Like Tree11242Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Would our face book group be private or can anyone see?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Would our face book group be private or can anyone see?
    I'd make it private. 1. So that not just any jabroni can join and 2. I know the city does snoop around so it'd be as closed (or exclusive if that's what you wanna call it haha) as possible. Not that there's any sketchy sh*t going on haha, but hey who wants to worry about lack of privacy.
    Last edited by mocon337; 02-06-2013 at 11:15 PM.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

PM me if you're interested I suppose
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    I say we get a private facebook group going. I think it'd be good to put some names to faces and maybe organize groups runs or something.
    I would advise against this. However.....
    If you do, I recommend it be private and not visible to the public, with only one or two admins. Utilize the PM here for who would start it and as others are requesting to join the group to send their name & list number. Whoever is the Admin should then utilize the actual lists to verify the name and list number prior to admitting them to the group.
    You want to be anonymous if and when you make it to Probie School. Having a group like this on FB will make it difficult to do so. In today's age of subpoenas, you could very well be outed by the BI's (Background Investigator) or anyone looking to stir things up.

I am in no way condoning this idea though.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 02-07-2013 at 12:01 AM. Reason: clarification of BI

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    I would advise against this. However.....
    If you do, I recommend it be private and not visible to the public, with only one or two admins. Utilize the PM here for who would start it and as others are requesting to join the group to send their name & list number. Whoever is the Admin should then utilize the actual lists to verify the name and list number prior to admitting them to the group.
    You want to be anonymous if and when you make it to Probie School. Having a group like this on FB will make it difficult to do so. In today's age of subpoenas, you could very well be outed by the BI's or anyone looking to stir things up.

I am in no way condoning this idea though.
    Yea I was kind of thinking the same thing. I'm iffy with Facebook as it is and you'd know better than I about how the dept. deals with these types of things. I'll see what kind of feedback I get on here. But nonetheless it would be high privacy, admission only with some sort of list # verification of who you are prior. Probably isn't going to happen regardless haha.
    Last edited by mocon337; 02-06-2013 at 11:55 PM.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx

Forum Member

Edit: question answered.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 02-07-2013 at 12:14 AM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    I have bad acne And my right eye is bigger than my left
    It's ok your sick body makes up for it
    BrooklynBorn likes this.

Forum Member

Spoke with a proby school instructor today. Interesting feedback about the class, which was mostly positive. He said the group is doing okay, really. He said they're motivated and (for the most part) have their acts together. There has been one chief complaint, and that is the general lack of physical conditioning of the probies. This current class has the highest number of members in remedial physical fitness training.....ever.

Now, being in remedial isn't the end of the world, and if you're in marginal shape, it's good for you. They have a great program for physical fitness and they're going to get you in the shape you need to be in.....or you're not going to graduate. If you're two sit-ups shy, or a pull-up shy, they're not going to pound you into the ground. In fact, if you stay committed to the remedial program for long enough to satisfy the requirement you failed, they'll cut you loose, but most guys stay with it anyway. It's just good for you.

If you're preparing for the academy now, the first thing you need to do is run. Run Run Run. You should be able to comfortably do 4 miles at a SUB-9 minute pace. That's more than you'll do in the first days, but it's not like waking up and walking out the door for a run. By the time you run during your academy day you'll have been up for 4 or 5 hours and had one class under your belt. Then you'll do calisthenics for 30 or 40 minutes before running.

So:
    -Run
    -Do 100 push-ups everyday, then take that to 150 and so on....
    -High reps, light weights. In other words, pick up some 15 lb. dumbbells and do 100 curls in one set.
    -STOP DRINKING (you'll have plenty of picnics and softball games and beach days later....)
    -Do light weight circuit training, anything that keeps your heart rate up for at least an hour.

Forget all these protein drinks and shake non-sense. Forget all these fancy cross-fit things and what not......you don't need anything more than a pair of dumbells, running shoes and an exercise mat.

Forum Member

have they released how many firefighters they want to hire or are they still saying based on need?

Forum Member

anyone going down to 9mt on 13 March?
    WTRBG likes this.
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WNYFF14 View Post
    have they released how many firefighters they want to hire or are they still saying based on need?
    They will ALWAYS hire based on need.

For the next few years, it'll be something like 600 a year.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Spoke with a proby school instructor today. Interesting feedback about the class, which was mostly positive. He said the group is doing okay, really. He said they're motivated and (for the most part) have their acts together. There has been one chief complaint, and that is the general lack of physical conditioning of the probies. This current class has the highest number of members in remedial physical fitness training.....ever.

Now, being in remedial isn't the end of the world, and if you're in marginal shape, it's good for you. They have a great program for physical fitness and they're going to get you in the shape you need to be in.....or you're not going to graduate. If you're two sit-ups shy, or a pull-up shy, they're not going to pound you into the ground. In fact, if you stay committed to the remedial program for long enough to satisfy the requirement you failed, they'll cut you loose, but most guys stay with it anyway. It's just good for you.

If you're preparing for the academy now, the first thing you need to do is run. Run Run Run. You should be able to comfortably do 4 miles at a SUB-9 minute pace. That's more than you'll do in the first days, but it's not like waking up and walking out the door for a run. By the time you run during your academy day you'll have been up for 4 or 5 hours and had one class under your belt. Then you'll do calisthenics for 30 or 40 minutes before running.

So:
    -Run
    -Do 100 push-ups everyday, then take that to 150 and so on....
    -High reps, light weights. In other words, pick up some 15 lb. dumbbells and do 100 curls in one set.
    -STOP DRINKING (you'll have plenty of picnics and softball games and beach days later....)
    -Do light weight circuit training, anything that keeps your heart rate up for at least an hour.

Forget all these protein drinks and shake non-sense. Forget all these fancy cross-fit things and what not......you don't need anything more than a pair of dumbells, running shoes and an exercise mat.
    This is great information. I can't believe a lot of guys are not 100% in shape for the academy. Reason I say this is because a substantial amount of time is giving to prepare for academy. Please guys, and I say please in great sincerity, prepare yourselves and take advantage of this vital information. I am off to the gym now.

Thanks

Forum Member

This is the way I see it, the academy is 50 percent physical and 50 percent will. Sometimes You will see the guy who was in decent shape quit before the little chubby guy who wanted to be a fireman since he was a kid. If you have no WILL, you will have a tough time at the academy even if you are in good shape.

Forum Member

It can be disheartening to see that even with my list number I should be in a January '14 class but will probably get pushed to July '14 due to PH's but that is life. That's 6 more months for me to get into even better shape.

Almost there - from my understanding the ems guys weren't given a lot of notice to prepare. Not to say they shouldn't have stayed prepared while waiting but they were basically given the test and about a month later put through the process.

Thanks for the workout info, good to know I'm on the right track with my training already.
    Last edited by FdnyFFHopeful; 02-07-2013 at 10:51 AM.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

what is a service # ? i cant find that on my dd214, but it asks for it on the backround packet in military experiece... is that your emplid?

Forum Member

Does anyone know what the passing rates for minorities were on the '99 and '02 exams? I'm curious how they compare to the 65% passing rate for priority hires on 2000.
    20xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    what is a service # ? i cant find that on my dd214, but it asks for it on the backround packet in military experiece... is that your emplid?
    Myles, it's your emplid number
    Exam #2000
    Score 10x
    List # 5x
    CPAT-4/30/2013
    Background-3/6/2013
    Medical-4/4/2013
    Written psych-4/7/2013
    1.5 mile run-7/15/2013
    Academy-7/29/2013

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    Myles, it's your emplid number
    thanks, maybe we will be in the same class at the academy where you an air station guy or boats?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    thanks, maybe we will be in the same class at the academy where you an air station guy or boats?
    Boats. I did two cutters and now I'm a reservist at Station NY. What about you?
    Exam #2000
    Score 10x
    List # 5x
    CPAT-4/30/2013
    Background-3/6/2013
    Medical-4/4/2013
    Written psych-4/7/2013
    1.5 mile run-7/15/2013
    Academy-7/29/2013

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    Boats. I did two cutters and now I'm a reservist at Station NY. What about you?
    cgc juniper newport ri

air station borinquen aguadilla puerto rico...pride of the carribean

not an active reserve cuz aviation rates cant go reserve, was thinking about going trying DC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kd44 View Post
    Does anyone know what the passing rates for minorities were on the '99 and '02 exams? I'm curious how they compare to the 65% passing rate for priority hires on 2000.
    What ya mean? Like how many minority test takers passed those exams?

Forum Member

For probies in academy now? What's the take home pay? I know it probably blows. Just trying to get my finances in order now before I hopefully get called next year. Sitting at 18**

Forum Member

This is the way I see it, the academy is 50 percent physical and 50 percent will. Sometimes You will see the guy who was in decent shape quit before the little chubby guy who wanted to be a fireman since he was a kid. If you have no WILL, you will have a tough time at the academy even if you are in good shape.
    I totally agree in regards if one doesn't have the will no matter what shape you are in, you will have a hard time.

I wasn't aware that the EMS where called right away after they passed the test. They most be going through hell at the rock. But at the same time, they are so fortune to be there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    I totally agree in regards if one doesn't have the will no matter what shape you are in, you will have a hard time.

I wasn't aware that the EMS where called right away after they passed the test. They most be going through hell at the rock. But at the same time, they are so fortune to be there.
    No offense almostthere but do yourself a favor, fix the grammar. It just gives people more reasons to feel the way they do about "priority hires". Now back to your comment, EMS knew they were going in first since before we took the test. That's more than plenty of time to get yourself at a physical level where the academy shouldn't be overwhelming. Capish!!??? Or better yet, you get what I'm saying homie?
    Last edited by Jukez; 02-07-2013 at 01:08 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

No offense almostthere but do yourself a favor, fix the grammar. It just gives people more reasons to feel the way they do about "priority hires". Now back to your comment, EMS knew they were going in first since before we took the test. That's more than plenty of time to get yourself at a physical level where the academy shouldn't be overwhelming. Capish!!??? Or better yet, you get what I'm saying homie?
    No matter what your thoughts are on the whole PH situation, that is NOT how we conduct ourselves.
    You guys do not need to live up to the stereotype the Vulcans or the judge tries to say we are.

Thread Information