Like Tree11346Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    How many miles/week is everyone doing? I was doing 15-18 but it was indoor. Getting back outside I'm starting with 12/week and I'll slowly increase it.
    Thats a lot of running. Not saying its too much, but when you actually think about how far it is from your house each day its pretty crazy.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    You do realize every time you put up a post in barely intelligible English while trying to sound like a smartass you prove my point, right?

I think you should go to the city parks enforcement patrol; writing tickets to people littering in Central Park is about all you can handle at this point.
    Nice...I see you get a kick out of insulting people or me for that matter. It must be eating the $h!t out of you know that your words can't hurt me. Your bully ways might have worked in high school but I assure you it won't work on me but you can keep trying tho. You might be better suited to be an advisor with all the advice you are throwing around...I'm just saying

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Tell me more about this race. Will I get lumped up and bruised? I want that. I need to feel some physical pain right now after finding out my ex long term girl is seeing someone new.

I need to taste blood.
    Do tough mudder ... I'm sure you can taste some blood .. Just don't brake anything

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Thats a lot of running. Not saying its too much, but when you actually think about how far it is from your house each day its pretty crazy.
    It is ... At first I was **** now I have to run back home

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Ignace_ fortunat View Post
    Nice...I see you get a kick out of insulting people or me for that matter. It must be eating the $h!t out of you know that your words can't hurt me. Your bully ways might have worked in high school but I assure you it won't work on me but you can keep trying tho. You might be better suited to be an advisor with all the advice you are throwing around...I'm just saying
    If you are really going to keep stirring stuff up with him, will you please just message any gripes or complaints to him that way the forum can stay focused on helping each other.

Thank you in advance.

(I'm not picking sides, I'm just tired of scrolling threw a bunch of nonsense to find useful information.)
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

How many miles/week is everyone doing? I was doing 15-18 but it was indoor. Getting back outside I'm starting with 12/week and I'll slowly increase it.
    Anywhere from 12-15 but so far this month I have done 47 miles, want to get to 70 for the month and I want to get to get 20-25 miles a week eventually.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    this video is bad ***. I am going to email this to my son since he is doing his football thing. I am also going to push it a little more in the gym tomorrow. Thanks for the video.
    mocon337 and coldblood92 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Anywhere from 12-15 but so far this month I have done 47 miles, want to get to 70 for the month and I want to get to get 20-25 miles a week eventually.
    I try to do 5 miles a day, but intend to do 15 miles in three days and the other two days run three miles at a 7.5-8.0 pace. Jogging is easy but I have to get my body into running.

Forum Member

A little bit of sweet inspiration for anyone who feels like quitting during a run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZlXWp6vFdE

Train hard and keep on running!
    zachryw2001 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    It really isn't that much lol. You figure in the academy I've heard they can do runs anywhere from 3-8 miles, if you get your body used to it now, not saying you'll breeze through the rock, but it'll be a bit easier on yourself and less of a shock. Also the type of miles matters, for instance start off gradually do 8-10 miles/week, have your interval running next to your slow pace endurance runs so you don't put too much stress on your body. For example on a five day week, m/w/f endurance and tue/thur interval training(sprint 30sec jog/walk30sec) and adjust it based on how your body feels.

My goal is to be doing 25-30miles/week comfortably

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sffdnyhopeful09 View Post
    Doing the Citi Field Spartan sprint in August and the one in Tuxedo as well and the Super Spartan in August. These races are mega addicting lol. Also if I get the all clear to get back in the water from my doc I'm hoping to get back into doing tris. Ever since the 6019 class was canceled I've struggled with gym consistency issues and signing up for these races have helped keep me in decent shape. Don't get me wrong, I'm not winning any races but I'm also not struggling for the 1.5 or any of the other fitness tests.
    I do most of my running in the Pelham Bay park section of the Bronx. If anyone is ever interested in training let me know. Like I said I'm not breaking any land speed records and could always use some to help push the boundaries or vice versa.

Good luck to us all and I for one am praying for the appeals court to reverse every one of king Garafuis' rulings.

I live 2 blocks from the track. I been sticking to the gym to avoid the cold. Maybe we could go for a couple of runs once it warms up c
    sffdnyhopeful09 likes this.
    #30XX

Forum Member

This is exactly what I'm doing. 25 miles a week, I run 4 times a week with 2 of them being long runs for 8 miles at a steady pace and the other two 4.5 miles fast paced pretty much close to sprinting.

Forum Member

Just registered for the April Spartan Sprint Race at Citi. Anyone else doing it? It'll probably be the first time I'm going to Citi Field excited about something since it opened -_-.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx

Forum Member

I've just been doing 6 miles a day 5 days a week keeping a 8-8:30/mile pace.
    Exam 2000
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    I've just been doing 6 miles a day 5 days a week keeping a 8-8:30/mile pace.
    That's great, wish i could keep a 8min pace for 6miles lol, do you do marathons?

Forum Member

Nope, never really ran before in my life other than some football in highschool. Just started running and would push myself a little further, a little faster, day after day. No special training or methods, just run and push.

