Like Tree9833Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

So on a lighter note, anyone got any special plans for the weekend???

Forum Member

"Guys are worried that someone causing a stink and making accusations could lead to a hiring delay"

lol Thats how many people honestly feel...it just sounds funny wlhen laid out in writing.
    Last edited by Spiderneck30; 01-25-2013 at 02:25 PM.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by john_smith1 View Post
    I like the idea of a residency credit. Why should people come from out of the city where a lot of us with residency credit have lived all our life and take our good jobs. It shouldn't only be a year to prove it should be ten years in my opinion. We deserve to get ours.
    While I can see you're logic, makes more sense to then not allow anyone outside of it to take the test then. Another bigger issue is the number of bedroom communities that surround the city where former city residents live. Personally if the best of both worlds were to be combined, no residency credit but only a select few counties are allowed to test similarly to the NYPD exam.

Will this happen, no. But with the way this test was built, it wasn't a person's intelligence that was the main component with the lottery being your social. It was your location.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    I've got a nice little Saturday planned, going to Home Depot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I've got a nice little Saturday planned, going to Home Depot.
    I'll be in AC....I'll try to have enough fun for the both of us.

Forum Member

I'll be in AC....I'll try to have enough fun for the both of us.
    I was quoting Old School, but AC is always a good time. Don't lose too much money
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    While I can see you're logic, makes more sense to then not allow anyone outside of it to take the test then. Another bigger issue is the number of bedroom communities that surround the city where former city residents live. Personally if the best of both worlds were to be combined, no residency credit but only a select few counties are allowed to test similarly to the NYPD exam.

Will this happen, no. But with the way this test was built, it wasn't a person's intelligence that was the main component with the lottery being your social. It was your location.
    The NYPD doesn't do that it doesn't matter where you live in the country you can test and its the same rules as FD in that in order to be hired you muy resident in the 5 Boris or the surrounding counties Nassau Suffolk rock land orange and Putnam
    FD Exam # 2000
    Score- 102
    List- 10xx
    CPAT- Passed
    Psych- Passed
    Medical - Passed
    Retest for stairs -Passed
    Medically cleared for hire....."can't wait" -Bart Scott

Forum Member

Typed that on my phone I swear I'm not illiterate
    ATFDFF and vekdoggs75 like this.
    FD Exam # 2000
    Score- 102
    List- 10xx
    CPAT- Passed
    Psych- Passed
    Medical - Passed
    Retest for stairs -Passed
    Medically cleared for hire....."can't wait" -Bart Scott

Forum Member

Let me just say this. We can argue all day about it, but no matter what the test was or was not, this job can still be the greatest job in the world. It's going to take the efforts of guys who are OTJ, the instructors at the Rock, and the potential candidates like us who respect the job to keep it this way. In our case, it's going to start from day 1 in the academy - if you see a guy/gal in your company with an IGM attitude, straighten them out. There's no room for that. It's EVERYONE'S responsibility to protect the brotherhood, not just the senior guys. Don't let these ridiculous court rulings, exams and what not change that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    Another bigger issue is the number of bedroom communities that surround the city where former city residents live. Personally if the best of both worlds were to be combined, no residency credit but only a select few counties are allowed to test similarly to the NYPD exam.
    It sucks when it becomes apparent that the person you are trying to rationalize with obviously knows nothing about numerous topics, yet speaks as if he does. Stop posting about things you know zero about. If not for your sake, do it for bam's sake, so he doesn't look bad when he attempts to defend you.

PS I wasn't talking about Buffalo fire earlier. BFD=Boston, MA
    Last edited by GIMMEFIRE600; 01-25-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I was quoting Old School, but AC is always a good time. Don't lose too much money
    Haha I know - just ****ing around. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZYsoEwWNK0

Still a hysterical movie
    HopefulFF likes this.

Forum Member

Snowboarding, gonna be reeeeeeeeeeeal careful.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

I guess I'm the only one here planning to run and work out this weekend? Hmm I must be in too deep :/
    MuscleHamster likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by john_smith1 View Post
    I like the idea of a residency credit. Why should people come from out of the city where a lot of us with residency credit have lived all our life and take our good jobs. It shouldn't only be a year to prove it should be ten years in my opinion. We deserve to get ours.
    You deserve to, "get yours"? How so? This is a job, and a serious one at that. It's not an employment program for residents of NYC. Now, I live in the city, but I didn't always and I had to take the test and get on without those 5 points. I was in a class FILLED with city residents and while a lot of them were great guys, they all scored 5 points lower than those of us who didn't have residency credit. So, if we're all going to cry about what's fair, than how is that fair? The only reason that the residency credit exists is to try and help minorities get on the job. It was pushed for decades ago by the Vulcans.

The only points that should stand are those for people who served this country in the armed forces or those who's parents/siblings paid the ultimate price. Those people earned those points with blood. Living in the boroughs, you didn't earn anything.
    Last edited by FDsouthbxNY; 01-25-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Forum Member

I'm not sure what people exactly expect us to do with this situation. None of us came looking to get involved with controversial exams or in court cases. We did not come hoping for an exam like 6019 or like 2000. We did not ask for a cpat rather than a graded physical agaility test. We did not ask for the 5 residency points or for advantages, but only for opportunity. This is what we were given. We are playing with the hand that we were dealt in 2007 and now in 2012. I'm sure many of us would like to prove ourselves the way those did in the past. But we can't. For many of us, this month marks six years since 6019 was given and we are no closer. And that is through no fault of our own. So, what are we to do? At this point in time, this exam is the only way for us to get to the academy and ultimately, have the honor and privilege of being members of one of the greatest organizations in the world.

I understand the need for transparency. I understand the need to be sure that this exam was on the straight and narrow. But, should all of us candidates hope for hiring to stop? For problems to be found? And for another exam to be caught up in litigation? You cannot fault the people here or out there for not wanting any more delays. Or for being upset that people may once again try to stop hiring.

I also think it is unfair to automatically assume that the quality of the job will decrease due to this exam. Yes, I know that is life. And as such, many of us will understand that and prove ourselves to be dedicated members. But, we have nothing to do with the priority list, as I suspect that is one of the main concerns. As far as exam 2000, the list has many veterans and legacies. I am willing to guess that those people will make great members of the department, carry on the traditions of the job and possibly make the job even better. They will understand the need to work as a team and essentially, to operate like a family. As far as the rest of the people, who aren't veterans, there is no proof that they too, won't make good, dedicated members. Many of us here have dedicated most of our adult lives to getting onto this job. I suspect many of the people who don't frequent this forum to be similar. And you can expect that same dedication to continue should we be given a chance to earn what you gentlemen are part of and to experience what you experience.

It has been a common thing, over the history of the department, to hear people say that a new generation wouldn't be as good as those that came before them. This is not the first time for a lawsuit or court cases for the department. And in the 148 year history of the department, generation after generation has been able to carry on and continue to improve the traditions of this department, in spite of difficult times. A great man named Joe Angelini was asked in a documentary about the the changes in time, in regards to the job, and he said something like 'times change, but the breed of men don't.' A majority of the candidates from this list will be good, dedicated members of the department. No matter what anyone tries to do, if we are given the chance, have the opportunity to be lead and taught about our responsibilities, about the brotherhood, about the traditions, about how to be good firefighters by the current members of this job, then the excellence of this department will carry on. Good leadership will ensure that the traditions remain. Remember, much to the chagrin of others, many of the candidates will still be family, friends or people who the job was recommended to. I agree with others who feel that the academy will weed out people who don't want to put in the work. And from the sounds of things, they are not joking around with this new class that is in there now.

I have been trying to get on to this job since I was age 17, just before my senior year of high school, when I tried to apply for exam 2043, but was denied. That was 2002. At 21, I moved here. About a year later, my first chance to test was 6019, at age 22 in January 2007. I did well, I passed all of the necessary steps and nearly went to the academy. But, eventually, the test was thrown out. Then came exam 2000, at age 27, 10 years after first trying to test. I was fortunate to have done well once again. Now, I'm age 28 and still waiting. Others have stories like this.

I grew up in small town, 3 hours north of here. There are more people within a few blocks of my current residence than in my whole hometown. I did many things, spent lots of time in sports and in the woods, but I always made sure to make time to read about this job. About Harlem, the South Bronx, the West Bronx, Washington Heights, Alphabet City, Brownsville, Bushwick, Bed - Stuy, East New York, Crown Height and Flastbush. About names like Tiso, Neary, Principio, Downey, Brown, Hayde, Carlson, Kleehaas, O'Hagan, Williams, Dunn, Pritchard, Morris, Angelini, Vigiano, Patterson, Ferrell, Ielpi, Brennan. Others have similar stories. Reading about that, about those men, the family - like nature and the opportunity to serve others, drew me to this job (I have no firefighters in my family).I have been trying for 11 years to earn this job, the lack of success no fault of my own. When does it end? What am I to do, what are we to do? Hope to see more litigation? To support it? Time is running out.
    Last edited by Minerva; 01-26-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    You deserve to, "get yours"? How so? This is a job, and a serious one at that. It's not an employment program for residents of NYC. Now, I live in the city, but I didn't always and I had to take the test and get on without those 5 points. I was in a class FILLED with city residents and while a lot of them were great guys, they all scored 5 points lower than those of us who didn't have residency credit. So, if we're all going to cry about what's fair, than how is that fair? The only reason that the residency credit exists is to try and help minorities get on the job. It was pushed for decades ago by the Vulcans.

The only points that should stand are those for people who served this country in the armed forces or those who's parents/siblings paid the ultimate price. Those people earned those points with blood. Living in the boroughs, you didn't earn anything.
    I said "get Ours" not get yours so i don't understand why you misquoted me. I think city residents should have a greater chance which is why i agree with the residency credits. I see it as outsourcing when their are plenty of qualified people right at home. Living here your whole life i think can give you and edge on people who don't even know how to take a train. That was my point as well as my opinion. Not to mention, you don't know anything about my preference points so to say i didn't earn anything is jumping the gun.

Forum Member

To chime in about the residency and the transparency:

Its an absolute sham that there is no answer key laid out. Yes I went to the protest review and like the rest of you, no I do not have any idea if my protests were upheld. Nor do I have any idea which questions were worth more than others. And the SSN tiebreaker....obviously a complete joke.

If they actually listed the answer key along with the weight of each question, and at least one number from each persons SSN then there might be alot less frustrated people. At the same time there also might be alot more angry people who would have seen even more clearly how asinine this was handled.

However I'm not complaining just merely giving my opinion on the facts. I went to the prep sessions and was only really taken by surprise by both the rounding of the scores and the SSN tiebreaker - and I consider myself fortunate, not lucky, to be within the projected hiring range without the help of residency credits (Nevermind the fact that I'm a 3rd gen New Yorker born in Queens). I knew that this was going to be a ****show and prepared as much as I could, and focused as hard as I could during the test. The rest wasn't up to me.

Obviously no method is perfect but when considering a civil service job the playing field should be fair and level, and as always when dealing with government i.e. - OUR tax money - the methods should always be transparent so that WE know how they are using OUR money.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 99
    List #: 4XXX

Forum Member

Not sure if anyone can help me out and this is a little off topic. My father passed away 13 years after retirement after being on the job for 25 years. He passed away from a very rare cancer. He didn't smoke and barley drank. We suspected he got this cancer from the job because it never ran in the family and because of its rarity. Correct me if I am wrong but this does not count as legacy credit right? Which I think is bull****

Forum Member

this thread is going off the rails with all the arguing over stuff we have no control over. You all drove me to the Rant!!!!

anyway, saw this posted over there....

"Was at education day this week. A 4 star chief was there and said there is going to be a July 29th class."

Forum Member

Default To CODY34

Sorry for your lost but that would be hard to prove on all accounts.

The reason why the 9/11 got the legacy points is because the gravity of the situation and the irrefutable evidence of many first responders passing away from terminal illnesses in the following years. The other guys who qualified for these points had a relative who got killed in the line of duty.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    Score 101
    List #17XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    It sucks when it becomes apparent that the person you are trying to rationalize with obviously knows nothing about numerous topics, yet speaks as if he does. Stop posting about things you know zero about. If not for your sake, do it for bam's sake, so he doesn't look bad when he attempts to defend you.

PS I wasn't talking about Buffalo fire earlier. BFD=Boston, MA
    Serious question, are you coming to the Merit Matters meeting to defend your position, or are you just going to internet tough guy it?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    I guess I'm the only one here planning to run and work out this weekend? Hmm I must be in too deep :/
    Run man, Cause when you get to The Rock your running Monday-Friday no less then 3 miles a day then you can be going right into bunker gear after a run to doing a tough evolution. You need to have good stamina at PFS. There's no Bs'ing or half assing tolerated down there. In 8 days I gained a whole new respect for the men/woman who work this job!!!!!!
    ffbam24, FDsouthbxNY, OAK and 2 others like this.
    01-13

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    8 days in. 8 dropped probies. Hope you guys in the top 500 are getting ready, I heard that giving back your gear is pretty embarrassing.
    Nothing embrassing about admitting this job aint for you. Alot comes with this job my man.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    Hey!
    I can do that all on my own thankyouverymuch!
    GIMMEFIRE600 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by I3akdraf View Post
    Nothing embrassing about admitting this job aint for you. Alot comes with this job my man.
    Are you a FDNY firefighter? If not please don't tell me what this job is about or not. Most of these people are quitting because they not physically ready for the academy not because they want to admit this job isn't for them my man......

Thread Information