Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 1208 FirstFirst ... 152223242526272835751255251025 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 500 of 24154
Like Tree9404Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #481
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Glad we finally have the tutorial. I just wish there was a little more to it. As far as outside classes go, I know the city already told us, but the outside classes won't have any more information than what the city just gave us. The best thing to do is look over that tutorial several times and be sure you're similar with the process. And it may seem simple/easy to us, but I don't believe it's going to be that easy for all people. And I don't want to cause too many problems here, but in the past the residency has been important and I feel that this time, it will be even more so. At any rate, the best thing to do, in my opinion, is to focus on things we can control, like: staying in shape, out of trouble, keeping up with paperwork requirements and generally staying ready for each step as it comes.

    On another note, I moved to Brooklyn recently, from the Bronx and if there's anyone else in the area, I wouldn't mind hanging with some people who are interested in the job and/or were on 6019 with me. Seems like there's lots to do here in Brooklyn and I'm getting pretty bored.
    Last edited by Minerva; 01-12-2013 at 10:36 AM.


  2. #482
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Hey everybody, just watched the tutorial and it seems way too easy. I want to study for the test but its hard to know what i should be focusing on when the test seems like its going to be ridiculously easy. I have been studying with the traditional test-prep books and am taking a prep class but am worried that it isn't going to help too much with the new format. Does anyone know of any study material out there that is pertinent to the new exam format? Also i'm pretty much just curious how everyone else is preparing for the test.

  3. #483
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    278

    Default

    I'm not sure what you're studying, kd44 but make sure you're not cramming your head with actualy firefighter information. Instead, study the types of questions. The exam measures your ability to learn the profession, not how much you already know about the profession. Base your search of study material around that idea.

  4. #484
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kd44 View Post
    Hey everybody, just watched the tutorial and it seems way too easy. I want to study for the test but its hard to know what i should be focusing on when the test seems like its going to be ridiculously easy. I have been studying with the traditional test-prep books and am taking a prep class but am worried that it isn't going to help too much with the new format. Does anyone know of any study material out there that is pertinent to the new exam format? Also i'm pretty much just curious how everyone else is preparing for the test.
    I've been using Barron's book to study.

    http://www.amazon.com/Barrons-Firefi...6816046&sr=8-1

    From the little we have seen, the test doesn't look that difficult at all. So how much one of these study guides will help ? I don't know, but I figure it doesn't hurt to look.

  5. #485
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    14

    Question 2 years to start fdny

    Hey got a question. In the latest fdny video the firefighter said it took him 2 years to start working for fdny. Does he mean 2 years from when he started the academy? Or 2 years after the date he applied? Thanks

  6. #486
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I've been using Barron's book to study.

    From the little we have seen, the test doesn't look that difficult at all. So how much one of these study guides will help ? I don't know, but I figure it doesn't hurt to look.
    I took the last exam and got screwed out of the academy last minute do to the lawsuit. All I can tell you is theres no way to really study for the test. The only thing you can do is familiarize yourself with it as much as you can. The most important thing is to go into it and take your time and make sure you answer EVERY question correct without and "stupid" mistakes. If I would've got 1 more question right last time I would've been in the only academy off of 6019. Every question counts and one wrong answer could mean going from list number 1500 to number 5000.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mo2012 View Post
    Hey got a question. In the latest fdny video the firefighter said it took him 2 years to start working for fdny. Does he mean 2 years from when he started the academy? Or 2 years after the date he applied? Thanks

    Probably after the date he applied or took the exam. The academy itself is a few months long. Figure if everything goes well and theres no hold ups do to legal issues (which is near impossible) you are probably looking at the first academy graduating around this time next year at the earliest. Those that make the first academy are most likely going to have list numbers from 1-800 at the most. I have a friend on the job that got into the last academy off his list. It took him four years to get hired after he took the exam. So take the exam and do the best you can then forget about it until you get your results. At that time you'll know whether to start running and training or to forget about it for a while. All depends on how well you do and what your number is.
    Last edited by nightowl75; 01-19-2012 at 07:59 AM.
    FDNY Exam 6019 List# 14XX.
    Lawsuit Victim: Completed process, cancelled academy.

    FDNY Exam 2000 List# 6XX.

  7. #487
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightowl75 View Post
    I took the last exam and got screwed out of the academy last minute do to the lawsuit. All I can tell you is theres no way to really study for the test. The only thing you can do is familiarize yourself with it as much as you can. The most important thing is to go into it and take your time and make sure you answer EVERY question correct without and "stupid" mistakes. If I would've got 1 more question right last time I would've been in the only academy off of 6019. Every question counts and one wrong answer could mean going from list number 1500 to number 5000.
    Quoted for truth


    Quote Originally Posted by nightowl75 View Post
    Probably after the date he applied or took the exam. The academy itself is a few months long. Figure if everything goes well and theres no hold ups do to legal issues (which is near impossible) you are probably looking at the first academy graduating around this time next year at the earliest. Those that make the first academy are most likely going to have list numbers from 1-800 at the most. I have a friend on the job that got into the last academy off his list. It took him four years to get hired after he took the exam. So take the exam and do the best you can then forget about it until you get your results. At that time you'll know whether to start running and training or to forget about it for a while. All depends on how well you do and what your number is.
    Good points. Fellas, have a back up plan. The odds of you getting into the FDNY is probably as safe as expecting to retire by playing the lottery. The only difference is, you can't play twice a week but twice in your life time. Again, have a back up plan/department

  8. #488
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    843

    Default

    Has anyone received their test date in the mail yet ?

