Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 286 of 1019 FirstFirst ... 186236276283284285286287288289296336386786 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,720 of 20369
Like Tree7734Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    God knows the fdny doesn't need any more lawsuits but I think a canindate from a state where pot is legal has a legit shot of winning a legal battle if he tests positive for weed and gets disqualified for it.
    I hope nobody is counting on this, because it is absolutely inaccurate. Marijuana is illegal in New York City, New York state, and at the federal level. Law in Washington state and in Amsterdam are entirely irrelevant. One will be DQ'ed if testing positive and won't even make it to the courtroom if a lawsuit were tried.

If anyone wants to get on and is a casual user right now, the time to quit fully and completely is now. There really are no if, ands, or buts.
    vekdoggs75 and DJ_Reverse like this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    I hope nobody is counting on this, because it is absolutely inaccurate. Marijuana is illegal in New York City, New York state, and at the federal level. Law in Washington state and in Amsterdam are entirely irrelevant. One will be DQ'ed if testing positive and won't even make it to the courtroom if a lawsuit were tried.

If anyone wants to get on and is a casual user right now, the time to quit fully and completely is now. There really are no if, ands, or buts.
    I dont think your correct.

If a Washington man smoked marijuana legally in his home state than applied to the FDNY, he should not be disqualified for a positive test. He did not smoke in NYC and therefore did nothing illegal.

I think a good lawyer is needed here lol.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

I dont think your correct.

If a Washington man smoked marijuana legally in his home state than applied to the FDNY, he should not be disqualified for a positive test. He did not smoke in NYC and therefore did nothing illegal.

I think a good lawyer is needed here lol.
    Google "Roe v. Teletech" that should end the discussion.
    knicksh2o likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 6019Victim View Post
    23 years old in 2007 took exam 6019. Paid $400 for a preparatory class for the fire fighter exam I scored we'll with a 97. My list number was 3696. My dream of becoming a firefighter was getting closer. The Vulcan lawsuit has shattered my dream along with thousands of others. We are in 2012 5 yrs have gone by and I'm 28 years old now. I took exam 2000 and scored a 92 which gave me a list number 20,xxx. I'm furious. I've been robbed and cheated. I am currently in FDNY EMS academy. If and when a promotional exam comes out within the next 2 years I will be 30 years old. FDNY has an age cut off of 29 to be eligible to sit down and take the exam. Yes they raised the age if you were on 6019 to 36 years old to take exam 2000 but that didn't apply to me. I was still robbed of an extension. I am fighting for an age extension. Age is just a number. FDNY is made up of the greatest most qualified individuals. Hwhat should I do? It is my dream to be a firefighter. I will not let my age disqualify me due to a lawsuit and hiring freeze of 5 years????
    I feel for you bro. I truly do and I apologize in advance for my opinion on your matter but I really don't think you have a shot. Its going to be at least four years before another promo comes out. The promo will be given at the same time as the OC from now on. This has been confirmed at Metrotech. By the time the filing opens for a new promo you'll be 31 or 32. Trust me, I know it sucks. I was 24 when I got on EMS and I took the promo at 29. I did not see that coming. The only glimmer of hope that you have is if they extend the age limit to 36 for good. So if thats what is going to keep you positive and motivated during your tenure on EMS than go for it! Just be advised (and MM may back me up on this)...it sucks. And if there are other EMS guys on here that disagree, let us please refrain from the whole "it sucks" VS "it doesn't suck" argument. There are good things and bad things. The job in itself day in and day out with the crap you pick up......I can't even.....it just sucks.
    Obviously don't let me discourage you from keeping your eye on the prize. I did it. I had some bumps in the road from the budget cuts and getting our money orders back to the vulcans BS (still doesnt compare to the 6019 guys that were called) but i'm on 5 years and hopefully going in. Who knows, we might get screwed again within the next month. Jan 14th class could be axed tomorrow. I wouldn't put it past this city. I just got on at a better time and so did everyone else who got on in the last 5-3 years. It just may not be your time.
    Enjoy the academy. You will learn a lot. The job is absolute bull**** on the street. Nothing like what they are training you for but we are the best and most highly trained EMTs and medics. Most of the time all those skills are kept in the back pocket for when the "uh ohs" happen 1% of the time. Good luck! Have fun running (briskly waking) with Jack Carlson around Fort Totten!
    Last edited by JerkAlert; 12-07-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sffdnyhopeful09 View Post
    Congrats to all those who are already qualified and ready to hit the final run for the academy. I remember that feeling all to well and I can't wait to feel it again.

I was curious if any of you guys that recently took the CPAT prep course at the rock were given a sheet of paper that had a total body circuit breakdown. I know they gave it out when I last took the prep course but that was a few years ago and I can find mine. If anyone does have I'd really appreciate it if they could post that in any way. I know it's long so even just a pic of the paper would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Good luck to those that are knocking on that door as well as to the rest of us. God knows what curveballs will be thrown at us this time.
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloa...tion_guide.pdf

Same thing they handed out in 07/08.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    Google "Roe v. Teletech" that should end the discussion.
    Yes. Thank you. And Roe was in a state that LEGALIZED marijuana. Seriously, Knicks, there is no discussion. It is not a question of "should" as you put it, knicksh2o - I'm not making a moral judgement. I'm just saying what WILL happen. DQ. Period. 100% Anyway, we all have more important things to discuss so I'll leave it at that.
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    I feel for you bro. I truly do and I apologize in advance for my opinion on your matter but I really don't think you have a shot. Its going to be at least four years before another promo comes out. The promo will be given at the same time as the OC from now on. This has been confirmed at Metrotech. By the time the filing opens for a new promo you'll be 31 or 32. Trust me, I know it sucks. I was 24 when I got on EMS and I took the promo at 29. I did not see that coming. The only glimmer of hope that you have is if they extend the age limit to 36 for good. So if thats what is going to keep you positive and motivated during your tenure on EMS than go for it! Just be advised (and MM may back me up on this)...it sucks. And if there are other EMS guys on here that disagree, let us please refrain from the whole "it sucks" VS "it doesn't suck" argument. There are good things and bad things. The job in itself day in and day out with the crap you pick up......I can't even.....it just sucks.
    Obviously don't let me discourage you from keeping your eye on the prize. I did it. I had some bumps in the road from the budget cuts and getting our money orders back to the vulcans BS (still doesnt compare to the 6019 guys that were called) but i'm on 5 years and hopefully going in. Who knows, we might get screwed again within the next month. Jan 14th class could be axed tomorrow. I wouldn't put it past this city. I just got on at a better time and so did everyone else who got on in the last 5-3 years. It just may not be your time.
    Enjoy the academy. You will learn a lot. The job is absolute bull**** on the street. Nothing like what they are training you for but we are the best and most highly trained EMTs and medics. Most of the time all those skills are kept in the back pocket for when the "uh ohs" happen 1% of the time. Good luck! Have fun running (briskly waking) with Jack Carlson around Fort Totten!
    I'll say this much. I don't agree that the age limit should be extended FOREVER for those who took 6019. If that was your last shot (like it was mine) than only by the hard work of other 6019 candidates did you even GET another shot. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. But my advice - stop feeling and sounding like a 'victim' because it just puts you in a very similar boat to many of the people who caused the 6019 sh!!tshow to begin with.

That being said, I really do feel for you. But all is not lost. You really really really want this job and want to work for it? Go join the Reserves or (if they're still giving them out) take an active duty 2-year contract. Get not only Vet points but also deduct all that time from your age and thus qualify. Best of all, you'll get to serve your country instead of complaining about being a victim.
    List # 53X

Forum Member

hey can i have your opinion on something?

i turned 25 three months ago and am 13 days from taking the statewide EMT exam and becoming certified. i plan on calling DCAS in two weeks to get the ball rolling with my civil service status. I also was part of the 6019 group that was slated to go into the January 2009 class before it was pulled. I was 24 and a half years old when i took exam# 2000. do you think the next OC or Promo exam will be out of my reach? or do you think i will still be young enough to take the next test? i'm not sure how the process works exactly because i don't know much about FDNY EMS, other than that i initially signed up for this EMT class because it was a way in, and that i'm actually becoming very fond of the nature of the work.

Edit: i should mention: my list no. for the latest OC test is 37xx, which according to the estimate posted a few pages back, will most likely be called in 2-3 years time. i'm just trying to maximize my chances of getting on the job- its the only thing i've ever wanted since i was 16.
    Last edited by J0hnnyb0y; 12-07-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Forum Member

If you want to smoke weed go ahead.. I won't, but I respect your choices. Have a great weekend everyone.. And congrats to those getting closer

Forum Member

Yes. Thank you. And Roe was in a state that LEGALIZED marijuana. Seriously, Knicks, there is no discussion. It is not a question of "should" as you put it, knicksh2o - I'm not making a moral judgement. I'm just saying what WILL happen. DQ. Period. 100% Anyway, we all have more important things to discuss so I'll leave it at that.
    Well you stomped me there lol. But I still believe that the requirements for many jobs will begin to change as more and more states legalize recreational marijuana use. Think about it. Alcohol is legal recreationally, no job can disqualify anyone for having a beer or two as long as they come to work in stable and sober conditions. Again, we are talking about 15 or 20 years down the road but trust me that lawsuit is coming. And the precedents you've mentioned will become outdated at that time.

I just want to make it clear, I don't smoke weed and never have and I don't commend it at all. I don't even speak to any of my old buddies who did back in college so I am against it just as much as anyone else in in this forum.
    Last edited by knicksh2o; 12-07-2012 at 02:27 PM.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloa...tion_guide.pdf

Same thing they handed out in 07/08.
    Thanks for the quick response but that's not what I was referring to. I was actually referring to the Myerjack workout that Lt. Cassiola gave out in the weight room. It basically had a straight rundown of exercises to go through for a full body circuit in a specific order.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by J0hnnyb0y View Post
    hey can i have your opinion on something?

i turned 25 three months ago and am 13 days from taking the statewide EMT exam and becoming certified. i plan on calling DCAS in two weeks to get the ball rolling with my civil service status. I also was part of the 6019 group that was slated to go into the January 2009 class before it was pulled. I was 24 and a half years old when i took exam# 2000. do you think the next OC or Promo exam will be out of my reach? or do you think i will still be young enough to take the next test? i'm not sure how the process works exactly because i don't know much about FDNY EMS, other than that i initially signed up for this EMT class because it was a way in, and that i'm actually becoming very fond of the nature of the work.

Edit: i should mention: my list no. for the latest OC test is 37xx, which according to the estimate posted a few pages back, will most likely be called in 2-3 years time. i'm just trying to maximize my chances of getting on the job- its the only thing i've ever wanted since i was 16.
    1. Civil Service exams for EMS are done once a year, usually in September. You can not call them and get going on that, you will have to wait till the next filing period... presumably September 2013. You can, if you like, call the # on the FDNY website and get put on the provisional list, however that is almost entirely pointless because they are unlikely to touch the provisional list at any point in the foreseeable future, due to the fact that they have to exhaust the civil service lists first, and that just isn't happening right now. It is a tough call on whether or not you will be too old for the next go around, it will certainly be close either way. While it's still too early to really forecast how quickly they'll move through #2000, all indications point to you getting reached so... apply to EMS for the hell of it, but I would also consider doing school or some sort of vocational training in something that interests you as well, but most of all get in shape and stay in shape.

I just want to make it clear, I don't smoke weed and never have and I don't commend it at all. I don't even speak to any of my old buddies who did back in college so I am against it just as much as anyone else in in this forum.
    Oh good god stop trying to outdo yourself in trying to show how anti-drug you are to a bunch of people who are completely irrelevant to the actual hiring process. You aren't proving anything to anybody here.

Also JerkAlert I've generally been pretty happy in FDNY EMS. It's the best bet for an EMS job in NYC in my opinion. Even though I've generally been happy with my units/partners it still is a job that wears you down over time. I've got almost 8 years total time since I first became an EMT and I am so ready to be done with it for a while. Sadly a large part of that is just being burnt and depressed since a coworker died over the summer. Still, I don't regret anything about EMS, it's been a great ride and I've made some fantastic friendships/had a lot of good/interesting times over the years.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    1. Civil Service exams for EMS are done once a year, usually in September. You can not call them and get going on that, you will have to wait till the next filing period... presumably September 2013. You can, if you like, call the # on the FDNY website and get put on the provisional list, however that is almost entirely pointless because they are unlikely to touch the provisional list at any point in the foreseeable future, due to the fact that they have to exhaust the civil service lists first, and that just isn't happening right now. It is a tough call on whether or not you will be too old for the next go around, it will certainly be close either way. While it's still too early to really forecast how quickly they'll move through #2000, all indications point to you getting reached so... apply to EMS for the hell of it, but I would also consider doing school or some sort of vocational training in something that interests you as well, but most of all get in shape and stay in shape.

Oh good god stop trying to outdo yourself in trying to show how anti-drug you are to a bunch of people who are completely irrelevant to the actual hiring process. You aren't proving anything to anybody here.

Also JerkAlert I've generally been pretty happy in FDNY EMS. It's the best bet for an EMS job in NYC in my opinion. Even though I've generally been happy with my units/partners it still is a job that wears you down over time. I've got almost 8 years total time since I first became an EMT and I am so ready to be done with it for a while. Sadly a large part of that is just being burnt and depressed since a coworker died over the summer. Still, I don't regret anything about EMS, it's been a great ride and I've made some fantastic friendships/had a lot of good/interesting times over the years.
    Thanks for the advice. Sorry about your friend, too. That's *****ty.

That clears things up a lot. I was pretty confused with the difference between the civil service list and the provisional list and reading the department web site didn't really help. I think I'm going to follow through with it because I am enjoying learning the material and I had a great experience at Harlem Hospital during my rotation. Eventually want to become a paramedic and an R.N. Plus I'd feel like a complete jerkoff if something similar happened to me with this list as did with 6019 and EMS was my only shot and I missed it.

Forum Member

Looks like its time to kick this training into HIGH gear fella's I been to hungry for to long for this. Best of luck to everyone, and hopefully see fellow <1000s in the very near future.
    mocon337 and coldblood92 like this.

Forum Member

Thanks for the advice. Sorry about your friend, too. That's *****ty.

That clears things up a lot. I was pretty confused with the difference between the civil service list and the provisional list and reading the department web site didn't really help. I think I'm going to follow through with it because I am enjoying learning the material and I had a great experience at Harlem Hospital during my rotation. Eventually want to become a paramedic and an R.N. Plus I'd feel like a complete jerkoff if something similar happened to me with this list as did with 6019 and EMS was my only shot and I missed it.
    Provisional - When you call them they put you on a list. The list is comprised of names of people who have called them, and are in the order by which they called.

Civil Service - People file for the exam, and are graded in some way, and then ranked in order based on their grade. For firefighter it's based off the written exam. For EMT or Paramedic you get a 70 just for having the certification, and then get awarded points based on prior experience. Many new EMTs end up with a 70, but still the point is that people with more experience are rewarded for it and the list is generated based on something other than 'first come first serve', which is the principal in which the provisional list is based on.

They only have civil service filing for EMS once a year, and it's usually September. It definitely can't hurt to do the provisional thing, but realistically you will have to do the civil service filing, which will likely be next September.

Forum Member

Thanks again. My instructor, who is FDNY EMS (R), told us its next to impossible to get a job that right after being certified it is very tough to get job so I was planning on volunteering however many hours I can spare each week at bravo and at the hospital. I hope will help raise my civil service score above a 70 and into a competitive range. Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread everybody.

Forum Member

Thanks again. My instructor, who is FDNY EMS (R), told us its next to impossible to get a job that right after being certified it is very tough to get job so I was planning on volunteering however many hours I can spare each week at bravo and at the hospital. I hope will help raise my civil service score above a 70 and into a competitive range. Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread everybody.
    You can usually get a job at one of the ****ty private companies (Transcare, Seniorcare, AMR, etc), and I would almost suggest it while you wait. I feel like I've appreciated my time in FDNY EMS more than others because I worked at a couple ****ty private companies first, and got to see what an actual terrible job is. A 70 on the EMT exam is not uncompetitive, and also the only thing that really raises your grade a lot is experience in the voluntary side of the 911 system. Volunteer work/private companies will only change it by a marginal amount, if at all.

MembersZone Subscriber

A little bit off topic but how are the public schools in NYC. Might not be a big deal for most people but just want to get an idea as to the type of education my girls would be getting?

Also does anyone have any suggestions on the step mill for guys with bigger feet? My heels hang off when I do it and am kind worried about hurting my Achilles in the long run.
    Last edited by zachryw2001; 12-08-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: added more
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Thank you bro. I was just emphasizing how the age extension to 36 y/o would only apply to one NOE? I just don't understand that. It should apply to the next NOE for the OC and Promo. I'm sure EEO would agree with me on this. With the severely strict medical and physical requirements of the job, age shouldn't be an issue. If your not qualified then your not firefighter material and FDNY doesn't want you. FDNY wants the best because they are they best fire department in the world

Forum Member

I knew a guy that worked on the job. He went to amsterdam for his honeymoon and he smoked mariguana not thinking anything of it becasue it was legal there, he came back and they and they got a drug test and he came back positive for mariguana and he got kicked off the job. He said why becasue where I smoked it, it was legal and they told him that it doesn't matter its not legal here.

Thread Information