Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 270 of 1020 FirstFirst ... 170220260267268269270271272273280320370770 ... LastLast
Results 5,381 to 5,400 of 20388
Like Tree7739Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm actually one of the lucky ones so I am not in need of clothes. I
    m in Long Beach so I was displaced from my building. moved into and took care of my moms house in Atlantic Beach. Gutted it and then lived there with no power, heat, water....but things are moving along. My girl and I are back in our apartment with hot water and electric. I work in Rockaway so I don't really escape the destruction. If you are looking to donate there are tons of donation sites. My friends and I run a local surf production company and we have been selling T-shirts and all proceeds go directly to Long Beach/Rockaway families that lost everything. http://www.nysea.com/nybeachrelief/ or just got to www.NYsea.com and look for relief. Sorry to plug this here guys but its for a good cause. You will never see me stray from the topic of this thread again. Thanks for the kind words. I hope the next two months bring me my dream.
    It will, keep your chin up and best of luck. My condolences as well, but now you have an angel guiding you to your dream.

Forum Member

Passed the medical. My HR wasn't as good this time around, but I would say that it's probably nerves, as well as the fact that you are just staring at a wall for 5 minutes and have nothing but your thoughts, and the same xeroxed crap that you've stared at every time before. When you're doing it on your own you at least have music and what not to help you tune out.

ANYWAYS. A lot failed the stairs, but they said that so far most that return to just retest on those do fine. The guys I spoke to that failed it are in good shape and have practiced well above the required amount, so it really does just come down to nerves and what not. I think they will have a pretty good pass rate once they get everyone through the 2nd time on the stairs.

And to everyone planning on Lasik/PRK just for this: Hold off! The doc said they changed the rules recently, you're allowed to do the vision test with your glasses, I don't think they are really DQing people any more for having glasses. And, at worst, if for some reason they give you **** about it when the time comes, you can get lasik and be 100% again in a very short amount of time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    A few things I'm wondering today.

First, if they are going to be so rigorous with candidates from 2500, how will they get to a class of anywhere close to 300 by January? Does that mean they will push the class back a month or two in order to try and put in some folks from the OC? They have never actually officially said the class will start in January…

Also, I wonder if they'll be this rigorous with medicals and backgrounds for candidates from the OC, considering that could kick open a hornets nest of criticism that they are using medicals and investigations to favor one group or another…

Anyways, all things we'll know the answer to before too long. Good luck to everyone on 2500 doing their medicals and CPAT in the near future.
    They are not being any more rigorous than they have been before, or will be in the future. I'm betting the pass rate will go up as people come back to do the 2nd run on the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    Oh and when I was there Monday I noticed numbers on this board in the main room. The head guy (Frank, super cool. Helped me out with the whole thing because I didnt even have mail!) He explained that the 206/127 was for the number of guys that have had medicals as of Monday and how many have to come back. So as of Nov 12th 206 guys had medicals and 127 need to come back!
    First off, sorry about your loss, I can't imagine losing your mother and then having home and work seriously ****ed up by the storm. One of my best friends [and partners] died in July, totally out of the blue, and I wish I had something insightful to say, but all I really know is I'm still recovering from the loss, and it takes a long time to get over losing someone close to you.

Second, I saw the board you are referring to. I asked a little bit about it, but didn't want to be nosy. The ratio all the way to the right, that you said was 206/127. The # today, meaning as of yesterday, was 320s/203. Is that to say 320s have gone and 203 needed to come back? Damn. They still got another 200 candidates to go through though, and as said before I think the pass rate will go up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    They are not being any more rigorous than they have been before, or will be in the future. I'm betting the pass rate will go up as people come back to do the 2nd run on the stairs.

First off, sorry about your loss, I can't imagine losing your mother and then having home and work seriously ****ed up by the storm. One of my best friends [and partners] died in July, totally out of the blue, and I wish I had something insightful to say, but all I really know is I'm still recovering from the loss, and it takes a long time to get over losing someone close to you.

Second, I saw the board you are referring to. I asked a little bit about it, but didn't want to be nosy. The ratio all the way to the right, that you said was 206/127. The # today, meaning as of yesterday, was 320s/203. Is that to say 320s have gone and 203 needed to come back? Damn. They still got another 200 candidates to go through though, and as said before I think the pass rate will go up.
    This is almost 1:3 ratio as of right now, that's crazy. Mind you you guys haven't even taken the cpat and plus the 1.5 mile before the academy. I'm getting more and more convinced that they will not have a full class of 320sh as before. Probably in the low to mid 200s.

EDIT: sorry, where are my manners. Congrats on passing your medical bro, I know you excited as f$ck right now cause I was jumping when I got cleared a few years back lol.
    Last edited by Jukez; 11-15-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Forum Member

Passed the medical. My HR wasn't as good this time around, but I would say that it's probably nerves, as well as the fact that you are just staring at a wall for 5 minutes and have nothing but your thoughts, and the same xeroxed crap that you've stared at every time before. When you're doing it on your own you at least have music and what not to help you tune out.

ANYWAYS. A lot failed the stairs, but they said that so far most that return to just retest on those do fine. The guys I spoke to that failed it are in good shape and have practiced well above the required amount, so it really does just come down to nerves and what not. I think they will have a pretty good pass rate once they get everyone through the 2nd time on the stairs.

And to everyone planning on Lasik/PRK just for this: Hold off! The doc said they changed the rules recently, you're allowed to do the vision test with your glasses, I don't think they are really DQing people any more for having glasses. And, at worst, if for some reason they give you **** about it when the time comes, you can get lasik and be 100% again in a very short amount of time.
    Dude you just made my day and saved me 4g's on LASIK. Im assuming you can take it with contacts as well correct?
    Congrats btw, although I knew you would make it with ease.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    This is almost 1:3 ratio as of right now, that's crazy. Mind you you guys haven't even taken the cpat and plus the 1.5 mile before the academy. I'm getting more and more convinced that they will not have a full class of 320sh as before. Probably in the low to mid 200s.
    What kills me is if you are in good enough shape to pass the medical there's no reason you should fail either the CPAT/run, but yet people probably will. The only thing I fretted about was the medical, and now it's just smooth sailing in my mind, yet somehow others won't make it.

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Dude you just made my day and saved me 4g's on LASIK. Im assuming you can take it with contacts as well correct?
    Congrats btw, although I knew you would make it with ease.
    Thanks, I guess you can? I don't know, but I wouldn't worry about it that much. The things they seem to be mainly concerned with are: general health/fitness (are you a fat bastard?), have you had any ortho/joint/back issues/surgeries, and do you have any pre-existing respiratory/cardiac issues (asthma being the obvious big one).

Forum Member

Congrats Manhattan Medic! You're almost there. Just keep your head down, keep training and before you know it you'll be at the Rock. We're all pulling for you.

Forum Member

This forum is a gold mine. I've been looking everywhere for more info on the upcoming FDNY hiring process. I scored high enough on the exam to make it into the first class should I pass the other requirements, but I haven't heard anything about the next steps yet. I've read through the past few pages of posts and I can't figure out if everyone here is referring to the medical and CPAT for the FDNY EMT's or for actual FDNY firefighter candidates from exam 2000. Can anyone clarify? Has anyone from the FDNY exam 2000 been contacted about the medical, CPAT, etc? Thanks a lot and congrats to all those passing the next steps. Looking forward to being a part of the discussions.

Forum Member

Everything here is pertaining to the firefighter process, unless otherwise stated. They are currently processing list 2500 for the planned January class. Medicals are nearly finished, and CPATs start next week.

MembersZone Subscriber

Congrats Manhattan and Jerk Alert.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if I'm a bit out of the loop, but I took exam 2000. Does anyone know when they will start pulling from that list?

Forum Member

There's speculation that if the # of hirable candidates off of 2500 is well below needed to fill an academy class (~350) they could push back the first class and tap into 2000 to make sure they fill it. If not then they will pretty much have to for the 2nd class, though that class may include the 293 priority hires, or some amount of them.

Forum Member

Any word that they may put the 2nd class through once the first class is half complete? I think that plan would benefit all stakeholders. Well maybe notthe instructors at the rock lol. But something tells me none of us are going to be too fond of them anyway

Forum Member

I've only ever heard that idea floated here. Honestly I don't see how they could fit that many people at the rock. There are only a finite amount of lockers, classrooms, etc.
    knicksh2o likes this.

Forum Member

I see. I'm hearing mixed info about when the first class from list 2000 will be called in. Most answers average around the academy for them starting in October. Anyone have similar info on this? Thanks a lot.

Forum Member

It's going to be before October for sure.. I would say May or June... The second class may be October

Forum Member

Thanks, I guess you can? I don't know, but I wouldn't worry about it that much. The things they seem to be mainly concerned with are: general health/fitness (are you a fat bastard?), have you had any ortho/joint/back issues/surgeries, and do you have any pre-existing respiratory/cardiac issues (asthma being the obvious big one).
    I had a cortisone shot or two in my back like 10 years ago or more from deadlifting with bad form. Will this DQ me?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

What cortisone shot? I don't know what you're talking about.

Forum Member

Just to be sure you were told that they are allowing the vision test to be done w glasses and or contacts. Can any promotional guys on here attest to that or have any knowledge that it is actually happening?
    FD Exam # 2000
    Score- 102
    List- 10xx
    CPAT- Passed
    Psych- Passed
    Medical - Passed
    Retest for stairs -Passed
    Medically cleared for hire....."can't wait" -Bart Scott

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frankp88 View Post
    Just to be sure you were told that they are allowing the vision test to be done w glasses and or contacts. Can any promotional guys on here attest to that or have any knowledge that it is actually happening?
    I was told that. Today. It actually happened to me. I was asked if I'd like to do the test with or without my glasses. I did without, cause my prescription is pretty mild, but still.

Thread Information