Like Tree10634Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #7326
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    112

    Default

    ****Double Post*****
    Last edited by JerkAlert; 02-14-2013 at 09:35 AM.

  2. #7327
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephenscm View Post
    Hey everyone, i wnna say congrats to everyone who is getting contacted,receiving packets and going to cpat prep. Im unclear on the strength requirements. I heard something about 30 situps in one minute and 30 pushups in 1 minute? What do u guys know about this.
    and also i been running for the past 2 months now and cant seem to get the 1.5 mile in under 13 minutes. when i first started i did it in about 14min 30 sec. and now today i did it in 13 min 20 sec. but i have stood lik this for the past week with no more improvement. So what im also asking is what can i do to improve this time? constantly run the 1.5 mile? run longer distances and longer time and not worry about speed? weight train my legs? please help guys..thanks
    Run 5 miles three times a week. Do so at a pace where you're still able to speak sentences and be understood. No need to set a land speed record, but keep yourself slightly uncomfortable. After you finish, take a short breather and walk for 5 or 10 minutes. Then do 6 sets of sprints of about 30 seconds each with a slow cool down jog back to your starting point. Whether a personal trainer will recommend this or not, I don't know. But it got me through the run portion at the Rock pretty easily.

    Also, be sure you're doing plenty of pushups, pullups and situps. You don't want to show up on day one and not be able to pass the initial pt test. There are those that will tell you to leave the heavy weights alone, and it's true you'll be doing low weight, high rep stuff at the Rock. But you need to have a baseline measure of strength for the training evolutions like advancing hoseline so make sure you can easily lift your body weight 3 or 4 times MINIMUM. Maybe one day a week do a few heavy sets of squats or deadlifts. And don't worry if a week or two goes by with no improvement; keep at it and you'll get there.
    ffbam24, JerkAlert and mocon337 like this.

  3. #7328
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Do yourself a favor and move off SI before you get to the Rock because if you give an address here that's where they'll send you. And it's murder to get out of here because, unfortunately, yes, half the hotshots in the city do in fact look down on SI guys.

    Is this really the only way to work off of the Island? The handful of guys I know OTJ all live on SI, but work in Brooklyn. They all have 10+ years though so a lot has probably changed since they got on.

  4. #7329
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Brooklyn- yes that's what I was talking about curious what background stuff they ask

  5. #7330
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    690

    Default

    First post, wishing all the guys luck on out upcoming physical test. See some of you on Saturday morning.

  6. #7331
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Is this really the only way to work off of the Island? The handful of guys I know OTJ all live on SI, but work in Brooklyn. They all have 10+ years though so a lot has probably changed since they got on.
    Some guys move here after they get their houses and some transfer in with time on. After some time goes by you can make a move. But it takes a little while. Your best bet is to have an address off of SI. Of course, things could be different now than they were when I got on and they may not need to fill out the Island the way they were. Either way, focus on getting on and through the Rock. Whatever house in whatever borough you go to, it's still the best job in the world.
    FDsouthbxNY and grok350 like this.

  7. #7332
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Some guys move here after they get their houses and some transfer in with time on. After some time goes by you can make a move. But it takes a little while. Your best bet is to have an address off of SI. Of course, things could be different now than they were when I got on and they may not need to fill out the Island the way they were. Either way, focus on getting on and through the Rock. Whatever house in whatever borough you go to, it's still the best job in the world.
    You're right, that's about step 200 and I'm on 5, lol. Thanks for the info.

  8. #7333
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    298

    Default

    You will be surprised at the andrenaline rush you get when running the mile and a half. I've been training and where I run the first mile is a pretty significant uphill grade and I thought I needed to train harder because I couldn't seem to get the 1.5 mile in 12 minutes or less. But then I realized the second 1.5 mile I did I was making it just under 12 minutes after already have run 1.5 miles. Then I got into the ems academy and did their timed run which was on completely flat land, plus the adrenaline, and I ran it in 10:05 so don't be so quick to say you can't.

    Now I'm prepping for the rock and try to run at least 4 miles every morning at an average pace of about 8:30/mile. Just keep running and push yourself just a little more every couple of days and you'll be there in no time.

