Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 303 of 1145 FirstFirst ... 203253293300301302303304305306313353403803 ... LastLast
Results 6,041 to 6,060 of 22884
Like Tree8993Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    To add a few things to Bams list:

A good sized water bottle
    Band aids
    Advil

Did they tell you you need a $9 money order? Bring two, you'll be an all star when someone forgets one. Karma goes a long way.
    Wondering... what is the money order for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Did I stutter?
    No, not at all. I mean if I get told to being a turducken then I will no questions asked.. But I was trying to make sense of it.. And duct tape is the only thing that doesn't fit in. Unless to put your name on your helmet.

Forum Member

Good luck to those entering. I can relay my experience from going thru a college academy and I hope it helps out in anyway (I cant delete if it offends anyone as I am not FDNY)

It's not about you now. This is about Brotherhood. You are your Brother's Keeper. Take care of each other, help each other, and stick together and everything will be fine. Listen and shut your mouth, you have no opinion. Yes Sir, No Sir. You messed up, no excuses, Sorry Sir won't happen again. Learn from it and perfect your weakness. Double time. Something needs to be done, step up and take the initiative. Take pride in everything you do, even the mundane such as cleaning up or wiping down the sink after washing your hands from the restroom. Do it the right way, which is not always the easiest way. Encourage each other, and support each other, whether it is PT, doing a drill, or helping a brother studying for a quiz/exam. Get to know your fellow brothers. If by the end you can't talk and speak a little about your fellow brothers, wth is wrong with you? NO IGM (I Got Mines) or Blue Falcons.
    Set the example. Attitude is everything, be positive, and be determined. You think Instructors don't notice but they do, again attitude! It is a privilege to be there. Remind yourself of the FDNY firefighters and other firefighters from around the world,who have come before you, who some have paid the ultimate sacrifice. They are looking down at you, make them proud. Do not go out on the weekends, study, eat, sleep, and repeat. Dig deep, you may be pushed to your limit, whether it is in a drill, PT, an exam, or getting up at 4am when the alarm goes off. Dig deep and find your inner and true strength. I hope you guys fall in love with the job, what an honor it is to serve and help people. It's will always be about Brotherhood and helping people. Period. Be humble. Humble in your speech and great in your actions. Get into the job, now and forever...Dunn, Brannigan, Fredericks, Brennan, Mittendorf, McCormack. Don't you ever put down a Brother, if he has a weakness, help him become strong in that area, you have your weakness, too. The instructors are not their to be your friends/buddies. Respect the dividing line. Bring an extra something, some guy may forget and that some guy may be you. Everyday at the academy is the greatest day. Take care of each other and you will be just fine!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Duct tape?
    If I had to guess this would be (at least partially) for your helmet and tail flap. Have you ever seen photos of probies in class? They just write their name on duct tape and put it on their helmet/tail.

I got smart wool socks for Christmas and I think I'm going to buy a bunch more for the academy, they're great.

MembersZone Subscriber

You will be told what to bring. The important part is paying close attention. The instructions are not difficult, but you do have to follow them 100%. I am also reminded of a great quote:

"Theirs not to reason why,
    Theirs but to do and die"

In other words, don't get caught up in asking why, just do it.
    ffbam24 and sffdnyhopeful09 like this.

Forum Member

If you found socks you're comfortable with, that you can get on with damp feet, go for it. What worked for me was modells; they sell Wilson socks that work out to a dollar a pair, the quality is good, and you won't feel bad about wearing them out, which will happen no matter which brand you go with.

For the ems guys, you get a discount there too. Can't remember if it's 10 or 15%, but show your work ID, and you'll get the break.

Also the bunker boots youll be issued in the academy are thoroughly used, and you will spend a lot of time in them. Getting a good set of insoles for them is a good idea.
    ffbam24 likes this.
    To Persist is to Conquer.

Sports Authority too. Not sure if the discount is only available in the city stores though.

Re: Duct tape.
    MM hit it. You'll go through a lot. Bunker gear, helmets, etc.

You'll get a list of what to bring. We're just throwing out the extras that will help.

Don't worry about what the money order is for; just bring it.
    Be the guy that brings an extra one. Don't be the guy that didn't bring it.
    That and an extra pen or two.

You'd think there were adults coming onto this job, but every class has those that don't bring the minimum of what is required.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    Also the bunker boots youll be issued in the academy are thoroughly used, and you will spend a lot of time in them. Getting a good set of insoles for them is a good idea.
    Are the boots leather or rubber?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manny.B View Post
    Hello everyone. First, happy holidays to all. Second, the good luck to those running in the next following weeks, and hope everything goes well for you. Third, I've been following this forum for some time. I just wanted to know my chances of getting in any time soon? That way I don't have to put my hopes up high for next year.
    I'm in the same boat as you manny... We have years to go... Everyone agree?
    Exam: 2000
    Grade: 97
    List#: 86##
    There is hope!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skeetz111 View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you manny... We have years to go... Everyone agree?
    You should be preparing for the possibility of taking the next test. ~8600 is their best guess, not a promise.

To add a few things to Bams list:
    Bring two, you'll be an all star when someone forgets one. Karma goes a long way.

The best of the 3 As....but you can go from the good to the bad quickly. Better to be the middle A. lol
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Are the boots leather or rubber?
    You will be issued used leather boots and a pair of new rubber boots. The rubber boots are yours, the leather boots you will return. When you are issued bunker gear before graduation, you will also be issued new leather boots.

The rubber boots suck. The leather boots are worn as *****. It is what it is.

Forum Member

You will be issued used leather boots and a pair of new rubber boots. The rubber boots are yours, the leather boots you will return. When you are issued bunker gear before graduation, you will also be issued new leather boots.

The rubber boots suck. The leather boots are worn as *****. It is what it is.
    I have nightmares of trying to climb a ladder and doing a leg lock in rubber boots.. It is what it is though.. New, used, rubber, leather, salad bowl could care. Less just give me the job.
    sffdnyhopeful09 likes this.

Forum Member

I have nightmares of trying to climb a ladder and doing a leg lock in rubber boots.. It is what it is though.. New, used, rubber, leather, salad bowl could care. Less just give me the job.
    This is an appropriate response. I honestly expected to be bîtched out for asking, but I tend to agree with you. Rubbers suck, but it's only temporary.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    This is an appropriate response. I honestly expected to be bîtched out for asking, but I tend to agree with you. Rubbers suck, but it's only temporary.

Okay, well, since you've given away the fact that you know more than you should......here's some free advice:

Don't tell anyone you're a Volly. Pretend you know nothing. You really shouldn't be volunteering, at least not on probation. Take any photos or info off your Facebook page if they have to do with being a Volly. The instructors at the rock will break your balls big time. Believe me, I watched it happen. Being a volunteer really won't help much anyway, this is a whole new ball game.
    ffbam24, SkylinePCG and BKLYNBOY like this.

Forum Member

Okay, well, since you've given away the fact that you know more than you should......here's some free advice:

Don't tell anyone you're a Volly. Pretend you know nothing. You really shouldn't be volunteering, at least not on probation. Take any photos or info off your Facebook page if they have to do with being a Volly. The instructors at the rock will break your balls big time. Believe me, I watched it happen. Being a volunteer really won't help much anyway, this is a whole new ball game.
    I didn't know that the DIs looked at facebook. I was in the hiring for another big city dept and they had a VERY strict social media policy. no photos, no mention of where you work, etc.

Speaking of which, does FDNY have a social media policy? I mean just food for thought/discussion.

I understand that FDNY does things their way, and I will delete any/everything I've ever learned and learn it your guys' way. I rarely talk about my military experience if asked, I deffinately won't be talking about any volunteer experience to guys who have seen more fire in the last year then I've seen in my life.

Happy new years Guys!! stay safe and don't drink and drive. Don't need a DUI or public intoxication now.

Forum Member

Just some motivation for those of us a little bit further down the list..I watch this at least a few times a week..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8CFeQKL3pM
    coldblood92 likes this.

Forum Member

Just some motivation for those of us a little bit further down the list..I watch this at least a few times a week..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8CFeQKL3pM
    Watched this a million times and it still gets me tingly inside. Than after the sensation goes away I get real hungry lol
    BigGriffC12 and mocon337 like this.
    Fdny Exam 2000
    List # 3***

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emtnyc2012 View Post
    Watched this a million times and it still gets me tingly inside. Than after the sensation goes away I get real hungry lol
    I had a real hard time finding a job after I left the army...I was waiting forever and a day for FDNY to test and I'd watch this and it would keep me sane, keep me focused. Now that it is so close, I watch anything FDNY on you tube or where ever. I want to consume everything I can..I love it. I get butterflies whenever I get a chance to go into the city and get to see a fire truck, and I still haven't developed the balls to go into a firehouse and talk to anyone lol.

It's Amateur Night tonight.
    Don't frak it up. Especially those of you who have the run in less than 2 days now.

Good luck.
    Be safe.
    Hang tough.
    FDsouthbxNY and BKLYNBOY like this.

Thread Information