Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 262 of 1019 FirstFirst ... 162212252259260261262263264265272312362762 ... LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,240 of 20370
Like Tree7734Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #5221
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    Yep. Way we used to do this on the track was run the straights, walk/jog the turns. The track in Greenpoint is great, and there is an outdoor pull-up station, etc. station so you can get in a good workout at the same time.
    That's where I go! hahaha


  2. #5222
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post
    So they didn't let you use the veterans credit as well because you weren't a resident? or did they only deduct the residency credit?

    Edit1: I just went over to the DCAS website and read over the requirements to be able to use the Veterans credit. It says one has to be a resident of NYS by the time of appointment. So what im taking from this is that as long as i become a resident of NY by the time of appointment i should be good to go.

    I have been loosing some sleep over the residency/veteran credit deal. I joined the military in 2007 and my contract should be over by 2013. I marked both resident/veteran credit. I asked the lady when i took the test if i could do this and she said that she "believed" that if I joined the military from NYS that I should be able to take residency credit. I had a NYS DL before and switched to the state where I live at right now. Im now in the process of switching it back to NYS. I would hate to not be credited the resident/veteran credit due to all this.
    I was reading the same thing about being a resident and keeping my vet points. My interpretation was the same as yours, in that as long as I'm a resident by the time of appointment my Vet points would still stand. As far as residency is concerned, by law, I was considered a resident of whatever my home of record was in my SRB. It was easy for me to show since I maintained a DL from that state, and paid state taxes until recently. However, once my DL was changed and I stopped paying taxes, I don't think I was considered a resident of my home state anymore. No idea how they would work that out for you, but it is an interesting question. I wish you the best though man.

  3. #5223
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I've been lurking around this thread for quite sometime now, and just wanted to say that you guys have been very informative so far.

    Maybe this has already been asked and answered, and if so i apologize for the repeat, but i could not find the answer. Can someone please post all of the tests from the medical evaluation and the passing ranges of these tests? Also, I am a little confused on how list 2500 is doing. I read somewhere that is was looking like 50%, but that the failures have another chance coming up. Can someone please explain?

    Please understand that I wish everyone the best and my question about the 2500 list is only to get a better understanding of the next step and an idea of my timeline. Thanks in advance.
    Hotchi11 likes this.

  4. #5224
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    36

    Default

    I am planning my future right now and I am wondering if someone can give their best opinion on when smoeone with a list number of 2400 would be called to start their medical or CPAT. I know nobody knows but if you can give me your best estimate.

  5. #5225
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    That's where I go! hahaha
    Small world - I'm sure I'll see you around. Where are you on the list? If anyone else is projected to be in the first class or two, not a bad idea to get a group together...
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

  6. #5226
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    Small world - I'm sure I'll see you around. Where are you on the list? If anyone else is projected to be in the first class or two, not a bad idea to get a group together...
    For sure man I just messaged you.

  7. #5227
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYlist2000 View Post
    I've been lurking around this thread for quite sometime now, and just wanted to say that you guys have been very informative so far.

    Maybe this has already been asked and answered, and if so i apologize for the repeat, but i could not find the answer. Can someone please post all of the tests from the medical evaluation and the passing ranges of these tests?
    Someone else just recently posted a list of what the tests are, nobody is going to be able to tell you what 'passing' is. The big thing definitely seems to be the stairmaster/heart rate test, but other than that it kinda depends on your medical history and the doctor there.

    People who fail the stairmaster/heart rate test get a second chance a month later, so everyone who has failed that is not out of the running yet.



    e: Breathing control: Regardless of level of fitness, your ability to regulate your breathing while doing the stairs will help keep your heart rate in check. It all has to do with the vagus nerve and the parasympathetic nervous system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagus_nerve
    Last edited by Manhattan Medic; 11-06-2012 at 05:00 PM.

  8. #5228
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Someone else just recently posted a list of what the tests are, nobody is going to be able to tell you what 'passing' is. The big thing definitely seems to be the stairmaster/heart rate test, but other than that it kinda depends on your medical history and the doctor there.

    People who fail the stairmaster/heart rate test get a second chance a month later, so everyone who has failed that is not out of the running yet.



    e: Breathing control: Regardless of level of fitness, your ability to regulate your breathing while doing the stairs will help keep your heart rate in check. It all has to do with the vagus nerve and the parasympathetic nervous system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagus_nerve
    Thanks man, appreciate it. Been working out like crazy and would hate to miss an opportunity because of something I could control. I am gonna have to start monitoring my heart rate. Whats the time and load weight on the stairmaster? Same 3:20 with 75 lbs as the standard, or is it something different? Hoping to make it all easy for myself, hate for it all to come down to vagal maneuvers. Lastly, does it look like the first 2 academies will be all promotions? I only ask, because I'm 7XX, and will be deployed till nov. 2013. I was told they would hold my spot for me, but was hoping the timeline would work out none the less.

