Like Tree9521Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #6376
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    okay i had this same concern(I was a vegan; will go back to it ). I think its like 1% of people will test positive if using hemp protein. It was enough for me not to use hemp knowing that I had FDNY drug test coming up. Even if the number was as low as 1 in 10,000, didnt want to chance it. I dont remember the exact number Im sure you can look it up with a simple google search.

    I did find something that taste great and doesnt seem to give me that bloated feeling. It uses soy and whey(im not thrilled about whey) but its pretty much as good as it gets at the price. http://bolthouse.com/product/proteinplusmango . You can find them at target. They cost less than 4 bucks for a 32oz bottle. I have 16oz a day. So for less than 2 bucks a day i get a pretty good protien shake.
    Try Protein from True nutrition, you can pick any source of protein that you want. Pea protein, hemp, whey, peanut ETC.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 01-22-2013 at 02:59 PM.
    mocon337 likes this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  2. #6377
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Center of the Universe
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    One week in. 5 probies Dropped. Boy is going to be a cold winter.
    Its a tough job, and it takes tough people to do it. Theres no way around that. Better to find out now when theyre just getting warmed up, rather than slip through the cracks for a while and get really f-ed up in a truly grueling evolution.

    Quote Originally Posted by john_smith1 View Post
    Question. When an EMT/Paramedic drops out of the academy, are they allowed to return to EMS or are they out of a job?

    On a latter note. Waiting on this packet in the mail is torture.
    EMS takes a leave of absence to come to the fire academy, rather than resig, so they may return to their EMS job.

    While they may not be forced to "burn their boats," as the previous Probie School CO used to suggest, it would benefit anyone and everyone to adopt the mindset.
    To Persist is to Conquer.

  3. #6378
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Try Protein from True nutrition, you can pick any source of protein that you want. Pea protein, hemp, whey, peanut ETC.
    To be honest, since I stopped with the hemp stuff after getting my # I haven't taken anything really. Just eat a big meal after a workout usually. It's garnered pretty much the same results, and at least you know what you're putting into your body. But no doubt that protein supplements speed recovery time, which is is most important when training for something like this.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

  4. #6379
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    To be honest, since I stopped with the hemp stuff after getting my # I haven't taken anything really. Just eat a big meal after a workout usually. It's garnered pretty much the same results, and at least you know what you're putting into your body. But no doubt that protein supplements speed recovery time, which is is most important when training for something like this.
    I agree, if you can eat whole foods all the time then thats even better. If you need top quality protein with no gimmicks personalized for you then truenutrion is the best. You can even copy another high priced product, use the same ingredients and get it for much cheaper. But at the risk of sounding redundant real food is better as I am sure we all have already heard.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 01-22-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  5. #6380
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I agree, if you can eat whole foods all the time then thats even better. If you need top quality protein with no gimmicks personalized for you then truenutrion is the best. You can even copy another high priced product, use the same ingredients and get it for much cheaper. But at the risk of sounding redundant real food is better as I am sure we all have already heard.
    Yea I just checked out the site. Pretty cool how you can make your own custom mix.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

  6. #6381
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    No answer key, is this standard procedure with PSI? I would think that could be a good place to start. If PSI normally puts out an answer key, but for this test they aren't, there's obviously an inconsistency there. If this is how PSI operates though, that could be a problem.
    Irregardless if they do or don't, we need to know how the exam was scored. If they can't well then they are causing more issue than solving.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

  7. #6382
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    25

    Default

    ...........
    Last edited by Ladders 4; 01-23-2013 at 08:46 AM.

  8. #6383
    Forum Member
    nyckftbl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    On a Hill, overlooking George's Kingdom
    Posts
    2,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladders 4 View Post
    No. It sounds like according you YOUR agenda, YOU feel the need to know because your not satisfied with YOUR results.

    lolwut? .
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

  9. #6384
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    Irregardless if they do or don't, we need to know how the exam was scored. If they can't well then they are causing more issue than solving.

