Like Tree11270Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

[QUOTE=BrooklynBorn;1357198]I actually have more than one that I got in the jersey shore. It was like entrapment thou. The "summer" police lock the the only bathroom and then hide behind cars and wait for people to pee when there is no where with in miles to go and not a soul in sight. Then the tickets are like 350 or more. If they have so much manpower then the bathroom shouldn't be closed. I however learned my lesson and haven't been out there in 4 years, maybe 5 when I get called. I accept responsibility, I should have known where I am not welcome, especially since NY'ers receive tickets and people with NJ I'd's do not. Hope it does not DQ me. I have a totally clean record except for those.

This one is especially for you Brooklyn lol

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N7TzPEYci_w
    I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Is anyone else getting warnings not to visit this site because it might harm your computer? I have a mac.
    I am getting the same warnings

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Yes. I know. Exactly. I said nothing about arrest. I said only a SUMMONS which resulted in a CONVICTION. An arrest is a seperate matter. You can recieve a criminal summons WITHOUT being arrested. If that summons did not result in a conviction then DO NOT LIST IT. However an arrest must be listed whether convicted or not.
    I haven't gotten in a summons in a while but I got a few a few years ago for underage drinking and riding my bike on the side walk but how would even go about listening them if i have no idea how many or when i got them?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    You actually get to choose between truck and engine? Or do you deal with whats handed to you?
    You go where they put you. The vast majority will go to engines, it's the right way anyway. You need to learn all aspects of the job, both sides of the floor.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SnatchBK View Post
    I haven't gotten in a summons in a while but I got a few a few years ago for underage drinking and riding my bike on the side walk but how would even go about listening them if i have no idea how many or when i got them?

you have to go the court that processed the summons & ask for a copy. Mine was over 10 years old and dismissed and they still had the records of it so they should definitely be able to help you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    you have to go the court that processed the summons & ask for a copy. Mine was over 10 years old and dismissed and they still had the records of it so they should definitely be able to help you.
    Yeah I'm going to get a letter of disposition at the county clerks office next week and it'l list everything. Do you think it'll hurt me that much that I have a few summons for drinking in public and a couple minor arrest which were dismissed? I was told by my friends father(a captain in the FDNY) that they look for closure and that as long everything was dismissed you'll be fine and that there are a some FFs on the job with actually real arrests(violence, drugs duis, etc) and since they handled it they got in

Forum Member

double post

Forum Member

What about like urinating in Public, where one pleaded guilty and paid? I am guessing thats a conviction? My mother told me she was ashamed of me after that one.
    Yes thats a conviction. You must list it. Anything other than DISMISSED is a conviction. Jail time, community service, fines etc, those are all convictions. Dismissed means you were not found/plead guilty, nothing happened and you went home without paying a fine, going to jail or doing community service.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

What about like urinating in Public, where one pleaded guilty and paid? I am guessing thats a conviction? My mother told me she was ashamed of me after that one.
    Btw, public urination is a "Violation" not a crminal misdemeanor. But yes you must still list it.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SnatchBK View Post
    Yeah I'm going to get a letter of disposition at the county clerks office next week and it'l list everything. Do you think it'll hurt me that much that I have a few summons for drinking in public and a couple minor arrest which were dismissed? I was told by my friends father(a captain in the FDNY) that they look for closure and that as long everything was dismissed you'll be fine and that there are a some FFs on the job with actually real arrests(violence, drugs duis, etc) and since they handled it they got in

Yea im pretty sure you'll be fine. Remember that they will soon be hiring felons according to my packet and an article in the nypost. And the fdny has also stated that certain criminal charges will not bar you from employment, even if such charges are still pending.

With that said, i wouldnt worry about anything minor which happened years ago and was in fact dismissed. The MOST IMPORTANT thing is to be completely honest and to leave nothing undisclosed on your part, especially since anything you may try to hide is already documented within the system anyway. If its been documented, they WILL find out.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desire4theJob View Post
    My roommate back in the city is a former Marine and OTJ now. He said the academy was harder than Boot. That being said I don't think its physically harder then when he went to Parris Island in the early-mid 90's but I think you are much more mentally pushed then boot camp and at boot camp even though you are rushed to do everything you don't go home so you get everything you need to get done done. At the rock you are gonna work your *** off physically, go in a classroom, get a ton of information shoved into your skull, maybe go run some more, then go home and have to study and be back in 10 hours.

Interesting...hopefully i will get the opportunity to compare. I went to Fort Knox...in the winter. I love the Army but i dont wish that sort of torture on anyone. Im talking straight torture from 5am-10pm Sun-Sun, running 5-6 miles (sometimes in boots) no weekends or holidays and no going home or saying you quit. Sleeping aint no gettaway either becuz the instructors actually wake you up and no you dont have time to shower and stop for breakfast.

Im sure the rock has its own brand of horror, but ill be happy if i can at least go home every night to cry to my wife while she gives a massage lol
    kd44 likes this.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Let me try this again. Members of Both engine and truck companies are involved with salvage and overhaul operations. Members of both engine and truck companies will carry heavy things up lots of stairs.

As for the task of "getting to the fire," I get the feeling you're not aware of who's job it is to find that fire and clear a pathway to it for that nozzle man, but I can assure you it is not the building super. "IJS"

Thank you though for telling me about my line of work.

Quote Originally Posted by I3akdraf View Post

Nothing i'm saying is absolute, assignments can always switch on the fire grounds depending on the situation. I'm simply giving an example of things that suck on both pieces. ex. high rise pack on engine, salvage and overhaul on truck.
    Yes you'll get to see fire no matter what, but on the engine if your on the nozzle your job is to get to that fire. You don't have that responsibility on a truck. IJS.
    But like you was saying everyone will get to see what everything is like when going thru the academy. It's just fun to talk about, thats why we're on the forum.
    To Persist is to Conquer.

Forum Member

Is anyone else getting warnings not to visit this site because it might harm your computer? I have a mac.
    Got a Mac as well ... Haven't got that yet

Forum Member

[QUOTE=FdnytolifeE293;1357199]
    I actually have more than one that I got in the jersey shore. It was like entrapment thou. The "summer" police lock the the only bathroom and then hide behind cars and wait for people to pee when there is no where with in miles to go and not a soul in sight. Then the tickets are like 350 or more. If they have so much manpower then the bathroom shouldn't be closed. I however learned my lesson and haven't been out there in 4 years, maybe 5 when I get called. I accept responsibility, I should have known where I am not welcome, especially since NY'ers receive tickets and people with NJ I'd's do not. Hope it does not DQ me. I have a totally clean record except for those.

This one is especially for you Brooklyn lol

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N7TzPEYci_w
    .... Hilarious !!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I held off on replying to the brother's post, and didn't want to jump on him for his current OTJ experience and trying to relate to the folks here. I came here with some experience from a previous department too, but had to be a clean slate for how we do it here.

And that's just one of the things that I love about the job here. We do things different in many aspects. Those of you coming here from another department need to leave all of that behind you.

Our department, fireground, etc; operate on a different level. Your position, the type of building, what due you are, all dictate where you go, what tools you bring and what you do.

Regarding how Probie School compares to the military: You're just going to have to find out and compare if you have that experience. For me; boot camp was worse. But those were the days when the DI's could frak with you at any given hour and they had nothing but time. Here, you get to go home at the end of the day. You definitely get your arses handed to you at The Rock, but there is a schedule to keep and pain is only temporary.

Engine vs Truck: Don't worry about which is better or worse. When you make it all the way through, you're a New York City Firefighter and you get to ride Big Red. And the thing that matters most is protecting your brothers and sisters, and making sure we all go home.

*Remember: The fire doesn't go out without that one guy on the nozzle. The other 100 guys there just helped out.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 02-10-2013 at 02:34 AM.

Forum Member

Has anyone in the top 700/730 or so not received their packet for open competitive yet, I'm also on list 2500 not sure if this is why, either way I'll be calling investigations tomorrow. Thanks for any help.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andyboyfire View Post
    Has anyone in the top 700/730 or so not received their packet for open competitive yet, I'm also on list 2500 not sure if this is why, either way I'll be calling investigations tomorrow. Thanks for any help.

didnt you receive a packet already being on the 2500 list?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by I3akdraf View Post
    Who do you think will be doing the clean up if it's still there by monday?

I hate duke and i hope they rot in hell (Sam Jackson voice)

Nothing i'm saying is absolute, assignments can always switch on the fire grounds depending on the situation. I'm simply giving an example of things that suck on both pieces. ex. high rise pack on engine, salvage and overhaul on truck.
    Yes you'll get to see fire no matter what, but on the engine if your on the nozzle your job is to get to that fire. You don't have that responsibility on a truck. IJS.
    But like you was saying everyone will get to see what everything is like when going thru the academy. It's just fun to talk about, thats why we're on the forum.
    I'm guessing you've got some volly time. Do yourself a favor and keep your mouth shut in probie school about the firefighting tactics you may be used to. Vollys take a beating at the rock so you're better off not letting them ever know you were/are one. Also that nonsense you just spewed is flat out wrong. The biggest mistake you made was suggesting that your tools or assignments can change on the fire floor. Do YOUR job and be where YOU'RE supposed to be. If you've got the roof and your boss calls you on the radio asking where you are, you better not f*cking say the basement!

Forum Member

I'm trying to find a blank copy of the CPD-B online. Cant seem to find one. Anyone knows a link to getting a blank one?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Don't Tase Me Bro!! View Post
    I'm guessing you've got some volly time. Do yourself a favor and keep your mouth shut in probie school about the firefighting tactics you may be used to. Vollys take a beating at the rock so you're better off not letting them ever know you were/are one. Also that nonsense you just spewed is flat out wrong. The biggest mistake you made was suggesting that your tools or assignments can change on the fire floor. Do YOUR job and be where YOU'RE supposed to be. If you've got the roof and your boss calls you on the radio asking where you are, you better not f*cking say the basement!
    If you look back at one of his posts, he is OTJ (IAFF member) elsewhere. He was just trying to give some insight for the guys here. Albeit it was wrong when it comes to how we operate brother.

Forum Member

Hey brothers, as far as the "weight" goes for the medical part, does anyone know if its ONLY done based off of the bmi chart, or if they will do Body Fat % as well.
    Because i Know people, myself included, who will be deemed overweight on the bmi chart but with a good bodyfat percentage, because the muscle makes you way more. It happened in my army reserves unit all the time and we all have to get taped to pass the weigh in. anyone have any knowledge?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYhopeful28 View Post
    Hey brothers, as far as the "weight" goes for the medical part, does anyone know if its ONLY done based off of the bmi chart, or if they will do Body Fat % as well.
    Because i Know people, myself included, who will be deemed overweight on the bmi chart but with a good bodyfat percentage, because the muscle makes you way more. It happened in my army reserves unit all the time and we all have to get taped to pass the weigh in. anyone have any knowledge?
    They do not measure your body fat. The weight requirement is based of BMI, but quite a bit more lenient from what I remember. If you're muscular you should be fine. If you're muscular with an extra 50# of flab you may have a problem.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYhopeful28 View Post

Hopefully they use their eyes as well because I hate that bmi chart.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 104
    List: 2XX

Forum Member

Some interesting and useful information to follow (talk of summonses/prior convictions, our standing bodyfat count, brazilian firefighting drill teams, urinating in public while down at the shore, and the engine/ladder dispute aside):

What do we know about the current case thus far?
    As it stands, we know the name of the case is "United States v. Bloomberg," and although we do not know the specifics, the City did not receive a favorable ruling in Garaufis' courtroom. The City appealed one or more rulings to the next higher court, the Second Circuit Court of Appeals. I would venture to say that the city is appealing its motion for preliminary injunction (Rule 65 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure) against hiring oversight which possibly includes the actual hiring of "priority hirees." According to the NY Post, this motion was reviewed and temporarily granted by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.

What is necessary for a preliminary injunction?
    The City had to show that it would suffer "irreparable harm" if hiring oversight (and possibly including "priority hirees") is allowed to be imposed by Judge Garaufis. Read the requirements for a preliminary injunction here: http://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/frcp/rule_65

What does that mean?
    A ruling by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals in favor of the City's motion to grant a preliminary injunction only means a temporary ban on "hiring oversight" until the Second Circuit makes a decision and remands the case BACK to Judge Garaufis for a ruling consistent with their findings. Whether or not this includes a temporary hiring freeze on "priority hirees" will only be known to us when the Second Circuit makes writes either an opinion or a summary order. We can stay apprised of their rulings by checking their website: http://www.ca2.uscourts.gov/opinions.htm

Forum Member

That first cop was a little intense at first.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Thread Information