Like Tree9521Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #7676
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephenscm View Post
    hey guys, on a different note, does anyone know about the fdny sports teams? like baseball, hockey, football etc? as a proby, can one tryout for the teams, or does one have to finish the proby period?
    I think as a proby the last thing one should be thinking about is sports. If fortunate enough to get to that point our heads should be focused on absorbing as much info as possible from senior guys. It would be interesting to hear if it is possible though

  2. #7677
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    Ha! We'll see HopefulFF. I'm going to be 30 when we run! Yikes! I have been distance runner for about 10 years now and they say that you hit your best years for running in your 30's but something tells me there will be some 21 year old kid dusting me lol. Just got back in from a quick 5 miler with those straight west winds coming across the beach.....I love running but man that sucked. Gimme' the heat any day of the week. I know i'll prob be eating those words this summer but for right now thats all I can think of. I'll be in Puerto Rico for almost 3 weeks in March getting some hot runs in everyday. Can't wait!

    And yes it sucked just missing this class. The past month was pretty depressing. What are you gonna do though? (shruggs.....) I'm over it now. I have to be. Its not healthy dwelling on that. The hardest part was losing all my partners. They are some of my best friends so work is a little strange but who cares. I'm in the summer class. That is what matters now. There are a whole lot of guys who would love to be in my current situation and I can't take it for granted. I worked hard enough the past 5 and 1/2 years to afford me the opportunity of being a part of the summer class before a lot of guys who scored higher than me. Moaning and bitching about not making the first class kind of throws all that out the window. 6 extra months in EMS for the best job the rest of my life.......Focus.......
    Have fun in pr don't know where your going but checkout the northwest tip if you get a chance I lived in a town called aguadilla for 3 an a half years and still go there 4 or 5 times a winter and stay with friends on the coast guard base. Also the **** fighting season just started so soak up the culture

  3. #7678
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    474

    Default

    That got sensored the rooster fights cuz the other word gets automatically sensored lol
    mocon337 likes this.

  4. #7679
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    363

    Default

    Just did 6 mins on the stairs with 50 lbs, 5 mins with 40 lbs and 3mins20 seconds with 70 lbs with an assortment of workouts in between. Keepin my heart rate up. No breaks! I'm not gonna worry about running until it gets a little nicer out. Hows everyone's workouts going? Any good circuits? I find doing stairs, straight into pushups (with my vest on), walking 40 lb weights across the gym and back (to recreate the equipment carry) right to shoulder press then right to sit ups/leg raises works well for me. Then murder it all at the end with pull ups, dips and more pushups. By set number three I'm dying lol.

  5. #7680
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    657

    Default

    I freakin hate sit ups, I can do them, but just hate them.

  6. #7681
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    64

    Default

    By the way, am I the only one who didn't sign up for the Mentorship program? I'm not really the type to ask for help, even thought I completely agree its a great program but it's just not for me, I'll make friends at the academy and even ask whatever instructors after the classes or whatever works

  7. #7682
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Just did 6 mins on the stairs with 50 lbs, 5 mins with 40 lbs and 3mins20 seconds with 70 lbs with an assortment of workouts in between. Keepin my heart rate up. No breaks! I'm not gonna worry about running until it gets a little nicer out. Hows everyone's workouts going? Any good circuits? I find doing stairs, straight into pushups (with my vest on), walking 40 lb weights across the gym and back (to recreate the equipment carry) right to shoulder press then right to sit ups/leg raises works well for me. Then murder it all at the end with pull ups, dips and more pushups. By set number three I'm dying lol.
    One thing I've started doing is lightweight on the bench, say 135, or any weight you could pump out 10 reps easily with max pushups in between each set. By the 3rd or 4th set you won't be able to do 10 pushups haha. Also the walking weights across the gym I just started too. People look at you funny, but when you're done your forearms are on fire haha.
    Mtk123 likes this.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

  8. #7683
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SnatchBK View Post
    By the way, am I the only one who didn't sign up for the Mentorship program? I'm not really the type to ask for help, even thought I completely agree its a great program but it's just not for me, I'll make friends at the academy and even ask whatever instructors after the classes or whatever works
    Don't worry about it. It's new and will have its kinks to work out. It was specifically introduced to help those that needed the extra phone calls, home visits and rides to every single step along the way.

