Like Tree11258Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #6451
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    198

    Default

    First, DJ seems to be looking for information at this point. It sounds like he's basically looking for things like how they weighted each question, how they decided on protests and so on. That's isn't exactly a controversial thing, considering that our scores for 6019 came with an answer key and indicated the value of each question.

    As far as 2000 goes, I feel it was a more fair test than 6019. The first section of 6019 was matching numbers to numbers, essentially. I suspect a 1st grader could have been successful on that portion. And the famous 'chili' type questions, in my opinion, are not much different from the 'personality' questions on 2000. And to note, I did well on both exams.

    Obviously, emotions are going to be strong when it comes to this exam and hiring prospects. People have been waiting a long time to get hired. And naturally, they would like to avoid a repeat of what occurred over the last six years. Its not unusual for people to be upset that they didnt do as well as expected on this exam and to want solid answers as to why. It's not unusual for people to be suspicious of the exam, after everything they've been through. It's also not unusual for people to take offense to the suggestion that they lied or that they were lucky in getting the results they did, when they did their best to prepare.

    I have never thought much about the type or content of the exams we've taken. I knew I had to do my best with whatever was put before me and that was my focus. Now, do I think the quality of entrance exam has decreased? Sure. But, mainly, because there is no longer a weighted physical agility test. A pass - fail CPAT isn't exactly competitive.

    As far as studying for 2000 goes, I did not study for the personality portion, mainly because I used an old LA County Fire entrance exam guide made by PSI. That guide essentially advised against studying for the personality portion. I never went to the Vulcan preparatory course and only briefly saw the guide they used. The questions in their guide were available in a prep guide created by a company called Don McNea fire school.

    It's also important to remember that everyone has different interests in mind. The people already on the job have different interests than we do, just as merit matters has different interests than we do. I may be mistaken, but those groups aren't exactly concerned with us getting hired. Others want to ensure they were treated fairly with exam 2000. And all of us here are concerned with getting hired. These things are not surprising.

    As far as the cream NOT rising to the top, I feel that remains to be seen. From the sounds of it, the hiring process is still as it was. It also sounds like you'll have to put in the work at the academy to succeed, as always. Its also important to remember, people wanting this job have to meet minimum standards, not maximum. There will be people who give it all they have and those that are content to meet the required standards. That's common to life in general.

    I dont like it when I hear that it's like any other job. Or that its not that dangerous. It is dangerous, some situations less than others, but still, it is. This isn't going to the office. Firefighting is a job, that deals with a variety of emergencies, requiring a person to know about many different situations and to develop a variety of skills, including those of a medical nature, to handle emergencies that could be and are, life threatening to civilians and firefighters alike. And that doesn't matter if your company responds 3 times a day or 20 times, each and every response has the potential to cause harm to someone. However, that is my opinion and others see it differently.

    As of now, remember, the results of the exam were approved by the court. The scores are what they are. 2500 was establish and is being used. 2000 has been published and likely, will be established and people will be hired. That could change. I don't think thats likely, but I didn't think I'd still be here, waiting, six years later. You just never know. Also, the results of the appeal are yet to arrive. As history has shown, circumstances can change.

    I've come to realize that life is not fair and there are no certainties or guarantees. All I can do is prepare to the best of my ability, to put out maximum effort and do try to do what I think is right. It is possible I will do those things and it still may not work out. But, I tend to believe that if I do those things, if I take care of business, the odds will be in my favor. Maybe not always, but most of the time. And as far as hiring goes, until I'm actually at the academy, sworn in and participating, I won't believe it. As much as I believe it's virtually certain, it isn't. The important thing is to not lose hope. Recognize the situation, acknowledge it, but never lose hope. Never stop moving forward.

    Good luck to all of you and I hope you all are successful in your endeavors.
    Last edited by Minerva; 01-24-2013 at 08:56 PM.
    mocon337 and anapolitano89 like this.

  2. #6452
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Once I get a hold of the paper he was sent, I will post it. From what I remember from it was that they are expecting at least 140 priority hire will be place in the next class late June early July. It also contain a list of document that they should be getting together. But again I will try to post it to night once he email me them.
    OAK likes this.

  3. #6453
    OAK
    OAK is offline
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whymetoo View Post
    Once I get a hold of the paper he was sent, I will post it. From what I remember from it was that they are expecting at least 140 priority hire will be place in the next class late June early July. It also contain a list of document that they should be getting together. But again I will try to post it to night once he email me them.
    Despite the news, I think we all appreciate the info. Keep it coming.
    I3akdraf likes this.

  4. #6454
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whymetoo View Post
    Once I get a hold of the paper he was sent, I will post it. From what I remember from it was that they are expecting at least 140 priority hire will be place in the next class late June early July. It also contain a list of document that they should be getting together. But again I will try to post it to night once he email me them.
    Kind of confused by that. My understanding of 2 out of 5 is that 2 will come off that list and 3 from OC. How would it lead to 140 right off the bat. I onviosuly understand your jst spitballing a number but i would think it would be like 30-40 people each class or first few.

  5. #6455
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whymetoo View Post
    Actually he took the test just to see if he would pass it. He did 99, but he work for correction for 8 years. He don't what the fdny job, he took the $189,000 they gave him and is moving on.
    Thanks for passing along the information, but this story has a few holes in it. If he took the test, passed and did not take the job, he'd be entitled to nothing, certainly not a figure close to 200,000 dollars. Second, seeing as this issue is being reviewed by an appellate court, no money has been handed to anyone.

  6. #6456
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john_smith1 View Post
    Kind of confused by that. My understanding of 2 out of 5 is that 2 will come off that list and 3 from OC. How would it lead to 140 right off the bat. I onviosuly understand your jst spitballing a number but i would think it would be like 30-40 people each class or first few.

    To make #s simple, if the next class is 320, and 100 spots are for EMS that leaves 220 spots. 220/5=44. 44x2 black applicants=88, 44 latino, is 132.


    That would leave 88 spots for OC.

  7. #6457
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john_smith1 View Post
    Kind of confused by that. My understanding of 2 out of 5 is that 2 will come off that list and 3 from OC. How would it lead to 140 right off the bat. I onviosuly understand your jst spitballing a number but i would think it would be like 30-40 people each class or first few.
    It's 2 Black and 1 Hispanic out of every five hires, so 3 off of the priority list and 2 off the OC. That would mean in a class of 320, about 190 would be priority hires. I would assume the reason that they are only expecting 140 is due to the remaining emts off of 2500.
    20xx

  8. #6458
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    You know what guys Bam is right. DJreverse is fighting for all of us candidates, guys on the job, emts, every man woman and child that calls the streets of NYC home. Your mother, you father, your sister, your auntie, even your granny. Yes fellas, thats why he fights for the cause, not because his list number is 9600.

    Isn't it funny how the guy that loses is always the one that demands a recount.

    And ya know what, maybe theres nothing wrong with that, but don't tell me he's doing it for me.

    (FYI, Bam DJ never even posted in the 6019 thread and from the looks of it, he never even took it. So much for doing the right thing by 6019).
    I got news for you, guy. You want this job, this job doesn't need you. What this job needs is a pool of qualified candidates with good attitudes. The testing process is the first line in establishing that pool, so knowing how it was scored, or how the scoring was engineered to achieve the racial balance the courts demanded is important information. That sham test you just took was a shade more legit than a lottery. Giving equal points for opinion questions? Asking how many friends you have? How many times a day you say thank you? It's complete bulls#%t and you know it. It just so happens you got lucky and scored well (or so we assume, no shed no light on your list number) and you want hiring to proceed as quickly as possible. You have an "I got mine" attitude, the kind of attitude that makes a terrible member of the firehouse, a total hairbag. Why don't you come on over to the next Merit Matters meeting, it's at St. Luke's Church on 138th st in the Bronx. You should stand up and announce to us all that you think we're wasting our time caring about the future of this job and just move on, let the hiring process go forward. Really, go ahead and see how that goes over.....you got so much to say, come do it in person.


