Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 269 of 1141 FirstFirst ... 169219259266267268269270271272279319369769 ... LastLast
Results 5,361 to 5,380 of 22814
Like Tree8966Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by steven9d3 View Post
    on the stair master its 220-age x .9
    for example if your 21 its 220-21 x.9 = 179
    okay cool. so it's 90% of your max heart rate then for the medical. Thank you.
    List 14XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bravest2009 View Post
    okay cool. so it's 90% of your max heart rate then for the medical. Thank you.
    im 99% sure if im wrong someone please correct me

Forum Member

In mathematical order of operations, you would multiply your age by .9 and then subtract that from 220. Would that be the correct way of doing this, or would it be better represented by (220-age) x .9 as opposed to 220- (age x .9)?

Forum Member

How many times in this thread will this be repeated.

It makes more sense if you are aware that the way you calculate your theoretical max heart rate is by subtracting your age from 220. Since the maximum threshold for the medical is 90% of that, the correct equation would be (220-age)*0.9, which is done for 5:12, @ 60 steps/min, with a 50 pound vest.

Being anxious about the medical tomorrow I went to the fire academy today to use the stairs there. I did double the required amount of time [10:24 instead of 5:12] and was ****ing blown away to see my heart rate stayed steady at 155 the whole time (my goal was <175). Can't wait for tomorrow.

Forum Member

good luck tomorrow MM
    WTRBG likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    good luck tomorrow MM
    I second that. Good luck man.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    I second that. Good luck man.
    I third it. Knock it outta the park, man...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    How many times in this thread will this be repeated.

It makes more sense if you are aware that the way you calculate your theoretical max heart rate is by subtracting your age from 220. Since the maximum threshold for the medical is 90% of that, the correct equation would be (220-age)*0.9, which is done for 5:12, @ 60 steps/min, with a 50 pound vest.

Being anxious about the medical tomorrow I went to the fire academy today to use the stairs there. I did double the required amount of time [10:24 instead of 5:12] and was ****ing blown away to see my heart rate stayed steady at 155 the whole time (my goal was <175). Can't wait for tomorrow.
    good luck tomorrow

Desire4theJob, sent you a PM

Forum Member

guys/girls don't lie on the medical if you had surgery tell them about it especially on the knee or ankle because they look at your joints very closely and if they see scars that resemble a surgical procedure its a goodbye good luck in your life an work on your cardio I saw a lot of sad faces today.
    01-13

Forum Member

A few things I'm wondering today.

First, if they are going to be so rigorous with candidates from 2500, how will they get to a class of anywhere close to 300 by January? Does that mean they will push the class back a month or two in order to try and put in some folks from the OC? They have never actually officially said the class will start in January…

Also, I wonder if they'll be this rigorous with medicals and backgrounds for candidates from the OC, considering that could kick open a hornets nest of criticism that they are using medicals and investigations to favor one group or another…

Anyways, all things we'll know the answer to before too long. Good luck to everyone on 2500 doing their medicals and CPAT in the near future.
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post

Also, I wonder if they'll be this rigorous with medicals and backgrounds for candidates from the OC, considering that could kick open a hornets nest of criticism that they are using medicals and investigations to favor one group or another…
    this is simply not true. theyare rigorous with medicals because they dont want someone to drop dead from poor health one day after being hired. and with the backround investigation, they will look into everything although i have heard of guys getting on with dwi's.

Forum Member

This whole process reminds me of the powerball jackpot... You go take the test, circle strongly agree for everything, get excited about a great score but in reality you only hit on the first number. 5 more numbers for the jackpot lol. God damn anxiety is building
    mocon337 likes this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    did you see their orthopedic dr or a personal one? When I was posting I couldn't remember which dr they sent the guy I spoke with to, but I believe it was a city dr.
    I had to go see the city doc down at 9mt. The only days he was there was Sat's.
    HopefulFF likes this.
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fightfor6019 View Post
    this is simply not true. theyare rigorous with medicals because they dont want someone to drop dead from poor health one day after being hired. and with the backround investigation, they will look into everything although i have heard of guys getting on with dwi's.
    What is "simply not true"? I was wondering what the future might hold for candidates from the OC. Since the future hasn't, you know, happened yet, it is neither true nor untrue.

All I was doing was wondering how rigorous they will be for candidates from the OC. Hearing the medical pass rates (what was it - 8 guys out of 70 the other day?) the rates are considerably lower than any previous class I've ever known anyone in. But speculation doesn't matter much. We'll find out soon enough.
    List # 53X

Forum Member

This is my first post since Sandy. I just got power back after 16 days. My town and the town I work in were destroyed and my mom passed away two days before the storm hit. I have had a pretty crazy few weeks. I am back in the saddle and focused once again. I went to my medical on Monday and passed everything with no problem. I maxed out on the stepmill with a heart rate of 160. I had to wear jeans and Vans because I was displaced from my house. The FFer proctoring the stairs broke my balls about not wearing shorts or sneakers and I explained why I didn't have them and he his demeanor changed. It was a breeze. Unfortunately I cannot say the same for some of my EMS bros. I was there with 60 guys and I think almost 40+ have to go back for either the stairs or weight check ins. Kinda crazy although from what I hear most pass after being called back. One of my partners was told to lose 17 lbs in 30 days. He's not even fat just a big rugby player. Rumor is that they are nervous that they won't even fill this first class with EMS and it might be pushed back 12 weeks if thats the case. The 12 weeks would be for you guys of course, to get your CPAT sessions in and process. We'll see. I doubt it. They need this class for January. Oh and when I was there Monday I noticed numbers on this board in the main room. The head guy (Frank, super cool. Helped me out with the whole thing because I didnt even have mail!) He explained that the 206/127 was for the number of guys that have had medicals as of Monday and how many have to come back. So as of Nov 12th 206 guys had medicals and 127 need to come back!
    grok350 and WTRBG like this.

Forum Member

JerkAlert - congrats on passing and thanks for the info. And, of course, sympathies regarding your mom and your house and your town. Stay strong. Better days ahead very, very soon.
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    This is my first post since Sandy. I just got power back after 16 days. My town and the town I work in were destroyed and my mom passed away two days before the storm hit. I have had a pretty crazy few weeks. I am back in the saddle and focused once again. I went to my medical on Monday and passed everything with no problem. I maxed out on the stepmill with a heart rate of 160. I had to wear jeans and Vans because I was displaced from my house. The FFer proctoring the stairs broke my balls about not wearing shorts or sneakers and I explained why I didn't have them and he his demeanor changed. It was a breeze. Unfortunately I cannot say the same for some of my EMS bros. I was there with 60 guys and I think almost 40+ have to go back for either the stairs or weight check ins. Kinda crazy although from what I hear most pass after being called back. One of my partners was told to lose 17 lbs in 30 days. He's not even fat just a big rugby player. Rumor is that they are nervous that they won't even fill this first class with EMS and it might be pushed back 12 weeks if thats the case. The 12 weeks would be for you guys of course, to get your CPAT sessions in and process. We'll see. I doubt it. They need this class for January. Oh and when I was there Monday I noticed numbers on this board in the main room. The head guy (Frank, super cool. Helped me out with the whole thing because I didnt even have mail!) He explained that the 206/127 was for the number of guys that have had medicals as of Monday and how many have to come back. So as of Nov 12th 206 guys had medicals and 127 need to come back!
    Congrats on passing ... And I'm sorry for your loss my condolence goes out to your family ... Bro what size are you ? Let me help you out with some clothes if you need them!!!!
    sffdnyhopeful09 and grok350 like this.

Forum Member

Thanks guys. I'm actually one of the lucky ones so I am not in need of clothes. I
    m in Long Beach so I was displaced from my building. moved into and took care of my moms house in Atlantic Beach. Gutted it and then lived there with no power, heat, water....but things are moving along. My girl and I are back in our apartment with hot water and electric. I work in Rockaway so I don't really escape the destruction. If you are looking to donate there are tons of donation sites. My friends and I run a local surf production company and we have been selling T-shirts and all proceeds go directly to Long Beach/Rockaway families that lost everything. http://www.nysea.com/nybeachrelief/ or just got to www.NYsea.com and look for relief. Sorry to plug this here guys but its for a good cause. You will never see me stray from the topic of this thread again. Thanks for the kind words. I hope the next two months bring me my dream.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm actually one of the lucky ones so I am not in need of clothes. I
    m in Long Beach so I was displaced from my building. moved into and took care of my moms house in Atlantic Beach. Gutted it and then lived there with no power, heat, water....but things are moving along. My girl and I are back in our apartment with hot water and electric. I work in Rockaway so I don't really escape the destruction. If you are looking to donate there are tons of donation sites. My friends and I run a local surf production company and we have been selling T-shirts and all proceeds go directly to Long Beach/Rockaway families that lost everything. http://www.nysea.com/nybeachrelief/ or just got to www.NYsea.com and look for relief. Sorry to plug this here guys but its for a good cause. You will never see me stray from the topic of this thread again. Thanks for the kind words. I hope the next two months bring me my dream.
    Hey man plug away. The fact that you are still thinking about helping other people after losing your mom shows that you are perfect for this job. I was out at Long Beach last weekend, still a bit of a war zone out there and they can definitely use the help. So sorry for your loss.
    sffdnyhopeful09 likes this.
    List # 12XX

Thread Information