Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 293 of 1208 FirstFirst ... 193243283290291292293294295296303343393793 ... LastLast
Results 5,841 to 5,860 of 24145
Like Tree9401Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    May I ask if squatting is really necessary to pass any of the tests?

Do you really need any upper body strength to pass any of the tests?
    Squats will help. Upper body is a must.
    Exam 2500
    List: 10x
    Medical: Passed
    CPAT: 7:50 Passed
    Candidate run: 9:30
    Class: 1/14/2013?

Forum Member

May I ask if squatting is really necessary to pass any of the tests?

Do you really need any upper body strength to pass any of the tests?
    Few things are "necessary" however if you are going to train to get stronger then squats are just about the best thing out there in terms of how many different muscles in your body are used for one movement. If you don't know how I would be wary of starting without someone working with you on form, but other than that they are great.

Forum Member

Am I wrong to think the only tests that are a problem and need extra training for are the 1.5 mile run and the heart rate test?

What other tests do you really need strength training for? I am just wondering so i know how to train properly.

Maybe someone who took the test can actually say if weightlifting really helped anywhere. And if the only important thing to train for is the heart rate test and the 1.5 mile run.

Forum Member

Am I wrong to think the only tests that are a problem and need extra training for are the 1.5 mile run and the heart rate test?

What other tests do you really need strength training for? I am just wondering so i know how to train properly.

Maybe someone who took the test can actually say if weightlifting really helped anywhere. And if the only important thing to train for is the heart rate test and the 1.5 mile run.
    The stronger you are, the less energy expenditure and the easier tasks will be. Remember what you are getting yourself into. You are wearing an extra 50 pounds or more and are expected to perform functions that are very physically demanding for an average duration of 10-20 minutes (or more).

1.5 mile run is just a general test of fitness. I can only give you a personal experience with the stepmill on the CPAT(I have taken it 3 times) and going thru a community college fire academy. I never trained on a stepmill, and I never got 'jello legs' from the 3 minutes on it. All I did was back squats, front squats, deadlifts, clean and jerks, and forward and reverse tire dragging, with some supplementary calf work. Look at it like this, a small step with the vest on represents a very sub-maximal weight and expenditure from those strength lifts. From strength training, my muscles in the body can handle the stress of firefighting tasks better and more efficient, such as stair work. Even for a 1.5 run mile you will notice a difference with strength training. You will develop a higher rate of force and power in your run.

Can you get by without it? Sure. But I really think you are holding yourself back as a firefighter if you are not strength training seriously(along with your conditioning work). I have said this repeatedly, the stronger you are the greater potential your muscular/power endurance will be and the easier tasks will be with respect to your conditioning. For a long and healthy firefighting career, it would be wise to keep the body strong, especially in the back, legs, and shoulders. Maybe Manhattan Medic can chime in on the importance of having a strong back for lifting patients off of a backboard or GS'ing a pt. and putting them onto the gurney(Manhattan Medic, one guy comes from behind the pt. and grabs their wrist in a criss cross fashion and another grabs the legs, what do you guys call it in NYC?). An injury to the back can potentially put you out and unfit for duty. As you get older, your muscles will atrophy.

You really got to experience it for yourself to make a comparison. With the right programming and exercises it will truly benefit you as a firefighter and for your general health. Good luck to you on your journey thru this.
    petrole and frankp88 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thebigempty View Post
    There is no polygraph for this job. The psych is all written, it asks the same questions multiple times to look for inconsistencies. If your back does not hurt and has not had or need surgery. Keep that under wraps.
    Thanks for the quick reply! Okay, that'll help me sleep at night now Lol btw congrats on passing everything so far , is there anything you didn't expect or anything challenging , besides the CPAT, I'm not really worried about the physical part?
    Hope to see you on the other side

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Few things are "necessary" however if you are going to train to get stronger then squats are just about the best thing out there in terms of how many different muscles in your body are used for one movement. If you don't know how I would be wary of starting without someone working with you on form, but other than that they are great.
    Finding someone who really knows what they are doing is hard. Check out squatRx on youtube, should be a series if you found the videos I am talking about. Check out rippetoes book or videos on you tube.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 12-15-2012 at 06:46 PM.
    petrole likes this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I used this from the time I went in for the cpat training right up to the point of the final run and experienced great muscle endurance gains as well as shedded whatever small amount of excess body weight I had right before the academy so I want to put it to use again to build a foundation after my last surgery. I'm in the low thousands so I know I've got at least 6 months before getting the packet again and this program will help be exactly where I need to be when I start the process again. Thanks again and best of luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mky915 View Post
    Disregard it was in the List 6019 thread posted by shanahan14. I got the order messed up, so disregard my order.

Myerjack circuit training

This is for matty21 and any1 else who wants to try it.The muscle groups are 1 ABS 2 LOWER BACK 3 CHEST 4 UPPER BACK 5 SHOULDERS 6 BIS 7 TRIS 8 QUADS 9 HAMSTRINGS 10 CALVES

You do 1 exercise for each body part and then w/o rest go directly to the next exercise. Ex.abs to l. back to chest till you get to calves. 1st revolution do 20-25 reps ( only abs and l. back extensions do till failure) This is for muscular endurance

Start with one or two revolutions and work your way to four. If you want muscle mass do 20-25 reps for 12 workout sessions. after 12 sessions, do 20-25 reps 1st time around, 15-20 2nd (more weight or resistance each time), 10-15, and last 6-10 reps ( for the 4th time around. Change up the exercise for each time you go around. ex chest- do flat, inlcine, flyes etc.

Just keep jumping from machine to machine or station to station- it builds endurance and is aerobic training because of the little rest. good luck. If you are not familiar with the equipment get a trainer, don't hurt yourself.

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t97154-72/#post961741 (Fdny List 6019)

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I used this from the time I went in for the cpat training right up to the point of the final run and experienced great muscle endurance gains as well as shedded whatever small amount of excess body weight I had right before the academy so I want to put it to use again to build a foundation after my last surgery. I'm in the low thousands so I know I've got at least 6 months before getting the packet again and this program will help be exactly where I need to be when I start the process again. Thanks again and best of luck.

Forum Member

I apologize for the double post but I'm posting from my phone and I have no clue how to delete a post.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SnatchBK View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply! Okay, that'll help me sleep at night now Lol btw congrats on passing everything so far , is there anything you didn't expect or anything challenging , besides the CPAT, I'm not really worried about the physical part?
    Hope to see you on the other side
    Nothing really surprising. Just keep training.
    Exam 2500
    List: 10x
    Medical: Passed
    CPAT: 7:50 Passed
    Candidate run: 9:30
    Class: 1/14/2013?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Finding someone who really knows what they are doing is hard. Check out squatRx on youtube, should be a series if you found the videos I am talking about. Check out rippetoes book or videos on you tube.
    Yeah, I totally agree. Squats are a "total body workout" not exactly but it's a great compound movement but I would recommended getting down the form first with someone who's been in the field for a while and knows exactly what you doing. I even got hurt recently squatting 315 and my form is on point but there are so many factors that go into it such as body type(endo, ectro) and how tall you you. I have the worst frame for squats, I'm 6'2 and between and between and ecto and mesomorph, so I'd do some research first or just stick with body weight squats for now and work your way up!
    Goodlucl

Forum Member

This is actually a dilemma I've been facing and I wanted to know if anyone can give their two cents. I have a bit of time until I get called but as soon as I got my # I feel like i began to disregard lifting a bit and became obsessed with running and calisthenics. I definitely feel like I lost some strength in my squats and dead lifts, but my cardio is probably at an all time best. I'm a pretty lean guy by nature (6'3" 190), and I'm often worried that that isn't a good size, and the running will make me even scrawnier. Should I stick with the running and bodyweight work or cut back on it and get back to heavy lifting?
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    This is actually a dilemma I've been facing and I wanted to know if anyone can give their two cents. I have a bit of time until I get called but as soon as I got my # I feel like i began to disregard lifting a bit and became obsessed with running and calisthenics. I definitely feel like I lost some strength in my squats and dead lifts, but my cardio is probably at an all time best. I'm a pretty lean guy by nature (6'3" 190), and I'm often worried that that isn't a good size, and the running will make me even scrawnier. Should I stick with the running and bodyweight work or cut back on it and get back to heavy lifting?
    Muscular endurance is probably more important than pure strength.

