Like Tree9870Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    One would have to assume the city would use rank order on 2000, (and fill in with the priority hires as needed) not race order.
    I have to agree with this assumption.

I'm done with EMS, and it feels really weird. I have a great sense of loss after all the memories accumulated over the last year and a half in the same spot with the same people.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Yes, that might be a good idea. I'm certainly not going to do it though, doesn't affect me at all. Just a curious party.
    Yeah, I kinda figured. I threw it out there in hopes someone on the OC list would call since I can't call while at work, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I am almost certain that they do not "establish" the list until they are ready to hire from it. Even the announcement from The Chief only said the list was "made public":

The Department of Citywide Administrative Services made public a 40,864-name list for Firefighter on Oct. 3, 2012. The list is based on Exam 2000, which was held from March 17 to April 20, 2012.
    Readers should note that this roster has not yet been officially established for use and that once established, the eligible list changes over its four-year life as candidates are added, removed, reinstated, or rescored.
    I just called the DCAS automated line to see if they would give any more info than this. Unfortunately it doesn't. It states the list was made public on October 3rd just like The Chief. The amount of eligibles has actually gone up to 40,906 but my list # hasn't changed. Either way, no mention of when the list expires. When I check for other NYC lists I'm on, they all state the same thing with the "made public on" language and none of them mention list was "established on." Perhaps someone can call DCAS during normal biz hours to inquire?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    Perhaps someone can call DCAS during normal biz hours to inquire?
    You'll have better luck if you just hit your head with a hammer repeatedly.

Forum Member

Not sure if anyone mentioned this or even if it's true, but I heard from relatives that the guy from rockaway that died surfing on vacation was EMS promo? I heard from a Sandy victim that he was helping people while paddling them out with his surf board during sandy.
    I heard his dad was a rockaway FF. Sorry to hear.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    One would have to assume the city would use rank order on 2000, (and fill in with the priority hires as needed) not race order.

Ya, I agree.

You'll have better luck if you just hit your head with a hammer repeatedly.
    and if you actually do speak to someone, you'll wish you stuck with the hammer.
    CableGuy516 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this or even if it's true, but I heard from relatives that the guy from rockaway that died surfing on vacation was EMS promo? I heard from a Sandy victim that he was helping people while paddling them out with his surf board during sandy.
    I heard his dad was a rockaway FF. Sorry to hear.
    I have no clue, but I doubt it. The news stories would mention his employment with FDNY EMS if that was the case, instead they are only using the term lifeguard.

Forum Member

Okay, no rumors here....reality. Those assigned to PFS have worked their last tours in the field as of today. They are now off line and prepping the curriculum for the Jan. 14th academy.

Enjoy your New Years, it's the last time you'll be completely free for a while. Get ready to work, but be excited for it!

.....make sure you have working clippers and good bic razor!
    HopefulFF likes this.

Forum Member

What's the best kind of underwear for the academy? Boxers? Briefs? Boxerbriefs?

...commando?

Forum Member

What's the best kind of underwear for the academy? Boxers? Briefs? Boxerbriefs?

...commando?
    I know you're joking but I would go with boxer briefs.. Maybe some type of athletic under armour type that won't ride up. And from prior experience if there is as much running as people say, I'd suggest spandex bike shorts... ESP if you have bigger thighs like me. Don't need to be chafed walking around like a cowboy...

Cocoa butter/ moisturizing skin cream if chafage occurs..
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I know you're joking but I would go with boxer briefs.. Maybe some type of athletic under armour type that won't ride up. And from prior experience if there is as much running as people say, I'd suggest spandex bike shorts... ESP if you have bigger thighs like me. Don't need to be chafed walking around like a cowboy...

Cocoa butter/ moisturizing skin cream if chafage occurs..
    I'm only half joking. I held back on suggesting a thong.

Forum Member

I'm only half joking. I held back on suggesting a thong.
    Make sure it's red. Just in case you get whale tail.

4379 won't come quick enough.

Hope you guys aren't getting buried with too much snow.

MembersZone Subscriber

No need to change your type of skivvies IMO. But having a couple extra handy isn't bad.
    Would have to scour the 2043 and/or 6019 threads to find posts that give a good list of what to bring.

Offhand though:
    Socks
    Skivvies
    Gold Bond powder
    DEODORANT
    Duct tape
    Sharpie
    Pen(s)
    Wipes
    Body Glide (Arm & Hammer makes a similar product that I like better too)
    Last edited by ffbam24; 12-29-2012 at 07:39 PM.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

Duct tape?

MembersZone Subscriber

Did I stutter?

Forum Member

To add a few things to Bams list:

A good sized water bottle
    Band aids
    Advil

Did they tell you you need a $9 money order? Bring two, you'll be an all star when someone forgets one. Karma goes a long way.
    ffbam24 and coldblood92 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    To add a few things to Bams list:

A good sized water bottle
    Band aids
    Advil

Did they tell you you need a $9 money order? Bring two, you'll be an all star when someone forgets one. Karma goes a long way.
    Wondering... what is the money order for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Did I stutter?
    No, not at all. I mean if I get told to being a turducken then I will no questions asked.. But I was trying to make sense of it.. And duct tape is the only thing that doesn't fit in. Unless to put your name on your helmet.

Forum Member

Good luck to those entering. I can relay my experience from going thru a college academy and I hope it helps out in anyway (I cant delete if it offends anyone as I am not FDNY)

It's not about you now. This is about Brotherhood. You are your Brother's Keeper. Take care of each other, help each other, and stick together and everything will be fine. Listen and shut your mouth, you have no opinion. Yes Sir, No Sir. You messed up, no excuses, Sorry Sir won't happen again. Learn from it and perfect your weakness. Double time. Something needs to be done, step up and take the initiative. Take pride in everything you do, even the mundane such as cleaning up or wiping down the sink after washing your hands from the restroom. Do it the right way, which is not always the easiest way. Encourage each other, and support each other, whether it is PT, doing a drill, or helping a brother studying for a quiz/exam. Get to know your fellow brothers. If by the end you can't talk and speak a little about your fellow brothers, wth is wrong with you? NO IGM (I Got Mines) or Blue Falcons.
    Set the example. Attitude is everything, be positive, and be determined. You think Instructors don't notice but they do, again attitude! It is a privilege to be there. Remind yourself of the FDNY firefighters and other firefighters from around the world,who have come before you, who some have paid the ultimate sacrifice. They are looking down at you, make them proud. Do not go out on the weekends, study, eat, sleep, and repeat. Dig deep, you may be pushed to your limit, whether it is in a drill, PT, an exam, or getting up at 4am when the alarm goes off. Dig deep and find your inner and true strength. I hope you guys fall in love with the job, what an honor it is to serve and help people. It's will always be about Brotherhood and helping people. Period. Be humble. Humble in your speech and great in your actions. Get into the job, now and forever...Dunn, Brannigan, Fredericks, Brennan, Mittendorf, McCormack. Don't you ever put down a Brother, if he has a weakness, help him become strong in that area, you have your weakness, too. The instructors are not their to be your friends/buddies. Respect the dividing line. Bring an extra something, some guy may forget and that some guy may be you. Everyday at the academy is the greatest day. Take care of each other and you will be just fine!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Duct tape?
    If I had to guess this would be (at least partially) for your helmet and tail flap. Have you ever seen photos of probies in class? They just write their name on duct tape and put it on their helmet/tail.

I got smart wool socks for Christmas and I think I'm going to buy a bunch more for the academy, they're great.

MembersZone Subscriber

You will be told what to bring. The important part is paying close attention. The instructions are not difficult, but you do have to follow them 100%. I am also reminded of a great quote:

"Theirs not to reason why,
    Theirs but to do and die"

In other words, don't get caught up in asking why, just do it.
    ffbam24 and sffdnyhopeful09 like this.

Forum Member

If you found socks you're comfortable with, that you can get on with damp feet, go for it. What worked for me was modells; they sell Wilson socks that work out to a dollar a pair, the quality is good, and you won't feel bad about wearing them out, which will happen no matter which brand you go with.

For the ems guys, you get a discount there too. Can't remember if it's 10 or 15%, but show your work ID, and you'll get the break.

Also the bunker boots youll be issued in the academy are thoroughly used, and you will spend a lot of time in them. Getting a good set of insoles for them is a good idea.
    ffbam24 likes this.
    To Persist is to Conquer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sports Authority too. Not sure if the discount is only available in the city stores though.

Re: Duct tape.
    MM hit it. You'll go through a lot. Bunker gear, helmets, etc.

You'll get a list of what to bring. We're just throwing out the extras that will help.

Don't worry about what the money order is for; just bring it.
    Be the guy that brings an extra one. Don't be the guy that didn't bring it.
    That and an extra pen or two.

You'd think there were adults coming onto this job, but every class has those that don't bring the minimum of what is required.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    Also the bunker boots youll be issued in the academy are thoroughly used, and you will spend a lot of time in them. Getting a good set of insoles for them is a good idea.
    Are the boots leather or rubber?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manny.B View Post
    Hello everyone. First, happy holidays to all. Second, the good luck to those running in the next following weeks, and hope everything goes well for you. Third, I've been following this forum for some time. I just wanted to know my chances of getting in any time soon? That way I don't have to put my hopes up high for next year.
    I'm in the same boat as you manny... We have years to go... Everyone agree?
    Exam: 2000
    Grade: 97
    List#: 86##
    There is hope!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skeetz111 View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you manny... We have years to go... Everyone agree?
    You should be preparing for the possibility of taking the next test. ~8600 is their best guess, not a promise.

Thread Information