Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 287 of 1018 FirstFirst ... 187237277284285286287288289290297337387787 ... LastLast
Results 5,721 to 5,740 of 20345
Like Tree7726Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #5721
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    A little bit off topic but how are the public schools in NYC. Might not be a big deal for most people but just want to get an idea as to the type of education my girls would be getting?

    Also does anyone have any suggestions on the step mill for guys with bigger feet? My heels hang off when I do it and am kind worried about hurting my Achilles in the long run.
    It all depends on the area. If the schools in a bad area its more then likely going to be a bad school and vice versa
    vekdoggs75 likes this.


  2. #5722
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    A little bit off topic but how are the public schools in NYC. Might not be a big deal for most people but just want to get an idea as to the type of education my girls would be getting?

    Also does anyone have any suggestions on the step mill for guys with bigger feet? My heels hang off when I do it and am kind worried about hurting my Achilles in the long run.
    1. My older cousin; a specialist eye surgeon at a major private practice in the city has 2 kids that are middle school age and have spent their entire education in the NYC public school system. He's totally fine with it, and they seem to get a good education. The thing that seems to matter though is that elementary/middle schools seem to reflect the neighborhood that they are located in, and he is on the UWS so.... yeah. Probably not gonna live there as a FF with kids, but still, the city has good schools in certain areas. Also, you are not required to live in the city, so there are other options as well.

    2. Get used to it. I think most dudes have problems with their feet being too big for those incredibly small steps

    Quote Originally Posted by 6019Victim View Post
    Thank you bro. I was just emphasizing how the age extension to 36 y/o would only apply to one NOE? I just don't understand that. It should apply to the next NOE for the OC and Promo. I'm sure EEO would agree with me on this. With the severely strict medical and physical requirements of the job, age shouldn't be an issue. If your not qualified then your not firefighter material and FDNY doesn't want you. FDNY wants the best because they are they best fire department in the world
    When they added the age extension the city council was wary of doing so, so they compromised and somewhat avoided a real discussion on raising the age limit by just making it an exemption for all those people who took 6019 and missed their chance at a fair shot at the test due to the financial crisis and the discrimination case. At the time they were not that interested in actually raising the age. If someone wants them to make it a permanent change (ie: YOU) you need to fight for it. However, explain why it benefits FDNY/The City of New York to raise the hiring age? What do they get out of it? Is there a tangible benefit to the city? There really needs to be if you want them to raise the age, because this isn't a one way street, this isn't just what you want, this is really about what they want for candidates.

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureFirefighter2000 View Post
    I knew a guy that worked on the job. He went to amsterdam for his honeymoon and he smoked mariguana not thinking anything of it becasue it was legal there, he came back and they and they got a drug test and he came back positive for mariguana and he got kicked off the job. He said why becasue where I smoked it, it was legal and they told him that it doesn't matter its not legal here.
    Hahaha, that sucks. Gotta be smart and take like 2 weeks off then go and enjoy the brownies on day 1 of vacation.

  3. #5723
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default

    EMS guys or otj..

    Is the 1.5 mile run right before the academy also when they test your 4 pull ups, 30 sit ups, and 30 push-ups, also what are the rules about falling short of one, all three or a combination of any of them

  4. #5724
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffdude13 View Post
    EMS guys or otj..

    Is the 1.5 mile run right before the academy also when they test your 4 pull ups, 30 sit ups, and 30 push-ups, also what are the rules about falling short of one, all three or a combination of any of them
    I'm not trying to be rude. But if someone cant do one of the above listed; they are probably going into the wrong career
    Dannypanigale likes this.

  5. #5725
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    16

    Default

    However, explain why it benefits FDNY/The City of New York to raise the hiring age? What do they get out of it? Is there a tangible benefit to the city? There really needs to be if you want them to raise the age, because this isn't a one way street, this isn't just what you want, this is really about what they want for candidates.

    I don't see a benefit for the city keeping the age cut off at 29? What is their benefit for that? Also raising the age to 36 won't change a thing. It doesn't benefit the city when the age is 29 or 49. Actually come to think of it it will benefit the city when more guys pay to take the exam

  6. #5726
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Not a good enough fight for the city against age extension

  7. #5727
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    16

    Default

    The city of New York should want the most qualified individual with out discriminating against sex, race and AGE. Your either in good health and physical shape or your not. That's what the job is all about. It's about knowing you will come out of your next fire and all your brothers are accounted for.

  8. #5728
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffdude13 View Post
    EMS guys or otj..

    Is the 1.5 mile run right before the academy also when they test your 4 pull ups, 30 sit ups, and 30 push-ups, also what are the rules about falling short of one, all three or a combination of any of them
    1.5 miles in under 13 minutes before being hired. This is the final test.
    Day 1 of the academy you test the 4 exercises you listed, and if you fail any of them you are required to do remedial fitness training (2 hours extra, twice a week). This time you must do the 1.5 miles in under 12 minutes, and then 30 pushups, 30 sit ups, and 4 pull ups in a minute each. A mild amount of practice should render all of these easily passable. The running is the only curveball in my opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    I'm not trying to be rude. But if someone cant do one of the above listed; they are probably going into the wrong career
    I think he was just asking for what the specific rules are. Also to be fair push ups don't really make you better at much else besides doing more push ups. And at no other point in the academy do they make you do sit ups.

    Quote Originally Posted by 6019Victim View Post
    I don't see a benefit for the city keeping the age cut off at 29? What is their benefit for that? Also raising the age to 36 won't change a thing. It doesn't benefit the city when the age is 29 or 49. Actually come to think of it it will benefit the city when more guys pay to take the exam
    You don't think having people start a 25 year career with a significant risk of injury or death at a later age is a problem? You don't think the city has actuaries to figure out how much more likely a firefighter is to die of a heart attack on the job if they start their career at 35 instead of 30? Hiring older people absolutely does pose a risk in their eyes, and it is something that they will likely fight tooth and nail against, especially because it is discrimination that they are allowed to practice, due to the inherent risks of the job. It's laughable that you think the city cares about the $15-25 that they get from you when you sign up for the exam. The city spent millions more on administering the test than they took in in exam fees, that has absolutely nothing to do with this.

  9. #5729
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6019Victim View Post
    However, explain why it benefits FDNY/The City of New York to raise the hiring age? What do they get out of it? Is there a tangible benefit to the city? There really needs to be if you want them to raise the age, because this isn't a one way street, this isn't just what you want, this is really about what they want for candidates.

    I don't see a benefit for the city keeping the age cut off at 29? What is their benefit for that? Also raising the age to 36 won't change a thing. It doesn't benefit the city when the age is 29 or 49. Actually come to think of it it will benefit the city when more guys pay to take the exam
    Like Manhattan Medic said, you are totally missing the point. Its not about the age of a first year firefighter, the City doesn't spend all that time and money pushing a candidate through the Rock and then training on the job so 10 years after they are hired they are pushing 50 and incapable of pulling their weight the way they did when they were 25 or 30. My brother got on early in his twenties and ten years later he has a LOT of patchwork keeping him together because of the stress of the job. If he started with a body 10, 15 years older? Wouldn't have even made it this far. I sympathize with you, and I feel your pain, but just be honest about why you are advocating what you are advocating - your own position and not what benefits the Dept. I'm in the same boat - it not for the age extension, I would not be qualify for this exam. And if something doesn't work out, I won't have another chance. But I personally won't go calling foul just because the rules don't benefit me.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

  10. #5730
    Forum Member FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    378

    Default

    I can understand as well, but 29 in my opinion is to low a number for cutoff. If they said 32 is the cutoff and not extending beyond that, I could understand. 35, 36 is to big a number for someone who gonna be waiting 4 yrs just to start the academy. They'll be pushing to close to 40 by the time they get into the rock, and then the high physical demand that's expected of you can cause a lodd right off the back. It becomes a liability issue, but I think 30, 32 for a cutoff would be more reasonable compared to 35 or 36 for a cutoff. The 6019 got lucky they got an age extension but they should of went the emt/ems route. I wish I knew about the emt promo back then but shame on me for not looking into anything and just working to support my family, I got way to comfy with the job I had and now I don't anymore.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

    I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

  11. #5731
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Currently IL
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Does your probation after the academy vary from person to person? I thought it was a year but have read somewhere that some people had 18 month probation and others having 2 years. Just wonder how they decide how long to make someone's probation.

    Not that it really matters, I'd do a 5 year probation if that's what it took lol.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

    "But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

  12. #5732
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Does your probation after the academy vary from person to person? I thought it was a year but have read somewhere that some people had 18 month probation and others having 2 years. Just wonder how they decide how long to make someone's probation.

    Not that it really matters, I'd do a 5 year probation if that's what it took lol.
    I think your probation is longer if you are hired with a stip(maybe some issues in the past, etc)
    However thats just from rust I've read on here, someone otj will probably chime in with the exact answer soon. I can't wait until this thread picks up some around Jan

  13. #5733
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Probation ends one year from your date of appointment, unless you were hired with a stipulation for some offense or another. The most common is having a past DWI. This will extend your probation for an additional year. Other factors might extend your probation on a month to month basis. If you are given a poor review by your captain prior to completion of probation, he might opt to extend your time.

  14. #5734
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Currently IL
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Do the same step mill rules for the CPAT apply to the step mill portion of the medical? I.e., can't touch the rails.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

    "But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

  15. #5735
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    25

    Default

    A thought on age limits:
    In Philly there was a group of medics that sued for age discrimination and were successful. I know there is federal law permitting these age limits and preventing suits regarding them. However, from what I gather, the long and short of it was that because the city had already hired older candidates after those laws were enacted, the court ruled that they had set a precedent that showed candidates of an age over their new age limits could be successful on the job. The city now has no age limit on their FD test whatsoever.

    Now, there's probably a lot of wrinkles to the whole thing that I don't understand, but perhaps by raising the age extension this once, the city has let the cat out of the bag. If they concede that the thousands of candidates who took 6019 and aged out are still fit for the job, it might be hard for them to argue that everyone else over 29 for some reason isn't. Given what happened in Philly, the powers that be in NYC might realize that preventing another legal situation would be well worth the liability brought on by extending the age limit 5 or 6 years. Again, just a thought (from a guy who likely won't get his number called and will be "too old" next time around).

  16. #5736
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffdude13 View Post
    EMS guys or otj..

    Is the 1.5 mile run right before the academy also when they test your 4 pull ups, 30 sit ups, and 30 push-ups, also what are the rules about falling short of one, all three or a combination of any of them
    Are they separated or doing them one right after the other for time? Just curious.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 12-10-2012 at 03:44 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  17. #5737
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    I can't wait until this thread picks up some around Jan
    Me too man, me too

    Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Do the same step mill rules for the CPAT apply to the step mill portion of the medical? I.e., can't touch the rails.
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by rpnyc1 View Post
    Now, there's probably a lot of wrinkles to the whole thing that I don't understand, but perhaps by raising the age extension this once, the city has let the cat out of the bag. If they concede that the thousands of candidates who took 6019 and aged out are still fit for the job, it might be hard for them to argue that everyone else over 29 for some reason isn't. Given what happened in Philly, the powers that be in NYC might realize that preventing another legal situation would be well worth the liability brought on by extending the age limit 5 or 6 years. Again, just a thought (from a guy who likely won't get his number called and will be "too old" next time around).
    I agree with ya, the age extension as it is was the city's way of doing something nice without really making a permanent change to the age limit. It could be the first step in getting the age limit raised, however it is a battle that someone will have to fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Are they separated or doing them one right after the other for time? Just curious.
    Obviously can't speak from experience, but I get the impression they would be somewhat separated, not just 3 minutes to do everything all at once (with the run before or after). I'm sure this will be answered definitively in about a month (if not sooner by someone OTJ).

  18. #5738
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Probation ends one year from your date of appointment, unless you were hired with a stipulation for some offense or another. The most common is having a past DWI. This will extend your probation for an additional year. Other factors might extend your probation on a month to month basis. If you are given a poor review by your captain prior to completion of probation, he might opt to extend your time.
    This implies that a DWI is not an automatic disqualification. Do you or anyone know if the FDNY has the same rule that NYPD has that states you need at least 5 years of not having an alcohol related incident after your conviction of a DWI before you are hired?
    Last edited by DannyD0pe; 12-10-2012 at 04:07 PM.

  19. #5739
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    This implies that a DWI is not an automatic disqualification. Do you or anyone know if the FDNY has the same rule that NYPD has that states you need at least 5 years of not having an alcohol related incident after your conviction of a DWI before you are hired?
    Pd is incredibly strict with alcohol. Its pretty common during pd's oral psych to ask how many drinks you've had in your whole lifetime. Anything other than holidays and special occasions is frowned upon. I just went through the process, and they're really tough on drinking dwi is a def dq. I don't think fd is as strict being that they've hired with stips in the past.

  20. #5740
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    I can understand as well, but 29 in my opinion is to low a number for cutoff. If they said 32 is the cutoff and not extending beyond that, I could understand. 35, 36 is to big a number for someone who gonna be waiting 4 yrs just to start the academy. They'll be pushing to close to 40 by the time they get into the rock, and then the high physical demand that's expected of you can cause a lodd right off the back. It becomes a liability issue, but I think 30, 32 for a cutoff would be more reasonable compared to 35 or 36 for a cutoff. The 6019 got lucky they got an age extension but they should of went the emt/ems route. I wish I knew about the emt promo back then but shame on me for not looking into anything and just working to support my family, I got way to comfy with the job I had and now I don't anymore.
    I'm not saying I agree with 36. What I'm saying is I don't see it being fair for 6019 candidates to have an age extension on just one NOE. That's not EEO. I agree with 29 being an odd low age cut off. 32 would be solid

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 45 users browsing this thread. (11 members and 34 guests)

  1. 4040clubBouncer,
  2. bacon,
  3. dem7191,
  4. EKFCASPER,
  5. fdnybk,
  6. GNYHC,
  7. ireedmymail,
  8. john_casey,
  9. NewSteveYork,
  10. test2000,
  11. thirdtimesacharm

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  2. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  3. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  4. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 11:16 AM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts