell girls "I'm going to be a cop" when at the time all he had done was pass the written exam. He went on to fail out of the NYPD academy, but, the "going to be a cop" thing actually worked on women.
    mocon337 likes this.

Forum Member

Duly noted lol...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I know someone who would tell girls "I'm going to be a cop" when at the time all he had done was pass the written exam. He went on to fail out of the NYPD academy, but, the "going to be a cop" thing actually worked on women.
    Reminds me of this kid I overheard at the NCPD exam a couple weeks ago while waiting in line. He told another guy on the line that he was NYPD. When the guy asked him where he worked, the kid replied "well I just went to the cadet orientation, I should have my medical pretty soon." It was so hard to contain the laughter
    HopefulFF likes this.

Thread Information