Like Tree9885Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #6126
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    You have to remember how much overtime these guys are getting. When it starts to dry up when new FF come in, the number of people retiring is going to soar. IMO!
    Except that there are VERY few people who have 20 years.....so don't hold your breath. For the sake of experience, you'd better hope the few guys that DO have time on this job don't run out the door.
    SkylinePCG and vekdoggs75 like this.

  2. #6127
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Except that there are VERY few people who have 20 years.....so don't hold your breath. For the sake of experience, you'd better hope the few guys that DO have time on this job don't run out the door.
    you cant deny guys are holding on till the overtime dries up. Huge boost in pension. remember its last 3 years not "best" three years...

    little disclaimer; i have no idea the numbers. It just logically makes sense to me that this will/is happening

  3. #6128
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bed-Stuy Brooklyn
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    came across this video a Michigan FF made. It's a helmet cam of his work in 2012, pretty awesome.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=xEF0MVjrs5k
    This video is badass, some of those fires were ripping. I gotta say, thats alot of fire to see in one year. Engine guys get to have all the fun, truckies do all the grunt work.
    HopefulFF likes this.

  4. #6129
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    you cant deny guys are holding on till the overtime dries up. Huge boost in pension. remember its last 3 years not "best" three years...

    little disclaimer; i have no idea the numbers. It just logically makes sense to me that this will/is happening
    per: http://www.thomanntax.com/wp-content...r-2vsTier3.pdf it is:
    Final average salary (FAS)
    The greater of pensionable earnings of:
    a. Final 12 months
    b. Avg of final 36 months (only for appointment date before 7/01/00)
    c. Avg of three consecutive calendar years (only for appointment date before 7/01/00)

    So it would appear that someone who is currently able to retire would have the choice of best 3 or final 3, but ya know what? None of that matters here. The department has indicated it wants to hire as much as possible in the next few years, which will probably be done regardless of whether or not there is a sudden spike in retirements in a few years. Also worth noting that it's going to take multiple classes for this overtime to dry up. There's even more overtime at the moment with all of the firefighters who were in companies a month ago now detailed to the rock, and as I understand it probies can't do overtime for their first 6 months in the field (correct me if wrong).

    Quote Originally Posted by I3akdraf View Post
    This video is badass, some of those fires were ripping. I gotta say, thats alot of fire to see in one year. Engine guys get to have all the fun, truckies do all the grunt work.
    Some might say that forcible entry, VES, opening up the roof, and/or rescuing victims is fun.

  5. #6130
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Just some motivation for those of us a little bit further down the list..I watch this at least a few times a week..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8CFeQKL3pM
    +1. Just thinking about that quote at the end helps me push through a tough workout.

    I don't know his name but this instructor has another real good video on youtube about overall health and fitness:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN5iucMGbDo

    I hope he's still there if I get the chance to go through the academy. He seems like an awesome motivator.
    Last edited by CableGuy516; 01-05-2013 at 01:04 PM.

  6. #6131
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    I hope he's still there if I get the chance to go through the academy. He seems like an awesome motivator.
    Lt Pete (I'd address him by his last name if I knew it) certainly is still there. Hopefully he's not going anywhere for a long time.
    vekdoggs75 and CableGuy516 like this.

  7. #6132
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bed-Stuy Brooklyn
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    per: http://www.thomanntax.com/wp-content...r-2vsTier3.pdf it is:

    Some might say that forcible entry, VES, opening up the roof, and/or rescuing victims is fun.
    Ok i'll admit venting a roof with a K-12 is fun, but not with a flat head. But you have to be fast and bust your *** throwing ladders and stuff to see some red stuff. I never had to luxury of doing a search unfortunately.

  8. #6133
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    +1. Just thinking about that quote at the end helps me push through a tough workout.

    I don't know his name but this instructor has another real good video on youtube about overall health and fitness:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?
    v=QN5iucMGbDo


    I hope he's still there if I get the chance to go through the academy. He seems like an awesome motivator.
    Agreed man. That quote at the end gets me going haha. It's probably watched 3-4 times a week haha.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

  9. #6134
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    All over the east coast
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    I don't know his name but this instructor has another real good video on youtube about overall health and fitness:
    I hope he's still there if I get the chance to go through the academy. He seems like an awesome motivator.
    Lt Pete Critsimilios, he's a phenomenal motivator and great guy at the Rock.
    Last edited by 53fireman; 01-05-2013 at 06:51 PM.

  10. #6135
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Hey everybody!

    I hope everyone is doing great!

    So I have been keeping up with this forum and thankfully did really well on FDNY 2000 written with List# 17xx.

    I was wondering how soon/how long would it take for the CPAT? I'm just confused because I have been hearing all types of news and rumors of the judge forcing 300 minority hires, then slow down of hires etc. I was just curious as to when, most likely, Ill be called for the CPAT?

    Thanks so much and God Bless!

  11. #6136
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    If you have been "keeping up with this forum", then you already have your answer.
    No one knows.
    FDsouthbxNY and vekdoggs75 like this.

  12. #6137
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default

    So just to get this right...they're hiring all the EMTs from 2500, then moving through 2000?

  13. #6138
    OAK
    OAK is offline
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Something I came by,
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1234003
    Don't even want to comment on the ruling..
    Last edited by OAK; 01-06-2013 at 03:14 AM.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

  14. #6139
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    535

    Default

    unreal....
    Last edited by FDsouthbxNY; 01-06-2013 at 06:01 AM.

  15. #6140
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hopeandbelieve View Post
    So just to get this right...they're hiring all the EMTs from 2500, then moving through 2000?
    yes........

  16. #6141
    Forum Member
    FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Ouch.....that's a big kick in the balls.....oh well there goes my chances out the window. Maybe I'll to get a letter in the mail 15 years from now
    vekdoggs75 and knicksh2o like this.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

    I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

  17. #6142
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    such rage reading these sob stories.

    Also must be nice to take the test and find out your score within a few weeks.

  18. #6143
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    720 people down? I thought they were looking to hire 2500
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 01-06-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  19. #6144
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    Ouch.....that's a big kick in the balls.....oh well there goes my chances out the window. Maybe I'll to get a letter in the mail 15 years from now

    QUOTE=FdnytolifeE293;1352885]Ouch.....that's a big kick in the balls.....oh well there goes my chances out the window. Maybe I'll to get a letter in the mail 15 years from now [/QUOTE]

    The minorities from the old lists, do they have to just pass 2000? or score high? I guess this is a stupid question, because I am pretty sure they just have to pass.

    This Daily News article is sicking, trying to make their failures sound like hard work.
    oh you got an 80? wow they screwed you, lets give you a second chance because of the color of your skin. It's suck a set up, say anything about the quality of these people and you are a racist.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 01-06-2013 at 12:42 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  20. #6145
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Does anyone know what color under armor shirts were allowed to wear under the PT gear for the fire Academy . Or know the color of the PT uniforms

  21. #6146
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Thank God I'm only 21. Anyone see the 38 y/o who has "always wanted to try firefighting"? We're mostly guys in our 20s who prepared physically and mentally for the past few years. This isn't something you do for a paycheck or because you wanna try your hand at being a fireman only because you're getting the chance. What about the guys on here who didn't score high enough? They're swallowing their pride and moving on, and preparing for their next shot. It's also scary that one day the guy next to us one day might be a 40 y/o rookie, not only lacking in experience, but unable to perform at the level a younger person might be able to.
    Last edited by mocon337; 01-06-2013 at 02:25 PM.
    sffdnyhopeful09 likes this.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

  22. #6147
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4

    Default

    omg.. I do not normally post to message boards because I normally just lurk and check in every so often. But this really gets me boiling... from the Daily News article;
    "Latisha Davis: Not looking for special favors
    I took the test in 1999. I was on public assistance and through the WEP program got placed in the FDNYs recruiting department. The women firefighters really encouraged me to go for it, especially Brenda Berkman. She told me what a great job it is. I was helping the department recruit women to the job, so I thought, Why not me? I missed the cutoff by five points. I was so disappointed."

    Does this woman realize that 5 points can either make or break you when it comes to open competitive exams??? It separates THOUSANDS of people. I took 6019 and got a 89, then took 2000 and got a 97. I did not get any additional points but I am not complaining. Do I wish I would have gotten perhaps a 98 or 99??? Hell yea but it is what it is. This was the first person on the article and after reading just that part I was fuming. Why the hell does race or color of skin matter??? I am Asian and I'm not looking for any handout. Im pretty sure the Asian numbers in the FDNY are by far less than Black and Hispanics. But there is no society that I know of that will point the finger because of race. It should NEVER be about RACE/SKIN COLOR...
    After reading about the other people in the Daily News article, I felt disgusted and sick. I have come to the conclusion that people cannot take blame on themselves. If you did not pass an exam or score high enough to become a FF, how is that the city's fault? Its the city's fault bc the exam was not written well enough for a person with a perhaps HS or GED reading level to understand?? Oh yea I forgot that the min requirements are at least 15 credits in COLLEGE. I have come to the conclusion that society is a bunch of "say-ers, not do-ers"

    Sorry for the negativity if any guys. But as I wait for the opportunity for my list # to be called, do not pause your life. Im gonna continue on as if I never took the exam but its perfectly ok to "Hold on to that DREAM" whatever it may be.
    River6019 likes this.
    EXAM: 2000
    LIST# 78xx
    SCORE: 97

  23. #6148
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nick0525 View Post
    omg.. I do not normally post to message boards because I normally just lurk and check in every so often. But this really gets me boiling... from the Daily News article;
    "Latisha Davis: Not looking for special favors
    “I took the test in 1999. I was on public assistance and through the WEP program got placed in the FDNY’s recruiting department. The women firefighters really encouraged me to go for it, especially Brenda Berkman. She told me what a great job it is. I was helping the department recruit women to the job, so I thought, ‘Why not me?’ I missed the cutoff by five points. I was so disappointed."

    Does this woman realize that 5 points can either make or break you when it comes to open competitive exams??? It separates THOUSANDS of people. I took 6019 and got a 89, then took 2000 and got a 97. I did not get any additional points but I am not complaining. Do I wish I would have gotten perhaps a 98 or 99??? Hell yea but it is what it is. This was the first person on the article and after reading just that part I was fuming. Why the hell does race or color of skin matter??? I am Asian and I'm not looking for any handout. Im pretty sure the Asian numbers in the FDNY are by far less than Black and Hispanics. But there is no society that I know of that will point the finger because of race. It should NEVER be about RACE/SKIN COLOR...
    After reading about the other people in the Daily News article, I felt disgusted and sick. I have come to the conclusion that people cannot take blame on themselves. If you did not pass an exam or score high enough to become a FF, how is that the city's fault? Its the city's fault bc the exam was not written well enough for a person with a perhaps HS or GED reading level to understand?? Oh yea I forgot that the min requirements are at least 15 credits in COLLEGE. I have come to the conclusion that society is a bunch of "say-ers, not do-ers"

    Sorry for the negativity if any guys. But as I wait for the opportunity for my list # to be called, do not pause your life. Im gonna continue on as if I never took the exam but its perfectly ok to "Hold on to that DREAM" whatever it may be.
    I hear you man. Unfortunately contemporary society is one in which people are no longer expected to take responsibility for their own actions and performance, or lack thereof. Damn shame.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

  24. #6149
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Thank God I'm only 21. Anyone see the 38 y/o who has "always wanted to try firefighting"? We're mostly guys in our 20s who prepared physically and mentally for the past few years. This isn't something you do for a paycheck or because you wanna try your hand at being a fireman only because you're getting the chance. What about the guys on here who didn't score high enough? They're swallowing their pride and moving on, and preparing for their next shot. It's also scary that one day the guy next to us one day might be a 40 y/o rookie, not only lacking in experience, but unable to perform at the level a younger person might be able to.

    To be fair, some of us have reached 30 since the fiasco that was 6019. I signed up for that test at 24, and here we still are. Don't sleep on us "old guys"!

    *cracks open botte of ensure*
    River6019 likes this.

  25. #6150
    Forum Member
    FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    379

    Default

    From the rant.

    funny how this little SCAM works. I am hispanic, I took 7029 and scored a 97. I passed my physical and I went through the entire proces until I got held up because I did not have CFR-D. I called everywhere to get the class and they were not easy to come by. I was already on the job down south, was on the Captains list and knew I'd get promoted within the year. I was ****ed I didnt get on back home because of a BS cert. But the rules are the rules. Later I took another test just to leave my options open, I took the written scored a 97 again (consistant) LOL. I never finished the process. I had 11 years on, was a Captain and my wife was not moving back. Then one day I get a letter saying I was discriminated against and may qualify for money or a job. I wrote a letter to the judge telling him he must be mistaking. I was given the same oppertunity as everyone else and I didnt wish to take part in this garbage. I then get a second letter saying that because I scored too high I wouldnt qualify for the money or even a job but I can send in my objection and ask to sit for this up and coming test. How the Hell can you say a hispanic who failed was discriminated against but one who passed was not, are we now putting minorities into groups. What a bunch of BULL ****!!!!!!!! sorry for the language. I was very unhappy that I was unable to find a CFR-D class. I looked all over NYS and none were available, all booked and were very few to choose from. I was coming from 750 south of NY so it wasnt like I could pack up and take a month off from work and make this happen. It also ****es me off that the very next test did away with CFR-D, but in no way does that mean I was discriminated against, nor was anyone else.
    you want to talk about having your back against the wall.... Move down south, be hispanic, make Captain in 9 years and be president of your Local for 6 years. This judge is a joke... sorry for the RANT, Thats All!!! be safe Brothers.
    Last Edit: Today at 8:59am by peco Report to Mod - Link to Post - Back to Top**Logged


    Read more: http://fdnyrant.proboards.com/index....#ixzz2HEKj0Qju


    Another member stated how Brenda Berkman was thrown out of engine 17 for being incompetent. But yet hear in the article they don't mention that at all.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

    I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 16 users browsing this thread. (4 members and 12 guests)

  1. bk60191983,
  2. DSNY2FDNY,
  3. jes82,
  4. RDiesel

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 04:52 AM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register