Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 264 of 1204 FirstFirst ... 164214254261262263264265266267274314364764 ... LastLast
Results 5,261 to 5,280 of 24077
Like Tree9398Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #5261
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joro89 View Post
    Can anyone shed some light on the background investigation? I've heard so many things idk what to believe. I've heard that its the hardest part (just like the NYPD), that the simplest thing (like a parking ticket or just 1 summons) will DQ you, and thats the part of the process most ppl fail. But I've also heard that its nowhere as strict as the NYPD, that the physical parts of the process are the hardest and where most ppl fail, and that the background check only checks what you have done since you took the test or that at the very least it takes a lot to DQ someone for a background. I apologize for any confusion this post may cause I know it's a lot lol just trying to clear up a lot of confusing info ppl have told me. Thanks so much in advance.
    First time I hear about parking tickets ....


  2. #5262
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,220

    Default

    you are not gonna get DQed for parking tickets in PD, maybe if you had a ridiculous amount and they thought it said something about your character.

    I am curious what FD DQs you for.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 11-09-2012 at 01:37 AM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  3. #5263
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joro89 View Post
    Can anyone shed some light on the background investigation? I've heard so many things idk what to believe. I've heard that its the hardest part (just like the NYPD), that the simplest thing (like a parking ticket or just 1 summons) will DQ you, and thats the part of the process most ppl fail. But I've also heard that its nowhere as strict as the NYPD, that the physical parts of the process are the hardest and where most ppl fail, and that the background check only checks what you have done since you took the test or that at the very least it takes a lot to DQ someone for a background. I apologize for any confusion this post may cause I know it's a lot lol just trying to clear up a lot of confusing info ppl have told me. Thanks so much in advance.
    I wonder if anyone can tell us a general reason why they got DQed or know someone that was DQed in the past for a background check just so we can get a general understanding of the strictness of the background investigation. I don't think it is as strict as the NYPD background check but I wonder since there is so much competition and people waiting for this job if they are going to more strict then they have in the past with the background check.

  4. #5264
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    843

    Default

    Parking tickets ? I can understand unpaid parking tickets but parking tickets in general ? But living in NYC, parking tickets are just a way of life.
    zachryw2001 likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

  5. #5265
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Parking tickets ? I can understand unpaid parking tickets but parking tickets in general ? But living in NYC, parking tickets are just a way of life.
    That's false, I'm processing for pd now. Moving violations yes can hold you up, but parking tickets you can't even tell who was driving the car

  6. #5266
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    That's false, I'm processing for pd now. Moving violations yes can hold you up, but parking tickets you can't even tell who was driving the car
    I know moving violations can hold you up, that's why I only mentioned parking tickets.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

  7. #5267
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    That's false, I'm processing for pd now. Moving violations yes can hold you up, but parking tickets you can't even tell who was driving the car
    Great point. Same goes with camera tickets.

    I have a question for you though. I just want to get a sense of what decisions people will make. You said you are processing for pd and you have a 104 on exam 2000. Which one will you be accepting?, assuming you get offered both positions
    grok350 likes this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

  8. #5268
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    What do you guys mean by "hold you up" though? I have 2 speeding tix, one from 07 and one from 09. Otherwise clean record, actually since both happened in NJ my insurance never went up, got lucky there.

  9. #5269
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    What do you guys mean by "hold you up" though? I have 2 speeding tix, one from 07 and one from 09. Otherwise clean record, actually since both happened in NJ my insurance never went up, got lucky there.
    You will be fine. Don't sweat it. Fdny is more strict on felonies and misdemanoers and such.
    HopefulFF likes this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

  10. #5270
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    You will be fine. Don't sweat it. Fdny is more strict on felonies and misdemanoers and such.
    im pretty sure you have that backwards NYPD is more strict with prior arrest

    NYPD NOE
    Proof of good character and satisfactory background will be absolute prerequisites to appointment. The following are among the factors which would ordinarily be cause for disqualification: (a) conviction of an offense, the nature of which indicates lack of good moral character or disposition towards violence or disorder; (b) repeated convictions of an offense, where such convictions indicate a disrespect for the law; (c) discharge from employment, where such discharge indicates poor behavior or an inability to adjust to discipline; (d) dishonorable discharge from the Armed Forces; and (e) conviction of petit larceny. In accordance with provisions of law, persons convicted of a felony or domestic violence misdemeanor are not eligible for appointment to the title of Police Officer.

