Like Tree10460Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    You must have not attended your CPAT training orientation, or you just simply weren't listening. I'm honestly not sure if your response is sarcastic or not. Sadly, that's the impression you've brought upon yourself on this thread. I pray you learn to leave this all behind IF you make it into the academy.

If your response wasn't sarcastic then I can simply say that (and I'm not speaking from personal experience but only from the experience of being a son to a NYC Firefigher) the FDNY is the greatest job in the world because the friendships you make from it are infinite. The flexibility of the job allows you to do whatever you like on the side. And you get to SAVE PEOPLE'S LIVES. (notice the money aspect, though being a fine perk, was not mentioned)

If this is the case, A job well done on his part. hahaha
    No, I haven’t gone to the orientation. You can receive the same perks being a teacher, besides the flexibility. Well they do have three months off and still get paid for it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    No, I haven’t gone to the orientation. You can receive the same perks being a teacher, besides the flexibility. Well they do have three months off and still get paid for it.
    Well you missed out on some valuable information and I'm sorry that you didn't go.

Firefighters also get paid vacation. 6-8 weeks, per year. (Don't quote me on that. But it's along those lines and corresponds with seniority)

Teaching is a good profession and I'm not bashing it at all. I just know I could never do it. But you sound like a perfect candidate. Have you looked into being a teacher? You should totally do that instead.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Well you missed out on some valuable information and I'm sorry that you didn't go.

Firefighters also get paid vacation. 6-8 weeks, per year. (Don't quote me on that. But it's along those lines and corresponds with seniority)

Teaching is a good profession and I'm not bashing it at all. I just know I could never do it. But you sound like a perfect candidate. Have you looked into being a teacher? You should totally do that instead.
    I know I am way to ahead of myself. But how does their work schedule work? Days and hours? Is it fixed for a certain amount of time or is it different every week?

Forum Member

So why don't you be a teacher and give the gentlemen who's spot you are taking back.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    I know I am way to ahead of myself. But how does their work schedule work? Days and hours? Is it fixed for a certain amount of time or is it different every week?
    Haha. I think we're all a bit ahead of ourselves minus the few guys on here actually on the job. I'm sure FDsouthbxNY, teufelhunden36 and whoever else I missed OTJ could answer that a lot better than I can. Like I said, my only experience is having my father on the job. From what I understand, and please correct me if I'm wrong, every year you will be handed a specific FDNY calendar (specific to your firehouse). On that calendar you will be assigned a number. Whenever your number appears on the calendar, you have work. There are two rows of numbers. The top row represents the day tour (9am-6pm) and the bottom row represents the night tour (6pm-9am). An example looks like this:

http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php?...tach=606;image

Again, I don't want to come off like I'm some expert. I've been lucky enough to have been exposed to it my whole live and this is what I've come to learn. I know for damn sure I know NOTHING in comparison to the guys actually OTJ. Those are the guys you wanna talk to.

Hope that was informative or made sense, haha.

Edit: To the guy ranting about his percentage body fat and abs earlier, I regret to inform you that this calendar is unfortunately different than the FDNY calendar of all the shirtless firefighters.
    Last edited by Mtk123; 02-17-2013 at 02:11 AM.
    NYgrad2012 and DannyD0pe like this.

Forum Member

Everybody love everybody....But then again I'm just a silly 21 year old boy who doesn't know a thing. I'm sure a fat, out of shape 40+ lady is more sure of herself that she wants to be a NYC FF than little ol' me. -_-
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Maybe someone else who was present at either of the CPAT orientation seesions today can add their observations, but it sure seemed like there was an awful lot of people not prepared...or in other words, not in shape. Some looked to be way out of shape.

The instructors mentioned that 24 had dropped out from the current class and that approximately 20 more are on the edge.

There was an enthusiastic and blunt Lieutenant there today as well. He mentioned the city advertising all these great benefits of the job (ie flexible schedule), but neglected to mention that it's a tough job and that you actually go to fires. And that you could die doing it.

Looking at the calender, it's approximately 23 weeks until July 29th. It's going to be warm out there, for anyone who makes it into the class.
    Last edited by Minerva; 02-17-2013 at 03:37 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    Lol ... Yea I saw her too !!! She's going In !!!! Fruit smoothies and all
    And I saw this too. I'm speechless.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

No, when I received a phone call from an attorney that a lawsuit was in progress, I thought nothing of it. When they kept calling me about it I decided to see what it was all about and couldn’t believe the accusation that was going to be presented in the case. I couldn’t believe that a case was being presented based on a test, that people failed or didn’t score high enough on to get hired by the FDNY. I had no interest for the lawsuit until I heard about back pay money and a possibility of getting hired with the starting pay of 90k plus, etc.

Furthermore, I had no issue with the hiring process. I didn’t get a call back after my intake interview and I kept it moving and pursued other options that were out there for me to tackle. Hint, I got a BA in Business Management and worked in different fields, such as Finance, Social Service, etc.
    Bro seriously who are you trying to kid, you're accepting a hand out based on nothing but skin color
    Test 2000
    List #: 57XX

Forum Member

Spiderneck: Turn on private messages.

