Like Tree9502Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo_D View Post
    Well said..thank you...like I said before they determine tie breakers based on the last 5 digits of ur ssn combined with the first 4...it's on the dcas website if anyone has doubts

What arrogance on his part to assume the city will use a lottery...not that it's fair to utilize that tie breaking procedure in the first place but how else can you do it?

On a different note..did anyone sign up for the 2 session 4 hour cram course starting fen 26th?

Which 4 hour sessions are you speaking of?

Irish, Bam, or any other guys OTJ, have you heard of any courses worth taking?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Which 4 hour sessions are you speaking of?

Irish, Bam, or any other guys OTJ, have you heard of any courses worth taking?
    If u go on exam net.com they have classes in the 5 boros that prepare u for the test

It was being advertised in the daily news
    Last edited by Angelo_D; 02-02-2012 at 09:33 PM.

Forum Member

I'll ask at work tomorrow about the questions. Get you some real deal information.

As for classes, I took the free ones from the city. I had an arco book to read at home. It's hatd to suggest something when I personally didn't take the new test. I would imagine familiarity with fire department terms will help, if not just to speed you up. Again, ill look into this more during my tours

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Well said..thank you...like I said before they determine tie breakers based on the last 5 digits of ur ssn combined with the first 4...it's on the dcas website if anyone has doubts

What arrogance on his part to assume the city will use a lottery...not that it's fair to utilize that tie breaking procedure in the first place but how else can you do it?

On a different note..did anyone sign up for the 2 session 4 hour cram course starting fen 26th?
    Yea I signed up for the one in queens. I also took classes in long island with the same company. Got a pretty good discount for the cram course. Just in case anybody doesn't want to spend any money on the courses they offer, the instructor informed everyone that you can get a tax write off on your tax returns. Thank god it's like going for a free course.

Forum Member

Irish and Bam Thank you for coming on here and sharing your information with us and keeping us in check. It is greatly appreciated.

This is a stupid question, but according to the exam notice we are allowed to have a calculator as long as it does not have any word processing capabilities right? I always thought calculators were not allowed, so I was a little shocked when I reread the exam notice and saw that.

Also has anybody bought the Don McNea Online prep course that was advertised a page or two back?

MembersZone Subscriber

Honestly, the test prep classes you see popping up being offered are probably crap, with the exception of some of the established ones like dmfireschool. But the ones trying to leach off of you that have stickers on the papers are most likely only after your money and have no idea what to prep you for with this test.

$359??? I could charge you half that, but I have a conscience.

Forum Member

Another question..i may be looking a bit ahead but let's say I get called for the physical exam will I get disqualified if my vision in my right eye is 20/35? I have been debating on LASIK surgery...just a bit concerned about the cost...has anyone on here had the procedure done?
    I heard it's 20/40 but I've read other guys say they had worse than 20/40 and were still able to pass. Unfortunately for me I have no choice to get lasik if I get to that point. I'm blind as a bat w/o my contacts.

Forum Member

Deleted post
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 02-10-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Forum Member

I wouldn't trust those exam courses especially since no one seem 100% sure of what this exam will have. I got a couple of practice exam books off amazon to study from until the city offers their courses. A lot cheaper than spending $359
    Last edited by TomFromQueens; 02-02-2012 at 09:54 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    Irish and Bam Thank you for coming on here and sharing your information with us and keeping us in check. It is greatly appreciated.

This is a stupid question, but according to the exam notice we are allowed to have a calculator as long as it does not have any word processing capabilities right? I always thought calculators were not allowed, so I was a little shocked when I reread the exam notice and saw that.

Also has anybody bought the Don McNea Online prep course that was advertised a page or two back?
    Just read the NOE and it states "Calculators and electronic devices with an alphabetic keyboard or with word processing or data recording abilities such as planners, organizers, etc. are not permitted. If you are found to be in possession of any of these devices, you may not receive your test results, your test score may be nullified, and your application fee will not be refunded.

Forum Member

I wouldn't pay for classes. More than likely its some ahole preying on you guys. I thought dcas had given out something??? Those people selling you crap have little to no more knowledge than you can get on your own. This format is brand new, how can they teach you how to ace it?

Forum Member

Deleted post
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 02-10-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Forum Member

Yeah that's true...just to see what it's all about I guess...how many ppl took the last exam btw?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    Your ok, you can't go above 20/40. Worry about you heart rate with the 50 lb vest and stepmill when we all get passed this written test portion.
    Yeah I have to start doing more cardio training...I may have a stigmatism in my right eye I don't want it to disqualify me but I feel a bit better that ur saying it's 20/40

Forum Member

Anybody from the last exam tell us what was the hardest math that you saw on the test? Maybe this time around they won't have it, that's if this test is watered down a notch. I also think they took out the memorization portion of this test because they don't mention that in the tutorial. Anybody have any input on this matter?

Forum Member

Deleted post
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 02-10-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Forum Member

Is there anyone else that has not received their letter yet??? they said it was suppose to be here by the 27th and its now almost the 3rd

Forum Member

Dan, you might want to make a phone call about that, it seems like everyone has received theirs already.

I was just reading through the medical standard that Skavenger posted. Does anyone know if this is exactly what the FDNY follows. Or is the FDNY more strict? Because in section 9.12.3 it states

1)*Far visual acuity worse than 20/40 binocular corrected
    with contact lens or spectacles, and far visual acuity uncorrected
    worse than 20/100 binocular for wearers of hard
    contacts or spectacles, compromises a member’s ability to
    safely perform essential job tasks 6, 8, 10, and 11. Successful
    soft contact lens wearers shall not be subject to the
    uncorrected standard.

It seems like they are saying that as long as your vision can be corrected to 20/40 with soft lenses you are good to go.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dandan4 View Post
    Is there anyone else that has not received their letter yet??? they said it was suppose to be here by the 27th and its now almost the 3rd
    fdnyschedule@psionline.com leave your full name and ssn. Bro take the time to read the notice of examination. Don't mean to be a d!%khead just trying to help

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    Dan, you might want to make a phone call about that, it seems like everyone has received theirs already.

I was just reading through the medical standard that Skavenger posted. Does anyone know if this is exactly what the FDNY follows. Or is the FDNY more strict? Because in section 9.12.3 it states

1)*Far visual acuity worse than 20/40 binocular corrected
    with contact lens or spectacles, and far visual acuity uncorrected
    worse than 20/100 binocular for wearers of hard
    contacts or spectacles, compromises a member’s ability to
    safely perform essential job tasks 6, 8, 10, and 11. Successful
    soft contact lens wearers shall not be subject to the
    uncorrected standard.

It seems like they are saying that as long as your vision can be corrected to 20/40 with soft lenses you are good to go.
    FDNY requires you to get LASIK. I think this would apply to a member that's on the job already

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    FDNY requires you to get LASIK. I think this would apply to a member that's on the job already
    Wrong. Stop making **** up.

Forum Member

I have been debating on LASIK surgery...just a bit concerned about the cost...has anyone on here had the procedure done?
    Finance it. LASIK was the best decision I've ever made. Simple and speedy recovery (one day if near-sighted). I paid $3500 for mine with the available option that if my vision decreases over time, they'll do the surgery again for free. There are cheaper options to LASIK. Don't skimp. They're your freakin' eyes.

Again, best decsion I've ever made and will be doubley so if I'm fortunate enough to make it the physical assessment.

Forum Member

Deleted post
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 02-10-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    Finance it. LASIK was the best decision I've ever made. Simple and speedy recovery (one day if near-sighted). I paid $3500 for mine with the available option that if my vision decreases over time, they'll do the surgery again for free. There are cheaper options to LASIK. Don't skimp. They're your freakin' eyes.

Again, best decsion I've ever made and will be doubley so if I'm fortunate enough to make it the
    physical assessment.

Yeah I was reading about the finance option...that's great! Hopefully I'm a candidate for it...I need to schedule a consultation...is your vision 20/15 now? Or 20/20?

Forum Member

Who has an early test date?

Thread Information