Like Tree10460Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    The background investigation meeting (whatever is in March) isn't the same as CPAT orientation. Business casual to me would be nice pants, button up shirt and tie. Because I'm a slob that's never worked any real jobs besides EMS, I don't have a lot of business casual, or even many suits, so business casual for me has always meant I just throw on my cheap suit. Do whatever pleases you. No one is going to yell at you for being over dressed.
    Ya I know the two meetings are different, but I figured for the CPAT orientation we would dress in athletic clothes, not business casual. I figured we'd need a suit for the investigation meeting.

Forum Member

any vets here who got your packets a few questions

1-you dont list military as employment correct? that just stays in the mil section
    2-for residencese you lived in the past ten years if on active duty you can give the base you lived on if you didnt live on the economy

another thing, i worked in a grocery store for a while in hs then went to college for a semester then the military, i plan on listing the store but dont remmeber any of my managers. it was almost 13 years ago. my employment history isnt to extensive, when i got out of the cg i worked for a company for about 2 years and decided i better get back in school and get some credits so ive been on the post 9-11 gi bill which pays me more than if i was to work anyplace(for the most part) will my lack of employment reflect negatively?

Forum Member

I know of several out of state people, on the list, claiming residency. I suspect there will be a lot of people claiming residency that don't and haven't lived in the city.

So, I've been in the Dominican Republic, visiting my girlfriend's family since early yesterday. Before I left, like a lot of you, I received the email about the cpat orientation. That was some decent news.

Since I've been here, I have eaten all fresh food. Fresh pork. Fresh chicken. Fresh eggs. Seriously, we went into the country side and got it from my girlfriend's family. The meals have been unbelievable. They make everything from scratch. And the fruit, my gosh.

I also have been training, in the mornings. The weather in in the low 80's and it hasn't too humid. Her family took me to a local college to run. They have a dirt track and pull bars, dips bars and parallel bars. I drink coconut water right from the coconut.To top it off, her mother is paying a masseuse to come to the house to give me a massage each day after I train. I also have swam in a beautiful mountain creek. And ridden horseback.

Now, I'm figuring I have a packet (2xx) waiting at home. I don't return for a few days yet. I see someone said you have to confirm the 'interview' date. Is there a deadline for that call?
    Last edited by Minerva; 02-02-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Forum Member

Is it true that the number 1 guy on the promotion lust dropped out because he was scared to go in smoke house?

Forum Member

Minerva, does your girl have any friends with family? I'm not even joking...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    I also have been training, in the mornings. The weather in in the low 80's and it hasn't too humid.

I say this with all due respect, GO SCREW! The amount of laundry I have to do every 3 days due to training outdoors in 10 degree weather is ridiculous lol.

Forum Member

Alrite thanks a lot medic, also i have a few minor charges against me which were dismissed and one which was dropped, do i still have to list it on the application where it says any arrests? and how bad does that look, its all minor charges no drugs, stealing or violence

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SnatchBK View Post
    Alrite thanks a lot medic, also i have a few minor charges against me which were dismissed and one which was dropped, do i still have to list it on the application where it says any arrests? and how bad does that look, its all minor charges no drugs, stealing or violence
    Everyones has summonses and stuff. Wouldnt worry about it as long as you tell the truth. Im pretty sure you have to say everyhing even if it was expunged.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    I know of several out of state people, on the list, claiming residency. I suspect there will be a lot of people claiming residency that don't and haven't lived in the city.

So, I've been in the Dominican Republic, visiting my girlfriend's family since early yesterday. Before I left, like a lot of you, I received the email about the cpat orientation. That was some decent news.

Since I've been here, I have eaten all fresh food. Fresh pork. Fresh chicken. Fresh eggs. Seriously, we went into the country side and got it from my girlfriend's family. The meals have been unbelievable. They make everything from scratch. And the fruit, my gosh.

I also have been training, in the mornings. The weather in in the low 80's and it hasn't too humid. Her family took me to a local college to run. They have a dirt track and pull bars, dips bars and parallel bars. I drink coconut water right from the coconut.To top it off, her mother is paying a masseuse to come to the house to give me a massage each day after I train. I also have swam in a beautiful mountain creek. And ridden horseback.

Now, I'm figuring I have a packet (2xx) waiting at home. I don't return for a few days yet. I see someone said you have to confirm the 'interview' date. Is there a deadline for that call?

Yea that was me, it states you must confirm the interview in the second paragraph. "only candidates with confirmed seats will be interviewed." You can confirm mon-fri 9-5

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by john_smith1 View Post
    Everyones has summonses and stuff.
    Ummm. I didn't.

Forum Member

nothing in the mail again today. One more day before I begin to worry.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Ya I know the two meetings are different, but I figured for the CPAT orientation we would dress in athletic clothes, not business casual. I figured we'd need a suit for the investigation meeting.
    You will not be doing anything athletic at the orientation, just an introduction and tour and what not. They will probably offer times for you to sign up for the regular training, and instruct you on what to wear/bring when coming to the weekly training. Don't over think it. If it just says show up in business casual with ID and whatever else... then just do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nev7248 View Post
    Is it true that the number 1 guy on the promotion lust dropped out because he was scared to go in smoke house?
    No, while I did hear that someone dropped out due to the smokehouse the #1 guy was not it, he just happened to quit on the same day.

I don't really know, I didn't have anything on my record to list. If you aren't sure then at least gather the pertinent info for each, write it down somewhere, leave the form blank, and then when you talk to your investigator you can figure it out. They don't care about minor things as long as you supply the documentation to show that whatever it was was resolved, all they care about is disclosure.

When are the CPAT orientation sessions?
    Last edited by Manhattan Medic; 02-02-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Forum Member

What is the smoke house and what does it consist of besides smoke? Do you have to figure your way around inside, etc. Sounds very intimidating if people are scared to go inside.

Also, what made this guy the number one guy?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    What is the smoke house and what does it consist of besides smoke? Do you have to figure your way around inside, etc. Sounds very intimidating if people are scared to go inside.

I don't know the specific details of the person who quit because of it but if I had to guess I'd say he did the evolution and decided after that this wasn't for him.

e: The question was in regards to the person with the highest score on #2500, aka the #1 guy.
    Last edited by Manhattan Medic; 02-02-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Forum Member

I didnt get my packet either today...6xx and I did get the email......

Forum Member

Can someone please explain what the "evolution" is? Also, someone elaborate a little on the "Smokehouse" event. Thanks
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

MembersZone Subscriber

I wish USPS was open on Sunday!!
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Can someone please explain what the "evolution" is? Also, someone elaborate a little on the "Smokehouse" event. Thanks
    Come on now, I'm not going to spoil any of the fun for you guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Come on now, I'm not going to spoil any of the fun for you guys.
    Thanks for not spoiling it. I like the element of surprise.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Dude honestly, i wouldnt worry too much. From the looks of things, pretty soon both Charles Manson and O.J Simpson will be able to get on the job; in spite of age or criminal activity. The package i recieved contains information directing FELONS to a pathway into the department. And another section of the package says that not only will PAST criminal charges amd convictions not bar you from employment, but that...wait for it...even PENDING criminal charges will not bar you.

Im like "PENDING???". So if im on trial for murder or assault, i can still attend academy at the rock as long as i havent been convicted yet?? And may possibly still be able to attend after im convicted and served my sentence, as long as i still meet the age requirement???

Yeah dude i wouldnt worry about a minor summons at all, even if it was drugs, stealing or something violent. Very far cry from the NYPD investigative process. Very far.
    DJ_Reverse likes this.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Thanks for not spoiling it. I like the element of surprise.
    Umm, doesnt your signature clearly state that the bravest should "have the clearest vision of what is before them"??? lol just sayin.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Umm, doesnt your signature clearly state that the bravest should "have the clearest vision of what is before them"??? lol just sayin.
    Lol you got me.

Had to do a research paper on Thucydides while in the army and really liked the quote and it's kinda just stuck with me throughout the years.
    Last edited by zachryw2001; 02-02-2013 at 06:14 PM.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

Forum Member

MM,
    Not sure if anyone answered you about cpat orientation: feb 11-16. 6pm except Saturday, they have an 8 am and another one later in the day.
    Exam 2000
    List #1**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Lol you got me.

Had to do a research paper on Thucydides while in the army and really liked the quote and it's kinda just stuck with me throughout the years.
    Lol I hear ya. Good luck my fellow brother in arms
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

ALmostthere: What is the smoke house and what does it consist of besides smoke? Do you have to figure your way around inside, etc. Sounds very intimidating if people are scared to go inside.

With the volunteer fire department im on when we did a smokehouse evolution it is pretty much when they load a house or building up with a **** load of smoke to where you literally cant see your hand in front of you. You go in with a couple of guys and you have to do a search. We did about 4 evolutions each time having to try and find a dummy that they hide. It does get a little nerve wrecking in there because even though your with 3 or 4 guys it feels as if you are alone because you cant see anything and you can barley hear your members. It is a good exercise though because it does teach you how to use your senses in a fire.
    mocon337 likes this.

Thread Information