Like Tree9585Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jrugger View Post
    Hey guys, I hope all is well. I received my package the other day and i'm excited to start the process. Since there are promotions still waiting to enter the academy, a couple of hundred priority hires and over 700 guys from the OC starting the process, what happens to those that go through the hiring process but don't get into the academy? Isn't the CPAT, medical, and pysch all time sensitive?
    i know the medical is good for 12 months because i had to retake it twice for the last list.
    if i remember correctly CPAT is good for 3 years and the psych for 2.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by J0hnnyb0y View Post
    i know the medical is good for 12 months because i had to retake it twice for the last list.
    if i remember correctly CPAT is good for 3 years and the psych for 2.
    Thats for your answer. I guess a lot of us will go through the process and then just wait for the academy.

Forum Member

Priority hires do not deserve the position they are being given the opportunity to receive, that is my issue. I hope the instructors go harder on them but then they'll probably call EEO.

If you took the psych for another department(ie fdny ems) I heard that can carry over as long as its within a certain time frame so i dont have to retake a psych for fire. anyone know the validity to this?
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Priority hires do not deserve the position they are being given the opportunity to receive, that is my issue. I hope the instructors go harder on them but then they'll probably call EEO.

If you took the psych for another department(ie fdny ems) I heard that can carry over as long as its within a certain time frame so i dont have to retake a psych for fire. anyone know the validity to this?
    Yes, my friend is an emt promo and he did not have to retake his psych
    Test 2000
    List #: 57XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post

Will the instructors even know whos a PH from whos not? I dont think that knowledge goes past those involved in the applicant process division. It certainly shouldnt go past the instructors at least although i doubt theyll even know. I mean, i dont think any of the houses are gonna recieve memos saying "Youre getting 6 probies (2 of which were priority hires shhhh..)".

I dont think theyre that screwed up. But i could be wrong. That would be kinda funny tho lol.

Most likely those who get in as PH's wont hear anything from anybody at the house for the rest of their career unless they open their mouths. The issue itself will most definetely continue to be talked about but i wouldnt worry about any personal attacks of retaliation from any of the brothers themselves, the instructors or the department for that matter.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Neither do i expect to hear or see of any major cases of retaliation against priority hires by senior members of the department. It will most likely be a probie on probie issue for the first few years until the Vulcans find a new way to raise hell. Hell will be raised as long as the vulcans and every other racial group exist to cause division.
    coldblood92 likes this.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Will the instructors even know whos a PH from whos not? I dont think that knowledge goes past those involved in the applicant process division. It certainly shouldnt go past the instructors at least although i doubt theyll even know. I mean, i dont think any of the houses are gonna recieve memos saying "Youre getting 6 probies (2 of which were priority hires shhhh..)".

Of course they'll know. With each PH comes a handy dandy judge to help them pass all the tests in the academy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Sadly, they can hire those free-loaders, and they have to. That is, until the Second Circuit rules on the appeal.

Sorry to say, but the attitude from some guys here is that hiring them is inevitable and we should accept this assault on all of the hard work we've put in ourselves.

Stand-up for merit.
    Any idea if you think it will hold them back from this next class? I'm right on the verge of making it or not depending on if these PH's get caught up in court. My father (A current NYC FF) and my brother (who's in the academy now) both seem to believe that they won't make it into this class in July but a lot of you guys seem to think otherwise. Anyone who went to the Merit Matters meeting know any more about this? I was caught up at school otherwise I would have been there. I just refuse to believe that the right minded guys of the FDNY would let this slip by so easily without getting it to supreme court at least.

Forum Member

There wont be any "retaliation" because FDNY fire fighters aren't juvenile and vindictive.
    However if you were not on the original 2000 list then it seems to me that you are a Priority Hire.
    Once these "Priority Hires" get on the job, you will see a lot of ridiculous lawsuits and thats how you will know who is who.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 02-06-2013 at 12:09 AM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

I was basically going to say the same. The priority hires will probably give themselves up just by their actions and their age. Even with the raised age limit for the guys on the previous test that was frozen most will still be substantially older.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Any idea if you think it will hold them back from this next class? I'm right on the verge of making it or not depending on if these PH's get caught up in court. My father (A current NYC FF) and my brother (who's in the academy now) both seem to believe that they won't make it into this class in July but a lot of you guys seem to think otherwise. Anyone who went to the Merit Matters meeting know any more about this? I was caught up at school otherwise I would have been there. I just refuse to believe that the right minded guys of the FDNY would let this slip by so easily without getting it to supreme court at least.
    This is all I know from reading this thread. There were 745 priority hires eligibles to take the FDNY EXAM 2000. 490 of them passed. The PH's are already being processed for the summer class. The court hasn't made a ruling on whether the priority hiring list will be allowed or not. It's expected that they make a ruling before the summer class. The summer class is expected to start in Late July.
    Last edited by DannyD0pe; 02-06-2013 at 12:20 AM.

Forum Member

Priority hires will only be able to be identified by age really. Most of them will be around 40.
    HopefulFF likes this.

Forum Member

People will definitely know who the priority hires are. Along with their age, everyone has access to the the Promo and OC list, if ther name isn't on it then they are almost definitely a priority hire. If any of these guys think that no one will find out that they are a priority hire then they are just kidding themselves.

Im not on the job but in my eyes if your going on the job saying "I dot care if anyone on the job respects me" then your already starting off with the wrong attitude.
    Last edited by NycQ83; 02-06-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    mocon337 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    I was at the Merit Matters last night, it was very informative and I'd suggest all candidates try and make the next meeting. They are very welcoming and everyone will have a chance to speak and or have their questions answered.

One of the questions answered last night was about the priority hires and the appeal. The lawyers seem to think that even if the second circuit court overturns Garaufis' rulings the priority hires will still sneak in since they are already being processed for the July class. This is the fault of the city not the FDNY. The city failed to ask for a stay on Garaufis' rulings until the 2nd circuit court could rule on the appeal when it made sense 13 months ago. Now the city has asked for it but its too late in the game to stop the priority hires.

This is obviously not great news but I'm fairly confident that out of the 490 PH's who "passed" the test they'll be lucky if 100 ever see the rock.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Thanks for the update, River.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know how many promos are eligible for the July academy?
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Does anyone know how many promos are eligible for the July academy?
    They reached list # 710 for this class, but that 710 also includes people who didnt have their 2 years for promo at the time. I am not sure if they will have reached their 2 years by this summer, but I'm guessing it's around 200-210 people left to process.

Forum Member

Well, its nice to see that the process is starting to move along just a bit. It was nice to come home from a trip to the Dominican Republic and have a packet waiting in the mailbox. Its been a long wait for all many of us. Now, it seems, time will only tell how many of us will actually make the next class.

I highly recommend a trip to the Dominican Republic. If you know someone from there or who has family there, go along with them. That's the way to go. I spent most of my time on trips into the mountains there and man, is it beautiful.

I also visited the "bomberos" in Santiago and they were very friendly. It seems like no matter where you go, firefighters are pretty welcoming. The main station does between 5-10 runs per day, plus inspections, daily drill and 05:30 physical training. They do everything but EMS runs. At that station they have an engine, rear mount aerial, a rescue and a water tanker. They have only 6 stations to cover a population of about 600,000 residents. They work 24 hours on and 24 off. Meaning they only have two shifts. They make $5000 dominican pesos a month, which comes out to about $125 US dollars a month. Most of their gear is donated to them and much of it is in poor shape. However, they seem to have much pride and most of the men on duty had clean, pressed uniforms, were clean shaven and looked professional. It was a good visit. I will be going back to the firehouse on my next visit and will be supplying the meal.

Also, just remember that this is a public forums and anyone can join. The instructors at the Fire Academy always seem to be able to figure out who people are, so be smart about what is written here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    I was at the Merit Matters last night, it was very informative and I'd suggest all candidates try and make the next meeting. They are very welcoming and everyone will have a chance to speak and or have their questions answered.

One of the questions answered last night was about the priority hires and the appeal. The lawyers seem to think that even if the second circuit court overturns Garaufis' rulings the priority hires will still sneak in since they are already being processed for the July class. This is the fault of the city not the FDNY. The city failed to ask for a stay on Garaufis' rulings until the 2nd circuit court could rule on the appeal when it made sense 13 months ago. Now the city has asked for it but its too late in the game to stop the priority hires.

This is obviously not great news but I'm fairly confident that out of the 490 PH's who "passed" the test they'll be lucky if 100 ever see the rock.
    Thanks for the update dude. I agree with you on the rate of PHs getting through to the Rock. I would feel pretty darn good if I had a list # in the top 550 right about now. Unfortunately I do not.

Also I had a bad feeling about trusting the City lawyers on this appeal. I feel like this **** was all planned out by Bloomy. It's a politcal win/win for the Mayor and Dept heads. They can say they were always against the Judge's policy but subsequently boast about the proby classes' diversity when these humps get in.

Forum Member

River6019, I was there last night but am still confused and need to be reminded, What was the second half of the lawsuit that should have been implemented but wasn't and what was the first.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    Also, just remember that this is a public forums and anyone can join. The instructors at the Fire Academy always seem to be able to figure out who people are, so be smart about what is written here.
    do you mean no expressing ourselves about dislike for the priority decision. Just curious what you think they will not like? I will try to adjust what I say accordingly.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    Well, its nice to see that the process is starting to move along just a bit. It was nice to come home from a trip to the Dominican Republic and have a packet waiting in the mailbox. Its been a long wait for all many of us. Now, it seems, time will only tell how many of us will actually make the next class.

I highly recommend a trip to the Dominican Republic. If you know someone from there or who has family there, go along with them. That's the way to go. I spent most of my time on trips into the mountains there and man, is it beautiful.

I also visited the "bomberos" in Santiago and they were very friendly. It seems like no matter where you go, firefighters are pretty welcoming. The main station does between 5-10 runs per day, plus inspections, daily drill and 05:30 physical training. They do everything but EMS runs. At that station they have an engine, rear mount aerial, a rescue and a water tanker. They have only 6 stations to cover a population of about 600,000 residents. They work 24 hours on and 24 off. Meaning they only have two shifts. They make $5000 dominican pesos a month, which comes out to about $125 US dollars a month. Most of their gear is donated to them and much of it is in poor shape. However, they seem to have much pride and most of the men on duty had clean, pressed uniforms, were clean shaven and looked professional. It was a good visit. I will be going back to the firehouse on my next visit and will be supplying the meal.

Senator Menendez LOVESSSSS the DR
    HopefulFF likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    do you mean no expressing ourselves about dislike for the priority decision. Just curious what you think they will not like? I will try to adjust what I say accordingly.
    Personally I don't think they're going to like hearing us spout our opinions about anything lol. We are not even probies....we are candidates, the lowest of the low, but we still represent the FDNY with everything we say. This forum is meant for one purpose and that is to share valid information and advice. There used to be an academy drill instructor who posted here regularly but he has since retired from the job.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post

Great thank you for the response.

I'm still a bit confused on what options are available for these PH's. Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand is that lets say a PH passes all the requirements. Does the medical, physical and his investigation and all of these things. It's here where I'm confused. They can take the job and go to the academy OR they can take a lump sum of money, is that correct? Now lets pretend #1 on the list of 490 PH's takes the money. Does that mean that a spot at the rock is still open and now #2 on the PH list has the same option? Or does "taking the money" remove a spot at the academy? I'm sorry if I made that confusing.

With OC list number in the low 400's what do you think my chances of making this first class are? (even with this PH nonsense)

Forum Member

To the guys in the promo class. How is it going?

Thread Information