Forum Member

This is just my 2 cents as someone with a degree in Phys Ed. I would continue with cardio and lifting. Making sure you're getting enough calories everyday to sustain your weight. Calorie counting is the best way to do it.

Its normal to feel more tired if you're also doing cardio now. Your body is tired and therefore less able to do other activities. (this will lessen with time as your body is more able to remove lactic acid efficiently)

If you tell me your workout schedule/goals maybe there's something that could/should be adjusted. Reps and sets. amount of time between sets. Remember ur not lifting to be a body builder..Functional muscle is the goal

Forum Member

Rumormill: Low 300s made it through the medical. Doesn't leave a lot of room for error in passing the CPAT, background investigation, and run. The run will be on the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th, corresponding with the different platoon days off (2 = B, 3 = C, 5 = A/D). If that's all true then they will have to let us know about the run... very soon.

Now the fun is seeing if this pans out.
    HopefulFF and River6019 like this.

Forum Member

Why don't you run 5/3/1 and you can do both. There is no need to lift more than 95% of your 1RM.
    If you want to get some size, do a 5 x 10/50 reps on your main lifts between 50%-70%. Same with your assistance. You can do 5/3/1 on a twice a week(Mon. and Fri.), and a third day if you want to add in assistance, or any other supplementary work. Conditioning after your lifting or in between Mon. and Fri. No hard conditioning Thur. and Sun.(day before).

If you are going to lift, and run/bodyweight. Keep the calories up and eat and sleep more. Keep it clean.
    Last edited by mky915; 12-18-2012 at 04:32 AM.
    HopefulFF likes this.

Forum Member

This may be a redundant question, I haven't been able to find time to get on here recently, but has anyone from the OC been contacted to begin the process?
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 99
    List: 36XX

It's all heart.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Rumormill: Low 300s made it through the medical. Doesn't leave a lot of room for error in passing the CPAT, background investigation, and run. The run will be on the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th, corresponding with the different platoon days off (2 = B, 3 = C, 5 = A/D). If that's all true then they will have to let us know about the run... very soon.

Now the fun is seeing if this pans out.

isnt the investigation the first thing you have to pass so they dont waste money on the medical?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY2000 View Post
    This may be a redundant question, I haven't been able to find time to get on here recently, but has anyone from the OC been contacted to begin the process?
    Not yet. We should hopefully start receiving packets after the first of the year.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    This is just my 2 cents as someone with a degree in Phys Ed. I would continue with cardio and lifting. Making sure you're getting enough calories everyday to sustain your weight. Calorie counting is the best way to do it.

Its normal to feel more tired if you're also doing cardio now. Your body is tired and therefore less able to do other activities. (this will lessen with time as your body is more able to remove lactic acid efficiently)

If you tell me your workout schedule/goals maybe there's something that could/should be adjusted. Reps and sets. amount of time between sets. Remember ur not lifting to be a body builder..Functional muscle is the goal
    Before I got my # I was pretty consistent with 5x5 workout with the basic compound lifts, adding 5 lbs. every other workout. With this I was running like twice a week maybe, but getting cardio from playing ball and stuff. Now I'm running BEFORE lifting, always doing a pull-up push up type workout after, but cut my heavy lifting back to only twice a week. I wanna go back to 5x5 with the running I'm doing now but the strength gains will be that much harder. Let me know if you have any suggestions. I'm in the low 2000s so I have time to experiment a bit and see what gives the best results.
    Last edited by mocon337; 12-18-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Thread Information