  9. #5229
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    It's called the Vagel Maneuver. You take a breath, hold it and bear down just a little. I think ManhattanMedic covered it before.
    I actually did it once on a stress test (treadmill, strapped to an EKG), the doctor was watching the EKG when I did it and saw my HR drop before his eyes a good 10-20 beats. He said, "What the...?"

    I laughed a little and said, "Oh, that was me."
    I passed.

    Guys, sprint intervals are a great tool for getting your HR down as well. Check out Men's Health and Runner's World for some good articles on it. I used to do 10, 40yd sprints on my non distance/time running days. Sprint 40 yards, walk back, sprint again, repeat. Trust me, it works well and you'll feel it.
    that seems similar to the valsalva maneuver, used to protect the spine during weight lifting. mark rippetoe explains it well. I thought it raised blood pressure thou

    http://www.myweightlifting.com/valsalva-maneuver.html
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  10. #5230
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYlist2000 View Post
    I was reading the same thing about being a resident and keeping my vet points. My interpretation was the same as yours, in that as long as I'm a resident by the time of appointment my Vet points would still stand. As far as residency is concerned, by law, I was considered a resident of whatever my home of record was in my SRB. It was easy for me to show since I maintained a DL from that state, and paid state taxes until recently. However, once my DL was changed and I stopped paying taxes, I don't think I was considered a resident of my home state anymore. No idea how they would work that out for you, but it is an interesting question. I wish you the best though man.
    wow dude, its a bit comforting that someone else is in the same situation as I am. Thanks for the valuable input. My advice to you is to get your NYS DL as soon as possible if you havent done so. Also, try to get a letter notarized from the landlord where you used to live in NYC.

  11. #5231
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    I am planning my future right now and I am wondering if someone can give their best opinion on when smoeone with a list number of 2400 would be called to start their medical or CPAT. I know nobody knows but if you can give me your best estimate.
    Best case scenario is sometime next summer. But if you dont make that upcoming November class than someone with your score should be up for the following class fo sure. So yeah I would say your process may start anywhere from next summer to next christmas.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

  12. #5232
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Best case scenario is sometime next summer. But if you dont make that upcoming November class than someone with your score should be up for the following class fo sure. So yeah I would say your process may start anywhere from next summer to next christmas.
    Do you mean one X-mas after this upcoming one?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  13. #5233
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,023

    Default

    when do we find out if the are putting through the "priority hires" also what about the appeals court
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  14. #5234
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    when do we find out if the are putting through the "priority hires" also what about the appeals court
    Sometime in the next few months is what I've been heard. I imagine they'd have to come to some sort of decision before they start to process the June class, since that would be either the POS priority hires or us.

    I google any news on the appeal daily haha, nothing new about it for like 6 months.
    List # 12XX

  15. #5235
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Sometime in the next few months is what I've been heard. I imagine they'd have to come to some sort of decision before they start to process the June class, since that would be either the POS priority hires or us.

    I google any news on the appeal daily haha, nothing new about it for like 6 months.
    Just a heads up, as soon as it's out, the opinion will be up here:

    http://www.ca2.uscourts.gov/opinions.htm.

  16. #5236
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Do you mean one X-mas after this upcoming one?
    Yeap xmas 2013, not this one.

    I just figured he has a 2400 list so he is probably 3 OC classes out. That one should begin around Feb or March 2014. Thats just my guess.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

  17. #5237
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,023

    Default

    I would love to see video of these people and maybe see them get interviewed on TV so the world can see what a 25 sounds like.
    vekdoggs75 and FdnytolifeE293 like this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  18. #5238
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Sometime in the next few months is what I've been heard. I imagine they'd have to come to some sort of decision before they start to process the June class, since that would be either the POS priority hires or us.

    I google any news on the appeal daily haha, nothing new about it for like 6 months.
    I hope your wrong lol
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

  19. #5239
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    Just a heads up, as soon as it's out, the opinion will be up here:

    http://www.ca2.uscourts.gov/opinions.htm.
    Yup, thats one of the sites I check pretty regularly. Also in that site, the calendar section is pretty useful as it might be our first heads up when they plan to rule on this.

    http://www.ca2.uscourts.gov/calendars.htm
    List # 12XX

  20. #5240
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Yeap xmas 2013, not this one.

    I just figured he has a 2400 list so he is probably 3 OC classes out. That one should begin around Feb or March 2014. Thats just my guess.
    How many classes total? 8?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 37 users browsing this thread. (9 members and 28 guests)

  1. Bee1985,
  2. dh18902000,
  3. EKFCASPER,
  4. Jky9xx,
  5. King_Williams_II,
  6. Mo2012,
  7. MuscleHamster,
  8. raiderman33,
  9. vekdoggs75

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  2. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  3. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  4. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 11:16 AM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts