Like Tree11242Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    To add a few things to Bams list:
    Bring two, you'll be an all star when someone forgets one. Karma goes a long way.

The best of the 3 As....but you can go from the good to the bad quickly. Better to be the middle A. lol
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Are the boots leather or rubber?
    You will be issued used leather boots and a pair of new rubber boots. The rubber boots are yours, the leather boots you will return. When you are issued bunker gear before graduation, you will also be issued new leather boots.

The rubber boots suck. The leather boots are worn as *****. It is what it is.

Forum Member

You will be issued used leather boots and a pair of new rubber boots. The rubber boots are yours, the leather boots you will return. When you are issued bunker gear before graduation, you will also be issued new leather boots.

The rubber boots suck. The leather boots are worn as *****. It is what it is.
    I have nightmares of trying to climb a ladder and doing a leg lock in rubber boots.. It is what it is though.. New, used, rubber, leather, salad bowl could care. Less just give me the job.
    sffdnyhopeful09 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I have nightmares of trying to climb a ladder and doing a leg lock in rubber boots.. It is what it is though.. New, used, rubber, leather, salad bowl could care. Less just give me the job.
    This is an appropriate response. I honestly expected to be bītched out for asking, but I tend to agree with you. Rubbers suck, but it's only temporary.

Forum Member

This is an appropriate response. I honestly expected to be bītched out for asking, but I tend to agree with you. Rubbers suck, but it's only temporary.

Okay, well, since you've given away the fact that you know more than you should......here's some free advice:

Don't tell anyone you're a Volly. Pretend you know nothing. You really shouldn't be volunteering, at least not on probation. Take any photos or info off your Facebook page if they have to do with being a Volly. The instructors at the rock will break your balls big time. Believe me, I watched it happen. Being a volunteer really won't help much anyway, this is a whole new ball game.
    ffbam24, SkylinePCG and BKLYNBOY like this.

Forum Member

Okay, well, since you've given away the fact that you know more than you should......here's some free advice:

Don't tell anyone you're a Volly. Pretend you know nothing. You really shouldn't be volunteering, at least not on probation. Take any photos or info off your Facebook page if they have to do with being a Volly. The instructors at the rock will break your balls big time. Believe me, I watched it happen. Being a volunteer really won't help much anyway, this is a whole new ball game.
    I didn't know that the DIs looked at facebook. I was in the hiring for another big city dept and they had a VERY strict social media policy. no photos, no mention of where you work, etc.

Speaking of which, does FDNY have a social media policy? I mean just food for thought/discussion.

I understand that FDNY does things their way, and I will delete any/everything I've ever learned and learn it your guys' way. I rarely talk about my military experience if asked, I deffinately won't be talking about any volunteer experience to guys who have seen more fire in the last year then I've seen in my life.

Happy new years Guys!! stay safe and don't drink and drive. Don't need a DUI or public intoxication now.

Forum Member

Just some motivation for those of us a little bit further down the list..I watch this at least a few times a week..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8CFeQKL3pM
    coldblood92 likes this.

Forum Member

Just some motivation for those of us a little bit further down the list..I watch this at least a few times a week..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8CFeQKL3pM
    Watched this a million times and it still gets me tingly inside. Than after the sensation goes away I get real hungry lol
    BigGriffC12 and mocon337 like this.
    Fdny Exam 2000
    List # 3***

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emtnyc2012 View Post
    Watched this a million times and it still gets me tingly inside. Than after the sensation goes away I get real hungry lol
    I had a real hard time finding a job after I left the army...I was waiting forever and a day for FDNY to test and I'd watch this and it would keep me sane, keep me focused. Now that it is so close, I watch anything FDNY on you tube or where ever. I want to consume everything I can..I love it. I get butterflies whenever I get a chance to go into the city and get to see a fire truck, and I still haven't developed the balls to go into a firehouse and talk to anyone lol.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's Amateur Night tonight.
    Don't frak it up. Especially those of you who have the run in less than 2 days now.

Good luck.
    Be safe.
    Hang tough.
    FDsouthbxNY and BKLYNBOY like this.

Forum Member

I had a real hard time finding a job after I left the army...I was waiting forever and a day for FDNY to test and I'd watch this and it would keep me sane, keep me focused. Now that it is so close, I watch anything FDNY on you tube or where ever. I want to consume everything I can..I love it. I get butterflies whenever I get a chance to go into the city and get to see a fire truck, and I still haven't developed the balls to go into a firehouse and talk to anyone lol.
    First of all thanks for your service!!!

I know exactly what you mean haha, I watch all the brotherhood videos...videos of recent job, just to soak it all in.

As for going to houses, just go bring some cakes though lol. I try to buy house shirts but they neva have any. The guys are nice though I always appreciate any kind of conversation with some one active on the job.
    Fdny Exam 2000
    List # 3***

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Wink

Don't worry your time will come and I'm sure you'll make your city/family members proud!!!
    Thank you for your services, without people like you our country would be turned chit. I wish you and everyone else a safe and happy new year!!! Stay safe and don't drink and drive because everythIng you have done up to this point will turn to crap. As far as vIdeos goes, I purchased the 9/11 vid and I always reflect on that day because I ended up cutting school and ended up runnIng for my life that ****ed up day, so did my sister inlaw who was pregnant with my niece. May all of your new year wishes come true and once again, you guys going into the academy these weeks coming up don't forget about us guys further down the list. Any tips you guys will provide for us will be important and informative. Good luck and may god bless you all, all of you have earned this up to this point and I know you will make this city proud.
    I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emtnyc2012 View Post
    First of all thanks for your service!!!

I know exactly what you mean haha, I watch all the brotherhood videos...videos of recent job, just to soak it all in.

As for going to houses, just go bring some cakes though lol. I try to buy house shirts but they neva have any. The guys are nice though I always appreciate any kind of conversation with some one active on the job.
    I love the squad 252 ones.. I pray to god if I make it I end up somewhere with a Norton. I watch the whole series pretty much whenever I have a day off and my wife is working. Never gets old.
    mocon337 and emtnyc2012 like this.

Forum Member

1. I'm a former volley
    2. Great point in general. I already know better than to open my big fat mouth in real life. It's going to be interesting to see how many of my coworkers have trouble accepting the paradigm shift though.
    3. 24 hours till I hit the run!
    6019Victim likes this.

Forum Member

I hope everyone had a safe and DWI free NYE. 13 days to go for some of you. If you're in shape, don't over do it and hurt yourself. Take the next couple of weeks to stretch out and rest. If you're not in shape.....well, you'll be waiting for June.

You're headed for an amazing time. It's going to be horrible and there will be days that you'll leave and think about not returning....but you'll laugh harder than you ever have in your life! Push each other and get through as a unit. You should be thinking "Unit" in everything you do while at The Rock.

Remember, "A" for anonymous.
    ffbam24, HopefulFF and BKLYNBOY like this.

Forum Member

good luck on the run gentlemen. Just remember its only for about 11 min you have to bust your ***. hope to see you in soon
    HopefulFF and BKLYNBOY like this.

Forum Member

Did they start sending out packets for the June 2013 open competitive class?

When does the jan 2013 class begin?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    Did they start sending out packets for the June 2013 open competitive class?

When does the jan 2013 class begin?
    Nope no packets were sent as of yet. And the Jan class begins on the 14th.

Good luck with the run to the ladies and gents who are lucky enough to be having it. Adrenaline alone will carry your *** 1.5 miles in under 12 so put your head down and run.
    Happy new years to everyone! May 2013 bring us all joy, happiness, and a FDNY patch.

Hey MM, how are your knees?
    HopefulFF likes this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

My list # is in the mid 3000's. if they hire 300 every 5 months from the open comp exam 2000 starting in June I think I would get in by sept 2014 the earliest. Nothing is for sure though and i cant count on them even reaching my list number because nothing is guaranteed. just look at what happened with the last exam.

I should of been hired years ago from exam # 6019 after i completed all the hiring steps but we all know how that turned out.

Good luck to everyone that is getting hired this month and to all the hopefuls on open competitive exam 2000....especially those that should of been hired from exam 6019
    Last edited by FDNY4Life; 04-13-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Forum Member

good luck to the guys going for the run in the next few days. 1.5M away, must be an awesome feeling.

Forum Member

Cool

First post here,

I've been a lurker here for quite a bit reading and learning from you guys who are also in the same struggle as I am. I wanted to come in and say thanks for all the supportive information you guys provided and hope everyone had a safe holiday season! Also good luck to everyone going through the CPAT / Academy right now.

One day I'll be in the same position as you guys I can't wait!!!

Much Respect

HJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Hey MM, how are your knees?
    All better. Seems like I had a combination of problems stemming from having old worn out shoes (replaced by new pair of the same model), combined with some tight calves/shin splints. Rest, stretches, and exercises for the ankle/shin stabilizers seems to have done the trick.

Went out for one final practice run today. I normally would have RunKeeper tell me my pace every minute or 2, but didn't bother today because I just got home from 3 days of **** eating and binge drinking, so I was expecting a less than stellar performance. Didn't even feel like that great of a run... and I did it in ~11:30.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

edit: All you guys watching, waiting, and wondering if others on the OC have started the process shouldn't bother asking here. I know it's tough to sit around and wait, but there are multiple guys here in the top 300 on the OC. If they mail a packet out to even one person, they will mail them out to the top several hundred, and someone will immediately post on here about it jumping for joy. Be patient. Not to mention it's only the first. If they are going to start processing you guys they aren't going to till they're done putting in the Fire and EMT classes both starting on the 14th.
    Last edited by Manhattan Medic; 01-01-2013 at 07:56 PM.
    knicksh2o likes this.

Forum Member

Run is done. It's official, and now that I've gotten my first taste of academy life I understand why everyone OTJ likes to keep it close to the chest. I look forward to the next 5 months of hell, and that's all I'm going to say about that.

Also this is a few pages old, but I recently got smart wool socks (yay adult christmas presents!) and they're amazing. I think I'm going to invest in another 4 pairs and use them exclusively in the academy. A friend that has backpacked extensively for long periods of time had this to say about the advantages of wool socks:

"Now is also a good time to briefly discuss clothing materials. The first thing to know along those lines is that cotton ****ing sucks -- it's an absorbent non insulating material. The absorbent part isn't bad (that means its comfortable) but the big problem is that it dries really slowly. Wet cotton socks stay wet forever and feel like bunched up bull**** on your feet. Wool, on the other hand, oh let me sing the praises of wool. Wool is naturally antimicrobial (doesn't stink), naturally wicks moisture away from your feet, and retains its shape and feel and even insulative properties well when wet. But, I hear you cry out, WOOL IS SO HOT!!! This is absolutely false, you think wool is hot because the wool you find at home is half a centimeter thick. Thin wool is as cool as thin cotton but has all the other benefits I listed before, yet when you layer it it does a great job of insulating (not true for cotton) making it serve two purposes. Wool is the best. Wool is also, however, somewhat scratchy (how much so varies by the type / finish of the wool) so often times your best cotton substitute is a synthetic. Synthetics aren't as absorbent (they feel plasticky to varying degrees) but offer even better durability and moisture wicking than wool."

And about smartwool brand socks specifically: "These are the only socks you could wear twice in a row in SE Asia and not have to cut them off your feet on day three, they're machine washable, and I have pairs in my dresser that I've been using on heavy rotation for almost five years now. At 15 or so bucks a pair they're also very expensive, but they are quite literally the best. Get lightweight ones (hiking or casual doesn't matter, just wear two pairs if cold) and get them in black (allows them to double as formal wear). These socks are the only socks I wear now and of all the products I've listed in this post they're the ones I believe in most strongly."

Forum Member

Run is done. It's official, and now that I've gotten my first taste of academy life I understand why everyone OTJ likes to keep it close to the chest. I look forward to the next 5 months of hell, and that's all I'm going to say about that.

Also this is a few pages old, but I recently got smart wool socks (yay adult christmas presents!) and they're amazing. I think I'm going to invest in another 4 pairs and use them exclusively in the academy. A friend that has backpacked extensively for long periods of time had this to say about the advantages of wool socks:

"Now is also a good time to briefly discuss clothing materials. The first thing to know along those lines is that cotton ****ing sucks -- it's an absorbent non insulating material. The absorbent part isn't bad (that means its comfortable) but the big problem is that it dries really slowly. Wet cotton socks stay wet forever and feel like bunched up bull**** on your feet. Wool, on the other hand, oh let me sing the praises of wool. Wool is naturally antimicrobial (doesn't stink), naturally wicks moisture away from your feet, and retains its shape and feel and even insulative properties well when wet. But, I hear you cry out, WOOL IS SO HOT!!! This is absolutely false, you think wool is hot because the wool you find at home is half a centimeter thick. Thin wool is as cool as thin cotton but has all the other benefits I listed before, yet when you layer it it does a great job of insulating (not true for cotton) making it serve two purposes. Wool is the best. Wool is also, however, somewhat scratchy (how much so varies by the type / finish of the wool) so often times your best cotton substitute is a synthetic. Synthetics aren't as absorbent (they feel plasticky to varying degrees) but offer even better durability and moisture wicking than wool."

And about smartwool brand socks specifically: "These are the only socks you could wear twice in a row in SE Asia and not have to cut them off your feet on day three, they're machine washable, and I have pairs in my dresser that I've been using on heavy rotation for almost five years now. At 15 or so bucks a pair they're also very expensive, but they are quite literally the best. Get lightweight ones (hiking or casual doesn't matter, just wear two pairs if cold) and get them in black (allows them to double as formal wear). These socks are the only socks I wear now and of all the products I've listed in this post they're the ones I believe in most strongly."
    Way to go brother! congrats. You are inches away from living the dream of dreams. hydrate!

Forum Member

Congrats man

Thread Information