Like Tree9514Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Funny you say that. I just switched from heavy lifting for 3 years (I've always had issues putting muscle on) to an actual circuit training program and I gotta say it's kicking my *** haha. Finally realized the mass isn't important. But when I went to squat yesterday I felt like I lost so much strength (like 50 lbs+ on my squat). You think one day per week for those two lifts is good just to keep your brute strength in check?
    One day is good enough for me. I maintain a 400 lbs deadlift and a 315 lbs squat. I basically do 5x5; one set at 60%, one set at 80% then 3 sets at max weight. Pretty standard heavy lift program. You may not want to do this while you're at the Rock, and as a matter of fact I didn't because that kind of weight can f*** you up if your already tired and not able to concentrate. I really didn't notice the difference until I went to a few jobs before and after I added the heavy lifts. Makes a world of difference on the line and going up stairs under weight. The circuit program they'll give you should absolutely be the cornerstone of your program. Try it both ways see how it works for you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    One day is good enough for me. I maintain a 400 lbs deadlift and a 315 lbs squat. I basically do 5x5; one set at 60%, one set at 80% then 3 sets at max weight. Pretty standard heavy lift program. You may not want to do this while you're at the Rock, and as a matter of fact I didn't because that kind of weight can f*** you up if your already tired and not able to concentrate. I really didn't notice the difference until I went to a few jobs before and after I added the heavy lifts. Makes a world of difference on the line and going up stairs under weight. The circuit program they'll give you should absolutely be the cornerstone of your program. Try it both ways see how it works for you.
    Yea simply put I'm worried about sacrificing strength for endurance since I'm a swimmer/runner type as it is and am not a guy with natural brute strength. But from what I hear about training for the academy (if I get the opportunity to get there), this mix should be good. I just need to keep putting the work in and stop worrying about semantics.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1z8N1Kr6BU

Personal role model of mine, Captain Patrick Brown. Humble, down-to-earth, lead by example, and always put his men before himself. He was an avid and enthusiastic practitioner of yoga. If it's good enough for the Captain, it is good enough for you. (Check out the book Miss You, Pat by Sharon Watts to learn more about this man)

I believe yoga has many benefits for firefighters.

-Mobility. When we get older, it becomes an even greater factor. Mobility is very important and underrated aspect of health/fitness. It provides a great balance for all the strength/conditioning work done.

-Mind. Emphasis on quieting the mind. Improve focus. Positive benefit for mental health(like what Captain Brown said in the video) and stress reduction.

-Health. Thousands of articles online and personal testimonials on yoga.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Yea simply put I'm worried about sacrificing strength for endurance since I'm a swimmer/runner type as it is and am not a guy with natural brute strength. But from what I hear about training for the academy (if I get the opportunity to get there), this mix should be good. I just need to keep putting the work in and stop worrying about semantics.
    21xx is a decent list number. You'll get there at some point. Keep training and hang in there. Give the heavy weights a try once a week see if it works for you. You'll have to eat a bit more to get through those workouts, too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mky915 View Post

Personal role model of mine, Captain Patrick Brown. Humble, down-to-earth, lead by example, and always put his men before himself. He was an avid and enthusiastic practitioner of yoga. If it's good enough for the Captain, it is good enough for you. (Check out the book Miss You, Pat by Sharon Watts to learn more about this man)

-Mobility. When we get older, it becomes an even greater factor. Mobility is very important and underrated aspect of health/fitness. It provides a great balance for all the strength/conditioning work done.

-Mind. Emphasis on quieting the mind. Improve focus. Positive benefit for mental health(like what Captain Brown said in the video) and stress reduction.

Capt Brown was as good as they come. Hell of a Marine and the model we should all be shooting for as firemen. Sure would like to have had him as a boss to pick his brains, and I work for some of the best bosses on the job today.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mky915 View Post

I've done Bikram yoga (hot yoga) a number of times. It's arguably the toughest thing I've ever done. I challenge any of you tough guys to coast through 90 minutes of it.

And the women in there..........my god the women.