    Work on your pull ups, that's the biggest pita. I've been working hard at it and still barely make 5.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

  9. #7334
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    221

    Default

    What is going on guys? I have a question. If you are called for the intake interview, is it a definite you are going to the ROCK? Of course, if everything goes right with your background check, medical, etc. Also, how long is the physical training at the Rock? Does the intensity lighten up after two months then the main focus is on reading comprehension, etc. Has anyone heard when the CPAT will be held? When I took the test in 2002, we took the CPAT first, then the intake interview second. Are any veterans aware why the order has changed?
    Also, a rumor is going around stating, no matter which way the lawsuit goes, the PH’s are going through the hiring process.

  10. #7335
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Work on your pull ups, that's the biggest pita. I've been working hard at it and still barely make 5.
    I've found doing these two exercises after what ever your pull up routine is helps big time:


    5 sets of jumping up and hanging at the top of a pull up for 5 seconds, then lowering yourself down and hanging at the bottom for an additional 5 seconds

    Inverted Rows. They help out a ton. I try to do 3 sets of 5, when that became too easy I put a 25lbs sandbag on my chest and am working my way up to 3x5. I'll use a smith machine for the bar, as they get easier from there lower the position of the bar closer to the floor. Example of what I mean:

    http://www.body-mind-strength.com/as...s_starting.jpg

  11. #7336
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    Are you running in a treadmill or outside ? I used to run in a treadmill and wasn't progressing at all ... The minute I ran outside I felt so good and ran faster and longer ... I over did it and hurted myself so be careful
    I need to run outside also, so I can set distance goals and zone out mentally so I don't feel the pain. I also use the nike iphone app. Have to be honest that I haven't run recently because my list number is in the 6000's but I will start as start next week. I know it takes a long time build up endurance.
    Plus I bought all these cold weather nike tights on sale for like 25$ so I look the part lol.
    Saw some kid running on the treadmill yesterday at NYSC with a vest on, was gonna ask him if he was training for FD but figured he wouldn't know what I was talking about, and I wondered why he wasn't on the stair climber.
    in reference to me, you know you are carrying to much weight when you can lat pulldown almost the whole rack but hardly do any pullups. Switched my routine to fix that.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  12. #7337
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Center of the Universe
    Posts
    372

    Default

    1. There are no guarantees with the FDNY, or NYC, or the Rock. Ever.
    2. Physical training occurs on day 1, and continues for the duration.
    3. Intensity lighten up? Are you serious?
    4. You did not take the cpat in 2002. You took a competitive physical test.
    5. Regarding your rumor, see #1.

    Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    What is going on guys? I have a question. If you are called for the intake interview, is it a definite you are going to the ROCK? Of course, if everything goes right with your background check, medical, etc. Also, how long is the physical training at the Rock? Does the intensity lighten up after two months then the main focus is on reading comprehension, etc. Has anyone heard when the CPAT will be held? When I took the test in 2002, we took the CPAT first, then the intake interview second. Are any veterans aware why the order has changed?
    Also, a rumor is going around stating, no matter which way the lawsuit goes, the PH’s are going through the hiring process.
    FDsouthbxNY and coldblood92 like this.
    To Persist is to Conquer.

  13. #7338
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Center of the Universe
    Posts
    372

    Default

    I have to admit that didnt even occur to me. I was even in a similar situation; Backdraft (or however you spell it, with numbers or something...) if thats the case, the best thing you can do is dump everything you know and start chugging the proverbial kool aid.

    Like Bam said: Be a clean slate. Everyone has to know and do the same job here because even though its a 5 borrough city, the members are just interchangeable cogs in the system. Theres no rules preventing a guy from working the big H-types of the north Bronx one night, to PDs in Jamaica the next, to tenements in Chinatown or commercial hi rises in midtown after that. For that reason, everyone needs to be on the same page.

    Fortunately, you get the basics that you need in proby school. To paraphrase from Full Metal Jacket, theyll teach you how to pee. Just dont fight it. And youll hear it eventually: "Resistance is futile."

    Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    I held off on replying to the brother's post, and didn't want to jump on him for his current OTJ experience and trying to relate to the folks here. I came here with some experience from a previous department too, but had to be a clean slate for how we do it here.

    And that's just one of the things that I love about the job here. We do things different in many aspects. Those of you coming here from another department need to leave all of that behind you.

    Our department, fireground, etc; operate on a different level. Your position, the type of building, what due you are, all dictate where you go, what tools you bring and what you do.
    ffbam24 likes this.
    To Persist is to Conquer.

  14. #7339
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    1. There are no guarantees with the FDNY, or NYC, or the Rock. Ever.
    2. Physical training occurs on day 1, and continues for the duration.
    3. Intensity lighten up? Are you serious?
    4. You did not take the cpat in 2002. You took a competitive physical test.
    5. Regarding your rumor, see #1.
    Thanks for the response, but why would you assume I didn't take the CPAT. No, I didn't take the CPAT in 02, I am references to the test that was given in 02, which lead to taking the CPAT I believe in 03-04. And what is this competitive physical test you are talking about.

    Also, do you need a CDL to drive the Big Red.
    Last edited by almostthere; 02-14-2013 at 02:44 PM.

  15. #7340
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    Thanks for the response, but why would you assume I didn't take the CPAT. No, I didn't take the CPAT in 02, I am references to the test that was given in 02, which lead to taking the CPAT I believe in 03-04. And what is this competitive physical test you are talking about.

    Also, do you need a CDL to drive the Big Red.
    Probably because there was no cpat in 2002 for fdny, there was a graded physical. The cpat was first used for 2007 or 2008 class. So yea pretty impossible to have taken a cpat then

  16. #7341
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    Probably because there was no cpat in 2002 for fdny, there was a graded physical. The cpat was first used for 2007 or 2008 class. So yea pretty impossible to have taken a cpat then
    Okay, but if I am not mistaken this CPAT that we suppose to take has the same obstacles of the grade test that you guys are referencing to. Is it just a name change and a different way of grading it. for example, numeric grading compared to a pass/fail system.

  17. #7342
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Work on your pull ups, that's the biggest pita. I've been working hard at it and still barely make 5.
    Pullups are something that you just have to keep doing over and over. There's a few workouts that work but the one I used was something that they did at Parris Island during boot camp. Very simply, start at 50 pullups. Do as many max as you can then rest a minute. Keep going like that until you get to 50 every other day. After a month, rest for four days. Then try for 75. Go like that adding 25 a month and you'll see improvement in no time.

  18. #7343
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bed-Stuy Brooklyn
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    I have to admit that didnt even occur to me. I was even in a similar situation; Backdraft (or however you spell it, with numbers or something...) if thats the case, the best thing you can do is dump everything you know and start chugging the proverbial kool aid.

    Like Bam said: Be a clean slate. Everyone has to know and do the same job here because even though its a 5 borrough city, the members are just interchangeable cogs in the system. Theres no rules preventing a guy from working the big H-types of the north Bronx one night, to PDs in Jamaica the next, to tenements in Chinatown or commercial hi rises in midtown after that. For that reason, everyone needs to be on the same page.

    Fortunately, you get the basics that you need in proby school. To paraphrase from Full Metal Jacket, theyll teach you how to pee. Just dont fight it. And youll hear it eventually: "Resistance is futile."
    Yeah, got it, different town, different way, different job.

  19. #7344
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    What is going on guys? I have a question. If you are called for the intake interview, is it a definite you are going to the ROCK? Of course, if everything goes right with your background check, medical, etc. Also, how long is the physical training at the Rock? Does the intensity lighten up after two months then the main focus is on reading comprehension, etc. Has anyone heard when the CPAT will be held? When I took the test in 2002, we took the CPAT first, then the intake interview second. Are any veterans aware why the order has changed?
    Also, a rumor is going around stating, no matter which way the lawsuit goes, the PH’s are going through the hiring process.
    May I offer some friendly advice? Do yourself a favor and quit mentioning the priority hire thing. You did not meet the standard before and a politically correct judge with an agenda has given you another shot. What's going on with priority hires right now isn't fair to guys who DID meet the standard nor other guys, like yourself, who didn't and are not getting another shot because they are a certain color. You got lucky. Take this second opportunity, train for it and earn the job the right way. Never forget that you are being granted something you didn't earn at the expense of other people who did and understand the job as a whole isn't going to like it. In fact, we WANT the priority hire thing to go away. We don't want guys on the firefloor with us who are there because some snotnosed judge thinks they should be. Don't advertise it. You may be a great guy, but someone who gets an 85 on a test my 10 year old could ace has no business complaining about being passed over or discriminated against.

