Like Tree9605Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Thanks for the information.

Sorry to hear that MM. Just keep on truckin' brother.
    List 2000
    No points
    Score: 99
    #4XXX

Forum Member

*Double post*
    Last edited by snoozer1989; 01-15-2013 at 07:14 PM.
    List 2000
    No points
    Score: 99
    #4XXX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    1.5 miles in less than 12 minutes, at least 30 push ups, 30 sit ups in 1 minute, and at least 4 pull ups. Don't know about your second question.
    Congrats that you passed, you can fix the rest with time.

are the push ups and sit ups separate, or do you have to flip over and do the sit ups all in 1 min total?
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 01-15-2013 at 07:44 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

thanks for the info on insanity, i will probly get it just as an extra thing to do to mix up the workout and keep it interesting but not follow it everyday casue i will be running and doing stairs etc

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Congrats that you passed, you can fix the rest with time.

are the push ups and sit ups separate, or do you have to flip over and do the sit ups all in 1 min total?
    What? You do push ups, you must do at least 30, done do a cadence, though you are encouraged to be able to do more. Sit ups are a separate event, and you must do 30 in 1 minute. Sit ups are done by having your hands locked behind your head, elbows to knees and then head all the way back down, and yes your feet are held. It isolates your abs quite a bit more than the form I was taught and used in crossfit, so prepare for that.

Forum Member

What? You do push ups, you must do at least 30, done do a cadence, though you are encouraged to be able to do more. Sit ups are a separate event, and you must do 30 in 1 minute. Sit ups are done by having your hands locked behind your head, elbows to knees and then head all the way back down, and yes your feet are held. It isolates your abs quite a bit more than the form I was taught and used in crossfit, so prepare for that.
    Please don't blame CrossFit.
    Jukez likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    Please don't blame CrossFit.
    I'm absolutely not. I've got nothing but good things to say about that. Just an observation that style differences in how I practiced versus what's called for are probably why I was not prepared enough.

Forum Member

My old high school gym teacher used to tell us that a person who can't do 30 sit ups In a min is because his belly sticks out more than his chest lol. Jokes jokes. I'm only kidding medic I'm sure you will do just fine bro.

Forum Member

Sup guys. Hope everyone is doing fine so far in the academy. I started an EMT course today so I could hopefully get CFR-D cert and I also thought it would be a good skill to have in the upcoming fire fighter career. I asked the instructor if they would certify us on CFR-D and he had no clue what I was talking about. After I explained to him what CFR-D was, he then told me that I will be certified in operating a defibrillator and much more. Now, my question to you guys is, will FDNY take the cert that I will get from the EMT course, or do they specifically want the "CFR-D" cert?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post
    Sup guys. Hope everyone is doing fine so far in the academy. I started an EMT course today so I could hopefully get CFR-D cert and I also thought it would be a good skill to have in the upcoming fire fighter career. I asked the instructor if they would certify us on CFR-D and he had no clue what I was talking about. After I explained to him what CFR-D was, he then told me that I will be certified in operating a defibrillator and much more. Now, my question to you guys is, will FDNY take the cert that I will get from the EMT course, or do they specifically want the "CFR-D" cert?
    The way I understand it is that you will still have to train and pass it along with everyone else. You just won't have to pay for it again, as long as your EMT license is not expired. I did the same thing for 6019, however it is now expired.

Going in with the knowledge will give you less to have to worry about studying as well I suppose.

Edit: Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 01-15-2013 at 10:09 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. I was referring to being put in remedial, Assuming you are disappointed, you can prove your fitness later. not the end of the world, Just be glad to be in. Good luck.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

MembersZone Subscriber

Not for nothing, but they are called "sit-ups".
    They haven't changed in decades. Blaming the latest fad of workout isn't going to change that.
    Word of advice, lay off the internet during the week. Save the updates if you must for the weekends. A lot of information is going to be coming at you fast. Wasting time on here is time you can be spending in the books. (There's that pesky reading requirement the Vulcans claim isn't necessary.)

Hang tough.
    FDsouthbxNY and DJ_Reverse like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Ya gotta read back a few dozen pages. This has been addressed. These priority hire losers will be mixed into classes going forward. 3 of 5 hires will be those non-contributing-zeros. With any luck, the courts will see to it this doesn't occur.

You'll get hired when you get hired, that's the only solid info there is right now.
    Thanks for the informative answer.

So after looking at the 2500 list, it appears that there were 870 eligibles. And 318 of them were just sworn in the other day.

I would imagine that out of those 870 people only about 50% actually pass, but maybe somebody has more accurate numbers for the 2500 list attrition rate?

I'm also surprised that the 2500 list is so small. Only 870 people wanted promotion to FDNY? That is mind-blowing.
    FDNY exam 2000 score: 104

list number: 2xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by infolet333 View Post
    Thanks for the informative answer.

So after looking at the 2500 list, it appears that there were 870 eligibles. And 318 of them were just sworn in the other day.

I would imagine that out of those 870 people only about 50% actually pass, but maybe somebody has more accurate numbers for the 2500 list attrition rate?

I'm also surprised that the 2500 list is so small. Only 870 people wanted promotion to FDNY? That is mind-blowing.
    Believe it or not, there are people who don't want to be firefighters. The training to be a medic is long and intense and most people (not all) go through that course because they intend on making a full career out of EMS. EMS isn't here to staff FDNY with firefighters.

