Like Tree9870Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pericnyc View Post
    Anyone ever get jammed up on pd processing? Wondering if/what hurdles that might present going forward w fd
    Thats one of the reasons I dropped out of PD ivestigation processing. I was aafraid DQ would follow me to FD. I talked to several freinds of friends in that department and they told me they have never heard of it being a problem and I was being a paranoid. Not sure if thats what you were talking about.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    Lol I'm guessing si guys usually stay here?
    Correct! Really, do ya wanna take the Guedo Gang Plank everytime you have to go to work?
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Correct! Really, do ya wanna take the Guedo Gang Plank everytime you have to go to work?
    Lol, it just looks boring on the island. Among other boroughs are si guys looked down upon?
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    Hey guys quick question. Going to cpat orientation Saturday afternoon. After the military I went to school so have never been in the business world and don't really know what business casual is and don't wanna underdress. If anyone could post example is it like golf clothes like khakis and a collard shirt ? Or like a suite with no tie
    im gonna be there too dude... it says to dress business casual?

....... ooh and quick question I just wanna throw out there... my paperwork came in the mail the other day and my investigation is in mid march... Any idea what type of questions they'll be asking?
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 105
    List: 2xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcfd31 View Post
    anyone going down to 9mt on 13 March?
    *raises hand*
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 105
    List: 2xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WTRBG View Post
    im gonna be there too dude... it says to dress business casual?

....... ooh and quick question I just wanna throw out there... my paperwork came in the mail the other day and my investigation is in mid march... Any idea what type of questions they'll be asking?
    This has been said many times, but your goal is to bring everything they ask for, and the completed background investigation packet. That's it. They'll take your stuff and make copies of it, have you flll out paperwork, and finger print you. It's not an interview, just processing.

That said, treat every one of these steps like it is an interview. Health and Fitness is sizing you guys up at the orientations, as are the DIs. At the investigation you're going to be at headquarters, so don't be stupid.
    DFDNY444 and WTRBG like this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    Lol, it just looks boring on the island. Among other boroughs are si guys looked down upon?
    It's not as bad as they say it is at the Rock. You catch fires same as 90% of the city but you don't run on nearly half as much bull****. There are parts of all five boroughs, even Brooklyn, that don't do any more fire duty than we do here.

That said, you want to start at a busy company doing as many runs as you can. That's how you learn building construction, how many lengths you need to stretch etc. Do yourself a favor and move off SI before you get to the Rock because if you give an address here that's where they'll send you. And it's murder to get out of here because, unfortunately, yes, half the hotshots in the city do in fact look down on SI guys.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

Hey everyone, i wnna say congrats to everyone who is getting contacted,receiving packets and going to cpat prep. Im unclear on the strength requirements. I heard something about 30 situps in one minute and 30 pushups in 1 minute? What do u guys know about this.
    and also i been running for the past 2 months now and cant seem to get the 1.5 mile in under 13 minutes. when i first started i did it in about 14min 30 sec. and now today i did it in 13 min 20 sec. but i have stood lik this for the past week with no more improvement. So what im also asking is what can i do to improve this time? constantly run the 1.5 mile? run longer distances and longer time and not worry about speed? weight train my legs? please help guys..thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenscm View Post
    Hey everyone, i wnna say congrats to everyone who is getting contacted,receiving packets and going to cpat prep. Im unclear on the strength requirements. I heard something about 30 situps in one minute and 30 pushups in 1 minute? What do u guys know about this.
    and also i been running for the past 2 months now and cant seem to get the 1.5 mile in under 13 minutes. when i first started i did it in about 14min 30 sec. and now today i did it in 13 min 20 sec. but i have stood lik this for the past week with no more improvement. So what im also asking is what can i do to improve this time? constantly run the 1.5 mile? run longer distances and longer time and not worry about speed? weight train my legs? please help guys..thanks
    OKAY! This is an awesome question about improving times. And Im board as **** and more than happy to answer it(but in a round about way)

ANSWER THIS FOR ME: On a scale from 1-10 how tired are you at the end of your run?

once you answer it ill put in my two cents(need that answer to give a better answer myself)

Forum Member

Start doing sprints every other run, my man. They'll kick your *** and should improve your speed. I think at least (I'm no expert despite the name)...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Start doing sprints every other run, my man. They'll kick your *** and should improve your speed. I think (I'm no expert despite the name).
    LOL, despite the name... Although I somewhat agree with this, given when I played soccer I felt that agility and spirits helped me recover faster.

The science behind this idea does not hold up. At least as I learned it. (trust me i was sitting there going my biomachines teacher was full of ****)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    LOL, despite the name... Although I somewhat agree with this, given when I played soccer I felt that agility and spirits helped me recover faster.

The science behind this idea does not hold up. At least as I learned it. (trust me i was sitting there going my biomachines teacher was full of ****)
    I'm not 100% sure what you just said lol.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

I'm not 100% sure what you just said lol.
    LOL i was jumping into the shower and was like let me post this real fast... sorry

ummm... Before I started taking the advanced level classes to become a Phys Ed teacher I would have agreed with what you said. That spiriting would improve your distance times. Because I felt when I was doing agility training for soccer and spirits that I recovered faster.

But contrary to what I believed. I discovered when I was in biomachines, that this would have such a small effect on improving the aerobic system that it was almost a waste of time.

Forum Member

So the information session was interesting tonight. I'm surprised how unprepared people are. The ph's i saw there and sat next to were both 40 & overweight. One was about 300 plus pounds and the other was also overweight and seemed more worried about how much back pay he'll get and not at all on fitness. I was shocked how many people in my group that had never even heard of a stairmill. It blows my mind thay this far in the game people are this clueless, really showing up 40yrs old with a gut like you're expecting twins is embarrassing.

Forum Member

Im just gonna answer the question. Without having my question answered first.
    How tired are you at the end of your run? The reason I asked this is because most people without a running background are not going to pace themselves correctly to finish and run at a proper VO2 max.

Im just gonna say this to put this out there. In my opinion an UNtrained individual who is NOT over-weight and is under the age of 35 should be able to do 1.5 miles in 12 minutes (8 min mile pace)...SO if anyone goes out to the track and is struggling to reach this time, you have some serious work to put in.

The best way to improve your cardio for running just like everything else is to train specifically for that activity. Want to improve your times run more! I'm gonna list two way to go about it.
    A) Continue to run 1.5 miles and slowly bringing down your time.
    B) Continue to run at this pace and increase the distance until you are running 3 miles in 26 minutes

But since your training for not just this one "race" your training for the academy I would...

Do both. Your currently running(about) a 8:40 mile pace. Which is 2:10 a lap(1:05 half a lap) You need to stay on consistent lap times. If you have to write splits on your arm do so!!!

Week 1and2 do two miles at the splits listed
    Week 3and4 do two and half(2.5) miles at splits listed
    Week 5and6 do three miles at splits listed

Assuming you stayed with your workout and were able to do the runs at this times. On the middle of week 6. Instead of running your 3 miles; Do a 1.5 mile run at a 8 min mile pace. This is 2 minutes a lap(1 minute half lap) This should be almost no problem.

Run 3x a week. Try to break it up. MWF. If you stick to this and meet your times. At the end of 6 weeks post again. And I'll give you updated "goals" and you'll have a better base to work off of and I can recommend some different runs.
    vekdoggs75 and Blinkster like this.

Forum Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you cannot stay ahead of the pacer during the 1.5, then you're not thirsty for the job. Honestly if you're in decent shape, your adrenaline and general excitement should make it a cakewalk.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

40+ year old Obese PH's? People that are clueless of a stair mill?

Thats actually goods news! The odds that they will pass the academy, or even the CPAT/physical requirements is slim and it gives someone better qualified an opportunity. This job is for people who really want it! They should have done their research for what the job requires and been prepared for it. They obviously didn't do their research and don't want this job as bad as others. Getting the best job in the world is a competition and it's survival of the fittest! May the best qualified and deserving candidates get this job!
    Last edited by DannyD0pe; 02-14-2013 at 01:27 AM.