  20. #7345
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    May I offer some friendly advice? Do yourself a favor and quit mentioning the priority hire thing. You did not meet the standard before and a politically correct judge with an agenda has given you another shot. What's going on with priority hires right now isn't fair to guys who DID meet the standard nor other guys, like yourself, who didn't and are not getting another shot because they are a certain color. You got lucky. Take this second opportunity, train for it and earn the job the right way. Never forget that you are being granted something you didn't earn at the expense of other people who did and understand the job as a whole isn't going to like it. In fact, we WANT the priority hire thing to go away. We don't want guys on the firefloor with us who are there because some snotnosed judge thinks they should be. Don't advertise it. You may be a great guy, but someone who gets an 85 on a test my 10 year old could ace has no business complaining about being passed over or discriminated against.
    This again. Okay, whatever you say buddy. Have a good day.

  21. #7346
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I've found doing these two exercises after what ever your pull up routine is helps big time:


    5 sets of jumping up and hanging at the top of a pull up for 5 seconds, then lowering yourself down and hanging at the bottom for an additional 5 seconds

    Inverted Rows. They help out a ton. I try to do 3 sets of 5, when that became too easy I put a 25lbs sandbag on my chest and am working my way up to 3x5. I'll use a smith machine for the bar, as they get easier from there lower the position of the bar closer to the floor. Example of what I mean:

    http://www.body-mind-strength.com/as...s_starting.jpg
    I don't have access to a gym but ill figure out a way to give the rows a shot. Thanks for the input lets see if it works.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

  22. #7347
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    This again. Okay, whatever you say buddy. Have a good day.
    Once again, friendly advice. Heed it or don't. But don't come on here begging for info from those of us on the job and the guys coming on now as if you've met the same standard we did. If you have a question, ask it. But keep the priority hire crap to yourself.

  23. #7348
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Once again, friendly advice. Heed it or don't. But don't come on here begging for info from those of us on the job and the guys coming on now as if you've met the same standard we did. If you have a question, ask it. But keep the priority hire crap to yourself.
    Now I am begging for information. Yeah, keep your friendly advice to yourself. Okay, no need to go back and forward with you. Like I said, have a good day buddy.

  24. #7349
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    I don't have access to a gym but ill figure out a way to give the rows a shot. Thanks for the input lets see if it works.
    three chairs and a bar should do it, but I'm pretty sure we at least get a discount at NYSC to train for the CPAT.



    Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    This again. Okay, whatever you say buddy. Have a good day.
    Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    Now I am begging for information. Yeah, keep your friendly advice to yourself. Okay, no need to go back and forward with you. Like I said, have a good day buddy.

    Just some advice, you're going to need some thick skin. He summed up the situation about as civil as you're going to see it if the PH's are approved and you make it on the job. If the PH's are approved, guys on the job will have to accept it. Plenty of us on the OC have to accept that we should be a lock for a July class, but we aren't, because of the PH's. It's unrealistic for you to feel like you're not going to have to accept any potential negatives that come with your situation.

    And anyway we'll all need thick skin, if you let people know their ball busting gets to you, they're just going to do it more. That has nothing to do with the FDNY, that's just how it goes
    River6019 likes this.

  25. #7350
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York, NY U.S.
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    Now I am begging for information. Yeah, keep your friendly advice to yourself. Okay, no need to go back and forward with you. Like I said, have a good day buddy.
    You are free to withhold response if you like. Since you know it all already, there's really no need for you to even be on here. Perhaps go for a jog and at least attempt to meet our standard, being as how you're being handed the job either way. And yes, a full paragraph of why what and how is indeed begging for information. At least give these guys the courtesy of not throwing your priority hire status in their faces.

    My last word to you is this: be humble. If here in cyberspace where nobody can get to you you want to play the tough guy, go right ahead and enjoy yourself. Take this same crap attitude of yours to any firehouse in the city and you will get your balls crushed. And rightly so.

    You may go now, and have a good day.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 2 guests)

  1. Fdnypls

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 05:52 AM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 09:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 01:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 04:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 12:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register