    We do need to know, but unfortunately that's not irrelevant information. PSI tests have been upheld in court, so if this is standard procedure for them that could pose a problem for us. Hopefully that's not the case though, I haven't looked that closely in to how PSI operates to say either way.

  10. #6385
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    506

    Default

    [QUOTE=DJ_Reverse;1354768]Irregardless if they do or don't, we need to know how the exam was

    Its real simple.

    Did you go to the protest session?

    If you did you would have had all of the answers laid out in front of you, if you didn't, you should've.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

  11. #6386
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    [QUOTE=GIMMEFIRE600;1354786]
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    Irregardless if they do or don't, we need to know how the exam was

    Its real simple.

    Did you go to the protest session?

    If you did you would have had all of the answers laid out in front of you, if you didn't, you should've.
    I wish you guys luck, but I don't see anything coming of all this protest stuff. As Gimmefire just said, the answers were all laid out during the protest sessions. I don't agree with the way the exam was laid out, but that's the one we were given and volunteered to take.

  12. #6387
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    We do need to know, but unfortunately that's not irrelevant information. PSI tests have been upheld in court, so if this is standard procedure for them that could pose a problem for us. Hopefully that's not the case though, I haven't looked that closely in to how PSI operates to say either way.
    Problem is how they scored those said answers and more importantly racial breakdown of each exam question and each exam. PSI cases have been held up in court because few have challenged them on this scale and most of the time PSI itself has used smaller fire departments that put more emphasis on the individual phases where the likelihood of a potential hire is greater of being washed out. Don't kid yourself I took a PSI test for a private company once and not only was not grade given but not answer key or even E-Mail was sent explaining how they scored me based on other potential hires.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    lolwut? .
    Yeah I saw his reply, in reality I along with many, many other candidates are not satisfied with the test itself and this goes across all lines. Women, minorities, and foreigners have a right to know the correct answers and the correct point breakdown of each question or their weights in test jargon.

    [QUOTE=vekdoggs75;1354789]
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post

    I wish you guys luck, but I don't see anything coming of all this protest stuff. As Gimmefire just said, the answers were all laid out during the protest sessions. I don't agree with the way the exam was laid out, but that's the one we were given and volunteered to take.
    The answers were laid out for you to protest but does not give you if they were overturned or not or their point breakdown/racial breakdown, answer key before they were released. If they did an answer key on the fly or as they say algorythm to leave an open ended answer to correctly control the question, then we can honestly say this test was tainted and that it does little to quell a racial bias the city has except instead of black and hispanics it's everyone else.

  13. #6388
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    19

    Default

    The judge has already ruled on hiring off the test. Any protests will fall on deaf ears.

  14. #6389
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    528

    Default

    [QUOTE=DJ_Reverse;1354809]Problem is how they scored those said answers and more importantly racial breakdown of each exam question and each exam. PSI cases have been held up in court because few have challenged them on this scale and most of the time PSI itself has used smaller fire departments that put more emphasis on the individual phases where the likelihood of a potential hire is greater of being washed out. Don't kid yourself I took a PSI test for a private company once and not only was not grade given but not answer key or even E-Mail was sent explaining how they scored me based on other potential hires.



    Yeah I saw his reply, in reality I along with many, many other candidates are not satisfied with the test itself and this goes across all lines. Women, minorities, and foreigners have a right to know the correct answers and the correct point breakdown of each question or their weights in test jargon.

    Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post

    The answers were laid out for you to protest but does not give you if they were overturned or not or their point breakdown/racial breakdown, answer key before they were released. If they did an answer key on the fly or as they say algorythm to leave an open ended answer to correctly control the question, then we can honestly say this test was tainted and that it does little to quell a racial bias the city has except instead of black and hispanics it's everyone else.
    You are 100% correct to demand some sort of accounting of the test scores. There does seem to be some funny business in that regard. I would seek some legal counsel as well. Sue for the information, that right is available to you just as it was available to the Vulcans.

  15. #6390
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    506

    Default

    DJ Reverse, hope you've got a nice bank roll for those legal fee's. Maybe fdsouthbxny will chip in.

    I understand your skepticism, but all this info was laid out in a court doc, which you can purchase for a few bucks. Should be around September 25, 2012.

    I too think the test was manipulated but not because PSI "fabricated" correct answers that really weren't correct because more minorities chose those answers. That is what you're implying, no?

    The test was manipulated by the fact that you have thousands of people with the same score. Fair? Not really. So is life.

  16. #6391
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    DJ Reverse, hope you've got a nice bank roll for those legal fee's. Maybe fdsouthbxny will chip in.

    I understand your skepticism, but all this info was laid out in a court doc, which you can purchase for a few bucks. Should be around September 25, 2012.

    I too think the test was manipulated but not because PSI "fabricated" correct answers that really weren't correct because more minorities chose those answers. That is what you're implying, no?

    The test was manipulated by the fact that you have thousands of people with the same score. Fair? Not really. So is life.
    This is my exact point of view. This is exactly what they wanted out of this test. Have a bunch of people from all races and colors to have the same score and using what ever SS# number method they have to adjust the list so no one could come out and say "the test was racist". Everyone will always have things to complain about. If is not about the test itself it will be about the physical, just like it happened when the female firefighters had that lawsuit that the physical only benefited male applicants.

  17. #6392
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    474

    Default

    iam surprised noone on the OC list heard anything yet. my #is 2** and everyday my landlady brings in the mail...nothing. I think they must be waiting for the whole EMT list as well as the priority hires for the summer class.

  18. #6393
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    19

    Default

    They just put the first class into the academy in 4 years a week and a half ago. Im sure they are just getting their ducks in a row. Top 50 list #, still hoping and feeling confident for the last days in january/ real early february.

  19. #6394
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    DJ Reverse, hope you've got a nice bank roll for those legal fee's. Maybe fdsouthbxny will chip in.

    I understand your skepticism, but all this info was laid out in a court doc, which you can purchase for a few bucks. Should be around September 25, 2012.

    I too think the test was manipulated but not because PSI "fabricated" correct answers that really weren't correct because more minorities chose those answers. That is what you're implying, no?

    The test was manipulated by the fact that you have thousands of people with the same score. Fair? Not really. So is life.
    Weren't you the same gentleman that was angered when others said that 6019 was dead and it is time to move on. I did invite you to our meeting back in June of this year and I'm laughing because I want a proactive approach to this.

    Sure you can disagree but I have to be honest and foward thinking and you have not answered my question on how they arrived at how each question was graded, the breakdown of who took each version of the test, how questions were weighted, and what was the key or algorythm used. If you're fearful due to this might be delaying you're process, then that I can understand but sadly we must do what is right for the entire department both candidates, probies, and senior men. This test screams manipulation on numerous levels and this test was put forth but a public entity, the City of New York. With that in mind I want to know the ins and outs of this test as a US citizen I am entitlted to it. Plus what scares me even more is that the test had 6 versions but every candidates I talked to only had taken 1-4; where did the other two come from? What was the scoring and weight used, how they get to whole numbers on a partial credit?

    I also want to give you advice. I only know you from this board, but you're attitude to you're fellow candidates, the men on the job, and those ahead or behind you must change. Take this as free advice but if you want to be respected on the job, you must give respect first. You're IGM or I've Got Mine attitude will not be tolerated in any fire department let alone the FDNY and will cause more problems for you especially in a team first environment.

    Best of luck.

    PS You don't need to have legal fees just really good connections.
    Last edited by DJ_Reverse; 01-23-2013 at 02:39 PM.
    ffbam24 and FDsouthbxNY like this.

  20. #6395
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    Weren't you the same gentleman that was angered when others said that 6019 was dead and it is time to move on. I did invite you to our meeting back in June of this year and I'm laughing because I want a proactive approach to this.

    Sure you can disagree but I have to be honest and foward thinking and you have not answered my question on how they arrived at how each question was graded, the breakdown of who took each version of the test, how questions were weighted, and what was the key or algorythm used. If you're fearful due to this might be delaying you're process, then that I can understand but sadly we must do what is right for the entire department both candidates, probies, and senior men. This test screams manipulation on numerous levels and this test was put forth but a public entity, the City of New York. With that in mind I want to know the ins and outs of this test as a US citizen I am entitlted to it. Plus what scares me even more is that the test had 6 versions but every candidates I talked to only had taken 1-4; where did the other two come from? What was the scoring and weight used, how they get to whole numbers on a partial credit?

    I also want to give you advice. I only know you from this board, but you're attitude to you're fellow candidates, the men on the job, and those ahead or behind you must change. Take this as free advice but if you want to be respected on the job, you must give respect first. You're IGM or I've Got Mine attitude will not be tolerated in any fire department let alone the FDNY and will cause more problems for you especially in a team first environment.

    Best of luck.

    PS You don't need to have legal fees just really good connections.
    Screw connections, you have to have a case. There is no case, ask the firm connected to merit matters they'll tell you.

    My advice to you is to do your own research instead of having others do it for you.

    READ THE COURT DOCUMENTS! ALL OF THE ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS ARE IN PRINT! DIRECTLY FROM THE SOURCE, PSI.

    PS seems like you post on every thread on this board, and still can't get somebody to hire you. Makes ya wonder.
    Last edited by GIMMEFIRE600; 01-23-2013 at 02:52 PM.

  21. #6396
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john_smith1 View Post
    They just put the first class into the academy in 4 years a week and a half ago. Im sure they are just getting their ducks in a row. Top 50 list #, still hoping and feeling confident for the last days in january/ real early february.
    All just speculation, but I think that if the first few hundred on the OC don't hear in the next week or two, it could be a few months. I only say that because if they don't start processing OC's really soon after the Promo class started, I imagine it's for a reason (that reason being they'll wait and see how the process with the priority hires shakes out).
    knicksh2o likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

  22. #6397
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    All just speculation, but I think that if the first few hundred on the OC don't hear in the next week or two, it could be a few months. I only say that because if they don't start processing OC's really soon after the Promo class started, I imagine it's for a reason (that reason being they'll wait and see how the process with the priority hires shakes out).
    Yes but the priority hires is 2 out of every 5 or whatever the number may be. They aren't going to back track themselves just waiting for these 293 people. I believe when they're ready they will just fill them in. Either way id rather be optimistic instead of pessimistic. They usually process roughly 900 people for a class or some kind of number like that. They need to start processing OC people.

  23. #6398
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john_smith1 View Post
    Yes but the priority hires is 2 out of every 5 or whatever the number may be. They aren't going to back track themselves just waiting for these 293 people. I believe when they're ready they will just fill them in. Either way id rather be optimistic instead of pessimistic. They usually process roughly 900 people for a class or some kind of number like that. They need to start processing OC people.
    Yeah - good point. I'm just trying to find ways to convince myself to stop waiting outside for the mailman like a rabid pit bull.
    coldblood92 likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

  24. #6399
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,242

    Default

    they should throw out the last part of the test. I doubt that part holds much legal weight. I bet if the last part was thrown out, lots of people( not all) at the top would be moved to the bottom because they had poor test taking skills and lying on the last part of the test greatly benefited them, as it was meant to.
    Dannypanigale likes this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  25. #6400
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    they should throw out the last part of the test. I doubt that part holds much legal weight. I bet if the last part was thrown out, lots of people( not all) at the top would be moved to the bottom because they had poor test taking skills and lying on the last part of the test greatly benefited them, as it was meant to.
    i dont understand the statement? and iam not disagreeing or agreeing with you. but are you sayig that liars have poor test taking skills? i just dont see how the two negative attributes are connected,

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 26 users browsing this thread. (6 members and 20 guests)

  1. DSNY2FDNY,
  2. john_casey,
  3. SI91,
  4. SirEd,
  5. snoozer1989

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 12:13 PM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register