Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 273 of 1193 FirstFirst ... 173223263270271272273274275276283323373773 ... LastLast
Results 5,441 to 5,460 of 23841
Like Tree9325Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Hey guys,

I am looking for the pdf file from NYCERS regarding FDNY tier 6 retiring plan but I cant seem to find it anywhere. Do we fall in the special tier 6 22 year plan? I looked over that one but it only mentions sanitation and corrections. No mention on FDNY or NYPD. Any help with be great. Post a link if you have one please.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Hey guys,

I am looking for the pdf file from NYCERS regarding FDNY tier 6 retiring plan but I cant seem to find it anywhere. Do we fall in the special tier 6 22 year plan? I looked over that one but it only mentions sanitation and corrections. No mention on FDNY or NYPD. Any help with be great. Post a link if you have one please.
    NYCERS does not administer FDNY's pension, they run it themselves, which is why there is little info available. I'm still not entirely sure if FDNY/NYPD falls into Tier 6, or if they are still Tier 3. Regardless of which tier, I believe with either you are looking at a minimum of 22.5 years of service, however there are certain benefits that are given if you wait till 25 years on to retire.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    NYCERS does not administer FDNY's pension, they run it themselves, which is why there is little info available. I'm still not entirely sure if FDNY/NYPD falls into Tier 6, or if they are still Tier 3. Regardless of which tier, I believe with either you are looking at a minimum of 22.5 years of service, however there are certain benefits that are given if you wait till 25 years on to retire.
    Oh no wonder I can't find it. I was planning on 25 years anyways since Im only in my twenties. Do you know how much FDNY retirees receive on an annual basis after retirement? I read with the changes they now look at your top 5 annual salaries but no where does it say what the percentage of that averaged salary you will receive?

Also I read that firefighters do not receive social security. Is this true?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Oh no wonder I can't find it. I was planning on 25 years anyways since Im only in my twenties. Do you know how much FDNY retirees receive on an annual basis after retirement? I read with the changes they now look at your top 5 annual salaries but no where does it say what the percentage of that averaged salary you will receive?

Also I read that firefighters do not receive social security. Is this true?
    It's 50% of the calculated final average salary. Also as far as I can tell FDNY and NYPD were excluded from tier 6, and are still in the tier 3 system that they converted to when Patterson killed tier 2. Firefighters in tier 3 will lose 50% of their social security benefit, by way of the pension system deducting that amount from their pension checks when that person starts to receive social security payments. Considering if you do 25 years and are able to retire in your early 50s, while enjoying the full COLA that comes with doing 25 years in tier 3, the 50% social security offset should hopefully not hurt all that much. Also from day 1 of city service everybody should be doing a 401k or 457k.

Some light reading:
    http://www.ufanyc.org/cms/contents/view/12695
    http://www.thomanntax.com/wp-content...r-2vsTier3.pdf
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycppf/downl...tier_3_spd.pdf
    Ladders 4 and KingHenrik like this.

Forum Member

Manhattan medic... No I didn't have brain damage/ penetration or any deformities. Basically they sewed my nose back on.. And grafted skin on the tip of it. I passed all the concussion tests, CT was negative, they needed to put splints up my nostrils.. And maybe 75-100 stitches..

I have no issue with a mask, my volly dept uses Scott so I'm good there..and I never received a permanent profile in the army.. Was cleared for duty a few monthes after I got hurt..

I even took a breathing function test to see if my breathing was messed up and passed that..

But the bottom line is I got rocked by an IED..

Forum Member

Hey Medic I just sent you a PM.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 99
    List #: 4XXX

Forum Member

It's 50% of the calculated final average salary. Also as far as I can tell FDNY and NYPD were excluded from tier 6, and are still in the tier 3 system that they converted to when Patterson killed tier 2. Firefighters in tier 3 will lose 50% of their social security benefit, by way of the pension system deducting that amount from their pension checks when that person starts to receive social security payments. Considering if you do 25 years and are able to retire in your early 50s, while enjoying the full COLA that comes with doing 25 years in tier 3, the 50% social security offset should hopefully not hurt all that much. Also from day 1 of city service everybody should be doing a 401k or 457k.

Some light reading:
    http://www.ufanyc.org/cms/contents/view/12695
    http://www.thomanntax.com/wp-content...r-2vsTier3.pdf
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycppf/downl...tier_3_spd.pdf

Great links and info thanks alot. I was honestly under the impression that it was over 50% FAS but oh well, still the best job!

Forum Member

As far as the promotion to ff goes I understand that there should be 300 in the first class and not sure about how many in the second class. But just curious is this normal as far as the promotion goes to hire 300 plus or is it just because of the low staffing on the fire side since they haven't hired as normal. I was also told that they try and give all eligible people on the promotion list a chance?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Manhattan medic... No I didn't have brain damage/ penetration or any deformities. Basically they sewed my nose back on.. And grafted skin on the tip of it. I passed all the concussion tests, CT was negative, they needed to put splints up my nostrils.. And maybe 75-100 stitches..

I have no issue with a mask, my volly dept uses Scott so I'm good there..and I never received a permanent profile in the army.. Was cleared for duty a few monthes after I got hurt..

I even took a breathing function test to see if my breathing was messed up and passed that..

But the bottom line is I got rocked by an IED..
    Does your nose feel weird? can you feel the hardware in it?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

There's no hardware.. They took them out like 2 weeks after surgery. Just sucked because I couldn't breath through my nose at all.. Or laugh because of the stitches..

I remember watching the chapelle show, the 1 where he was prince, trying not to rip out a stitch.

The tip of my nose is still a little numb but other then that I'm good to go.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    There's no hardware.. They took them out like 2 weeks after surgery. Just sucked because I couldn't breath through my nose at all.. Or laugh because of the stitches..

I remember watching the chapelle show, the 1 where he was prince, trying not to rip out a stitch.

The tip of my nose is still a little numb but other then that I'm good to go.
    Thanks for your service!!
    zachryw2001 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EBHFD68 View Post
    As far as the promotion to ff goes I understand that there should be 300 in the first class and not sure about how many in the second class. But just curious is this normal as far as the promotion goes to hire 300 plus or is it just because of the low staffing on the fire side since they haven't hired as normal. I was also told that they try and give all eligible people on the promotion list a chance?
    This is a unique circumstance in the same way that everything surrounding 2000 is unique. How many will be in future classes is hard to estimate. As far as "will filling an entire class right away" become a norm that they repeat with future lists.. Again, hard to say. Per NYS civil service law the city should be exhausting the promotional list before touching 2000, and they pretty much will with this class. The only reason they would normally stagger the promotional candidates is to protect staffing levels in EMS, but we're over head count right now in preparation for this.

Also BigGriff that's pretty hilarious.

Forum Member

This is a unique circumstance in the same way that everything surrounding 2000 is unique. How many will be in future classes is hard to estimate. As far as "will filling an entire class right away" become a norm that they repeat with future lists.. Again, hard to say. Per NYS civil service law the city should be exhausting the promotional list before touching 2000, and they pretty much will with this class. The only reason they would normally stagger the promotional candidates is to protect staffing levels in EMS, but we're over head count right now in preparation for this.
    Thanks for the response with that said should we expect to see another promotion exam given in 2 years or would it be closer to 4 years when the next OC test comes out given the hit EMS will be taking?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EBHFD68 View Post
    Thanks for the response with that said should we expect to see another promotion exam given in 2 years or would it be closer to 4 years when the next OC test comes out given the hit EMS will be taking?
    No clue. I believe I've seen the @JoinFDNY account on facebook say they are only offering the promotion every 4 years with the OC. Really it shouldn't matter, because if they held the test again in 2 years there would be a proportionally smaller # of people signing up to take it.

Forum Member

Anyone else notice that when your on this thread you feel like everyone got a really low number on the test?

Most people who post their score are usually in the top 300.

I hope it is just the smart people who took the test who are actually on this forum.
    Last edited by SirEd; 11-18-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    Anyone else notice that when your on this thread you feel like everyone got a really low number on the test?

I hope it is just the smart people who took the test who are actually on this forum.
    I assume the people who are not so high on the list don't really have nothing to gain by coming on here because they have some time to wait, I know if I had a little while to wait I would not be on here the anxiety would kill me hearing about classes being put in and me just waiting lol but that's just my .02
    01-13

Forum Member

Anyone know how many steps are in a "standard" flight of stairs? The step machine I use measures in flights, but not steps.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Anyone know how many steps are in a "standard" flight of stairs? The step machine I use measures in flights, but not steps.
    I believe 12 to 15 , Lt. down at the rock said it's equals about 14 flights in total.
    01-13

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post

Lots on this thread did well and lots got screwed by the second half meant to screw us. Lots not in this thread but high on the list are gonna lose their residency credit that they lied about.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 11-18-2012 at 06:51 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Lots on this thread did well and lots got screwed by the second half meant to screw us. Lots not in this thread but high on the list are gonna lose their residency credit that they lied about.
    Everyone on this thread is pretty much equally serious about their aspirations for the job, high score or having gotten screwed over.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Thread Information