As for the numbers; I do not believe that all 870 were canvassed. Some weren't ready physically and some were short of the 2 year service requirement for promotion. From what I gather, they'll have enough to take a decent number of seats in the next class. I'm sure the job fully intends to hire every eligible person from the promotional list before they move on the Exam #2000. Between promotions and these affirmative action hires (which hopefully get rejected by the second circuit court) I don't think there will be a class comprised entirely of Exam #2000 candidates until Winter/Spring 2014. There will be some this summer and some in the class after that, but COMPLETELY the OC candidates, not for a while. Of course, if justice is ACTUALLY served and hiring goes in merit based rank order, that could change.
    ATFDFF and vekdoggs75 like this.

Forum Member

good luck to the guys in the academy now and congratulations. but a little advice, STOP posting on the firehouse forums if you cant do 30 sits ups. thats really pathetic that people are starting the FDNY acdemy and cannot meet those sub standard PT requirements, I bet the hundreds of guys who got screwed over with 6019 would have killed to be at the rock right now. 30 sit ups is not much to ask. the next post from you guys should be after your graduation day. not posting about remedial pt. yes that may sound harsh but its the truth. you guys have to keep in mind the thousands of people who would litterally give everything in thier lives to be at that academy.
    ChiliMaster likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier View Post
    good luck to the guys in the academy now and congratulations. but a little advice, STOP posting on the firehouse forums if you cant do 30 sits ups. thats really pathetic that people are starting the FDNY acdemy and cannot meet those sub standard PT requirements, I bet the hundreds of guys who got screwed over with 6019 would have killed to be at the rock right now. 30 sit ups is not much to ask. the next post from you guys should be after your graduation day. not posting about remedial pt. yes that may sound harsh but its the truth. you guys have to keep in mind the thousands of people who would litterally give everything in thier lives to be at that academy.
    you should listen to your own advice. I think you need to keep in mind that EMS people have given much in their lives to get to the academy regardless of how much they practiced their sit ups. they have put in their hard time for this city and as such, deserve respect regardless of what you think is "not too much to ask", especially since the city doesn't think that way, or remedial would not exist in the first place. Manhattan Medic has provided countless updates and invaluable information along the way, and I am sure that I am not the only one who thinks he should just "stop posting". If you think he doesn't have what it takes to be a ff, then you let him know, but dont disrespect his time already spent serving fdny, by being the tougher guy on the computer.
    vekdoggs75, knicksh2o and grok350 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier View Post
    Sit-ups are only part of the job. There are so many variations and techniques, I'd wager no one performs them the exact same way. Just from a physics standpoint, to be able to meet the minimum, you'd have to perform one sit up for every two second passed. That's up and down. So, up to your elbows and down to the small of your back or up to you knees and to the back of your head? It all takes time. Also naturally, a person with a longer torso will have to take more time to perform such a movemen. All relavtive, of course. I'm "in-shape" and struggle with sit-ups. There are many ways of measuring strength; sit-ups are just one of the out-dated measurements. After seeing many of MM's well-informed posts, sit-ups are probably his biggest and only problem. Good luck, MM. Though I know you won't need it
    Last edited by FDNYPD; 01-16-2013 at 04:10 PM.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 98
    List Number: 60**

Forum Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...sEnabled=false

Glad to see the city still has fight in it! Also heartening to see them denouncing the court appointed monitor till the appeal is ruled on.

Still cant believe Mark Cohen got appointed to this position, making hundreds of thousands a month at tax payers expense for a job that is completely useless. Oh yeah, I forgot he and Garaufis are old business partners.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...sEnabled=false

Glad to see the city still has fight in it! Also heartening to see them denouncing the court appointed monitor till the appeal is ruled on.

Still cant believe Mark Cohen got appointed to this position, making hundreds of thousands a month at tax payers expense for a job that is completely useless. Oh yeah, I forgot he and Garaufis are old business partners.
    I was just going to post this article - now the appeals decision is likely to come before the summer???? What the hell can they be waiting for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    I was just going to post this article - now the appeals decision is likely to come before the summer???? What the hell can they be waiting for?
    Not sure man, its frustrating. A year is a long @$$ time to wait for an appeal since it was filed. Hopefully, from the sounds of it the city might just put off hiring (or not hiring) the priority clowns until after the court rules. We'll know if they'll get in before us or at all in the next month or two when we see how high they get in the OC list.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

As much as I can't stand the priority hires, I really wish they just go in the academy already. The worse that happens is we lose 293 spots.

If the second circuit overrule judge *******, the worse that can happen will be 6019 again.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

It blows my mind that a) people don't meet the physical requirements for this and b) people are sticking up for them. 30 sit-ups in a minute is not hard. Especially when you've had a year plus to prep. Stop making excuses and get it done.
    Jocon31 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    As much as I can't stand the priority hires, I really wish they just go in the academy already. The worse that happens is we lose 293 spots.

If the second circuit overrule judge *******, the worse that can happen will be 6019 again.

It is SO, SO much more than just 293 spots. That's definitely not the worst thing that happens.
    DJ_Reverse likes this.

Forum Member

Default fdny academy

How is the FDNY ACADEMY COMPARED TO THE NYPD ACADEMY? I know there are plenty of guys that have done both

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post

Meaning 293 guys from the OC list who have a passion and would do anything for the job would not get it.
    DJ_Reverse likes this.
    Test 2000
    List #: 57XX

Thread Information