Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 274 of 1169 FirstFirst ... 174224264271272273274275276277284324374774 ... LastLast
Results 5,461 to 5,480 of 23365
Like Tree9142Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    NYCERS does not administer FDNY's pension, they run it themselves, which is why there is little info available. I'm still not entirely sure if FDNY/NYPD falls into Tier 6, or if they are still Tier 3. Regardless of which tier, I believe with either you are looking at a minimum of 22.5 years of service, however there are certain benefits that are given if you wait till 25 years on to retire.
    We're tier 3. Overtime is capped (basically excluded) from the defined benefit upon retirement. Must do 22.5 years, 25 (or defer payments till 25) if you want full COLA. Pension is reduced by social security as mentioned.

But, the worst of the changes come with injuries/line of duty deaths. There's basically no more disability pensions, if you get hurt (and it has to be over 5 years on I believe), you only get 40-something % of your pension, minus social security disability payments. Which, is obviously a huge drop from the 75% with it. God forbid you are killed in the line of duty, your family only gets a few years of salary. It's a disgrace.
    Desire4theJob likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Everyone on this thread is pretty much equally serious about their aspirations for the job, high score or having gotten screwed over.
    I agree. Hope we all make it.
    mocon337 and Dannyvale like this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eng1irons View Post
    We're tier 3. Overtime is capped (basically excluded) from the defined benefit upon retirement. Must do 22.5 years, 25 (or defer payments till 25) if you want full COLA. Pension is reduced by social security as mentioned.

But, the worst of the changes come with injuries/line of duty deaths. There's basically no more disability pensions, if you get hurt (and it has to be over 5 years on I believe), you only get 40-something % of your pension, minus social security disability payments. Which, is obviously a huge drop from the 75% with it. God forbid you are killed in the line of duty, your family only gets a few years of salary. It's a disgrace.
    I know it's a shame, but it's kind of hard to conceptualize when not yet on the job, and also at a relatively young age. I think the union may be able to negotiate some of those disability/LODD benefits back when financial times are better, and [unfortunately] probably after a tier 3 guy gets seriously hurt or killed. The other advantage right now is that the COLA in tier 3 is way better than 2, and if you make it to 25 years in one piece it's probably a better deal than tier 2. That could be bargained away to get back the disability stuff.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eng1irons View Post

When you say overtime is capped do you mean that any overtime received during your tenure is not included in the FAS?
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    When you say overtime is capped do you mean that any overtime received during your tenure is not included in the FAS?
    I believe it's a minimal amount, and it the amount included is capped based on how much overtime done previously, preventing someone from doing 80-100 hour weeks for 3 years and padding their pension like crazy.

This is why the 457/401k and a decent side job are important.

Forum Member

I know it's a shame, but it's kind of hard to conceptualize when not yet on the job, and also at a relatively young age. I think the union may be able to negotiate some of those disability/LODD benefits back when financial times are better, and [unfortunately] probably after a tier 3 guy gets seriously hurt or killed. The other advantage right now is that the COLA in tier 3 is way better than 2, and if you make it to 25 years in one piece it's probably a better deal than tier 2. That could be bargained away to get back the disability stuff.
    Again I will say this, lets not worry about the pros and cons of the tiers just yet, lets get on the job first which is more important. Someone once told me that after this whole scandal with not enough minorities on the job and NOW they got some "good" numbers of this exam. Is only a matter of time where the minorities that are getting on will say well "how come now that fdny is hiring more minorities they gave us a crappy pension system". Guess what's going to happen to everyone who got on from this exam?. Don't take it as this is something that will definitely happen but quite honestly it feels like a BIG possibility the way things are right now.
    Last edited by Jukez; 11-19-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Forum Member

I believe it's a minimal amount, and it the amount included is capped based on how much overtime done previously, preventing someone from doing 80-100 hour weeks for 3 years and padding their pension like crazy.

This is why the 457/401k and a decent side job are important.
    Gotcha

And to respond to Jukez above: Providing for a family and a future is just as important as getting the job itself. Everyone needs to get the information about the pension system before they sign up for a city job. Its not like its a standard job where your can come and go as you please. Once you sign up, its 25 years. It is probably the biggest decision of all of our lives and having all the information to make the right one is important.
    vekdoggs75, mocon337 and rcfd31 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Again I will say this, lets not worry about the pros and cons of the tiers just yet, lets get on the job first which is more important. Someone once told me that after this whole scandal with not enough minorities on the job and NOW they got some "good" numbers of this exam. Is only a matter of time where the minorities that are getting on will say well "how come now that fdny is hiring more minorities they gave us a crappy pension system". Guess what's going to happen to everyone who got on from this exam?. Don't take it as this is something that will definitely happen but quite honestly it feels like a BIG possibility the way things are right now.
    I agree with you, I just want the job.
    Jukez likes this.
    01-13

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Gotcha

And to respond to Jukez above: Providing for a family and a future is just as important as getting the job itself. Everyone needs to get the information about the pension system before they sign up for a city job. Its not like its a standard job where your can come and go as you please. Once you sign up, its 25 years. It is probably the biggest decision of all of our lives and having all the information to make the right one is important.
    No one said that our family's future is not important but regardless the benefits are way better than anything out there. You will not find a job which for some of us can retire before you hit 50. Everyone will tell you that you will not become rich doing this job, most firefighters I know have second jobs to make ends meet and make that extra buck. All I'm saying is that I will worry about it once I get on. God forbid you break a leg in the academy, guess what your not going to be on the job and you won't have to worry about the pension at all, so what's more important as of right now?
    Dannyvale likes this.

Forum Member

if you hurt yourself in the academy, they dont let you go back into another academy?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    if you hurt yourself in the academy, they dont let you go back into another academy?
    I think it depends on how you were doing in the physical and academic side of the academy. If you were doing good then they would recycle you to the next academy.

Forum Member

I was training the stair mill yesterday. I knew it would be hard, I used to be able to do 100 pounds. Yesterday I could only do 50 pounds for 4 minutes and then did another set for 3 minutes. Plan on training it every work out till I can do 75 pounds for an extended amount of time.
    How many steps per second is it supposed to be again?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

59 steps/min.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by J0hnnyb0y View Post
    59 steps/min.
    Wow so I did even worse than I thought. I set it at 50. 59 sounds hard. After doing the step mill, My CNS was shot and the rest of my work out sucked.
    I am even more surprised that so many people pass that part of the test. More of testament to how much often I need to train for it.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Giveback are forever. Once we lose a benefit, it's gone and not coming back.

A tier 3 guy was killed in the line of duty last year. Nothings going to change.

COLA is the same for tier 2 and 3. It's set by the gov't, isn't it?

Forum Member

Wow so I did even worse than I thought. I set it at 50. 59 sounds hard. After doing the step mill, My CNS was shot and the rest of my work out sucked.
    I am even more surprised that so many people pass that part of the test. More of testament to how much often I need to train for it.
    so much of it has to do with nerves and breathing. if you go in there nervous you will psyche yourself out. go in there thinking that its a breeze, and inhale slowly over 4 steps and exhale slowly over 4 steps, and keep your breathing rate steady at that exact rate the entire time and you'll pass. avoid caffeine the day off the test and of course train hard until then and you'll be fine.
    Dannyvale likes this.

Forum Member

Train if you was to get called Tomorow !!! How's your 1.5 run ? And what's the furthest you can run ?

Forum Member

How is everyone's 1.5? I want to know how I stack I'm up against you guys. Had a personal best today at 11:31. Pretty happy but I felt like I was going to die afterwards lol.
    Dannyvale likes this.

Forum Member

Hey guys, thanks for all the information posted so far, it's been great. I know it's hard to say but when do you guys think a list number just over 700 will be called? I was also wondering if you can defer a class, does anyone know if this is possible?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyvale View Post
    Train if you was to get called Tomorow !!! How's your 1.5 run ? And what's the furthest you can run ?
    I have years before I will get called but my 1.5 run is probably bad. I haven't started running yet. I have been strictly lifting weights, Deadlifts, squats, bench, changed my priorities and started training for conditioning yesterday. Shorter rest periods etc. My friend is in the 2000's so I will start running with him.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Thread Information