  9. #489
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    37

    Default

    I'm curious about the fifth section of the exam. The tutorial said it was a "background information survey" which covers our work experience and preferences. I wonder if it's going to be graded with the rest of the exam or more along the lines of a pass/fail?

  10. #490
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    82

    Default

    NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — New York City says a judge overseeing a discrimination case against the fire department abandoned his neutral role and was preoccupied with press coverage of the proceedings.

    City attorneys said in a brief filed in the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis should be removed from the case.

    Garaufis appointed an independent monitor last October to oversee the FDNY’s effort to improve diversity in its recruiting. He found the city had failed to ensure that enough blacks and minorities were being hired.

    The Justice Department had sued the city on behalf of a black fraternal firefighter organization.

    City attorneys said in the court papers filed Friday that the judge also disregarded “key evidence” and legal principles in his ruling.

  11. #491
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    This might be good news..what are the odds that you think that the same thing could happen to us that happened to 6019 if judge G can't well..won't be involved?

  12. #492
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,224

    Default

    I was just reading one of the articles linked on meritt. The one with the two Asian fire fighters. Anyway, the article mentioned the person didn't get veterans points because he was not a NYC or NY resident. He still got hired because he got a 98

    Does that mean that only NY'ers who served in the military are eligable for Veteran points? Are Veteran points for those from NYC or NY. If so how long do they have to be Here to be a resident.
    I know this has been posted before but the article threw me off, plus they usually screwup all the important details anyway.

    I really hope Garufis gets thrown off this case. How long do you guys think it will take to get him taken off, assuming it happens.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 01-22-2012 at 08:04 PM.

  13. #493
    MembersZone Subscriber ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    You have to be a NY STATE resident in order to receive the veterans points.

  14. #494
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    You have to be a NY STATE resident in order to receive the veterans points.
    No...You need to be a NYS resident at the time of APPOINTMENT to receive veterans points.

  15. #495
    MembersZone Subscriber ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Huh?
    Explain that one to me.
    How do you receive points after the fact you're appointed?

  16. #496
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,224

    Default

    http://m.qchron.com/mobile/news/quee...88d2ff64e.html

    I'm pretty sure it's NY State but the question is from when. Did you have to enlist in NY it just move here x amount of time ago.

  17. #497
    MembersZone Subscriber ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    No. You do not have to enlist in NYS.
    I believe it's that as long as you are a NYS resident (probably at the time of filing or as for the NYC residency requirements of before July 1, 2011 per the NOE). Or as it also states, expecting to be honorably discharged by time of appointment.
    But that's just an educated guess. I'll see if I can get a more specific answer for you.

  18. #498
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    I'm not a resident of NYC or NYS..in order to be hired I need to be a resident of the 5 boroughs or the surrounding counties..

    Veterans..or disabled veterans credit works the same way. Being in the military doesn't constitute veterans credit. veterans require to you be deployed to a war zone..well not a war zone but deployed abroad while enlisted in the military. In order to receive veterans credit or disabled veterans credit you must be a resident of nyc or the surrounding counties by time of appointment. appointment is the time when you start the academy and start to receive pay from nyc.

    In the article that was posted in the above link the FF served in pearl harbor Hawaii in the 90s, the United states was not involved in a conflict at that time, and Hawaii is not considered a deployment.

    I believe the NOE(notice of examination) states that a campaign ribbon either Iraq or Afghanistan must be awarded to you to be considered for veterans status.

  19. #499
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MFES View Post
    I'm curious about the fifth section of the exam. The tutorial said it was a "background information survey" which covers our work experience and preferences. I wonder if it's going to be graded with the rest of the exam or more along the lines of a pass/fail?
    Scored against the overall weight of the exam, not pass/fail.

  20. #500
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    474

    Default

    not entirely true. i spoke with someone at dcas and since i was a member of the us coast guard (a military branch) and my enlistment took place in a time of war iam actually awared vet credit although never serving in a warzone. so actually as long as those guys in pearl harbor were active duty they should also. as long as you were active in a time of "national emergency" from 2001-present you are awarded a national defense service medal upon graduation from i believe all 5 boot camps

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 32 users browsing this thread. (9 members and 23 guests)

  1. 4040clubBouncer,
  2. cjr,
  3. DannyD0pe,
  4. dwm326,
  5. dylanwill24,
  6. Manhattan Medic,
  7. TheBrooklynKid,
  8. thirdtimesacharm

Similar Threads

  1. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  2. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts