Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 247 of 1156 FirstFirst ... 147197237244245246247248249250257297347747 ... LastLast
Results 4,921 to 4,940 of 23119
Like Tree9073Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #4921
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I3akdraf View Post
    During the 6019 process the psych was a simple scan tron test with personality type questions i believe. Ex. I like to smoke? With the answers ranging from strongly agree to strongly disagree.
    There are a lot of questions, something in the 300 range, that are asked multiple time just in different ways to check the consistency of you answers. The last question asked you to draw yourself and you couldn't draw a stick figure and you also had to draw your house.
    The medical is prolly the toughest part of the entire hiring process IMO. There are about 8 different tests.
    1. Urine test.
    2. Eye exam (looking into goggles at shapes and stuff, not the DMV type eye exam)
    3. Hearing test
    4. EKG
    5. Lung capacity test
    6. Heart rate monitor on the stair master
    7. X-ray (for any broken bones in you pass especially)
    8. You see a doctor and get the rubber glove treatment and a review of your chart.

    Can't recall anything else but someone else who went thru the process may know what i missed.
    8.
    Rubber glove treatment???
    List # - 36XX
    Intake - N/A


  2. #4922
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bed-Stuy Brooklyn
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polanco View Post
    Rubber glove treatment???
    You know when u take a physical with you doctor and they feel around you pelvis for hernia's and then grab you balls and tell you to cough. All that good stuff is the rubber glove treatment.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

  3. #4923
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I3akdraf View Post
    You know when u take a physical with you doctor and they feel around you pelvis for hernia's and then grab you balls and tell you to cough. All that good stuff is the rubber glove treatment.
    Ahhhh. Yeah not too big of a fan lol

    Thanks for the info though brother
    List # - 36XX
    Intake - N/A

  4. #4924
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anapolitano89 View Post
    I hope they get to at least 7000 to give the majority of us the chance
    Lol I hope they Double that !
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

  5. #4925
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco4805 View Post
    What happens if your heart rate goes over on the stair master?
    Read through my posts.... I posted it earlier in the week
    Exam #2000
    102
    #10XX

  6. #4926
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDEL210201 View Post
    Read through my posts.... I posted it earlier in the week
    I still find it hard to believe that if you fail the 2nd time they just make you stay on for 8 total. I had never heard that before. ****ing awesome. I've done the test on my own time and passed, but it's still one of the more stressful parts of the process. Good to know there should be a way to pass regardless of heart rate. 3 more minutes with a 50# vest is easy enough when everything hinges on it.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

  7. #4927
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    102

    Default

    I feel like the hardest part was passing the written exam. The rest of the steps are really on us. Be physically and mentally prepared when your call comes, and put everything out on the table with your investigator so you have nothing to worry about
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Test 2000
    List #: 57XX

  8. #4928
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I still find it hard to believe that if you fail the 2nd time they just make you stay on for 8 total. I had never heard that before. ****ing awesome. I've done the test on my own time and passed, but it's still one of the more stressful parts of the process. Good to know there should be a way to pass regardless of heart rate. 3 more minutes with a 50# vest is easy enough when everything hinges on it.
    I always tell people that is more about controlling your emotions. When you on the stair master blank everything that is going on in the room. A lot of people fail because they get nervous and their HR spikes up dramatically. Word of advice to you is try and pass it on the first try to make sure there is no hold on your process because it will only delay you 1 month and you don't know if that month could be the reason you don't get into the January class. Good luck to you regardless bro.

  9. #4929
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I still find it hard to believe that if you fail the 2nd time they just make you stay on for 8 total. I had never heard that before. ****ing awesome. I've done the test on my own time and passed, but it's still one of the more stressful parts of the process. Good to know there should be a way to pass regardless of heart rate. 3 more minutes with a 50# vest is easy enough when everything hinges on it.

    If you fail stairmaster 2x then you have to go to an outside doc (cardiologist) and have them do a workout and from what I hear very few people who have to do that have come back and been cleared by doc's at MT
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

  10. #4930
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rcfd31 View Post
    If you fail stairmaster 2x then you have to go to an outside doc (cardiologist) and have them do a workout and from what I hear very few people who have to do that have come back and been cleared by doc's at MT
    that should have been work up not workout
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

  11. #4931
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Far Rockaway
    Posts
    38

    Default

    If anyone wants to buy a vest, I found a very nice 80 pound vest on amazon.com for $200 including shipping. The brand is ZFO Sports.
    Last edited by FDNY2000; 10-26-2012 at 08:21 AM.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 99
    List: 36XX

    It's all heart.

  12. #4932
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I still find it hard to believe that if you fail the 2nd time they just make you stay on for 8 total. I had never heard that before. ****ing awesome. I've done the test on my own time and passed, but it's still one of the more stressful parts of the process. Good to know there should be a way to pass regardless of heart rate. 3 more minutes with a 50# vest is easy enough when everything hinges on it.
    Yup yup!!! Lol
    Exam #2000
    102
    #10XX

  13. #4933
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Far Rockaway
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    This is nothing from my personal knowledge but someone earliet in this thread mentioned that many vets are still on reserve duty or something like that. I'm not too familiar with how this works. I know a buddy of mine is a marine and he is back but has 2 years of reserve duty so in theory if he took the exam, which this idiot didn't, he won't be eligible to enter the academy for 2 years.
    I very well could be wrong so please don't quote me

    If you are on reserve duty, you can be hired just like any other veteran. All the reservist would have to do would be to notify his command that he would be in the fire academy and they would make a decision to exempt him from deployment if that was the case. He/she would still be expected to show up during drill weekends because the schedule would not conflict.

    The caveat to this and how veteran hiring can adversely affect people on the upper parts of OC eligibles is when some of the active duty people come off of active duty. If you are on active duty and your list number is called, the city has to legally hold a spot for you. This means they will be hired at a later date and this may bump someone who would have otherwise been hired.

    I am a Marine veteran, so I am quite confident this is 100% accurate. My brother is also on the job and his academy date was initially in 2005 but he was instructed to contact his investigator when he was approaching the end of his contract. He did and was in the next academy class following his discharge in 2007.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 99
    List: 36XX

    It's all heart.

  14. #4934
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    278

    Default

    If I may offer my insight on the holding your breath to lower your heart rate. I can't remember who posted it but from a medical and anatomical stand point, I don't think this works. Simply put, your heart's job is to pump oxygen rich blood to the rest of your body. If your heart rate is up, it's because the rest of your body is telling your brain that it's not getting enough oxygen. Cutting off oxygen supply by holding your breath seems counter-productive.
    Instead, I might suggest proper diaphragmatic breathing. Think of it as blowing up a balloon in your stomach rather than your chest. Singers do this but a lot of athletes overlook it because chest breathing is what we do all day so naturally it's easier to do when exercising. Try it though. A little uncomfortable at first but once you get used to it, the technique is so much more efficient for the heart and muscles.
    SkylinePCG likes this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 98
    List Number: 60**

  15. #4935
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Shew. Guys are already ordering shirts? I swear some people are in public safety for the fashion and tattoos...
    vekdoggs75 and mocon337 like this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 98
    List Number: 60**

  16. #4936
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    If I may offer my insight on the holding your breath to lower your heart rate. I can't remember who posted it but from a medical and anatomical stand point, I don't think this works. Simply put, your heart's job is to pump oxygen rich blood to the rest of your body. If your heart rate is up, it's because the rest of your body is telling your brain that it's not getting enough oxygen. Cutting off oxygen supply by holding your breath seems counter-productive.
    Instead, I might suggest proper diaphragmatic breathing. Think of it as blowing up a balloon in your stomach rather than your chest. Singers do this but a lot of athletes overlook it because chest breathing is what we do all day so naturally it's easier to do when exercising. Try it though. A little uncomfortable at first but once you get used to it, the technique is so much more efficient for the heart and muscles.
    The technique is not just holding your breath... You hold your breath, squeeze your stomach like you were pushing to take a crap. You do this almost when your 5:12 are almost up. It does work you just need to practice it and do it right. Just make sure you don't have to go to the bathroom during it because not only are you going to pass the stair master but you will leave YOUR mark on it for the next guy up! Lol
    Last edited by Jukez; 10-26-2012 at 08:56 AM.
    FDNYPD and Dannyvale like this.

  17. #4937
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Double post.

  18. #4938
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    If I may offer my insight on the holding your breath to lower your heart rate. I can't remember who posted it but from a medical and anatomical stand point, I don't think this works. Simply put, your heart's job is to pump oxygen rich blood to the rest of your body. If your heart rate is up, it's because the rest of your body is telling your brain that it's not getting enough oxygen. Cutting off oxygen supply by holding your breath seems counter-productive.
    Instead, I might suggest proper diaphragmatic breathing. Think of it as blowing up a balloon in your stomach rather than your chest. Singers do this but a lot of athletes overlook it because chest breathing is what we do all day so naturally it's easier to do when exercising. Try it though. A little uncomfortable at first but once you get used to it, the technique is so much more efficient for the heart and muscles.
    I actually stated that controlling your breathing is whats most important and I did mention that I held my breath. I didn't tell anybody else to do it that's just what i did.

    Now, on breathing from your diaphragm, that's a great point, which I never thought to mention because its second nature to me. You must learn how to breathe from your diaphragm and it's not as easy as some may think. Also breathing through your nose is vital.

    But on the topic of holding your breath, just do a quick search. This actually forces your heart to hold the oxygen you already have in you, slowing the heart as it tries to use oxygen as efficiently as possible. Doesn't sound like it would be good to do this for long periods of time, but for a 5 min test where your future is based on your heart rate, it helps.
    Last edited by GIMMEFIRE600; 10-26-2012 at 09:00 AM.
    FDNYPD likes this.

  19. #4939
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dannyvale View Post
    I don't want to go in debate ... But I like to ask and I want to fill my self with all the information I can to know what's going and why and who etc etc .... You mentioned more people want to be a ff than a cop. Maybe true or not but you got more people taking the pd test ... Ff test is only offer every 4 yrs and this is the first time the numbers go as high as 40,000+ and I have yet met someone in person tell me I want this job I loved to be a ff ... All I have gotten was .. "I just wAnt to drive the truck" "I just want to watch tv and get paid for it " "what about if I don't want to go inside the burning building" <----- I those people are ahead of me I really hope they fail someone where in the process
    I really don't want to beat a dead horse on this one, but just take a look at the NYPD Recruit FB page. It will tell you all you need to know about how hard the NYPD must recruit to get people to even take the exam. Sounds silly, but its telling that their page has less than half of the likes as the FDNY page and also the fact that they travel across the country administering exams at colleges and army bases etc. All of this while having the ability to have a significantly larger applicant pool due to their age limit being 35.

  20. #4940
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY2000 View Post
    If you are on reserve duty, you can be hired just like any other veteran. All the reservist would have to do would be to notify his command that he would be in the fire academy and they would make a decision to exempt him from deployment if that was the case. He/she would still be expected to show up during drill weekends because the schedule would not conflict.

    The caveat to this and how veteran hiring can adversely affect people on the upper parts of OC eligibles is when some of the active duty people come off of active duty. If you are on active duty and your list number is called, the city has to legally hold a spot for you. This means they will be hired at a later date and this may bump someone who would have otherwise been hired.

    I am a Marine veteran, so I am quite confident this is 100% accurate. My brother is also on the job and his academy date was initially in 2005 but he was instructed to conact his investigator when he was approaching the end of his contract. He did and was in the next academy class following his discharge in 2007.
    Thabnk you for clearing that up.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 28 users browsing this thread. (6 members and 22 guests)

  1. 40&OUT,
  2. DannyD0pe,
  3. J Fitz,
  4. k20dc2,
  5. Mtac288,
  6. nptks

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  2. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  3. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  4. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 11:16 AM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts