Like Tree11352Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #701
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    305

    Default

    You'll regularly run over 5 miles during pt in the academy.

  2. #702
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    856

    Default

    A lot guys in this thread have asked about what the entire procedure from test to the Rock is like, found this this so hopefully this answers some questions.

    http://www.fireflag.org/?zone=/union...andidate20FAQs

  3. #703
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish6019 View Post
    You'll regularly run over 5 miles during pt in the academy.
    Is there a specific pace you should be trying to keep for these 5 mile runs?

  4. #704
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    This is pretty accurate. I love the description of FST. If only it were that easy.

    approx 8min mile pace.

  5. #705
    Forum Member
    FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Is the rescue dummy heavier at the academy compared to the physical test cpat dummy?
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 02-07-2012 at 08:20 PM.

  6. #706
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Has anyone on here gotten LASIK yet? I have been looking into the different types and it looks like there are benefits and disadvantages of each. Not sure which one to go with...

  7. #707
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    Has anyone on here gotten LASIK yet? I have been looking into the different types and it looks like there are benefits and disadvantages of each. Not sure which one to go with...
    Lasik Plus in Columbia, MD perfomed my surgery but they have offices everywhere. I had the laser cornea cut rather the blade cut. Just seemed safer and more comfortable.

  8. #708
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    Lasik Plus in Columbia, MD perfomed my surgery but they have offices everywhere. I had the laser cornea cut rather the blade cut. Just seemed safer and more comfortable.
    Safer!?.........If you say so lol. Anybody thinks that this exam would be legit as far as the EXAM goes. Or is this another "credible only if the numbers match my statistics" exam? My two cents is this, if you want this job, and I mean "YOU REALLY WANT THIS JOB". Then you will do everything in your power to have it. To see 60,000+ applicants says a lot about the economy. Fact is this, half of these people isnt going to see the cpat. The people who do make it to the cpat, about 15,000 (if not more) isnt going to see the rock. The people that actually make it to the ROCK better be on point because the minute YOU SLIP somebody WILL TAKE YOUR PLACE! and dont wait till the last minute to workout because you will FAIL!!! And no RED BULL IS GOING TO RESCUE YOUR PERFORMANCE! workout and do it the right way. This will separate the macho man from the power rangers! Furthermore, I hope the test is hard for two reasons, 1- because it will separate all the lazy ***** candidates. 2- I dont want somebody working with me that doesnt know the difference between a FIRE (meaning People are in danger from being BBQ in a building that is engulfing with FIRE) and FIREWORKS in the 4th of July!

  9. #709
    Forum Member
    FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RES2CUE718 View Post
    Safer!?.........If you say so lol. Anybody thinks that this exam would be legit as far as the EXAM goes. Or is this another "credible only if the numbers match my statistics" exam? My two cents is this, if you want this job, and I mean "YOU REALLY WANT THIS JOB". Then you will do everything in your power to have it. To see 60,000+ applicants says a lot about the economy. Fact is this, half of these people isnt going to see the cpat. The people who do make it to the cpat, about 15,000 (if not more) isnt going to see the rock. The people that actually make it to the ROCK better be on point because the minute YOU SLIP somebody WILL TAKE YOUR PLACE! and dont wait till the last minute to workout because you will FAIL!!! And no RED BULL IS GOING TO RESCUE YOUR PERFORMANCE! workout and do it the right way. This will separate the macho man from the power rangers! Furthermore, I hope the test is hard for two reasons, 1- because it will separate all the lazy ***** candidates. 2- I dont want somebody working with me that doesnt know the difference between a FIRE (meaning People are in danger from being BBQ in a building that is engulfing with FIRE) and FIREWORKS in the 4th of July!
    What will make this test more difficult in your or anyone's opinion? I know off the back that 60,000 applicants will not show up for the test. I know 15 ppl that we're pushed by family or friends into signing an application. People like the Vulcan are pushing incomplete applications and I think their effort in doing so is effortless. These people will not show up and I wouldn't want to rush in a fire with someone who can't fill out a simple app. Most people that are unemployed want to fill out an app and they couldn't even finish filling out a free app in which I paid for smh. I hope that half these people don't show up. This way only the ones that really deserve this job will have a crack at it for the first time and for the second time.
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 02-08-2012 at 03:26 AM.

  10. #710
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bed-Stuy Brooklyn
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    Is the rescue dummy heavier at the academy compared to the physical test cpat dummy?
    No it's the same weight pretty much. The only difference is at the rock your dragging the dummy over rubber mats as opposed to at the actually CPAT facility its over a hardwood floor which cuts down the resistance. The CPAT isn't really difficult at all to be honest if you know the techniques you need for swinging a sledge hammer or dragging the dummy you'll be ok.

  11. #711
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RES2CUE718 View Post
    Safer!?.........If you say so lol. Anybody thinks that this exam would be legit as far as the EXAM goes. Or is this another "credible only if the numbers match my statistics" exam? My two cents is this, if you want this job, and I mean "YOU REALLY WANT THIS JOB". Then you will do everything in your power to have it. To see 60,000+ applicants says a lot about the economy. Fact is this, half of these people isnt going to see the cpat. The people who do make it to the cpat, about 15,000 (if not more) isnt going to see the rock. The people that actually make it to the ROCK better be on point because the minute YOU SLIP somebody WILL TAKE YOUR PLACE! and dont wait till the last minute to workout because you will FAIL!!! And no RED BULL IS GOING TO RESCUE YOUR PERFORMANCE! workout and do it the right way. This will separate the macho man from the power rangers! Furthermore, I hope the test is hard for two reasons, 1- because it will separate all the lazy ***** candidates. 2- I dont want somebody working with me that doesnt know the difference between a FIRE (meaning People are in danger from being BBQ in a building that is engulfing with FIRE) and FIREWORKS in the 4th of July!
    WHAT??? I'm Lost

  12. #712
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    Has anyone on here gotten LASIK yet? I have been looking into the different types and it looks like there are benefits and disadvantages of each. Not sure which one to go with...
    I always wanted to get LASIK but I'm going to wait to see how I do on the exam and CPAT before I make my decision. I've had an Uncle, Aunt, and cousin get the procedure done though and all three swear by it.

  13. #713
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish6019 View Post
    Honestly, at this point, there is no reason to focus any energy on anything but this written test. Focus one step at a time. It helps immensely in this overly long process..
    Exactly! Its a long process so take it one step at a time. GL gentleman !!

  14. #714
    Forum Member
    FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Deleted post
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 02-10-2012 at 03:43 PM.

  15. #715
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lwhite2011 View Post
    Hey buddy I tried pm'n you but it says u don't accept pm's. I'm intereste din getting together to run at prospect park, maybe nites . Let me know your scedule. We should get a whole group of us guys taking the exam together.
    I send you a PM. Did you get it?

  16. #716
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    WHAT??? I'm Lost
    What part did I lose you in? The fire, or fireworks part?

  17. #717
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    16

    Default

    http://www.vulcansocietyfdny.org/

    Somebody said they wanted to change their test date, well this might help your decision.
    Last edited by RES2CUE718; 02-08-2012 at 04:26 PM.

  18. #718
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RES2CUE718 View Post
    http://www.vulcansocietyfdny.org/

    Somebody said they wanted to change their test date, well this might help your decision.

    So this is from the site:

    "An on-line FDNY Tutorial and Tutorial Nights began the week of 2/6/12. They are one-time, one day only for each applicant to attend an in-person event at one of approximately 35 locations. There will be various dates."


    This is for potential Vulcan members only I take it?

  19. #719
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    So this is from the site:

    "An on-line FDNY Tutorial and Tutorial Nights began the week of 2/6/12. They are one-time, one day only for each applicant to attend an in-person event at one of approximately 35 locations. There will be various dates."


    This is for potential Vulcan members only I take it?
    Merit Matters posted something similar back in December.

  20. #720
    Forum Member
    FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    So this is from the site:

    "An on-line FDNY Tutorial and Tutorial Nights began the week of 2/6/12. They are one-time, one day only for each applicant to attend an in-person event at one of approximately 35 locations. There will be various dates."


    This is for potential Vulcan members only I take it?
    New info will be posted on the tutorial starting feb 15 on the dcas website. Read the post I left earlier that's the only email I have received so far.

  21. #721
    Forum Member
    FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Deleted post
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 02-09-2012 at 11:31 PM.

  22. #722
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    16

    Default

    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...bjUEX8Dj7YS2BQ

    This is a study guide I found online, it has a lot of info. You guys and gals should have a look at it.

  23. #723
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Merit Matters posted something similar back in December.


    About a tutorial night? I don't recall reading that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    New info will be posted on the tutorial starting feb 15 on the dcas website. Read the post I left earlier that's the only email I have received so far.

    I'm certain that every one of us got that email. I'm not taking about the online tutorial that will be updated soon. I'm speaking of this personal tutorial on the Vulcan site that they posted.

  24. #724
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    About a tutorial night? I don't recall reading that.





    I'm certain that every one of us got that email. I'm not taking about the online tutorial that will be updated soon. I'm speaking of this personal tutorial on the Vulcan site that they posted.

    The December 7th entry, it's not word for word the same but they have

    "
    Tutoring/ test preparation- an on-line tutorial is expected to begin 1/11/12. Information and Tutorial Nights are scheduled to begin the week of 2/6/12."

  25. #725
    Forum Member
    FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Deleted post
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 02-10-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 5 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 4 guests)

  1. Matador611

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 05:52 AM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 09:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 01:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 04:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 12:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register