    To the rest of you, this process is flawed, the test is flawed and the results could mean a 40+ year old gets the job over you. It means we get less qualified candidates and the job suffers. For most of us, this isn't just a job, it's a true calling and a lifestyle. It doesn't end when your tour is over. The people I work with are truly my brothers and sisters and I want nothing more than to that spirit continue, to continue to make this a place I want my son to work and so on......

    ......or I could just roll over, say,"we'll, I'm on this job already, so f%#k the rest of'em". For everyone who has that attitude, the "just accept it" attitude, take a cue from Lt. "Crazy" Pete at the rock.....

    ....as he would say, "how about a nice cup of shut the f#ck up".

  9. #6459
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    198

    Default

    I believe the ratio for priority hiring is 3 of every 5 (2 black candidates, 1 Hispanic candidate) candidates must come from the priority hire list until they have hired 293.

    If I did my math correctly, in theory, for a class of 320 candidates, it would work out to be 192 people from the priority hire list. That would leave 128 spots for EMS promotional candidate and/or open competitive lists. Believe it or not, I think the people on the priority hiring list have priority over the EMS promotional candidates too.

    That's simply an estimate based on numbers for priority hiring, from the court and the number hired for the current class. It means nothing, other than I was curious.
    Last edited by Minerva; 01-24-2013 at 08:20 PM.

  10. #6460
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    I got news for you, guy. You want this job, this job doesn't need you. What this job needs is a pool of qualified candidates with good attitudes. The testing process is the first line in establishing that pool, so knowing how it was scored, or how the scoring was engineered to achieve the racial balance the courts demanded is important information. That sham test you just took was a shade more legit than a lottery. Giving equal points for opinion questions? Asking how many friends you have? How many times a day you say thank you? It's complete bulls#%t and you know it. It just so happens you got lucky and scored well (or so we assume, no shed no light on your list number) and you want hiring to proceed as quickly as possible. You have an "I got mine" attitude, the kind of attitude that makes a terrible member of the firehouse, a total hairbag. Why don't you come on over to the next Merit Matters meeting, it's at St. Luke's Church on 138th st in the Bronx. You should stand up and announce to us all that you think we're wasting our time caring about the future of this job and just move on, let the hiring process go forward. Really, go ahead and see how that goes over.....you got so much to say, come do it in person.


    To the rest of you, this process is flawed, the test is flawed and the results could mean a 40+ year old gets the job over you. It means we get less qualified candidates and the job suffers. For most of us, this isn't just a job, it's a true calling and a lifestyle. It doesn't end when your tour is over. The people I work with are truly my brothers and sisters and I want nothing more than to that spirit continue, to continue to make this a place I want my son to work and so on......

    ......or I could just roll over, say,"we'll, I'm on this job already, so f%#k the rest of'em". For everyone who has that attitude, the "just accept it" attitude, take a cue from Lt. "Crazy" Pete at the rock.....

    ....as he would say, "how about a nice cup of shut the f#ck up".
    So you trying to tell us that if you were in our shoes you were to turn down the job if it was you in our position right now right?

    I understand guys OTJ want to keep the value of the job but we as candidates also want to get hired. I been waiting to get on the job since I took the 6019 test. I don't want to be on my 30's still persuing this career when I should have been 21 OTJ already. Although I don't agree with the test format I will NOT turn down the job because of it.
    grok350 likes this.

  11. #6461
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Thanks for passing along the information, but this story has a few holes in it. If he took the test, passed and did not take the job, he'd be entitled to nothing, certainly not a figure close to 200,000 dollars. Second, seeing as this issue is being reviewed by an appellate court, no money has been handed to anyone.
    I can only go by what I was told. you don't have to take the job to receive a pay out. It stated that in the court order so I know my friend is not lying. A check was not giving to him just information of what his pay out will be.

    Cash awards of back pay to make up for wages and benefits lost due to discrimination
    Consideration for a job offer to become an FDNY firefighter (must meet all current minimum job qualifications, except the age requirement)
    Seniority to current FDNY firefighters and those hired as a result of this lawsuit
    Black applicants may also receive compensatory damages (which are separate from back pay) under certain conditions

    Finally, the City will pay priority hire claimants their retroactively higher salary and provide them with retroactive seniority on the date of their admission to the Fire Academy.
    Claimants do not need to seek priority hiring relief in order to be eligible for an award of back pay and (for black Claimants) compensatory damages for noneconomic harms.

    I also believe him about the money, they are giving these guy back pay from the time they took the test. Some took it in 2003 for test 7029
    and 2006 for test 2043. That 10 year of back pay plus interest.

    Ref: From court order
    This amount excludes the value of back pay and prejudgment interest that began to accrue on January 1, 2011, and will continue to accrue through the date when the priority hires have joined the FDNY. Once the priority hires have joined the FDNY, the parties may move for a finding as to the additional aggregate wage loss suffered from the end of 2010 to the date the priority hires joined the FDNY (the date that the loss will no longer accrue). (Dkt. 825 at 46 n. 12.) This amount also excludes the value of fringe benefits, which the court indicated should be calculated based on unreimbursed expenses actually incurred by Claimants. (Id. at 39-40.) The court set forth the parameters for the calculation of fringe benefits in its August 22, 2012, Memorandum & Order. (Dkt. 952.)

  12. #6462
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    So you trying to tell us that if you were in our shoes you were to turn down the job if it was you in our position right now right?

    I understand guys OTJ want to keep the value of the job but we as candidates also want to get hired. I been waiting to get on the job since I took the 6019 test. I don't want to be on my 30's still persuing this career when I should have been 21 OTJ already. Although I don't agree with the test format I will NOT turn down the job because of it.
    No no no, I'm not suggesting anyone should turn down the job, should it come up. All of you guys who are high on the list need to keep working hard and preparing. What I do read here from some and is upsetting is that guys in early hiring range just want us all to accept the order and move on. Guys are worried that someone causing a stink and making accusations could lead to a hiring delay. That's the "I got mine attitude", it doesn't fly in the firehouse.

    When your number comes up, be ready and take the job, I'm in no way suggesting that you pass it up. What I am saying is, don't ever stop asking questions about the process. Asking questions and seeking transparency is key to preserving merit.
    Last edited by FDsouthbxNY; 01-24-2013 at 10:37 PM.

  13. #6463
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    I wouldn't say the test was easy. I mean realistically I only scored a 95. If I wasn't a vet and resident there is no way I would fall within the hiring range. I think that's something we need to remember there were not many perfect scores and without those points the list would probly be completely different. My point is plenty of these people wrote a better test and won't be hired.
    It means that if you were lucky to live in the city then you get the points and you move on. The saddest part is that is why departments fail. Just ask the NYPD, LAPD, CPD, MPDC, and numerous other departments that were forced to change hiring standards to appeal to a broader group and look what has happened to their reputations.

    Really this test was about luck if you had the points you are lucky, if not you're screwed. Fine but I do demand transperancy because without that it sets a precedent for your future tests like promotionals and special assignments.
    ffbam24 and FDsouthbxNY like this.

  14. #6464
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    It means that if you were lucky to live in the city then you get the points and you move on. The saddest part is that is why departments fail. Just ask the NYPD, LAPD, CPD, MPDC, and numerous other departments that were forced to change hiring standards to appeal to a broader group and look what has happened to their reputations.

    Really this test was about luck if you had the points you are lucky, if not you're screwed. Fine but I do demand transperancy because without that it sets a precedent for your future tests like promotionals and special assignments.
    What a joke!

    Were those extra points or "lucky points" in place before you took the exam? Did you not read about them on the notice of examination or did this topic of bonus points just come up now? Have these points not been in place for two decades when bam and southbx took the exam? You would have had plenty of time to cause a stir about them then but after your list number is 9600 you decide now that these points are "lucky points."

    I guess those vets and disabled vets were just lucky too. Lucky to have fought in a war. Lucky enough to come back with an injury.

    Better yet those guys with legacy credits are the luckiest yet. Lucky enough to lose a parent or sibling.

    BTW, being that you've tested pretty much everywhere in the US, have you taken the BFD test? Guess the fact that they choose all residents (regardless of score) before non-residents makes those people lucky too and BFD a "failure of a department."
    Last edited by GIMMEFIRE600; 01-25-2013 at 07:43 AM.

  15. #6465
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    I don't think the " I want mine" attitude is wrong here. Quite frankly, even though we are all friends here helping 1 another..we are all competition. The attitude doesn't fly in the firehouse, which it shouldn't. But, you guys and girls already got "yours". You are already on the job. We are not. Some of us had to wait years for a re-test, some of us, this test was our last chance due to the age limit, some of us are putting our family and life on hold while we wait...some of you are moving your family all over the place... Was the test the best test possible for a civil service job? Not really. Does the test mirror other fire depts tests? Yes. Does it mirror the questions asked for most other entry level jobs? Yes.

    I'm here to be a firefighter in the city of New York. The test is the process. Are you able to pass the CPAT? Are you able to pass the medical, able to keep a clean nose? Able to pass the academy?

    I have the utmost confidence in the instructors and staff at the Rock. That will be the test. The reputation you build there will follow you through your career.

    In the army whenever our unit would get the raw deal, we would ask why us? How come we don't get a break? We've been on missions for 24 hours why not then? And our platoon sgt said "worry about your piece of the pie, that's the only thing that matters and the only thing you can control"
    Perpetration for the ultimate goal is each persons individual piece of the pie. I will worry about doing my mission so that I can be an valued member of the team. I got screwed 1000 spots because of my social.. I'm not complaining, I knew about it, I took the chance just like everyone else. I knew it would be a personality test.. Just like everyone else. I prepared myself for failure... Bc these types of tests are hit or miss. Fortunately I am in a hirable range.

    That is all...

  16. #6466
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    It means that if you were lucky to live in the city then you get the points and you move on. The saddest part is that is why departments fail. Just ask the NYPD, LAPD, CPD, MPDC, and numerous other departments that were forced to change hiring standards to appeal to a broader group and look what has happened to their reputations.

    Really this test was about luck if you had the points you are lucky, if not you're screwed. Fine but I do demand transperancy because without that it sets a precedent for your future tests like promotionals and special assignments.
    Seriously? Haha. You and the vulcans are starting to sound alike. Everyone here knew exactly what the test was all about and how much those extra points were going to make the difference. We all had access to the same study materials. Pretty much everyone that has been posting on this forum for a while now have decent list numbers if not some of the best list numbers except for you and a couple others. Obviously we saw something in the test you didn't. Go demand some transparency, while you do that I'll be waiting for my packet by the summer for the second time in 6 years.
    GIMMEFIRE600 and grok350 like this.

  17. #6467
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    It means that if you were lucky to live in the city then you get the points and you move on. The saddest part is that is why departments fail. Just ask the NYPD, LAPD, CPD, MPDC, and numerous other departments that were forced to change hiring standards to appeal to a broader group and look what has happened to their reputations.

    Really this test was about luck if you had the points you are lucky, if not you're screwed. Fine but I do demand transperancy because without that it sets a precedent for your future tests like promotionals and special assignments.
    How are you lucky to of lived in the city ? Everyone knew how important extra points were and the residency credits were the easiest way to get those points. Getting those points weren't luck, it's a personal choice. Each and every one of us has the option of moving to NYC and either we did or we didn't, it's not luck. And if you wanted this job bad enough you would have made the move. If a city environment isn't your place there are plenty of suburban neighborhoods within the 5 boroughs, Howard Beach, Whitestone, Bayside, Little Neck just to name a few. I agree with you this entire exam needs more transparency but saying that getting residency points is luck is just a cop out because you didn't want to move to the city.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

  18. #6468
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Really? You're going to twist his words around to make it seem like he's saying that about the vets and legacy candidates?
    This was about luck. There is a template in place with the answer key that skews the scores to what they are. Specifically those with residency points IMO so as a certain demographic would score higher. And every single one of you is a victim as well as this department.
    FDsouthbxNY and BrooklynBorn like this.

  19. #6469
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Coming here to check on you knuckleheads and all I find is bitterness and arguing. Boy how things have changed...

  20. #6470
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    This was about luck. There is a template in place with the answer key that skews the scores to what they are. Specifically those with residency points IMO so as a certain demographic would score higher.
    After saying there is a "template in place," you then say "in my opinion."

    Which is it? Is it your opinion?

    Or do you have proof?

    You as well as anybody who knows anything about whats been going on, knows that one could easily argue this has been the most transparent process in the FDNY's history thus far solely due to the lawsuit. Everything you want to know about the entire process has been argued in court and is in numerous court documents. From bonus points to, age limits, to residency deadlines, testing sites, to scoring of examinations.

    What more could you ask for? Its all in writing for all to see.

    pacer.gov

  21. #6471
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    they should throw out the last part of the test. I doubt that part holds much legal weight. I bet if the last part was thrown out, lots of people( not all) at the top would be moved to the bottom because they had poor test taking skills and lying on the last part of the test greatly benefited them, as it was meant to.
    Yes, all us veterans that are at the top of the list should be moved to the bottom because we were all lying...

  22. #6472
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    What a joke!

    Were those extra points or "lucky points" in place before you took the exam? Did you not read about them on the notice of examination or did this topic of bonus points just come up now? Have these points not been in place for two decades when bam and southbx took the exam? You would have had plenty of time to cause a stir about them then but after your list number is 9600 you decide now that these points are "lucky points."

    I guess those vets and disabled vets were just lucky too. Lucky to have fought in a war. Lucky enough to come back with an injury.

    Better yet those guys with legacy credits are the luckiest yet. Lucky enough to lose a parent or sibling.

    BTW, being that you've tested pretty much everywhere in the US, have you taken the BFD test? Guess the fact that they choose all residents (regardless of score) before non-residents makes those people lucky too and BFD a "failure of a department."
    Actually only said that about city and in reality most of us would have had the same score if it were not for those points so the insults calling me dumb or stupid need to be thrown aside. This test was made easy for everyone with the points being the main separator and that is why the team won't rise to the top unless they live in New York City. Also Buffalo DOES NOT allow anyone from outside the city limits to test. (Most departments that are having this issue are doing the same) Meaning if you don't live in Buffalo you cannot be offered a job. Personally after this test I'd be ok with that for the FDNY as well since really the only separation between hiring and not is those 5 points unlike previous test where it really was your score with the 5 points adjusting you're hiring position. It would stop candidates from across the country paying large sums of money for almost no chance in the first place.

    Also more importantly this is the first time the FDNY is requiring a 1 year limit to prove residency. The kicker here folks, if you cannot and if they are as strict as they are saying then you will have some candidates be moved from hiring to being nowhere near this list. Unlike previous exams where it was 30 days, something that is easier to fraud, now you really need to have your records straight. This is going to be one of the biggest list movers and shakers actually.

    Also I'm all for Veteran and Legacy credits, all for it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Seriously? Haha. You and the vulcans are starting to sound alike. Everyone here knew exactly what the test was all about and how much those extra points were going to make the difference. We all had access to the same study materials. Pretty much everyone that has been posting on this forum for a while now have decent list numbers if not some of the best list numbers except for you and a couple others. Obviously we saw something in the test you didn't. Go demand some transparency, while you do that I'll be waiting for my packet by the summer for the second time in 6 years.
    Insulting me does little to deter and only enthralls me more to get that transperancy for all of us. And hey best of luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    How are you lucky to of lived in the city ? Everyone knew how important extra points were and the residency credits were the easiest way to get those points. Getting those points weren't luck, it's a personal choice. Each and every one of us has the option of moving to NYC and either we did or we didn't, it's not luck. And if you wanted this job bad enough you would have made the move. If a city environment isn't your place there are plenty of suburban neighborhoods within the 5 boroughs, Howard Beach, Whitestone, Bayside, Little Neck just to name a few. I agree with you this entire exam needs more transparency but saying that getting residency points is luck is just a cop out because you didn't want to move to the city.
    Tom if I could I would, problem here is I was a college student until recently, I just graduated with no job and in reality it would of been near impossible to move the year before into the city in order to get those points. Sure I knew that would be the difference the problem is that DCAS got what they wanted in that their preference for city residency is what got one hired over the other. Hey I'm still young so I always have one more chance and will take it, if I can live in the city or go the EMS route I will, but still want transperancy for this test and any other one after that I will always fight for both on the job and off it..
    ffbam24 likes this.

  23. #6473
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    (FYI, Bam DJ never even posted in the 6019 thread and from the looks of it, he never even took it. So much for doing the right thing by 6019).
    You're right. I double checked with him and I stand corrected on that.

  24. #6474
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    Actually only said that about city and in reality most of us would have had the same score if it were not for those points so the insults calling me dumb or stupid need to be thrown aside. This test was made easy for everyone with the points being the main separator and that is why the team won't rise to the top unless they live in New York City. Also Buffalo DOES NOT allow anyone from outside the city limits to test. (Most departments that are having this issue are doing the same) Meaning if you don't live in Buffalo you cannot be offered a job. Personally after this test I'd be ok with that for the FDNY as well since really the only separation between hiring and not is those 5 points unlike previous test where it really was your score with the 5 points adjusting you're hiring position. It would stop candidates from across the country paying large sums of money for almost no chance in the first place.

    Also more importantly this is the first time the FDNY is requiring a 1 year limit to prove residency. The kicker here folks, if you cannot and if they are as strict as they are saying then you will have some candidates be moved from hiring to being nowhere near this list. Unlike previous exams where it was 30 days, something that is easier to fraud, now you really need to have your records straight. This is going to be one of the biggest list movers and shakers actually.
    I like the idea of a residency credit. Why should people come from out of the city where a lot of us with residency credit have lived all our life and take our good jobs. It shouldn't only be a year to prove it should be ten years in my opinion. We deserve to get ours.
    OAK likes this.

  25. #6475
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    After saying there is a "template in place," you then say "in my opinion."

    Which is it? Is it your opinion?

    Or do you have proof?

    You as well as anybody who knows anything about whats been going on, knows that one could easily argue this has been the most transparent process in the FDNY's history thus far solely due to the lawsuit. Everything you want to know about the entire process has been argued in court and is in numerous court documents. From bonus points to, age limits, to residency deadlines, testing sites, to scoring of examinations.

    What more could you ask for? Its all in writing for all to see.
    It IS my opinion. I don't work for PSI, nor DCAS. Therefore I never will have proof.
    But this test was by far the least transparent out of any other test that was administered for FDNY or any other department for which I ever tested for. And there were quite a few.
    Whatever backroom dealings that were going on, we will never be privy to.

    A test with more than one right answer is not definitive. Every other test that has been given for this department with the exception of the last two have had a definite right and wrong answer. WITH an answer key that showed EXACTLY what they were. Sure, you were able to go to the protest period and see what you got. But being given "partial credit" to a rhetorical question??? That is the issue.

    The way this department will be molded because of this judge and this test is an atrocity to you, us and the people we serve. I'm with DJ, I'm not saying if you are offered the job to not take it. It's a slippery slope.

    It's still the greatest job in the world. I just want to be able to make sure it stays that way. And that's what you all deserve: a transparent process that is fair to everyone based on MERIT.

    PS: I came from out of state. No extra credit. I waited my turn and checked this forum constantly. I know exactly what you're going through when it comes to that.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 01-25-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 40 users browsing this thread. (12 members and 28 guests)

  1. 4040clubBouncer,
  2. Bassjunkie06,
  3. EKFCASPER,
  4. fdnybk,
  5. fndyoneday,
  6. grok350,
  7. I3akdraf,
  8. Malerba33,
  9. Matador611,
  10. MuscleHamster,
  11. Nyscourts2fdny

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 05:52 AM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 09:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 01:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 04:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 12:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register