Forum Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you cannot stay ahead of the pacer during the 1.5, then you're not thirsty for the job. Honestly if you're in decent shape, your adrenaline and general excitement should make it a cakewalk.
    This is not a knock at you. But I always hear girls talk about adrenaline like its this magical thing that will kick in when they really need it. The truth of the matter is, when you reach that wall and your heart is beating at 95% max for more than a minute you will stop. I promise you that.

There's also something called an adrenaline dump. Which can hurt you A LOT!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    This is not a knock at you. But I always hear girls talk about adrenaline like its this magical thing that will kick in when they really need it. The truth of the matter is, when you reach that wall and your heart is beating at 95% max for more than a minute you will stop. I promise you that.

There's also something called an adrenaline dump. Which can hurt you A LOT!
    No offence taken. I guess I am speaking more to the gents and ladies who are remotely dedicated. Not just some joe schmoe who's been watching reality tv for the past few years.

Forum Member

No offence taken. I guess I am speaking more to the gents and ladies who are remotely dedicated. Not just some joe schmoe who's been watching reality tv for the past few years.
    I haven't been watching reality tv to get ready. Ive been watching "rescue me" and "Chicago fire". ;-P
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    40+ year old Obese PH's? People that are clueless of a stair mill?

Thats actually goods news! The odds that they will pass the academy, or even the CPAT/physical requirements is slim and it gives someone better qualified an opportunity. This job is for people who really want it! They should have done their research for what the job requires and been prepared for it. They obviously didn't do their research and don't want this job as bad as others. Getting the best job in the world is a competition and it's survival of the fittest! May the best qualified and deserving candidates get this job!
    It's good news but this is when I get mad ... I personally know 5 guys that took the test because... two of them were walking to mcds in church and Nostrand and the other three were shopping in the mall kings plaza and all 5 got no clue of the process and what's the academy about. I tried to fill them in and that we need to run, since they in better shape than me they take me as a joke and tell me u need to run lol ... Another friend is in pd academy and its loving it after they phone call I know he staying Over there

Forum Member

Are you running in a treadmill or outside ? I used to run in a treadmill and wasn't progressing at all ... The minute I ran outside I felt so good and ran faster and longer ... I over did it and hurted myself so be careful

Forum Member

Run Harder dude your almost there
    FD Exam # 2000
    Score- 102
    List- 10xx
    CPAT- Passed
    Psych- Passed
    Medical - Passed
    Retest for stairs -Passed
    Medically cleared for hire....."can't wait" -Bart Scott

Forum Member

The best thing to help your running is learning HOW to run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN1x3Ik1t5Y

Forum Member

I had Terrorism Awareness Training 2 days ago at The Rock.....MM you guys look good. Saw some of the boys as I was walking by going to lunch but I just kept it moving and looked down. I left about 2:00 and squads must have been changing and it was like every probie there was on the move. I started running the hell out of there lol (off the sidewalk of course, don't wana develop bad habits). I just felt so weird. Guys on the right of me were doing PT, guys on the left were marching to the next evolution, and straight ahead guys were double timing to line up. I didn't want to make eye contact with any of my buddies so for some reason I just started running lol. I needed to get the hell outta there. Pretty painful to hear and see but at least winter is winding down and you OC boys are on the move. Our class is just around the corner. I shouldn't have any more training orders for EMS either so I can confidently say that my next trip to the rock will be in running sneaks for the mile and a half.

On a side note....relax. Get in shape, get all the documents you need in order, keep it clean and safe, and stay in shape. DO NOT kill your self for the CPAT and the mile and a half. From my experience going through the process this fall into winter I can tell you that there is no need to stress those processes. Stress THE ROCK. Focus on that. The CPAT is a complete joke and you get three god damn tries. If you fail the stairs at your medical because you're a nervous nelly and cannot keep your HR down, you'll get a second try and all you have to do is NOT DIE in 8 mins. And what I heard from all my friends currently in the academy is that the preliminary mile and half and barely timed and if you're fast they make you slow down. I thought for sure tons of EMS guys would be failing and I would be in the Jan class. Not the case. Everyone passes. So deep breath boys. Focus on endurance for long days at The Rock and a lot of reading when you get home. My friends also suggested getting your hands on the probie books and getting a leg up on reading them plus learning some knots. MM can elaborate this weekend i'm sure.
    Stay safe gents....
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Thread Information