Like Tree9521Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Ignace_ fortunat View Post
    If it makes you feel better to correct ppl writing on here go ahead and do you and I'm glad that you admit that you are not an English teacher so leave the correcting to one because everyone on here has grammatical error in their writing. I don't need to google any phrase to know what's going on in the world but think you for the info tho. Mind you I'm not trying to pick sides in this issue as it will get me no where so keep on the good work and don't cut my head off thinking I'm attacking you
    I don't feel good or bad about it; I seriously am having a tough time understanding what some of you are getting at. "Grammatical error" is of no concern; the mangling of the English language to the point where you can't be understood is. And if you have that big of a problem being corrected when you're doing something wrong, I suggest the FDNY probably isn't the place for you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    If half the rumors are true... Half the proby class in now look like they never saw a gym in their life... And they are still in there..... Moral of this story: apparently you can look like **** and still manage to stay at the rock.
    You can be in decent shape and make it through the academy, you just need to have will/heart. I don't care if your physically a stud, if you have no heart/will you won't make it.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    A lot of people join the army, navy, not because they want to make a difference, but because they have no other option. But, they still do what they have to do too survive, etc. Of course, I am aware that this job is dangerous; does that mean I should not accept it? I am also aware that people lives are at stake. What makes you think I am not cable of performing this job to the best of my ability? I put 110% in any job I do.
    You obviously didn't put 110% into studying in because you got an 85. And the fact that you didn't so much as find out what your score was the second time you took the test tells a lot of us that you don't care. And, finally, you cited a phone call from a lawyer with an offer to get the job at top pay and be awarded back pay you never qualified for in the first place as your reason for taking the retest you don't deserve. That's why we don't think you'll be good at the job.

That about sum it up for you?

MembersZone Subscriber

If half the rumors are true... Half the proby class in now look like they never saw a gym in their life... And they are still in there..... Moral of this story: apparently you can look like **** and still manage to stay at the rock.
    My friend, I know 300 lbs lieutenants with 20+ years on that will SMOKE you getting to the firefloor. You wanna know who we normally see being taken from fire scenes on stretchers? The gym rats who live on rabbit food and sprouts who cluck all day at guys who don't have abs. Physical fitness is a great thing on this job but be careful about who looks like what; having 3 or 4% body fat means absolutely nothing.

Forum Member

I would be surprised if more than 50 ph make it through. The physical requirements are pretty easy for someone who is in decent shape, but nearly impossible for someone that hasn't been physically active in years.
    #30XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    Sooo.... How many reps and sets are you guys doing .... I went from doing 3 set 4-6 on heavy weight to 3 sets of 10 15 20 25 reps on light weight .. Is that good? What you guys do?
    I'm mixing it up. I usually do 2 6-8 rep sets and 2 20 rep sets. Cardio is kind though.
    #30XX

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkster View Post
    I'm mixing it up. I usually do 2 6-8 rep sets and 2 20 rep sets. Cardio is kind though.
    Google the Meyerjack workout. There's a few different variations of it online If you go to the CPAT practice sessions at the Rock they will give you the specific routine. It's pretty good.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    My friend, I know 300 lbs lieutenants with 20+ years on that will SMOKE you getting to the firefloor. You wanna know who we normally see being taken from fire scenes on stretchers? The gym rats who live on rabbit food and sprouts who cluck all day at guys who don't have abs. Physical fitness is a great thing on this job but be careful about who looks like what; having 3 or 4% body fat means absolutely nothing.
    So are you the 300 lb guy who would smoke me to the firefloor?... It's not my fault that I love living a healthy life, I go to the gym because I love working out and not because I want to "look good". I enjoy cooking my own healthy meals for me, my wife and my kid. You want to talk about being a gym rat but you clueless of what type of person I am. I don't know you but I can assure you I can SMOKE you in any physical activity,plus I don't need your help to tell me what I should do or not do because you already on the job, trust me I have plenty of friends on the job and don't even ask them for tips on how to make it through the academy because there is no doubt in my mind that I'm physically fit for it. One thing I do give you, you are a better fireman and have alot more knowledge than I do firefighting related because up until the point where I enter the academy I have no interest in knowing how to be a firefighter.
    Last edited by Jukez; 02-17-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Forum Member

Since I can't sign up till Tuesday for NYSC, I'll be going to the HS tomorrow to run up the bleachers. Go up, come back down, go up, come back down, etc. Wish I had a stair mill dammit!

MembersZone Subscriber

So are you the 300 lb guy who would smoke me to the firefloor?... It's not my fault that I love living a healthy life, I go to the gym because I love working out and not because I want to "look good". I enjoy cooking my own healthy meals for me, my wife and my kid. You want to talk about being a gym rat but you clueless of what type of person I am. I don't know you but I can assure you I can SMOKE you in any physical activity,plus I don't need your help to tell me what I should do or not do because you already on the job, trust me I have plenty of friends on the job and don't even ask them for tips on how to make it through the academy because there is no doubt in my mind that I'm physically fit for it. One thing I do give you, you are a better fireman and have alot more knowledge than I do firefighting related because up until the point where I enter the academy I have no interest in knowing how to be a firefighter.
    You officially know everything.
    I'm done trying to help (again).
    JerkAlert and mocon337 like this.

MembersZone Subscriber

OK, have it your way. I didn't say anything about you not being in shape. All I said was it's normally the guys who crow about how in shape they are who normally fall out of fires first. Mighty touchy aren't we? And you've been crowing about your abs, giving your fat percentages, height weight, hair color, turn ons and turn offs like some sort of Playboy centerfold every other post you've put up. How in the hell are you going to try to say you're not hung up on your looks?!

You're right, you don't know me. And it's mighty pompous to assume I'm not in good shape. But here's the big difference between us: I've proven myself on the firefloor and you haven't so much as gone to Metrotech for your orientation. Maybe save your opinions on who is in shape for fire duty and who isn't until you actually set foot on FDNY property.

Oh, and as far as me being out of shape. My conditioning program got me through 12 years in the Marine infantry with three tours in combat, proby school, and 5+ years of fire duty. Yours allows men to play tic tac toe on your abs. Might want to tone it down a bit; this ain't a job for pansies with spray tans and smoothies.
    Last edited by teufelhunden36; 02-17-2013 at 08:44 PM.
    sffdnyhopeful09 and knicksh2o like this.

Forum Member

OK, have it your way. I didn't say anything about you not being in shape. All I said was it's normally the guys who crow about how in shape they are and invite other dudes to play tic tac toe on their abs who normally fall out of fires first. Mighty touchy aren't we?

You're right, you don't know me. And it's mighty pompous to assume I'm not in good shape. But here's the big difference between us: I've proven myself on the firefloor and you haven't so much as gone to Metrotech for your orientation. Maybe save your opinions on who is in shape for fire duty and who isn't until you actually set foot on FDNY property.
    Really? Like go to your initial interview in HQ? Cpat practices at the rock before you go take that crappy cpat in queens? To then go take your medical and psychological? Then have your BI call you and tell you "you are ready for hire"?

Yea bro I was there in 08'. I step foot on FDNY grounds and almost licked it too.

Apparently you seem ok about someone coming on the job being 300 pounds, I understand someone being on the job for a decade but someone just getting on in their 20s???? Come on man
    Last edited by Jukez; 02-17-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY2000 View Post
    We really need to watch how we address people. Remember, this is the internet and that means a certain level of anonymity.

I wouldn't put it past the Vulcans to pretend to be a PH and post on this forum to generate some sort of "attacks'' that can be used to placate the people who want to be FDNY firefighters as the type of people to perpetuate the "stubborn bastion of white-male privilege." Catch my drift?

The best thing that any of use can do is to focus on the task and hand and ignore the desire to indulge in any rhetoric that could possibly be construed as offensive. It sure would suck to have one of our "anonymous" posts end up in the Times or the Post, or worse yet, as an exhibit in Federal Court.
    You guys are right I just let my initial anger from his ridiculous response get to me first which is unlike me but I just couldn't believe what he said. I changed my post if those of you who quoted me wouldn't mind doing the same as well it would be appreciated.

I just can't believe when given the biggest opportunity in the world how could you not take advantage of any and all help, assistance, and knowledge given such as going to the cpat review. I have done everything to help me advance including going to the Vulcans group review where myself and two other white males were treated like scum in front of a news crew, but of course that story was never told, and I went back for each one.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

It's just really sad to see so many guys with the opportunity of a lifetime have no real interest in the job. Many members will get hurt or killed because of this.
    Dannypanigale likes this.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    It's just really sad to see so many guys with the opportunity of a lifetime have no real interest in the job. Many members will get hurt or killed because of this.
    OC, PH, it doesn't matter. If none of them are gonna take this opportunity seriously, they should back out. It's a shame some people on both list will waste a space through the process.
    Dannypanigale and Blinkster like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    OC, PH, it doesn't matter. If none of them are gonna take this opportunity seriously, they should back out. It's a shame some people on both list will waste a space through the process.
    They should advertise the job with a video like this or add something like this ....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QN5iucMGbDo#
    Last edited by Dannypanigale; 02-17-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    They should advertise the job with a video like this or add something like this ....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QN5iucMGbDo#
    I've seen that video before, wish they would've shown the girl. LOL
    Looks like they are gonna push you to the limit, just gotta keep focused, and get rewarded at the end, and throughout your career.

Forum Member

I don't feel good or bad about it; I seriously am having a tough time understanding what some of you are getting at. "Grammatical error" is of no concern; the mangling of the English language to the point where you can't be understood is. And if you have that big of a problem being corrected when you're doing something wrong, I suggest the FDNY probably isn't the place for you.
    Hahaha...I'll take your suggestion into consideration since you have a better idea of what place that isn't probably good for me. Any idea of where I should go since you are in the suggestion mood

Forum Member

What about 20 rep squats and 1-3 rep Deads? are those gonna be worthless? If I am also doing stairs and running?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Ignace_ fortunat View Post
    Hahaha...I'll take your suggestion into consideration since you have a better idea of what place that isn't probably good for me. Any idea of where I should go since you are in the suggestion mood
    Stay in accounting.

Forum Member

You spent a hell of a lot of space for a comment you didn't intend to be taken seriously. And then backed it up with your response. It's not that you're off or even wrong; it's that it's none of your concern.

And you may take heed to what that NCO of yours told you; it'll serve well in the academy. Go right ahead and call it a "station house" on your first day. Then come back here and tell us what happened.

Once again, the post about the ph/firehouse thing was a JOKE. I mean i really dont even see how anyone couldve taken that seriously. If i WAS serious, i wouldve apologized immediately upon getting chewed out by you. But thank you for correcting me on the station house/firehouse thing. However im sure ill get my backside handed to me at the rock for many other reasons.

Thank you for your service, your advice and your concern.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    What about 20 rep squats and 1-3 rep Deads? are those gonna be worthless? If I am also doing stairs and running?
    the only day a week I do an isolated muscle group for lifting is legs. I'll do 2x20 of squats, using much lighter weights than I could max out at. Then I'll do some straight leg dead lifts before jumping on the stairmill. I'll do some more leg work after that but my legs are pretty beat up by the time I'm jumping on the stairmill. I stopped doing a more traditional squat routine since I think it's more relevant to be able to do a much greater amount of reps at a lighter weight than a heavier weight at 3 reps. Also if you run through those 20 reps quickly it becomes a good cardio workout as well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    That's what I've started doing dude. Leg press/lunges Monday and Friday with the rest of my circuit (light weight, high rep). And then on Wednesdays, dedicate the whole workout to heavy lifting with low reps. So squat like 3x5 or 5x5 and DL 1x3/5. Also leaving for Italy for 10 days Thursday. Gonna be tough to keep up with the weights but the running should def. be doable.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

I've trained with, competed with and been coached and mentored by some pretty dang tough people in my short life. They are men in good physical condition, men who have not been in a gym in years. It does not take a gym to get into and maintain good physical condition. And being good in the 'gym' is a lot different than competing 'out there.'

I've trained with a few with people who bragged that they were better than everyone else and that they would be taking people's spots. In the end, on those occasions, the same people bragging about how good they were also somehow managed to not finish the season.

If you're ready to go, if you are prepared, if you are in top physical condition, then let your actions and performance speak for itself. Quiet confidence and consistently good performance will not go unnoticed and will be respected.

I might add that they best leaders I've encountered were people of few words, who led by example and through their actions. That's how they inspired others, built trust and made those around them better. And when they did speak, you listened closely, because you understood it was going to be important.

Forum Member

I think you should pay attention to what myself and the other guys on the job are trying to tell you. NONE of this is YOUR concern. YOUR concern is getting through the Rock and your probation. Never mind race, PH's or any of that other crap. It's advice from guys who have been through it. If you don't like my responses or the fact that you think I've taken you out of "context", wait'll you get to the Rock and then your house.

You don't want to listen? Don't. You want to deflect and pretend you were kidding around? Enjoy yourself. By all means, take your mouth right to the Rock. I'll never know who you are or when you get there, but I'll be able to smile knowing the realization of how wrong you are is going to bea painful one. Best of luck.

Your advice, as well as all others otj, is greatly appreciated by myself and most of us on this forum. I will ALWAYS heed the advice of those who have gone before me. What reason do i have not to listen to you. I have no issue with anything youve said as to what we all should be primarily focused on; that is, getting thru the rock and probation. But this forum has sort of become a PH centered forum instead of an OC centered one, hopefully we can all remain on track.

The only 2 elements of your post which has me confused is:

1) What am i not listening/dont want to listen to?
    2) What am i wrong about?

Becuz u said youll be smiling when i get to the rock and find out that im wrong about something. And if its about that ph/firehouse post then again that was only a joke sir. lol i mean it really was. idk why u dont believe me if thats what youre talking about. But again thanks for your advice and such advice is always welcome and appreciated.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Thread Information