Like Tree9855Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    No. The official Facebook account has repeatedly said the 2 tests are only going to occur at the same time. Reminder: EMS does not exist simply to fill the ranks of Fire.
    Just to add to that the ems promo is not as easy as you think, Any little minor infraction working ems can mess you up I know alot of guys who are not getting in over attendance, pt care violation, complaints, open bits cases etc even if you didn't do it or say it if its a open case your not going nowhere. If you just do ems to get to fire its going to suck big time and probably wont work out to well for you.
    01-13

Forum Member

Just a quick note....

MM is doing the right thing here. For anyone who goes through the process, please share some utilitarian info, but do not post a blow by blow account of what goes on behind those gates. Everyone needs to experience it for themselves AND anyone who's never going there doesn't need to know. Loose Lips Sink Ships.

Also, I'd wear a suit on day one. We always did in the past.

Forum Member

From The Chief Insider Jan. 4th Issue pg. 6 & 7:

Nov. 29—With the Fire Department preparing to hire another 300 Firefighters, including the first group to come from the open-competitive 2012 list for the job, Judge Nicholas Garaufis states that he has been informed by the Vulcan Society that those Firefighters would be classified under Tier 6 of the pension system, putting them at a distinct disadvantage compared to those who came on the job prior to 2007, when he ruled that the 1999 and 2002 tests for Firefighter had been discriminatory.
    Pension Justice
    “You can’t have people coming off a list that’s meant to remedy long-standing discrimination yet getting an inferior pension to the people who came before them,” he declares, asking Justice Department lawyers to examine the deal under which Governor Cuomo got state legislators to agree to Tier 6 in return for being able to control their district lines for another decade, wth an eye toward possible civil-rights violations on several levels.

This sets off a tumultuous uproar in the Governor’s Mansion. “Can you imagine how it’s going to look if they find I made a redistricting deal that discriminates against minority voters in order to get pension changes that give second-class status to a city workforce that is becoming increasingly minority?” one of the state’s best-known Democrats is overheard bellowing in a closed-door staff meeting. “One of us is going to have to bend over and kiss our presidential hopes goodbye.”

Dec. 28—After weeks of negotiation between the parties, Judge Garaufis announces in open court that a deal has been reached repealing both Tier 5 and Tier 6 of the pension system and placing city and state workers from all job titles in the pension tiers that they would have been assigned to had they come into the workforce prior to his ruling against the previous Firefighter exams. Rupert Murdoch Tweets, “It’s the end of the world as we know it.”

No Time for Master Al
    City lawyers protest that the state lacked the legal standing to negotiate the deal signed off on by the judge, and that they will take the case to the U.S. Supreme Court if necessary.
    Judge Garaufis, aware that Mr. Bloomberg will be leaving office in four days, responds, “Good luck with that.”

The Judge does, however, reject a request by the Vulcans that he appoint the Reverend Al Sharpton as the Special Master to assure compliance with the required changes in the pension system while being paid on the same fee schedule he had approved for Mr. Cohen.
    “You’ve gotta set standards somewhere,” Mr. Garaufis explains.
    Happy New Year.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    It's Amateur Night tonight.
    Don't frak it up. Especially those of you who have the run in less than 2 days now.

Good luck.
    Be safe.
    Hang tough.
    What do you mean by amateur night tonight
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    What do you mean by amateur night tonight
    New Year's Eve.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by joeybatts View Post

Nov. 29—With the Fire Department preparing to hire another 300 Firefighters, including the first group to come from the open-competitive 2012 list for the job, Judge Nicholas Garaufis states that he has been informed by the Vulcan Society that those Firefighters would be classified under Tier 6 of the pension system, putting them at a distinct disadvantage compared to those who came on the job prior to 2007, when he ruled that the 1999 and 2002 tests for Firefighter had been discriminatory.
    Pension Justice
    “You can’t have people coming off a list that’s meant to remedy long-standing discrimination yet getting an inferior pension to the people who came before them,” he declares, asking Justice Department lawyers to examine the deal under which Governor Cuomo got state legislators to agree to Tier 6 in return for being able to control their district lines for another decade, wth an eye toward possible civil-rights violations on several levels.

This sets off a tumultuous uproar in the Governor’s Mansion. “Can you imagine how it’s going to look if they find I made a redistricting deal that discriminates against minority voters in order to get pension changes that give second-class status to a city workforce that is becoming increasingly minority?” one of the state’s best-known Democrats is overheard bellowing in a closed-door staff meeting. “One of us is going to have to bend over and kiss our presidential hopes goodbye.”

Dec. 28—After weeks of negotiation between the parties, Judge Garaufis announces in open court that a deal has been reached repealing both Tier 5 and Tier 6 of the pension system and placing city and state workers from all job titles in the pension tiers that they would have been assigned to had they come into the workforce prior to his ruling against the previous Firefighter exams. Rupert Murdoch Tweets, “It’s the end of the world as we know it.”

No Time for Master Al
    City lawyers protest that the state lacked the legal standing to negotiate the deal signed off on by the judge, and that they will take the case to the U.S. Supreme Court if necessary.
    Judge Garaufis, aware that Mr. Bloomberg will be leaving office in four days, responds, “Good luck with that.”

The Judge does, however, reject a request by the Vulcans that he appoint the Reverend Al Sharpton as the Special Master to assure compliance with the required changes in the pension system while being paid on the same fee schedule he had approved for Mr. Cohen.
    “You’ve gotta set standards somewhere,” Mr. Garaufis explains.
    Happy New Year.
    This is potentially huge news. Am I reading this correctly? We are back to 20 years & OT counting towards retirement?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    This is potentially huge news. Am I reading this correctly? We are back to 20 years & OT counting towards retirement?
    Whatever that article is, its obviously a "not so very funny to us" satirical piece that is trying to show whats to come if all this nonsense continues.

joeybatts, where exactly did you find that?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    Whatever that article is, its obviously a "not so very funny to us" satirical piece that is trying to show whats to come if all this nonsense continues.

I should have known better when Al Sharpton was involved. I'll see myself out....
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...jpg?1240934151
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

I'd argue if I could....this is what I get for ignoring work & checking the forum.
    vekdoggs75 and River6019 like this.

Forum Member

Forum Member

For the 2007 exam they gave free 3 month memberships to candidates whose list # was reached to begin processing. Have they done this with the candidates from the 2012 exam that are being hired on january 14th?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    For the 2007 exam they gave free 3 month memberships to candidates whose list # was reached to begin processing. Have they done this with the candidates from the 2012 exam that are being hired on january 14th?
    Not free, but they did get NYSC to agree to give discount memberships. Don't remember what the rates were, but it was certainly a bargain compared to their normal rates.

Forum Member

Not free, but they did get NYSC to agree to give discount memberships. Don't remember what the rates were, but it was certainly a bargain compared to their normal rates.
    Do you have to sign up for a year or is it month to month?

with the 2002 exam they gave you a 6 month free membership to NYSC once your list # was reached and in 2007 it was 3 months.

Does anyone whose going into the Jan 14th class remember what the discounted rate is?
    Last edited by FDNY4Life; 01-03-2013 at 05:24 PM.

Forum Member

Hey MM, did they give you official word of how long the academy is going to be?
    Test 2000
    Score 101
    List # 16**

Forum Member

Per an instructor yesterday afternoon, 18 weeks.
    To Persist is to Conquer.

Forum Member

(not that we don't know this already, but there are some new numbers regarding manpower in this article)

Bravest finally get fresh ‘probie’ crop

By DAVID SEIFMAN
    Last Updated: 2:04 AM, January 3, 2013
    Posted: 12:27 AM, January 3, 2013

Coming soon to the FDNY’s training academy is a sight not seen in more than four years: probationary firefighters.

A class of 320 “probies” is scheduled to begin training on Randalls Island on Jan. 14, the first since a federal judge ruled that the city’s firefighter-hiring practices were discriminatory. The latest test met with the judge’s approval.

Officials said the FDNY is operating with 742 firefighters below its authorized staffing level of 8,278.

Fire Commissioner Sal Cassano said it would take until 2015 to reach that full count.

In the interim, the city expects to spend at extra $161 million in overtime to ensure that every fire company has sufficient manpower.

All of those coming on board this month are paramedics or emergency medical technicians who are being promoted.
    zachryw2001 and HopefulFF like this.

Forum Member

On a very exciting note, I went for my first lift/run today in about 3 weeks after being sick nearly forever. I almost puked doing probably half the workload I was doing 4x a week a month ago. Stay healthy guys. Wash your hands and stay away from those who are already sick, because to the road to getting back in shape after it SUCKS.
    HopefulFF likes this.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    On a very exciting note, I went for my first lift/run today in about 3 weeks after being sick nearly forever. I almost puked doing probably half the workload I was doing 4x a week a month ago. Stay healthy guys. Wash your hands and stay away from those who are already sick, because to the road to getting back in shape after it SUCKS.

I hear you bro. I was sick literally all of December. My workouts were lacking so I took a week off, the 7th day I was helping my old man move something in the house and strained a muscle in my back. Feeling better now, first workout in 2 weeks will be tomorrow and I'm already depressed knowing that first workout back sucks.

Forum Member

I hear you bro. I was sick literally all of December. My workouts were lacking so I took a week off, the 7th day I was helping my old man move something in the house and strained a muscle in my back. Feeling better now, first workout in 2 weeks will be tomorrow and I'm already depressed knowing that first workout back sucks.
    Yea just gotta get through that first one dude. I felt like I was dying after a 1.5 mile run and light lift this morning, having done 5 miles without an issue less than a month ago. Go light. You're better off easing back in than effing something up by going to too hard your first time back, especially with your #.
    CableGuy516 likes this.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    Do you have to sign up for a year or is it month to month?

with the 2002 exam they gave you a 6 month free membership to NYSC once your list # was reached and in 2007 it was 3 months.

Does anyone whose going into the Jan 14th class remember what the discounted rate is?
    I don't remember man. They'll hopefully tell people about it when they have CPAT orientations for the next round of people.

Forum Member

***OFF TOPIC***

Take a minute to keep a memory alive for a NY hero that was taken to soon. I didn't know him personally but while working EMS in Rockaway for 5 years I used to see him life guarding all the time. I had the pleasure of partaking in his memorial paddle out last weekend. Great positive vibes from the surf community. I didn't bring all my camera gear just grabbed a GoPro and swam out with the boys. This video is nothing special but that day was.

PS check out Marine Unit in the back pumping.

https://vimeo.com/56697261

Forum Member

The FDNY vacancies have increased from 650 in Sept. 28 to currently 742. Doesn't quite match the average of 50 retirees per month but it's still great news! The more open positions the better it is for the OC guys!

Exam 2000
    Score: 101
    List # 1xxx

(not that we don't know this already, but there are some new numbers regarding manpower in this article)

Bravest finally get fresh ‘probie’ crop

By DAVID SEIFMAN
    Last Updated: 2:04 AM, January 3, 2013
    Posted: 12:27 AM, January 3, 2013

Coming soon to the FDNY’s training academy is a sight not seen in more than four years: probationary firefighters.

A class of 320 “probies” is scheduled to begin training on Randalls Island on Jan. 14, the first since a federal judge ruled that the city’s firefighter-hiring practices were discriminatory. The latest test met with the judge’s approval.

Officials said the FDNY is operating with 742 firefighters below its authorized staffing level of 8,278.

Fire Commissioner Sal Cassano said it would take until 2015 to reach that full count.

In the interim, the city expects to spend at extra $161 million in overtime to ensure that every fire company has sufficient manpower.

All of those coming on board this month are paramedics or emergency medical technicians who are being promoted.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    The FDNY vacancies have increased from 650 in Sept. 28 to currently 742. Doesn't quite match the average of 50 retirees per month but it's still great news! The more open positions the better it is for the OC guys!

Exam 2000
    Score: 101
    List # 1xxx
    You have to remember how much overtime these guys are getting. When it starts to dry up when new FF come in, the number of people retiring is going to soar. IMO!

Forum Member

came across this video a Michigan FF made. It's a helmet cam of his work in 2012, pretty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=xEF0MVjrs5k
    petrole likes this.

Thread Information