Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 252 of 1018 FirstFirst ... 152202242249250251252253254255262302352752 ... LastLast
Results 5,021 to 5,040 of 20350
Like Tree7732Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by anapolitano89 View Post
    I know people who took it who are afraid of heights. Hopefully, for our sake, there are quite a few people oblivious to what the job entails.
    Yea dude I remember someone saying they wanted to know how they can go about being on the job but not having to go into fires. I know one dude who smokes weed literally everyday, and probably hasn't lifted or ran in a year and is in the top thousand. Hopefully karma comes around for those of us who are serious.

Forum Member

some how people tested who are too old
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

I know people who took it who are afraid of heights. Hopefully, for our sake, there are quite a few people oblivious to what the job entails.
    I know about 10 current FFs close friends of mine. All afraid of heights and always been lol. That's not enough reason to fail the academy haha.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BTown View Post
    In light of the latest Garaufis involvement with the fairness hearing, lets all hope that Merit Matters and

the UFA get involved in this joke of a justice system. Keep #6019 alive.
    its probably a little late now

Forum Member

I'm afraid of heights.. I've been all my life. But you know what? I overcome it. When they call my number ill let you know how scared I am, since ill be called before you.

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

I feel bad for anyone afraid of heights. When these candidates get to the academy and go up on one of the ladders in back of the rigs, which will be almost in a 90 degree angle and you have to climb it to get on top of one of the buildings, they will chit themselves. Not only will they be faced with the fear of height but also how unstable the ladder is. Remember it's going to be windy and you'll be in full gear carrying all these tools, it won't come easy lol. Honestly they should of included this on the cpat.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Well I personally know an EMS guy whose been OTJ for 6 months and the ONLY reason he became an EMS is to get into the FDNY. He got a horrible score on the test and his list number is in the 700's on the 2500 exam.

And trust me, im not going to lose any sleep from it with a 800 list but there are plenty of guys who had no extra points and got a 96 on the 2000 exam and will unfortunetly not get in while EMS guys who "slaved" for 6 months will be on with a 75 test score.

I have no problem putting the EMS guys on for promotion but i just feel like they are getting way too much priority. My advice: either up the eligible promo year to 3 or 4, or just let them take the same exact test as us and give them ten extra points. I wonder how many of those 870 ems dudes will still be relevant

EDIT: and one more thing.. Somebody mentioned that ems slave for **** money? You see the economy we are in? Everyone who has taken this test makes **** money.. I make **** money, you make **** money, and the guy with a 96 who works at mcdonalds makes **** money too.. cry me a river with all this sensitivity towards medics
    I scored a 96. Out of state and no extra points. Dream withering. Also last chance. Maybe the fire gods will have mercy and get to my number.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    I feel bad for anyone afraid of heights. When these candidates get to the academy and go up on one of the ladders in back of the rigs, which will be almost in a 90 degree angle and you have to climb it to get on top of one of the buildings, they will chit themselves. Not only will they be faced with the fear of height but also how unstable the ladder is. Remember it's going to be windy and you'll be in full gear carrying all these tools, it won't come easy lol. Honestly they should of included this on the cpat.
    Don't worry.. I've climbed ladder trucks... In gear out of gear 35' 24' 14' repelled 42 feet down a wall... It's not that serious.. And those ladder trucks are pretty stable.
    FDNYPD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Don't worry.. I've climbed ladder trucks... In gear out of gear 35' 24' 14' repelled 42 feet down a wall... It's not that serious.. And those ladder trucks are pretty stable.

I'm not directing my comment towards you. I'm saying in general there are people out there that would be scared chitless lol. When you get to proby school, check in with us to let us guys further down the list know how's proby school and also to give us some motivation haha.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

Forum Member

I'm afraid of heights.. I've been all my life. But you know what? I overcome it. When they call my number ill let you know how scared I am, since ill be called before you.
    Thanks buddy, looking forward to it
    Test 2000
    List #: 57XX

Forum Member

i know when people get there investigation packets they need to include information about earnings

What happens if you work off the books but claim it as income on your taxes

Forum Member

I'm not directing my comment towards you. I'm saying in general there are people out there that would be scared chitless lol. When you get to proby school, check in with us to let us guys further down the list know how's proby school and also to give us some motivation haha.
    No issues bro.. People act like they are better suited for fdny then the next guy bc they aren't afraid of heights... But those same people might freak out when they put an scba on... Or when they see fire for the first time.. Shouldn't wish ill will on anyone.. Regardless of the reason or situation..
    HopefulFF and I3akdraf like this.

Forum Member

Everyone is afraid of something in life, if someone tells you otherwise it's a lie. What will separate you from others is how you confront your fears and put them aside to get the job done.
    zachryw2001 and frankp88 like this.

Forum Member

No issues bro.. People act like they are better suited for fdny then the next guy bc they aren't afraid of heights... But those same people might freak out when they put an scba on... Or when they see fire for the first time.. Shouldn't wish ill will on anyone.. Regardless of the reason or situation..
    Never meant any disrespect, we are all after the same thing, so my comment was out of line, my fault.
    Test 2000
    List #: 57XX

Forum Member

Never meant any disrespect, we are all after the same thing, so my comment was out of line, my fault.
    We're cool. This is the point where we need to show the brotherhood.. If someone is lacking.. Offer to help, if someone has a problem offer a solution... "Let's go u got it" not " oh man I hope he screws up and fails". If we can't start now we won't in the academy

We're cool. This is the point where we need to show the brotherhood.. If someone is lacking.. Offer to help, if someone has a problem offer a solution... "Let's go u got it" not " oh man I hope he screws up and fails". If we can't start now we won't in the academy

I see that a little different from you. Only because this is still considered a competition I feel there's no brotherhood yet. Yeah, you can offer people advice and a little bit of help if they are lacking somewhere but there's people out there who's spot I would love to have. That's what makes me say, I hope people fail along the lines of this process. That's the whole point of a competitive list right? To see where others fail so that you can succeed. Now don't get me wrong, I don't wish you or anyone here the worst of the worst. But there's people who don't care about this job and those are the ones I would love to see fail. I know it sounds a little cutthroat and selfish but this is still considered a competition and I tend on playing to win.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    @Manhattan medic

Just curious when the EMS guys get the promotion to FF, do they basically let their EMT/Medic license expire or is there a way for them to keep them valid while working as a FF?
    As far as I'm aware once in the rank of firefighter the department is only going to spend time/effort/money keeping you certified at the CFR-D level. If you want to keep EMT/EMTP it's up to you to do that. Many do, since it can be a relatively good side job (it's something you know and are familiar with, the hospitals tend to pay well, per diem scheduling works well with the firehouse schedule). I plan on doing my best to never work as a medic again, though I may keep my certification for a while just in case I have to.

I see that a little different from you. Only because this is still considered a competition I feel there's no brotherhood yet. Yeah, you can offer people advice and a little bit of help if they are lacking somewhere but there's people out there who's spot I would love to have. That's what makes me say, I hope people fail along the lines of this process. That's the whole point of a competitive list right? To see where others fail so that you can succeed. Now don't get me wrong, I don't wish you or anyone here the worst of the worst. But there's people who don't care about this job and those are the ones I would love to see fail. I know it sounds a little cutthroat and selfish but this is still considered a competition and I tend on playing to win.
    I think the best you can do is hope that the people that truly want it (like yourself) and really put in the work for it make it through the process, and that the ones that don't want it or don't put the work in don't manage to make it through.

While its still entirely too early, if anyone is able to grab #s after the CPAT/medicals are done for #2500 I think that will be illustrative of what's to come. I'm sure there are plenty that will either fail 1 of those tests, or give up when the going gets tough.
    Last edited by Manhattan Medic; 10-28-2012 at 10:04 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    As far as I'm aware once in the rank of firefighter the department is only going to spend time/effort/money keeping you certified at the CFR-D level. If you want to keep EMT/EMTP it's up to you to do that. Many do, since it can be a relatively good side job (it's something you know and are familiar with, the hospitals tend to pay well, per diem scheduling works well with the firehouse schedule). I plan on doing my best to never work as a medic again, though I may keep my certification for a while just in case I have to.

Thanks. Just the answer I was looking for.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Thanks. Just the answer I was looking for.
    No problem, though I'd prefer if one of the guys OTJ could confirm that, because I'm not 100% sure. Given how much work it takes to keep up the CME hours for paramedics I can't imagine the department is trying doing any favors for firefighters that also have the certification... however they have also floated the idea of ALS engines in the past, so who knows.

Forum Member

Been reading these forums for a while, and I'm appreciative of all the helpful information everyone is sharing here.

But in regard to current events, you guys ready for 'Frankenstorm Sandy'? Hahaha.

Thread Information