    Overall, it's all of our' job to watch over you and guide you along the way when you get to the firehouse. We'll be working right along side of you. You'll be expected to do more as a probie, but we do everything together.
    FDsouthbxNY and DJ_Reverse like this.

  9. #7684
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    P.S. I was brought up with "IF YOU DON'T HAVE SOMETHING NICE TO SAY DON'T SAY NOTHING"
    Don't say anything.
    Don't say nothing is a double-negative

  10. #7685
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Don't worry about it. It's new and will have its kinks to work out. It was specifically introduced to help those that needed the extra phone calls, home visits and rides to every single step along the way.

    Overall, it's all of our' job to watch over you and guide you along the way when you get to the firehouse. We'll be working right along side of you. You'll be expected to do more as a probie, but we do everything together.
    What exactly is the mentoring program?
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

  11. #7686
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Fwiw, I think the answer is going to be something along the lines of "wait and find out for yourself buddy..."
    Nah it's really not anything that top secret or unexpected. We get lectures and a lot of hands on practice. The material is not rocket science, however there is a lot of stuff to cover and getting all the reading done each night is often hard to do. This also isn't like college where you can do your best to sleep in the back and hide the fact that you haven't opened the textbook in a week.
    nycthirteen likes this.

  12. #7687
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Tough little push-up challenge that helps build endurance. I started with ten and now can almost do 20. (Took quite a bit of time)

    Ten push ups, rest in up position for 10 seconds, 9 push ups then rest in up for 9 seconds, etc down to 0.

    Also

    Ten push ups with 10lb weights in your hands, then do ten raises with each hand then crawl forward using only your hands, continue down to 0. No rests. Use rounded weights to also help improve balance/core as well.

    Similar to this basically
    http://youtu.be/4YFFvp1g024
    mocon337 likes this.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

  13. #7688
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Currently IL
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Don't say anything.
    Don't say nothing is a double-negative
    Lol. Never said English was my greatest class in school.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

    "But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

  14. #7689
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    425

    Default

    I signed up for mentoring, figured it couldn't hurt. I'll take everything they'll offer. Who else ran today in this cold? I ran today and actually felt really good. I recently dropped the treadmill from my training, you progress so much faster running outside or doing hills.
    Dannypanigale likes this.

  15. #7690
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    I signed up for mentoring, figured it couldn't hurt. I'll take everything they'll offer. Who else ran today in this cold? I ran today and actually felt really good. I recently dropped the treadmill from my training, you progress so much faster running outside or doing hills.
    Feel the same way man. The scenery keeps your mind occupied. And since my body kind of acclimated to that cold air/burning lungs feeling, I actually started enjoying running outside. Especially once I'm finished haha.
    grok350 likes this.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

  16. #7691
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    I signed up for mentoring, figured it couldn't hurt. I'll take everything they'll offer. Who else ran today in this cold? I ran today and actually felt really good. I recently dropped the treadmill from my training, you progress so much faster running outside or doing hills.
    Ive always really struggled with running in the cold. It really hurts my chest. It's not something that I have ever done consistently over a period of time.

    Same experience? Do you get use to it?

  17. #7692
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    Ive always really struggled with running in the cold. It really hurts my chest. It's not something that I have ever done consistently over a period of time.

    Same experience? Do you get use to it?
    Yes, you get used to it, just in the beginning, don't over do it. If you are just starting off, make sure you have good sneakers for outside. If not, your feet and legs may take a pounding.

  18. #7693
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    Ive always really struggled with running in the cold. It really hurts my chest. It's not something that I have ever done consistently over a period of time.

    Same experience? Do you get use to it?
    Yea I had trouble with it for a while. What worked for me was covering my mouth. After a while the air becomes too warm anyway that you have to uncover it. Then you acclimate pretty fast to the cold air. This even worked a few weeks ago when it was like 10 degrees out.
    Dannypanigale likes this.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

  19. #7694
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    Ive always really struggled with running in the cold. It really hurts my chest. It's not something that I have ever done consistently over a period of time.

    Same experience? Do you get use to it?
    With me after about a half mile i work up a decent inner warmth and that makes it easier. Either way itwon't be easy running when its cold but what makes me get out there and do it is just telling myself I'm getting paid to train, the only thing between me and the academy is training and there's no way a little cold is going to stop me from getting on
    zachryw2001 likes this.

  20. #7695
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    844

    Default

    Running in the cold isn't that bad, usually after 5 minutes I'm completely warmed up even have the feeling back in my hands. But when it gets windy it takes so much longer to warm up. Some times it'll take up to two miles for me to get warmed up and get the feeling back in my hands. I have been running nearly everyday but I made sure to skip yesterday lol
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

  21. #7696
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    I almost forgot ... Anyone doing tough mudder this oct coming up ????? Can't wait
    Doing the Citi Field Spartan sprint in August and the one in Tuxedo as well and the Super Spartan in August. These races are mega addicting lol. Also if I get the all clear to get back in the water from my doc I'm hoping to get back into doing tris. Ever since the 6019 class was canceled I've struggled with gym consistency issues and signing up for these races have helped keep me in decent shape. Don't get me wrong, I'm not winning any races but I'm also not struggling for the 1.5 or any of the other fitness tests.
    I do most of my running in the Pelham Bay park section of the Bronx. If anyone is ever interested in training let me know. Like I said I'm not breaking any land speed records and could always use some to help push the boundaries or vice versa.

    Good luck to us all and I for one am praying for the appeals court to reverse every one of king Garafuis' rulings.

  22. #7697
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    425

    Default

    How many miles/week is everyone doing? I was doing 15-18 but it was indoor. Getting back outside I'm starting with 12/week and I'll slowly increase it.

  23. #7698
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Currently IL
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    How many miles/week is everyone doing? I was doing 15-18 but it was indoor. Getting back outside I'm starting with 12/week and I'll slowly increase it.
    I'm at 14/16 a week right now.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

    "But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

  24. #7699
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sffdnyhopeful09 View Post
    Doing the Citi Field Spartan sprint in August and the one in Tuxedo as well and the Super Spartan in August. These races are mega addicting lol. Also if I get the all clear to get back in the water from my doc I'm hoping to get back into doing tris. Ever since the 6019 class was canceled I've struggled with gym consistency issues and signing up for these races have helped keep me in decent shape. Don't get me wrong, I'm not winning any races but I'm also not struggling for the 1.5 or any of the other fitness tests.
    I do most of my running in the Pelham Bay park section of the Bronx. If anyone is ever interested in training let me know. Like I said I'm not breaking any land speed records and could always use some to help push the boundaries or vice versa.

    Good luck to us all and I for one am praying for the appeals court to reverse every one of king Garafuis' rulings.

    Tell me more about this race. Will I get lumped up and bruised? I want that. I need to feel some physical pain right now after finding out my ex long term girl is seeing someone new.

    I need to taste blood.
    mocon337 and Dannypanigale like this.

  25. #7700
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Stay in accounting.
    Thank you but I wanna try something more exciting and fulfilling

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 36 users browsing this thread. (10 members and 26 guests)

  1. 40&OUT,
  2. 4040clubBouncer,
  3. apples&oranges,
  4. BklynFDNY89,
  5. DannyD0pe,
  6. EKFCASPER,
  7. jes82,
  8. k20dc2,
  9. Matador611,
  10. Praying_Patiently

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 12:13 PM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register