I do find myself competing with other runners on the path which gives me an extra push. But as corny as it is whenever I start to hit a wall I just think one day I'm going to be a firefighter, and one day someone will be counting on me to be there and not quit be it a brother or civilian. That usually helps me push through the walls.
    Exam 2000
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

That's great, wish i could keep a 8min pace for 6miles lol, do you do marathons?
    Just keep running, I noticed with myself the more I run the further the distance I'm able to run and the faster pace. I'm able to keep an 8:30 mile pace for 5 miles and 8:00 pace for 4 miles. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I can bust out some 6 mile runs. I'm at the point where if I can't run I'm ****ed off. And thankfully my schedule has allowed me to run as much as possible. No moving, no Hurricaine Sandys, no holidays, no nagging injuries, the weather has been pretty good.

BTW am I the only one who is now dropping down several times a day and doing 30 push ups randomly lol.
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Just keep running, I noticed with myself the more I run the further the distance I'm able to run and the faster pace. I'm able to keep an 8:30 mile pace for 5 miles and 8:00 pace for 4 miles. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I can bust out some 6 mile runs. I'm at the point where if I can't run I'm ****ed off. And thankfully my schedule has allowed me to run as much as possible. No moving, no Hurricaine Sandys, no holidays, no nagging injuries, the weather has been pretty good.

BTW am I the only one who is now dropping down several times a day and doing 30 push ups randomly lol.
    I do pushups while watching tv usually every commercial. Literally doing that its around 2-300 a day. Thats good on the mileage and pace, is this on a track or straight road?

Forum Member

Do you run on days you do vest and stairmill work?

Forum Member

good Q. I am only running 3 days a week right now because I am devoting 2 days to the stairmill. I take 2 days off during the week just to rest up. I could use an 8th day in the week for more training.

Forum Member

Yes I do, but a lot also depends on how I'm feeling that day. If I know I'm sluggish and have no energy I may just do one that given day. Though lately I have been doing the step mill without my vest on. The gym has still been pretty crowded since the New Year so in the time it takes me to go back to my locker and get my vest on someone else has gotten on the step mill. I really want to get back to doing it with my vest on though. To make up for the lack of vest I usually do it for 80 steps per minute. Speaking of vest, does anyone know any stores in Queens or Nassau that sell vest ? The vest I have been using someone gave to me a while ago and I found out it's only 40 LBS and want to upgrade to a 60 pound vest. And the decent value ones I see online lose the decent value when you factor in shipping.
    Last edited by TomFromQueens; 02-19-2013 at 12:22 PM.
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Yes I do, but a lot also depends on how I'm feeling that day. If I know I'm sluggish and have no energy I may just do one that given day. Though lately I haven't been doing the step mill without my vest on. The gym has still been pretty crowded since the New Year so in the time it takes me to go back to my locker and get my vest on someone else has gotten on the step mill. I really want to get back to doing it with my vest on though. To make up for the lack of vest I usually do it for 80 steps per minute. Speaking of vest, does anyone know any stores in Queens or Nassau that sell vest ? The vest I have been using someone gave to me a while ago and I found out it's only 40 LBS and want to upgrade to a 60 pound vest. And the decent value ones I see online lose the decent value when you factor in shipping.
    I have a 50lbs vest, and I made a 25lb Bulgarian Training Bag. I throw the BTB on my shoulders when I have the vest on. IMO this is a much better way to go than buying a bigger vest. The BTB materials cost me MAYBE $20. Any vest you buy will be much more than that. You can always adjust the amount of sand in the bag as you get stronger.

http://artofmanliness.com/2011/10/21...-training-bag/

Can also hit up youtube for a step by step of how to make the bag if you want to follow along with someone. It took me about a half hour to put the bag together.
    Last edited by HopefulFF; 02-19-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    TomFromQueens likes this.

Forum Member

Anybody know how often pull-ups/chin-ups are done in the academy? That's always been a strong point for me and was wondering if they are even done that frequently since I hear a lot about pushups.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes I do, but a lot also depends on how I'm feeling that day. If I know I'm sluggish and have no energy I may just do one that given day. Though lately I have been doing the step mill without my vest on. The gym has still been pretty crowded since the New Year so in the time it takes me to go back to my locker and get my vest on someone else has gotten on the step mill. I really want to get back to doing it with my vest on though. To make up for the lack of vest I usually do it for 80 steps per minute. Speaking of vest, does anyone know any stores in Queens or Nassau that sell vest ? The vest I have been using someone gave to me a while ago and I found out it's only 40 LBS and want to upgrade to a 60 pound vest. And the decent value ones I see online lose the decent value when you factor in shipping.
    Don't know how much your looking to spend, but this is what I have used for probably 2 years. works great and very durable (survived a year in Afghanistan).

http://www.weightvest.com/100-lb-wei...-vmax-training

Its really two 50 lb vest that are designed to fit together.
    Last edited by zachryw2001; 02-19-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Thread Information