Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 249 of 1018 FirstFirst ... 149199239246247248249250251252259299349749 ... LastLast
Results 4,961 to 4,980 of 20350
Like Tree7732Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Who would I speak to if I wanted to ask some Questions about what would happen If I was to sign up to serve NOW in one of the branches of military? Dcas or the veteran liaison? If its the liaison any one have the contact info?
    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY2000 View Post
    First and foremost, if you are attempting to join to score some extra points, keep this in mind. The economy is in the toilet which equates to a lot of people joining the military to ensure pay and benefits. This equates to a VERY long wait to ship to boot camp. I know that the Marine Corps is dealing with a waiting time in excess of 12 months. So the option of serving "NOW" doesn't exist.

But, if you want a definitive answer, you can call the DCAS military liaison @ 212.669.7280. Her name is Mrs. Ammons.

When I looked into the Navy a few months back, even that was 8 or 9 months. Your best bet for a quicker ship to bootcamp is probably Army. Someone correct me if I am wrong though...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    When I looked into the Navy a few months back, even that was 8 or 9 months. Your best bet for a quicker ship to bootcamp is probably Army. Someone correct me if I am wrong though
    You would be right. If you wanna ship quick go for a combat MOS. My neighbor just joined and left 2 weeks after talking to a recruiter.
    Last edited by zachryw2001; 10-26-2012 at 07:46 PM.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Hi there hopefuls,

I came across the site after googling "FDNY 2000", I have read a lot of your post and felt you guys give great insight and wanted to join this site..... I like alot of you, was on 6019 and felt I got screwed... I have two questions to ask... How do you guys put up the sig on the bottom of my post and also, I broke my ankle about 2 years ago and came out of it with a plate and some screws with a letter from my Orthopedic and being able to pass the physical do you think they will be giving me any problems?

Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureFirefighter2000 View Post
    Hey guys I want to start to get ready for the academy does anyone know some manuals I could start reading to prepaid myself I've even herd of required reading for the academy does anyone know what these are yet? Just curious. Thanks brothers.
    http://sageauthoring.com/fdny/fdny1.htm

Two things to keep in mind with this:

1. I dont know how often-if ever-those links are updated. For the most part its good, but I wouldnt rely on it for quizzes in proby school

2. The books in the field may have differences from the books you get in proby school; whatever proby school gives you is all that matters. Keep that in mind if you find discrepencies between this link, the books your OTJ friend may have, and proby school books.
    roadrunner09 and Jae Bonilla like this.
    To Persist is to Conquer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NotBad4CityGrad View Post
    Hi there hopefuls,

I came across the site after googling "FDNY 2000", I have read a lot of your post and felt you guys give great insight and wanted to join this site..... I like alot of you, was on 6019 and felt I got screwed... I have two questions to ask... How do you guys put up the sig on the bottom of my post and also, I broke my ankle about 2 years ago and came out of it with a plate and some screws with a letter from my Orthopedic and being able to pass the physical do you think they will be giving me any problems?

Thanks
    Hey, welcome. I'd have no clue about your ankle issue but, for your signature, In "My profile" under "forum options" there is an "edit profile" option. Click that then there should be an "edit signature" option on the left.
    NotBad4CityGrad likes this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

re: Holding breath & bearing down to lower heart rate.

Both these techniques stimulate the vagus nerve, so I imagine they would work, though I've never tried them myself. You should be careful though because stimulating the vagus nerve too much is a good way to make yourself pass out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_response

I did the stairmaster thing on my own once before and passed, just a bit scary coming up on the real thing. I haven't received a date for my medical yet, but I know that they have started scheduling people for it. From reading the 6019 thread though there are several instances of people failing the first time, then passing a month later after a moderate amount of running/cardio, which is a relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Rpyrcz View Post
    Question for the CrossFit guys on here. I'm in pretty decent shape but have never done Crossfit, I've heard great things, but also hear about some pretty intense injuries. Would it be a mistake to start CrossFit now, or is the risk of injury really overblown (or least not much worse then other workouts.) Also, SouthBrooklyn CrossFit is the location near me are any of you familiar with that one? It seems to get some solid reviews.

Thanks.
    Crossfit is great, however you have to be smart about it when you go to do it. If you've never done front squats before and they teach you the move, then the workout of the day (WOD) involves high reps of front squats, you should recognize that it is not something you have a lot of experience with and go super light, as to not injure yourself. Same could be said for deadlifts, regular squats, overhead squats, cleans, snatches, etc.

People get hurt in crossfit when they try to do more than they can handle.
    Last edited by Manhattan Medic; 10-26-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    ffbam24 and FDNYPD like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    do it. Today.
    You can only get Hurt by lifting improperly or doin too much weight just like any other workout it's nice to do the weight RX'd but if its too much your not helping your workout as well as risking injury
    FD Exam # 2000
    Score- 102
    List- 10xx
    CPAT- Passed
    Psych- Passed
    Medical - Passed
    Retest for stairs -Passed
    Medically cleared for hire....."can't wait" -Bart Scott

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Who would I speak to if I wanted to ask some Questions about what would happen If I was to sign up to serve NOW in one of the branches of military? Dcas or the veteran liaison? If its the liaison any one have the contact info?
    I was thinking about doing the same thing, I just don't wanna get the call from the FD while i'm serving active duty
    Test 2000
    List #: 57XX

Forum Member

To those who may be current students:

If you enter a .edu e-mail address in the contact info for amazon.com, the shipping is free. I saved myself $50 in shipping on my weight vest.
    thanks for this info, I read up on it and signed up for the free six months. The only small issue is on amazon, the retailers that have the 60lb and up vests aren't eligible for amazon prime. So the free shipping can only be applied to the 40lb vest. That is the heaviest one I could find that accepted amazon prime, so I will most likely be going to ebay. But still great info for free shipping on everything else Thanks

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Do national guard vets qualify for vet points?
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    Do national guard vets qualify for vet points?
    I don't think so. Only reason I'm saying that is because a couple weeks ago someone on here was pretty ****ed about it. Only way to find out for sure is to call DCAS and ask.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    http://sageauthoring.com/fdny/fdny1.htm

Two things to keep in mind with this:

1. I dont know how often-if ever-those links are updated. For the most part its good, but I wouldnt rely on it for quizzes in proby school

2. The books in the field may have differences from the books you get in proby school; whatever proby school gives you is all that matters. Keep that in mind if you find discrepencies between this link, the books your OTJ friend may have, and proby school books.
    I was reading the booklets ... Was the FDNY once called NYFD ... If you look at ladder operations ..portable ladders ..page 12... Figure 6 the FF boot says NYFD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyvale View Post
    I was reading the booklets ... Was the FDNY once called NYFD ... If you look at ladder operations ..portable ladders ..page 12... Figure 6 the FF boot says NYFD

I think I read all the books my friend game me from academy 2x each and then memorized all the 10 codes. Just to have the class canceled! But it was still worth reading em
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

FDNY hiring case judge rejects criticisms. See Newsday story: http://www.newsday.com/news/fdny-hir...isms-1.4158630

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcfd31 View Post
    I think I read all the books my friend game me from academy 2x each and then memorized all the 10 codes. Just to have the class canceled! But it was still worth reading em
    You good now because with that list number you'll be gettin in soon .... Now if you can share those books with me would be great !!!!
    rcfd31 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by retired senior View Post
    FDNY hiring case judge rejects criticisms. See Newsday story: http://www.newsday.com/news/fdny-hir...isms-1.4158630
    not surprising at all

Forum Member

First and foremost, if you are attempting to join to score some extra points, keep this in mind. The economy is in the toilet which equates to a lot of people joining the military to ensure pay and benefits. This equates to a VERY long wait to ship to boot camp. I know that the Marine Corps is dealing with a waiting time in excess of 12 months. So the option of serving "NOW" doesn't exist.

But, if you want a definitive answer, you can call the DCAS military liaison @ 212.669.7280. Her name is Mrs. Ammons.
    Thanks so much. I will check it out.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NotBad4CityGrad View Post
    Hi there hopefuls,

Thanks
    How did you break your ankle? I am curious because I want to avoid something like that happening to me. When I might have a good chance in the next few years.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    I don't think so. Only reason I'm saying that is because a couple weeks ago someone on here was pretty ****ed about it. Only way to find out for sure is to call DCAS and ask.
    No they don't. U had to be on active duty. Or your guard unit activated for a certain amount of months

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyvale View Post
    You good now because with that list number you'll be gettin in soon .... Now if you can share those books with me would be great !!!!
    I would have let you use them but my friend took them back because his cousin was behind me on the list and he wanted to read them too. I recently asked him to borrow them again but he said that his cousin ended up ruining them with water or something lol. figures!!
    Dannyvale likes this.
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Thread Information