    FDNY NOE
    Proof of good character and satisfactory background will be an absolute prerequisite to appointment. Persons convicted of a felony or who have received a dishonorable discharge from the Armed Forces are not eligible for appointment to this position.


    i saw somewhere that they will be considering some people with felonies for the FDNY

  11. #5271
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steven9d3 View Post
    im pretty sure you have that backwards NYPD is more strict with prior arrest

    NYPD NOE
    Proof of good character and satisfactory background will be absolute prerequisites to appointment. The following are among the factors which would ordinarily be cause for disqualification: (a) conviction of an offense, the nature of which indicates lack of good moral character or disposition towards violence or disorder; (b) repeated convictions of an offense, where such convictions indicate a disrespect for the law; (c) discharge from employment, where such discharge indicates poor behavior or an inability to adjust to discipline; (d) dishonorable discharge from the Armed Forces; and (e) conviction of petit larceny. In accordance with provisions of law, persons convicted of a felony or domestic violence misdemeanor are not eligible for appointment to the title of Police Officer.

    FDNY NOE
    Proof of good character and satisfactory background will be an absolute prerequisite to appointment. Persons convicted of a felony or who have received a dishonorable discharge from the Armed Forces are not eligible for appointment to this position.


    i saw somewhere that they will be considering some people with felonies for the FDNY
    Yeah thats what I was alluding too. I guess I worded it wrong. Meant to say they are more strict on felonies realtive to moving violations not realtive to the NYPD.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

  12. #5272
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Great point. Same goes with camera tickets.

    I have a question for you though. I just want to get a sense of what decisions people will make. You said you are processing for pd and you have a 104 on exam 2000. Which one will you be accepting?, assuming you get offered both positions
    I'm definitely going with fdny. Pd was my back up plan when the first test was thrown out. And with talking to my investigator my current police test looks more likely for the july 13 academy unless for some strange reason they have an unsually large academy. But I think the list will go deeper than many may think. For instance and I know this is just a few but i'm sure many people have stories like this. I have one guy at my job now who took the test, scored well, 101 i think. He is literally 5'9, 5'10 about 300+. While i'm running everyday and training bring healthy food to work, he orders chinese every night. I'm sure there are more out there that are completely out of shape and wont make it pass the height/weight chart. Another friend I know scored in the 3xx range, and just started columbia's master program and i'm pretty sure he will turn it down. These are just a few cases, but If I know a few, i'm sure everyone else does too.
    Dannyvale likes this.

  13. #5273
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steven9d3 View Post
    i saw somewhere that they will be considering some people with felonies for the FDNY
    Considering one of the Vulcan's arguments against the FDNY and the past processes, it would be sort of hypocritical wouldn't you say? If they hire these folks and do not hire other candidates then it's back to the courtroom so I'd say the FDNY will be pretty strict enforcing this or so I hope.

    Also for all of you considering eye procedures, hold up right now as the department is looking at removing any sight reqs. I will not reveal my source but let the process continue before all of you start rushing for something you might not need.

  14. #5274
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10

    Default

    I was charged with misdemeanors but got dropped down to a violation, I hope it doesn't DQ me :-(


    List# 3XX

  15. #5275
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY86 View Post
    I was charged with misdemeanors but got dropped down to a violation, I hope it doesn't DQ me :-(


    List# 3XX
    What was it for? anything violent. If not I would guess you would be Good.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 11-09-2012 at 02:06 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  16. #5276
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    Considering one of the Vulcan's arguments against the FDNY and the past processes, it would be sort of hypocritical wouldn't you say? If they hire these folks and do not hire other candidates then it's back to the courtroom so I'd say the FDNY will be pretty strict enforcing this or so I hope.

    Also for all of you considering eye procedures, hold up right now as the department is looking at removing any sight reqs. I will not reveal my source but let the process continue before all of you start rushing for something you might not need.
    Did they indicate any time when they might reveal this information ? I'm going for the Lasik consultation this Tuesday and would likely schedule the procedure for some time early next year. I would love to get Lasik in general but if I could put it off until I was making a little more money I would prefer that.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

  17. #5277
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY86 View Post
    I was charged with misdemeanors but got dropped down to a violation, I hope it doesn't DQ me :-(


    List# 3XX
    Same here. Wish you the best. We all make mistakes and learn from them.


    List# 1xxx
    Last edited by DannyD0pe; 02-10-2013 at 08:42 PM.
    Dannyvale likes this.

  18. #5278
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,220

    Default

    Are they getting rid of the eye requirement because it costs money and that discriminates?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  19. #5279
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYlist2000 View Post
    Man for some reason I am getting my facts a little mixed up. To end my confusion, can you please give me the process from your called list number to the academy. Just been hearing a ton of different things in different places about the duration of the CPAT training(in weeks), CPAT practices and test, medical eval, background, etc... Not to mention which order they all go in and which parts are mandatory. I know you're busy, but if you can straighten it all up for me I'd appreciate it.
    I don't know the correct order (if there is one) because they've been doing things kind of out of order with us since it's a mad dash to come up with a group of eligible candidates. I do know the steps are:

    1. CPAT training (you're offered a training program to get familiar with the CPAT and practice it at The Rock). You are not required to take the training, they are just required to offer it. It is a good idea though.
    2. CPAT - You essentially get 3 attempts, since you get 2 practice tries before the real thing, and if you pass in either practice attempt then you've 'passed', and are done.
    3. Background Investigation
    4. Psych
    5. Medical
    6. 1.5 mile run

    Quote Originally Posted by joro89 View Post
    Can anyone shed some light on the background investigation? I've heard so many things idk what to believe. I've heard that its the hardest part (just like the NYPD), that the simplest thing (like a parking ticket or just 1 summons) will DQ you, and thats the part of the process most ppl fail. But I've also heard that its nowhere as strict as the NYPD, that the physical parts of the process are the hardest and where most ppl fail, and that the background check only checks what you have done since you took the test or that at the very least it takes a lot to DQ someone for a background. I apologize for any confusion this post may cause I know it's a lot lol just trying to clear up a lot of confusing info ppl have told me. Thanks so much in advance.
    It can trick people up because you need to disclose any sort of summons or anything that you've had come up. They're super strict about it because they are clearing you for a peace officer title. You won't get DQed for having something on your record, just gotta bring it up. There's some process for people who have a misdemeanor or felony on their record to get cleared, but I don't really know what it is. I wouldn't worry that much about the background investigation as long as you don't have either of those on your record.
    NYgrad2012 and joro89 like this.

  20. #5280
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I don't know the correct order (if there is one) because they've been doing things kind of out of order with us since it's a mad dash to come up with a group of eligible candidates. I do know the steps are:

    1. CPAT training (you're offered a training program to get familiar with the CPAT and practice it at The Rock). You are not required to take the training, they are just required to offer it. It is a good idea though.
    2. CPAT - You essentially get 3 attempts, since you get 2 practice tries before the real thing, and if you pass in either practice attempt then you've 'passed', and are done.
    3. Background Investigation
    4. Psych
    5. Medical
    6. 1.5 mile run



    It can trick people up because you need to disclose any sort of summons or anything that you've had come up. They're super strict about it because they are clearing you for a peace officer title. You won't get DQed for having something on your record, just gotta bring it up. There's some process for people who have a misdemeanor or felony on their record to get cleared, but I don't really know what it is. I wouldn't worry that much about the background investigation as long as you don't have either of those on your record.

    Thanks so much for all the help and info, I really appreciate it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 46 users browsing this thread. (13 members and 33 guests)

  1. 40&OUT,
  2. 4040clubBouncer,
  3. dahose,
  4. DFDNY444,
  5. EKFCASPER,
  6. Gomer Pyle,
  7. IronBars,
  8. jes82,
  9. john_casey,
  10. k20dc2,
  11. nptks,
  12. SIFire,
  13. tmccormack24

Similar Threads

  1. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  2. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts