Like Tree10484Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

From the New York law journal.

"We are gratified that the court granted our stay. This will enable the commissioner to exercise hiring discretion without the court monitor's involvement," Georgia Pestana, chief of the labor and employment division of the law department, said in a statement.

Might refer to only the hiring monitor or the priority hires as well. Guess we'll know more tomorrow.

http://www.newyorklawjournal.com/Pub...20130107195521
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by I3akdraf View Post
    One's not "better than the other" what FDsouthbxNY was describing was engine work. Truck work has it's own things that suck ex. 3 hours of salvage and overhaul. The way i look at it if you reallllllyyyyy wanna see fire then engine work is for you, if you like grunt work like picking things up and putting them down then truck work is for you. But, you'll have to just wait to you get to the rock to see, i'm betting you'll go with truck just judging by the type of guy you seem to be.
    Oh dear, you know me too well. I guess I should also appear on the calendar a few years from now too huh?

Unfourtantly I can't tell you about anything firefighter related, I'm not a volley nor a buff. I don't care where I get sent to wether is an engine company or a truck company, I just want to get on the job and love what I do. One thing I can tell you though, knowing about firetrucks is not going to help you when these DIs are screaming at you cause you can't do push ups, sit ups and pull ups. guess who shines now?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    One thing I can tell you though, knowing about firetrucks is not going to help you when these DIs are screaming at you cause you can't do push ups, sit ups and pull ups. guess who shines now?
    This. THIS. SO MUCH OF THIS.

Forum Member

Future brothas, sorry don't post in here much, but I have a quick question. Just took the exam recently (was in Afghan for the actual test date) and came out sub 200 on the list. Just wondering if anybody else in this neighborhood has already been called in for CPAT etc? If I'm talking out of my ***, I'll just shut up and color. Just wanna plan out if/when I have to scoot up to the city while I'm finishing up my last few months in the green machine. Thanks ahead!

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    You maintain a 3 - 4 percent body fat percentage wow ?! I have natural bodybuilding friends who undergo caloric deficit diets for months just to get that low and only for a day in a natural bodybuilding competition. Once you hit 1% - 2% you stop functioning correctly and once you hit 0% you die. Be Careful.
    I can tell you right now for a fact this guy isn't 3-4% bodyfat and 6'2 170 is pretty skinny, so maybe you should stop being so delirious and start hitting the weights. I'm, 6'1 190 8% BF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    No summonses. Only convictions. If you got 100 summonses (criminal) and only 2 convictions, then just list the 2 convictions. 100 summonses/0 convictions=0 convictions to report.
    Actually there's a second part to that where it says to list ALL ARRESTS weather convicted or not...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SnatchBK View Post
    I can tell you right now for a fact this guy isn't 3-4% bodyfat and 6'2 170 is pretty skinny, so maybe you should stop being so delirious and start hitting the weights. I'm, 6'1 190 8% BF
    Who cares, stop talking about his body. This isn't the GQ Forums. We know some of you guys are jelous.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

http://cdn.builtlean.com/wp-content/...entage-men.jpg
    Let's be real now, I'm not trying to put anyone down, I;m a personal trainer myself, I just can't stand people being delirious and/or straight up lying to themselves. But I hope I'm wrong and If he is 3-4% that is amazing and I would be encouraged

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SnatchBK View Post
    First of all i stay at 170 by CHOICE. It allows me to run 1.5 miles in less than 9 mins, makes it easier for me to do 20+ pull ups, gives me alot of muscle indurance for alot of repetitive excersises, you know the stuff that you have to do in the academy? . If I wanted to gain weight I'll just indulge myself in protein shakes and creatine to look retarded with no neck like you probably do. Anyways, I really don't have anything to prove to you, telling me I need to hit the weights, when YOU should be doing less hitting weights and more calisthenics lol
    Last edited by Jukez; 02-07-2013 at 10:43 PM.

Forum Member

^ to jukez statement above. Im 5'8" 150. I have two neighbors who are FFs one who is 6'1/6'2" prob 185-195 and other other who is almost exactly my size. Both of them have told me to not gain weight before the academy.

Even still my goal is to be 160. The message they were trying to get across i believe is that endurance and muscle endurance way more helpful then strength.

Forum Member

I just read over the article. It seems pretty clear that the stay is on PHs.

"A federal appeals panel today froze the activities of a team of court-appointed special monitors assigned to watch over hiring and promotion practices at the FDNY."

The monitor was in place to ensure that PHs got hired at the ratio they were suppose to be and that the new exam hired reflective of the city population. Without this monitor there is no way that the city would go forward and hire PHs. The city will lose large amounts of money for every PH hired. Not just because of back pay. But the years of pension that will be received from PHs.

I'm 99% sure this means that no PH will be hired until after a ruling in there favor. And in all likelihood I do not see that happening. Any judge who objectively looks at the quantitative data could not make a decision as Garaufis has. In my humble opinion I think Garaufis had a vendetta for the FDNY
    River6019 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post

"A federal appeals panel today froze the activities of a team of court-appointed special monitors assigned to watch over hiring and promotion practices at the FDNY."

The monitor was in place to ensure that PHs got hired at the ratio they were suppose to be and that the new exam hired reflective of the city population. Without this monitor there is no way that the city would go forward and hire PHs. The city will lose large amounts of money for every PH hired. Not just because of back pay. But the years of pension that will be received from PHs.

I'm 99% sure this means that no PH will be hired until after a ruling in there favor. And in all likelihood I do not see that happening. Any judge who objectively looks at the quantitative data could not make a decision as Garaufis has. In my humble opinion I think Garaufis had a vendetta for the FDNY
    I really hope this will turn out to be something good for us, just the impact on the list without having the PH going into the academy is huge. They can easily go through the whole 700+ people of the OC list who are about to get processed just to fill that class up. (with EMS taking almost half those slots ofcourse)

Forum Member

I hope your theory proves to be true man. It could mean the difference between me getting a packet this summer, or next year at this time, or even later. But from what I've read in the past Garaufis has been involved in some sketchy business like nepotism and placing his cronies from Hellenic Lawyers groups in favorable positions. Not to mention the OUTRAGEOUS salary granted to the appointed hiring monitor that he appointed. Hopefully this all surfaces at the right time
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Also, this wasn't too clear. Is he referring to the written exam?

"The FDNY has implemented written policies for the hiring process, and has every intention to continue to adhere to them," Pestana said.
    Last edited by mocon337; 02-07-2013 at 11:22 PM.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

I took a tutorial and the firefighters there told us that the number one guy in the academy is always a skinny dude that could bang out 30-40 pull ups like nothing.
    #30XX

Forum Member

Does anyone know if once you become a firefighter if you have to keep your NY license?

Like would I be able to temporary change it to another state?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Also, this wasn't too clear. Is he referring to the written exam?

"The FDNY has implemented written policies for the hiring process, and has every intention to continue to adhere to them," Pestana said.
    I am thinking this is talking about the not calling investigators with the intention of vouching for people and practices of nepotism benefiting those who have family or friends on the job.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkster View Post
    I took a tutorial and the firefighters there told us that the number one guy in the academy is always a skinny dude that could bang out 30-40 pull ups like nothing.
    well what does this say about how we should be working out LOL.

Forum Member

I really hope this is true but keep in mind the Merit Matters lawyers are pretty sure it might not be and they seem to really know their stuff. I just hope the final ruling is meant to include the PH hires at least, if not that is ridiculous.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

I also wouldn't put much stock in having a lot of EMS promotional in the next class. I have a friend who is in the EMS academy now who told me that the head of hiring for the Fdny stated in the beginning of January that...

"There will definitely be another firefighter class in late July. The EMS promotionals is pretty much done aside from a handful of guys who aren't at their two years yet. The majority of the class will be filled with OC and whatever comes of the PH."

Everything she has said thus far is true and she is the lady who signs the bottom of your offer of employment letters so I'm guessing she knows what's going on.
    HopefulFF and DannyD0pe like this.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Who cares, stop talking about his body. This isn't the GQ Forums. We know some of you guys are jelous.
    Lol you better have a 8 pack to back it up
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkster View Post
    What do they test for to determine the number one guy? The guy who can do the most sit-ups, push ups, pull ups?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    Does anyone know if once you become a firefighter if you have to keep your NY license?

Like would I be able to temporary change it to another state?
    One of the qualifications of being in the fdny is that you have to live in NYC. I mean maybe you could I don't know to many details about it but if you do you still have to be a resident of NYC. I knew of a few guys that said they lived I NYC but they lived in jersey and they got fired.
    Exam #: 2000
    Score: 99
    List #: 35XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    What do they test for to determine the number one guy? The guy who can do the most sit-ups, push ups, pull ups?
    No not just that I mean physical shape does a play a big role but you gotta be able to pass the classroom tests as well
    Exam #: 2000
    Score: 99
    List #: 35XX

Thread Information