Forum Member

I will continue to squat because I already have my form down. I would go rushing into squats from watching a youtube video, especially since they aren't that high on the priority list in comparison to climbing with a vest. If you really wanna squat and deadlift read Starting strength so you understand true proper form and lumbar extension, knees out etc.
    Took me a while to get it.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I will continue to squat because I already have my form down. I would go rushing into squats from watching a youtube video, especially since they aren't that high on the priority list in comparison to climbing with a vest. If you really wanna squat and deadlift read Starting strength so you understand true proper form and lumbar extension, knees out etc.
    Took me a while to get it.
    Absolutely. Big compound lifts with bad form are a fantastic way to get yourself hurt. Learn the right way with manageable weight then get into the heavy stuff.

Forum Member

Is everyone really wearing business casual attire to the CPAT information session?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by brk2012 View Post
    Is everyone really wearing business casual attire to the CPAT information session?
    Do yourself a favor. Unless it says business attire, like when you go for your orientation and paperwork at the Rock, stick with slacks and a button shirt. It can't hurt to look halfway decent. Worst case is you're a bit overdressed in front of people you don't know. But be advised important people have an eye out and names aren't hard to look up. Look the part of a professional and you'll be viewed as one.
    HopefulFF, vekdoggs75 and brk2012 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Absolutely. Big compound lifts with bad form are a fantastic way to get yourself hurt. Learn the right way with manageable weight then get into the heavy stuff.
    Because of my weird limb proportions it took me a while to find my proper form. I had to go a little wider than usual in order not to have flexion in the bottom, and push my knees out pretty far. I squat low bar and its much better for my back,less torque on back and hips are further back with out much knee travel over foot. . I also wear lifting shoes.

Funny thing is I am weak on the stairs with the vest so I have to switch my priorities.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 02-14-2013 at 11:33 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Name:  rocky-chicken.jpg
Views: 2297
Size:  19.6 KB

I am watching rocky 2 right now and I am thinking of buying a chicken to chase around for speed, any one willing to chip in for the chicken and some chicken feed.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 02-14-2013 at 11:45 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

MembersZone Subscriber

Attachment 22771

I am watching rocky 2 right now and I am thinking of buying a chicken to chase around for speed, any one willing to chip in for the chicken and some chicken feed.
    I feel like a Kentucky fried idiot.
    River6019 likes this.

Forum Member

Attachment 22771

Buy a chick they like a dollar or so ... They grow fast ... Feed it raw corn

Forum Member

its gonna make me a Greasy Fast I-talian. When mic is done with me, they are gonna have to put me in a cage.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

MembersZone Subscriber

its gonna make me a Greasy Fast I-talian. When mic is done with me, they are gonna have to put me in a cage.
    We need speed, demon speed, speed's what we need, greasy fast lightning speed!
    mocon337 likes this.

Forum Member

Anyone know who I have to speak to in order to defer the process? Also where I can find the accepted reasons for deferment? I just got my background packet in the mail but I am still in school and need to defer until after the summer.

Thanks!
    FDNY Exam 6019 List# 14XX.
    Lawsuit Victim: Completed process, cancelled academy.

FDNY Exam 2000 List# 6XX.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nightowl75 View Post
    Anyone know who I have to speak to in order to defer the process? Also where I can find the accepted reasons for deferment? I just got my background packet in the mail but I am still in school and need to defer until after the summer.

Thanks!
    When you get in contact with them ... Tell them you want to give your spot to Dannypanigale thanks
    ffbam24, rcfd31 and Spiderneck30 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nightowl75 View Post

Thanks!

duuude......didn't you learn anything from 6019?!?!

Forum Member

Anyone know the FD's rules on tattoos?
    Test 2000
    List #: 57XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by anapolitano89 View Post
    From what I read here and join FDNY .. No there is none

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by anapolitano89 View Post
    Yeah no tribals or barb wire - butterflies and angels are allowed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    ****... I knew I shouldn't have drank that day smh!
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    What about a tramp stamp of a butterfly wrapped in barb wire ???
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    What about a tramp stamp of a butterfly wrapped in barb wire ???
    Is the butterfly wearing a fire helmet?

Thread Information