I'm enjoying everyone's discussion about summer vs. winter, since it's purely academic. As if you'd defer just because you don't want to go to probie school in July or January. All you guys thinking summer is going to be better are going to be in for a good time though once training begins. I bet after one week of bunker gear you're going to be begging for colder weather.
    FDsouthbxNY and coldblood92 like this.

Forum Member

Going to play some Sunday morning hoops, come home and relax for a bit. Then hit the training, I'm gonna be wiped out tonight. Happy training boys and girls....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Name a better one. And please dont base it on payscale. Becuz thats not what makes it the best.
    Guy Fieri has a pretty sick job hosting Diners, Drive Ins and Dives! I'd love to go around the country eating all that great food.

Forum Member

Does anyone know the date the list 2000 was established? That is, if it even officially has been established yet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chadxmerch View Post
    Does anyone know the date the list 2000 was established? That is, if it even officially has been established yet.
    It hasn't....

Forum Member

It was mentioned yesterday that the TENTATIVE date for the July class is the 29th, and in the opinion of the instructor (so not set in stone) the top 500 off of the OC have a shot to be in that class.
    zachryw2001 and coldblood92 like this.

Forum Member

Well I've found on decent resources (mind you this was told to me by an otj member, from a chief meeting, so take it with a grain of salt how true it is) that the July class will be hired as this : on a 2-1-2 basis being; 2 emt promos, then 1 Hispanic, then 2 African Americans, followed by 2 emt promos, 1 Hispanic, 2 African American, and so on and so on, until 293 ph are reached, or they disqualify them or until emt promos are exhausted..so keep training brothers ....motivate

Forum Member

We won't know anything certain until we get that dam phone call, so nothing left to do but to run, like our futures depend on it. ......and drink fruit smoothies lmao

Forum Member

Plan on July 29th. They know. They have it all planned out. When we started CPAT Prep in September they said the same thing about Jan 14th and it was spot on. We have been hearing July 29th for weeks now. First I heard June 10th with the orientation day being June 3rd (so if you're EMS off the street then). I was really hoping this was true but now it's really looks like July 29th. Makes sense. We will come out right before the holidays then theyll take some time for holidays and prob start another class Feb 2014. So figure July 22nd for orientation, books and quarter master. It's gonna come quick boys. Can't wait.
    HopefulFF likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Be careful what you wish for. You guys have other things to worry about rather than these two. The forum is more informative without them.

Entertainment can be found elsewhere.
    I know bam I was being sarcastic... Mega sarcastic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    Plan on July 29th. They know. They have it all planned out. When we started CPAT Prep in September they said the same thing about Jan 14th and it was spot on. We have been hearing July 29th for weeks now. First I heard June 10th with the orientation day being June 3rd (so if you're EMS off the street then). I was really hoping this was true but now it's really looks like July 29th. Makes sense. We will come out right before the holidays then theyll take some time for holidays and prob start another class Feb 2014. So figure July 22nd for orientation, books and quarter master. It's gonna come quick boys. Can't wait.
    For the promos hell yea guys you got July, and best of luck , for OC guys, we gotta see how the PH plays out and hope for the best. I'm in list # 6xx so I'm hoping hard but to many unknowns for OC guys until it physically happens, but atleast they processing us though

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post

Where does that put the 1.5 mile runs? First week of July?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SnatchBK View Post
    Last day of the CPAT testing is May 17th or 18th for the next class, they are looking to hiring between 3,000 and 4,000 with this list, My # is in the 7XX and I'm probably more than likely going to be in the winter class unless a lot of people don't make it to the july class which is possible but keep working out and training and stay positive
    Interesting if we follow PSI's breakdown and assessment that means they were looking at 2400, if they go to 3000 or 4000 on their breakdown or 1 in 4 that means people in the 9000s may very well get a call. Do I think that will happen, no not at all but where did you hear that high number from?

Also coldblooded no worries bro, upset however because technically you can't coach for a uncoachable part of an exam (non-cognitive) so if that is what they sent out then again that is something to be scrutinized over this exam.

Forum Member

I'm at 2xx and will be surprised to make it into the July Class. Obviously that would be a pleasant surprise. Maybe it's because of the way things have gone over the last several years, but, I just don't feel comfortable.

I sure wish they would give us a solid idea as to what's going to occur with the priority hires, how the city is going to go about that. That would make the picture a little clearer for a lot of us.

Meanwhile, one benefit I've found living in the city is that the snow doesn't stick around too long, when it snows, leaving the track and hills I run on clear. Where I grew up, running for wrestling in the morning time, before school, I was always traipsing through slush or ice, often in temperatures 15F or lower, during the winter months.

July-August-September-October will be warm, but, as I'm sure most you will agree, if they told me to report to the depths of hell for the academy, I'd be there lickity split, no question.
    Last edited by Minerva; 02-17-2013 at 02:01 PM.
    zachryw2001 and Spiderneck30 like this.

Forum Member

I wouldnt be surprised to see the city have the PHs go threw the whole process and then the city be like no no. There is a hold on these fellas. Bloomberg is a sneaky mofo...

Forum Member

I just find it amazing that you have all these opportunities in front of you and you don't take the chance to go to the cpat to be prepared. Why would you not take any opportunity to improve yourself and your chances of succeeding?
    Last edited by FdnyFFHopeful; 02-17-2013 at 09:53 PM.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

Thread Information